[Drama 2019-2020/2021] Love Alarm, 좋아하면 울리는 - Season 2 out now

0ly40

@Myokie , you've just read my mind. I hope you're not a Love Alarm developer, I'd be embarrassed if anybody discovers I ring Kim So-hyun's alarm...

Love Alarm spoiler - whole series - level 5:

Spoiler

Besides Jo-jo being cheerful about 0.1% out of her screen time*, your last thought has a name in the world in k-drama: noble idiocy. I'm as frustrated as you, because this is a cheap plot idea which has been used only a billion times. Let's hope they write a good explanation in season 2, if there's season 2...

Another frustration: in my opinion, Hye-young was a more interesting character than Sun-oh. And just when his relationship with Jo-jo was starting to develop, bang! Drama ends. This is unfair. On the opposite, Jo-jo and Sun-oh ship was romantic and cute, but I kind of find it less believable. Maybe because it started so suddenly... 

Another character which I started to love was the actual app developer. His "meetings" with Jo-jo were warm and absolutely lovely, besides not being mutually attracted... And suddenly, noooooooooooooo.... :tears:

* For all Kim So-hyun followers: I'd started to see the "queen of crying and sadness" Han Ga-eun (Emperor: Master of the Mask) in Jo-jo, and that is hardly good... only God knows how I thanked those last scenes with Hye-young, and all the smiles she gave us.

By the way, I'm 100% #teamHyeYoung .

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K-drama ‘Love Alarm’ Asks If A Love App Would Make Love Easier

Love Alarm

Could a love alarm guide your love life? Song Kang, Kim So Hyun and Jung Ga Ram star in a drama that wants to know.

NETFLIX

No form of media captures the pain and euphoria of falling in love quite like Korean TV dramas, even if such scenarios occasionally rely on romantic cliches. The new rom com, Love Alarm, gives the familiar genre a fresh twist by imagining a world where smartphones can tell anyone who downloads a Love Alarm app if someone nearby is in love with them. 

The app creates as many problems as it solves. While it’s possible to imagine that a love app can help people avoid embarrassing mistakes—such as, say, confessing feelings to the wrong person—it doesn’t quite work out that way. Sometimes it’s hard to pinpoint which person in a crowd is sending that love signal. Some people never get a ping. Naturally popular and attractive people  suffer from the annoyance of non-stop pings. Furthermore, not everyone—due to a lack of money or a lack of interest—has downloaded the app.

Having—or not having— the app only complicates life for the main characters in this k-drama, which is based on the popular webtoon Love Alarm by Kye Young Chan.

Kim So Hyun, plays the drama’s heroine JoJo. She's an adult at the start of the drama, but the storyline quickly takes her back to school, where she’s a poor orphan, working the multiple, part-time jobs that k-drama heroines must often manage alongside schoolwork.

Jung Ga Ram, who won a 2016 Daejong Film Award for Best New Actor, for his role the film Fourth Place,plays her co-worker Lee Hye Yeong. His character secretly has a crush on her, but is too shy to say anything and neither of them have downloaded the Love Alarm app. His ability to confess his feelings is soon further complicated by the reappearance of his rich, attractive friend, Hwang Sun Oh, played by rising rookie actor Song Kang. Song has been in four dramas since his debut in 2017 and currently also plays a role in When The Devil Calls Your Name.

Everyone is in love with Hwang Sun Oh or so the Love Alarm app makes it seem. When he meets JoJo and her phone doesn’t ping, he’s intrigued. This is standard fare for plucky poor girl-jaded rich boy k-dramas, but hopefully the love app will take this storyline somewhere interesting.

Kim So Hyun is well cast as JoJo and was one of the actresses fans of the manga hoped would fill the role. Kim, who began her career as a child actress in 2006, transitions seamlessly from the young career woman viewers first meet to the high school student in the flashback. K-drama audiences have watched the actress grow up from playing the child empress in Moon Embracing The Sun to appearing as a girl caught up in tragedy in Missing You and then seen her take leading roles in Hey Ghost, Let’s Fight and Radio Romance. Together, the three young actors create a compelling love triangle.

Another thing that makes the first episode of this drama interesting is that two of the lead actors kiss without even professing they are in love. Korean dramas tend to be conservative with romantic dramas often waiting until the ninth or tenth episode for the lead actors to even share the chastest of kisses. In this drama, the actors not only kiss but it’s obvious they are just curious and drawn to each other.

Apps do make life simpler but they can also complicate it. Hopefully, the drama will offer clues as to whether a Love Alarm might work in real life or whether falling in love should really happen the old fashioned way.

Love Alarm was produced by Netflix in conjunction with Studio Dragon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2019/08/22/k-drama-love-alarm-asks-if-a-love-app-would-make-love-easier/#c43a9a6601fe

Interview: Get To Know The 3 Main Cast In Netflix’s Love Alarm

Director Lee Na-jeong had 3 things in mind when filming “Love Alarm” – she wanted it to be more dynamic, gritty, and realistic. “Chon Kye-young’s webtoon wasn’t all simply light and fun, but it also had depth in terms of its exploration of love,” she said.

Hype was fortunate enough to attend the “Love Alarm” press conference in Seoul earlier this week. During the session, we given a better insight into how the main 3 leads – Kim So-hyun (김소현), Jung Ga-ram (정가람) and Song Kang (송강) – approach their respective roles.

For the uninitiated, here’s a brief intro about “Love Alarm” by So-hyun:

‘Love Alarm’ features an app called Love Alarm, which rings when someone who has a
crush on you is within a 10-meter radius. ‘Love Alarm’ is a Netflix original series about
Jojo, Hye-young, and Sun-oh building their complicated relationship through this app and the series follows and explores the changing emotions of these characters and budding
romances.”

Kim Jojo

Love_Alarm_Unit_04-181224-0545-1.jpeg?re

“Jojo lives with her aunt after going through a tough childhood due to a tragic event. Jojo perfectly hides her painful past and tries to have a positive attitude towards life. But her life is stirred by the introduction of Love Alarm and Sun-oh’s presence. Jojo and Sun-oh start their first romance after learning about each other’s feelings through the app in a world where people can’t hide their feelings.”

So-hyun on her character: “Jojo has been through and is in a very tough and difficult situation, but never loses her positivity and confidence inside. That made me feel quite sympathetic for her, but she’s someone who you feel more interested in and curious about the more you see her.”

Lee Hye-young

Love_Alarm_Unit_04-190104-0654-1.jpg?res

ADVERTISEMENT

“Son of the helper for Sun-oh’s family, Hye-young is Sun-oh’s best friend. He grew up in a family of modest means, but he also grew up with a loving and caring mother, which is why he is kind and considerate of others. In fact, he cares so much about his friendship with Sun-oh that he hides his feelings for Jojo even though he had a crush on her before Sun-oh did.”

Ga-ram on landing the role: “I was also a huge fan of the original story. And even before the decision was made to create a Netflix original series, I always liked Hye-young. So, when I was offered the role and met with director Lee, I communicated very clearly how much I like the character. I shared with director Lee a lot of my interpretation of Hye-young’s thoughts and we shaped the character together for the series.”

Hwang Sun-oh

Love_Alarm_Unit_02-181127-0255.jpg?resiz

“Being from a rich family and having a career as a model, this handsome guy has everything that a person could wish for. He’s so popular that his Love Alarm never stops ringing, but what no one knows is that he actually feels empty inside. He falls so deeply in love with Jojo that knowing his best friend Hye-young also likes her doesn’t stop him from pursuing her. For the first time, his Love Alarm rings and rings for Jojo.”

Fun fact: It was revealed that Song Kang beat over 900 hopefuls (a lot of them were models and K-pop idols) to emerge victorious as the one to portray Sun-oh. The filmmaker told us that his “innocent and sentimental aura” ultimately won her over.

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-08-23-at-11.15.42-AM.pn

To get a better insight on how the trio tackled their roles in “Love Alarm”, check out our exclusive interview and what was discussed during the press con:

Love confession has been a major theme in many Korean dramas. How would you explain that concept to international fans?

So-hyun: In our Korean culture, confessing your love to someone and having that love be reciprocated is very important, because once that is done, we can move on to the actual relationship happening.

We really need to know what the other person is feeling in order to start a relationship in full scale. Viewers from other cultures may understand this application as something that can help people become lovers because confessing your love can be very difficult and hard to express what you’re feeling in words.

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-08-23-at-11.39.49-AM.pn

How would you confess your feelings to your love in real life?

So-hyun: Maybe writing a letter.

Ga-ram: It’s probably an etiquette to meet the person face to face and confess your love.

So-hyun: These days, people also don’t just suddenly declare to be boyfriend-girlfriend. It kind of happens naturally.

What was your focus when playing the role?

So-hyun: I tried not to present her as too sad. I was worried that she might come across as someone you simply pity. She’s not someone who wants anyone’s pity and needs to be taken care of or protected, and I made conscious efforts to make sure that she isn’t represented in that way.

Ga-ram: When playing the role, I tried to be honest. I hope that the audiences can feel
Hye-young’s feelings when they see Hye-young looking at Jojo next to Sun-oh.

Song Kang: As you can see from the webtoon, Sun-oh doesn’t talk very much—so I had to think about how to portray this character without saying much, and that’s why I tried my best to focus on his facial expressions that you get to glimpse at.

Are there any similarities between you and your characters?

So-hyun: There are aspects of Jojo that I thought were quite similar to me. Because I’ve played a lot of sad and depressed characters, a lof of viewers seem to have an impression of me as being reserved, quiet, and melancholic. Of course, there are parts of me that are like that, but I also am a very strong and resilient person inside. Jojo, likewise, may seem like someone who’s fragile and needs someone else to protect her, but she’s actually resilient inside. So I identified with her a lot in her strength and resilience, which made playing the character easier for me.

Ga-ram: Hye-young seems very positive and full of energy when surrounded by people, but he has his own pains and worries. I’m sure anyone can relate to this, but I identified with the dual aspect of Hye-young being positive and energetic around others, but at the same time, secretly worrying about his problems alone.

Song Kang: Even though Sun-oh tends to have his way with everything, but he doesn’t express how he truly feels. I thought that was quite similar to me.

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-08-23-at-11.41.42-AM.pn

On the contrary, how are you different from your characters?

Song Kang: The character Sun-oh has a lot of emotional hurt and he tries to seem tough and does whatever he wants. He really doesn’t express his feelings and I think that’s a little different from my personality. He acts in whatever way he wishes and tries to seem tough.

Ga-ram: My character Hye-young stands afar and keeps his distance from JoJo because of Sun-oh. He doesn’t say what he really feels, but I think in real life if it were up to me, I would go straight for her.

So-hyun: Jojo makes a lot of passive decisions because of certain circumstances that she’s placed in, she’s not able to express her true feelings. Personally if it were me, I like to express myself and how I feel. Jojo is maybe more cautious too.

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-08-23-at-11.46.55-AM.pn

What are your most memorable scene or favourite line in the series?

So-hyun: I like the line, ‘I won’t get crumpled,’ just as director Lee mentioned. I thought that line really expresses well who Jojo is. In the original webtoon, the scene actually has Sun-oh and Jojo sitting next to each other in a small alley when Sun-oh suddenly proposes that they kiss. And they start a conversation from there. That’s when the get to know each other better. I loved that scene. I was very excited to shoot the scene, and was excited in a different way from the way I felt about the scene in the webtoon.

Ga-ram: I would choose the line that goes, ‘To me, it’s all romance—because I’m doing it with you,’ because that encapsulates everything that Hye-young feels about Jojo.

Song Kang: I would choose a line from a scene where the friendship between Hye-young and Sun-oh is fractured. Sun-oh says, ‘The choice is up to Kim Jojo,’ and that was my favourite line.

Spoiler

love-triangle-768x512-1.jpg?resize=696%2

So-hyun, we are curious – you team Hye-young or team Sun-oh?

So-hyun: Fans are divided into two groups: one that supports Hye-young and the other that supports Sun-oh. Both of the characters are so charming in very different ways, so it’s
difficult to choose one. But the reason why I like Hye-young is because he’s very loyal. I feel sympathetic for him for having loved Jojo for such a long time, but at the same time, have such respect for him. I became Hye-young’s fan because he made me feel, ‘Wow, a person could love another person to that extent’.

Last but not least, are there any memorable behind-the-scenes moments that you can share?

So-hyun: It’s been a while, so it’s hard to remember them. But I can recall my scenes with Ga-ram. Because we’re close friends in real life and we had to act very shy with each other on screen, it was funny and a little bit awkward.

https://hype.my/2019/171363/interview-netflix-love-alarm-cast/

2 hours ago, Elif Ataş said:

Last but not least, are there any memorable behind-the-scenes moments that you can share?

So-hyun: It’s been a while, so it’s hard to remember them. But I can recall my scenes with Ga-ram. Because we’re close friends in real life and we had to act very shy with each other on screen, it was funny and a little bit awkward.

Uh, oh... real life ship is coming? :wub:

I'm rewatching the drama for a second time and, since I can focus more on the actors and directing than on the subtitles, I'm loving it more and more. There are a lot of touching moments: the children actors, Jo-jo's grandma, Hye-young's mom, Duk-gu (app's developer)...

One question to all of you who has read the full webtoon: is Il-sik so irrelevant after the first chapters? Cause I've read watched the webtoon's "free" chapters and it seemed he was meant to be kind of a "third male lead": not as prominent as Sun-oh and Hye-young, but still present. But, on the series, he just disappeared.

From the interview Elif's posted:

Fun fact: It was revealed that Song Kang beat over 900 hopefuls (a lot of them were models and K-pop idols) to emerge victorious as the one to portray Sun-oh. The filmmaker told us that his “innocent and sentimental aura” ultimately won her over.

God bless the filmmaker.

can someone tell me if the webtoon has actually ended or is it still ongoing?

And if it has ended what happed to Sun-oh? 

Spoiler

i know current plot HS is the boyfriend.. yuck but whatever

wow! i am surprised..

i honestly thought no one would be HY ship because there is so abrupt and unrealistic and not the mention based on betrayal

and drama did well with showing the genuine connect between Sunoh and Jo jo..

but i am surprised :).. so surprised

On 8/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, angrytomato said:

Some people's gonna think there's such an app like that, for real...

Without having read the webtoon (like many people here, I don't know Korean), I wonder how does it work. Is the phone reading his/her owner's mind?. That's pretty scary, if you think about it.

like all other apps and health apps and new medical procedures

you read biosignals

if anyone knows the novel.. plz explain the oveall story.. don't mind any spoilers

32 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yea I peeked at the ending cause I wanted to know who she ends up with. 

Im a little disappointed :( I usually never have second lead syndrome, but I think I’ll have SLS for this drama.  

Spoiler

Also, I really don’t understand why she had to break up with Sun Oh. I know someone mentioned noble idiocy, but I don’t think that’s the case. She broke up with him because she was too scared. Hence it wasn’t for his benefit, but because she was too much of a coward to face her own feelings. She said she was scared of her own heart being hurt. But that kind of richard simmons me off on Sun Ohs benefit. Poor kid was truly abandoned and thrown away by Jojo. That scene where he’s in the red scarf and she ignores him? :cry: He continues to like her all these years and through all that she ends up with the other guy. Sigh. Why’s she so willing to try with hye young? When she gave up so easily with sun oh? Of course I’m assuming this is if it’ll follow the WEBTOON. Which I can’t see why they wouldn’t remain faithful to the source. 

36 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Hide contents

Still ongoing .

Done watching until eps 5

Here is my thought

I agree with yall @enigmatic_zephy @mapleoaks5 

I didnt expect that this drama is quite dark? Everyone has deep problem, frustated and aren't happy with themselves. Jojo is really pitiful, everyone is too actually. Not gonna lie my heart feel heavy while watching this drama, as if I watching a tragic melodrama not a teen romance drama

I'm actually surprised sun oh and jojo already kissed on their 1st met. Hyeyoung already liked jojo eventhough they never know each other personally, I thought they were already friend before because they work at same place but they didnt even know each other. And he keep his feeling until they graduated? How come? All he is doing is just watching her from a far, how can he keep his feeling same for long time. I dont understand the fact that jojo also will like him instead of sun oh. I also not fan of 2nd typical male lead

this webtoon/drama reminds me of true beauty. True beauty also has love triangle, actually the the female lead and the 1st male lead also like each other, but 1st male lead has family problem, so he was missing and move to japan (similar to sun oh), but he was the one who know her face without make up and saved her life. then the female lead suddenly like his friend. .I stopped reading after that. The moment I saw sun oh has complicated family problem, that's remind me of true beauty. I can expect that jojo will also fall for hyeoyong too.

Honestly I dont know why the writer keep this similar plot, In real life this kind of plot is actually really sucks, because the person that you love will ended up with your bestfriend, eventhough you're the one who's always be there in sad and happy time, and your bestfriend is waiting for you to break up.

On happy note I actually like both male lead actors, eventhough I never watch any of their dramas. This is why drama production should cast rookie actor with new faces, there are so many of them who are quite good but always lose to idols so they cant get the opportunity

Also Kim so hyun is pretty as always! I feel sad when wacthing her as jojo, I hope she can get cheerful character next time!

3 hours ago, Madrama said:

Sorry I don’t understand. Who is Jojo with in the webtoon? I hope she’s with Hyeyeong!!!

5 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

As far as I know the webtoon hasn't ended yet, (and has only just recently resumed after the author took a break) so nobody knows who the end game pairing is as well. Read somewhere that the director is committed to film the whole webtoon so we're looking at at least 2-3 years of investing in the series before it ends. 

I've taken a lil peak into the first couple chapters of the korean webtoon and realized that there were some changes made with the adaptation. (Note: I can't read Korean so I don't know how accurate my interpretation of events are so take it with a grain of salt) 
1. There's way more romantic comedy tones in the webtoon and Jojo actually appears a lot more cheerful as a result.
2. One significant change I've noted is 

Spoiler

When Il-sik finds out about the kiss between Sun Oh and Jojo, he drags him into an alley and tries to start a fight with him. But this time instead of Sun Oh taking the beating Hye-young actually steps in before it starts and does fighting instead while Sun Oh just stands in the vicinity as a bystander. If this is what actually happens in the webtoon, it paints Sun Oh in a very different light than his drama counterpart. In the drama adaptation Sun Oh's willingness to take the beating and preventing Hye-young from doing so reflects his nature of being a responsible person who is willing to bear the consequences of his actions, it's also meant to convey to the viewers his sincerity in how he feels about Jojo. On the other hand, webtoon Sun Oh standing by really makes him seem more shallow in comparison, conveniently using whatever is at his disposal to gain the best advantage he can get even if the situation called for was a direct repercussion of his actions. It's almost as if we're looking at two different people here, which makes me wonder if webtoon Sun Oh's arc is similar to the usual romantic hero's story arc; arrogant, cocky and shallow and then gradually learning humility, responsibility, etc through their relationship with the main heroine.  

Supposedly adult webtoon Sun Oh is described as manipulative too, which makes me wonder if the director is taking liberties here to get the viewers to empathize with Sun Oh better? While I've only read until chapter 12 of the webtoon if Sun Oh ever does get to the point of being a manipulative richard simmons, I wonder how the director will choose to reconcile the differences the adaptation took to connect Sun Oh's gradual change in behavior in a way that makes sense.

Spoiler

As a fan who is waiting for so long for this drama to come out, I really like the drama plot.

Jojo was feeling small and scared for her relationship with Sun Oh. The more she falls for him, the more she will be attached to him. But his circumstances and hers are so different that she knew she could not be with him and follow love forever. Realistically, she knew about what life is. So before anything hurtful happens, she decided to let him go because their relationship was so dreamy and magical. When the cycle accident scene occurred, she finally let him go for the better of both as she believed she's not his level and he deserves better. That was a young love. As much as you like somebody, sometimes you are afraid to attempt relationship due to different circumstances. Jojo felt that during the accident and that's why she was teary when Sun Oh fainted. 

But people grow up and later when Hye young confessed to her, Jojo decided to give him a chance because HY himself is really pure and not stated verbally, but they are on the same level. And she knows he loves her so much. A relationship of being loved by a considerate partner can be less painful although you are not really into that person. That's why jojo may consider him more than sunoh. but we don't know what really may happen in second season.

I have watched all the episodes. As much as I love all characters, my heart is rooting for SunOh although my brain says that choosing HY is more realistic and it will happen eventually. I hope Jojo will understand the pain of SunOh. 

20 minutes ago, pinkypanda419 said:
  Hide contents

As a fan who is waiting for so long for this drama to come out, I really like the drama plot.

Jojo was feeling small and scared for her relationship with Sun Oh. The more she falls for him, the more she will be attached to him. But his circumstances and hers are so different that she knew she could not be with him and follow love forever. Realistically, she knew about what life is. So before anything hurtful happens, she decided to let him go because their relationship was so dreamy and magical. When the cycle accident scene occurred, she finally let him go for the better of both as she believed she's not his level and he deserves better. That was a young love. As much as you like somebody, sometimes you are afraid to attempt relationship due to different circumstances. Jojo felt that during the accident and that's why she was teary when Sun Oh fainted. 

But people grow up and later when Hye young confessed to her, Jojo decided to give him a chance because HY himself is really pure and not stated verbally, but they are on the same level. And she knows he loves her so much. A relationship of being loved by a considerate partner can be less painful although you are not really into that person. That's why jojo may consider him more than sunoh. but we don't know what really may happen in second season.

I have watched all the episodes. As much as I love all characters, my heart is rooting for SunOh although my brain says that choosing HY is more realistic and it will happen eventually. I hope Jojo will understand the pain of SunOh. 

I agree with you about Jojo and Sun Oh's relationship. 

Spoiler

She felt so small with him and she expressed this. Also Sun Oh's father 's words impressed her.For this reason she break up with him.

ep 1

Hye Young is very thoughtful person but her best friend didn't care about him or his feeling. At first Hye Youn didn't confess his feeling to Jojo because she has a boyfriend and then his best friend kiss Jojo and Jojo started to love Sun Oh .He saw Sun Oh and Jojo rang their Love Alarm .

Sun Oh is a jerk . He only think himself. He said to Hye young, Jojo would choose one of us but conditions were not equel. How would Jojo love someone she didn't know ? Jojo only know Son Oh so she choose him.

6 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

wow! i am surprised..

i honestly thought no one would be HY ship because there is so abrupt and unrealistic and not the mention based on betrayal

Love Alarm, spoilers levels 3/4

Spoiler

I disagree. The contract between Sun-oh and Hye-Young said "it's up to Jo-jo to choose one of us". Years after she dumped SO, she seems to have chosen HY. Those were the rules signed by both.

So, like some Dramabeans comment has said, Sun-oh is a pretty big child. So romantic, so innocent, so handsome, so passionate... but also egoist and immature as a young kid. He puts his personal revenge towards Jo-jo over his best friend's happiness. Yeah, and I mean 'happiness' even if Jo-jo dumps Hye-young too. Because Hye-young is mature enough to enjoy the happiness in a relationship instead of being consumed by hate when this relationship ends.

Don't get me wrong, I love many sides of Sun-oh, he's not the typical jerk from a rich family (at least in the series, as @Myokie has pointed out). But he was too young to build a solid relationship. Jo-jo wasn't mature enough, either. As much as I find @pinkypanda419's explanation very reasonable, she did a mistake and deeply hurt Sun-oh. She admitted it later. I hope Sun-oh do the same in season two. He has deeply hurt Hye-young.

@baby.hae, I also missed some "action" from Hye-young regarding his feelings towards Jo-jo. It's something Jung Ga-ram, the actor playing HY, has said too. In my country, this's got a name: platonic love. And platonic loves rarely work well when they turn into real loves. Probably, Hye-young is expecting an ideal Jo-jo that the real Jo-jo can't match. Let's wait and see.

I've just finished watching this drama and...

Spoiler

I'm quite dissapointed with the last part of the 8th episode. There were enough time to give a nice final with Sun-O or Hye-Young but ending it without knowing the path that Jojo will choose is quite annoying from my point of view.

Thought of jojo's possible choice

about jojo's choice in the end. .we dont know yet and the webtoon is still on going but the lastest webtoon jojo's boyfriend is HY. .

I agree with @pinkypanda419, my heart want sunOh but HY is the writer choice after all. .I mean it would be VERY weird if jojo ended up with sunOh in the end, she is already with him in during high school, then HY when she is adult and she change her heart again and getting back to sunOh in the end? That's just unrealistic. I know a lot of us here are still hoping jojo with sunOh (including myself) but the chance is very small. I just hope the writer wont make him a jerk, he is already pitiful, doesn't have family who support him and he won't get the girl in the end too

High school love vs Adult love - her choice in the storyline makes sense to me.

Spoiler

I honestly think HY deserves the girl more, he patiently waited for her for years and pushed aside his own feelings for his best friend when he found out they were dating. He is a more loyal husband material than the spoiled Sun-Oh character, his lifestyle and family won't be a good place for Jojo either. She needs someone more mature with a stable family foundation that can provide her love.

Archived