Zhu Yi Long 朱一龙 Official Thread

siobhanne

10 minutes ago, yinchanmyae1621 said:

I not interest to watch the whole series of Minglan drama .I only interesting to watch Long Ge's part .His done the his parts very well .Perfect !! When he crying and laughing do the as the same time , I was speak-less and my jaw was drop ...wow such the good acting ...clapping clapping clapping . He is second lead but he can made great review.

His part is so short lol. This drama seems to be rated high but I am not interested either, only for ZYL. 

Hunan TV interview. I google translated the interview parts. (Usual warning about things maybe not being as I wrote them since I don't speak Chinese, also I didn't really bother to language correct as usual). I'll hide it behind the spoiler.

Spoiler

zhu yi long once again became the focus of everyone
in the story of ming lan perfecting the elegant son of nobility
at the moment incarnates into a piano prince.
zyl: it's quite tense, but also very exciting. I performed like this for the first time. when Liang Bo wrote this song,
I don't know what his mood was like. but his song, sounds to me, I think his love of music, I can feel it purely 
in this song.

interviewer: it will be very difficult for you.
zyl: still singing. because there is no professional training. you don't have a professional and for the first time 
I faced such a big new year's party, will feel. There are a variety of factors, so now it will be more stressful. 

interviewer: what type of role are you playing here?
zyl: i played the young lord qi heng.
interviewer: what type of character is it?
zyl: i think he is a. he has a good family environment. so he is actually. i immediately feel particularly in line with 
this in the character background. very filial to parents, has multiple talents. 

zyl: in fact, qi heng seems to feel perfect now. in fact, he has a lot of depth. he is an awkward character. but everyone 
will know when they watch the drama. qi heng has in most things my approval. there are some small things on his body, including 
my discussion with the director. something to look for, for us. i think it should be like this. but it may be, I don't 
quite agree with this one. he is very young, so he attitude towards something. how to handle some things, may not be so 
mature. 
interview: not mature enough to be extreme, still how.
zyl: in fact, qi heng. i think he just has a good family background. then from a young age his life is very bright, very 
positive. in fact he hasn't encountered too much difficulty. hasn't encountered so called frustration. so when he is faced 
with any problems, he will be more idealistic. he is a. he has some literati. he has everything going for him, he thinks this 
is as it should be. his ideal is a beautiful one. 

interview: it's not hard for you to play a young lord.
zyl: to play a young lord. if it is generally not too difficult. but you said if it's specifically assigned to each person. 
he still has his difficulties in it. 
interviewer: possible behavior, he is just a physical performance. but that kind of charm is harder to convey.
how do you find the feeling of the ancient lord?
zyl: i think etiquette. etiquette and a way of speaking. this is how we approach from the outside, how to play an ancient 
person. because we were at the time of the whole show, there was a teacher of ceremonies on the set. so you will always 
be there. like after this scene is completed we will tell you. in what time, what etiquette to use. what should you do to 
be more in line with the etiquette of that time. so after you add these actions you suddenly have a sense of ritual. will 
bring out the ancient character. let's bring some feelings through external things. 
zyl: this time is the first time for me for real light. that is, I have never played that the night scene is a scene at home. 
really only candles. without any auxiliary light. there will be no lights for these. also completely using the candle gives 
you the ambient light, including your face. this is for me a very new thing. however it increased my sense of belief and 
experience. you are in an environment like this. you can feel the time when you talk to others. in that kind of environment 
what kind of state it is. 
interviewer: after he has an ancient trace, afterward you can find the state of the ancient life. 
zyl: especially easy to believe this stipulated plot and scene.

zyl: for example this scene is written inside the study. seeing parents talk, then how do I go outside. if you are the original, 
you will first after the study is finished, shoot again outside. but the director of this sometimes asked me to play inside 
then I went out directly. on the whole big scene i went straight to the outside after i finished playing inside. 
interviewer: similar feeling to playing in phantacity
zyl: yes. will. for these characters. these consecutive scenes. the coherence and experience of the characters will be 
enhanced a lot. and he won't pay too much attention. be sure to give you a good location. you can give money to this point.
follow the feeling. as long as you follow the overall schedule of shooting the play. as long as you're walking around this 
position. the photographer will do his best to catch your state at the time. 

interviewer: i saw some original fan that this character is a sad person. where is his sadness?
zyl: actually in the drama we discussed with the director and didn't deliberately create him how much tragedy qi heng has.
we feel like he is a big time environment. he is such a character, a character who has been pushed by fate. he is more 
helpless and jealous inside. 

zyl: because this drama, because everyone knows qi heng, this character's and ming lan's emotional line. it's a very oppressive 
matter. discussing with the director. we did not deliberately create a very fixed, we try not to let him abuse it 
very much. i feel like the director very deliberately did it like this. we follow the emotions of the characters. then slowly push 
to that place. what should he do? what was his mood at the time? will not deliberately render this thing. more real. try to 
be more realistic. express that emotion. 

interviewer: in fact there is no shortage of suddenly popular people in the entertainment industry. your own experience. 
what kind of feeling is this half a year? some people say that like a roller coaster. some people say how.
zyl: actually quite. I think because I had before 8, 9 years, before this. then i have been slowly filming. so the mentality 
is still relatively calm. not too big for myself. in fact, it is more busy than before. and there is more choice. this is what i can see and feel. 

zyl: in fact qi heng, this character seems to feel perfect now, he is still with faults. 

zyl: after we graduated from that time can only play sons. these are some of these roles that wait for us to arrive. when 27-28 years old. 
then everyone started to like especially young people. 

zyl: i don't think there is any desired role. every character can, you can get some nutrients from that character. 

zyl: it's very interesting to perform this thing. i liked to perform at the time. suddenly find that you are this person. 
can pass another character. to express one's emotions. when venting your emotions. you think it's really interesting. 
in the process of performance you don't care about releasing your own nature. still reach a sketch fragment. then the animal 
stimulates this series of training. then you let yourself slowly dig to understand yourself. 
interviewer: your class is very interesting. not the kind that just as they graduated they passed a certaain work and become a hit.
are all thick and thin. 
zyl: we are all better. it's time to go to school. we are all down to earth. don't go out to film in the middle. everyone is 
staying in the class. go to class every day. every day, everyone is in the rehearsal room. studying the piece. then write some 
sketches yourself. return performance things. everyone is rehearsing every day. this is the state. this is basically the case 
for four years. 
interviewer: why are you so honest? because it is generally like a student of the film school. especially learning performances. 
there will be many opportunities to shoot during schooling. I've even heard that some do advertisements. why do you guys 
keep a low heart, stable in school. 
zyl: because the teacher is like this. so i said that we were very special in our class at the time. obedient. and there is 
such a good teacher. so we trusted him at that time. because when you go out, actually. many times it is a release process. 
but if you don't take yourself before you go out. full of enough words. if there are too few weapons after going out. it may be 
difficult to adjust to a fast pace of filming. 

zyl: actually i'm at the age. because you see when we just graduated, when it comes out why do we say this group of people. 
is 85 - 88 or so. my own analysis will be a little later. because we just graduated. at the time everyone likes to watch teacher zhang jia.
interviewer: uncle
zyl: yes. like to watch that type of play. after we graduated from that time, can only play sons. these are the roles.
so you can hardly stand out.then just as we become 27-28 years old. then everyone started to like especially young people.
interviewer: fresh meat.
zyl: so for us. we talk privately. will feel that we were at that time in a relatively embarrassing period. 
interviewer: in the so called growth and rise period. it is actually a time when it's not in time. he is staggering the
development of that era. but now you feel that you got the best time?
zyl: i think. we talked about ourselves. haven't complained or are like. we are all, anyway everyone can have a movie. then 
I like to do it again. we will do our best. go and do this thing well. then find out now, maybe we are talking about it 
sometimes. maybe the actor is going to stick to it. you don't want to care about anything. what do you like now? what are 
you chasing now? you keep your attitude towards the show. what you want to do. what kind of performer is it?
what kind of actor. just stick to your own path and walk slowly. 

interviewer: for example in the processing of some supporting role, your little thoughts, focus on details, it may even be invisible to others.
then the audience passed a scene, he doesn't know what you are doing for it. you have always insisted on persisting. you won't doubt it in the middle.
is it worth it for me to stick to it? 
zyl: I don't consider whether it's worth it or not. because since school, this is your habit of creating. in fact, 
you see the teacher saying so. there are no natural actors, only small roles. in this regard. I don't think there is any small role. each character 
may.. you are drawing some nutrients from the character. how can he help you? may develop some of your other performances. i think the actor 
is in the process of performance constantly accumulating his own experience. know-how. then maybe in the next person 
you can make him richer. more full to show his many aspects. 

zyl: I just like to talk to the director. I anyway generally like to chat with everyone. 
interviewer: directors generally like actors to talk to them. not afraid to chat. you said whether you are to some degree slow.
zyl: yes. sometimes at gatherings I will be a little slow. 
interviewer: what kind of pulling the director, then the following scene i kept talking to him. there are different 
possibilities of how to create it? 
zyl: because i understand it especially. the director has to control the whole. whole big world views and the whole big.
actors will often explore in their own role, to arrange the logic within. so you think a little more. but actually 
the director said when you need to control the whole situation you are actually.. I am also adjusting myself now to trust the 
director more. yes. trust the director. he will try to make your character more smooth. to be more fitting into the overall 
environment. 

zyl: i think now when the actor is 30 years old, actually you just started. for shaping characters, no matter what 
the so-called texture, the depth of the character, in fact it's just the beginning. have the opportunity to show a little bit. 
interviewer: 30 years old this year, other people say about the age of 30, that you will feel your own self at 30. is there 
any difference? 
zyl: this year I feel that for the most part follows the script. namely you're learning to perform. this all you can read in other 
people's autobiography. something you will feel. emerging after needing real life experience. I have to hone myself in the crew. 
then after the age of 30, you seem to get a good chance after. you suddenly have a better, these seem to be, it seems to be like 
a well-arranged feeling. sometimes there is such an illusion. actually this way such a long time people are constantly 
encouraging you. then at some point someone will come out to help you. you don't know why. so I'm very grateful for this road. 
you're accompanied by people neither relative nor friend. encourage you. to help you. Really hoping that you can go, some better people 
like this. he has been motivating you to move forward invisibly. inspire you to go. to express yourself. it's very interesting, I think. 
I didn't explain what is known as so hard to bear. or how? relatively speaking there will be some small bumps on the way. 
but I think that is nothing. 

zyl: in fact I want to be simpler. I feel that life, I really hope for it to be simpler. a little bit pure. because how much to earn 
or to achieve a good state, this is not what I want. I think an as an actor you only need to have a certain amount of support to have a good life.
this is not a particularly difficult thing. as long as you don't desire too much. So I hope to be able to film well, live better 
to leave some good characters, leave for everyone a character. let the people behind you or the people in front of you all like you. 
take delight in talking about some plays, a mix of roles. 

• Thanks 2

All about Qi Heng and Minglan (1)
Background information (Based on the drama version)
Set in the Northern Song dynasty, “The story of Minglan" revolves around Sheng Minglan, the unfavoured sixth daughter of an official Sheng Hong. Minglan’s biological mother was one of Sheng Hong’s concubines who died giving birth to her second child, Minglan was 8 years at that time. Minglan was then raised up by her grandmother. Due to her biological mother’s suspicious death, Minglan learned to hide her skills and true intentions.

Sheng Hong is a level five official in the government (A medium level position). The Sheng family’s private school hired a very experienced scholar, Mr. Zhuang, as the private tutor for the family school. Qi Heng, the only son of the Duke of Qi,also studies at the Sheng's family school.

Qi Heng is the heir of the Duke of Qi, by his wife Princess Pingning. Princess Pingning‘s maiden name is “Chai”, which is a very peculiar family name in the Song Dynasty. The Chai family was the ruler of the “Hou Zhou” Dynasty. The "Hou Zhou” Dynasty was overthrown by Zhao Kuangying, the first emperor of the Song Dynasty, in a military coup. To save his reputation,  Zhao Kuangying gave the “Chai” family a title of “Prince”,  but the “Chai” family doesn’t have any real power in the court.  Most of the male members from the Chai family died of unknown reasons. Princess Pingning was adopted by the empress and raised up in the royal court.  The relationship between the Princess and the Empress is also very delicate - they seem pretty close but the royal couple isn't fully trusting Princess Pingning.

Qi Heng falls in love with Minglan, our smart and beautiful female protagonist. Minglan also has a crush on Qi Heng but she could not accept his love because she believes this relationship is doomed and she also doesn’t want her two half-sisters to be jealous of it.

Episode 5 - The first scene of Qi Heng (EP5:0900)
The first scene of Qi Heng starts at EP5:0900 when child actors changed into adult actors. We can see when he is in the same room with her, Qi Heng's eyes always trailing after Minglan like a sunflower follows every moment of the sun.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: Hide and seek(EP5:11:00)
Qi Heng visits the Sheng family to bid for the new year. Sheng Hong, his sons, and Qi Heng are talking about calligraphy in the drawing room while the ladies are sitting at the other end of the room, separated by a folding screen.

While talking to Sheng Hong, Qi Heng’s eyes keep on following Minglan. Seeing her smile or hearing her laugh makes his heart happy.
His valet Buwei moved to the side and blocked his view, Qi Heng is a bit annoyed by Buwei.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The lie(EP5:14:20)
Buwei asks Qi Heng if he plans to stay for dinner, Qi Heng says the person in charge of the imperial examination will be here tonight so it is better to stay.

Buwei says: You are coaxing, you want to stay at the Sheng House because of sixth Miss.
Qi Heng is a bit mad and scolded Buwei: ”Shut up!” He knows how harmful it could be when a girl’s name is in a gossip.
A few seconds later, Qi Heng couldn't hold back his smile---simply hearing her name makes him happy, it feels like something is touching his heart softly.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The handkerchief incident (EP5:15:15)
Well, “handkerchief” might not be the best translation of the item he lost. The item is something that people used to tie their underwear in ancient China, and it is also something that couples often use to demonstrate their love to each other. Now you understand why he makes a big fuss about it because he doesn’t want anyone to use it to blackmail him.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The flower cake (EP5:17:15)
The maids serve flower cakes to the guests,  Minglan takes one and starts eating.  Qi Heng looks at Minglan and takes one and starts eating as well.

Seems that love makes his brain wired and focused on Minglan whenever he sees her or knows her presence, he does the same thing with what Minglan does, and he stays because she’s there, he goes because she left.

Episode 5 - the new year’s visit:: The little detective (EP5:22:01)
Molan framed a maid by putting Qi Heng’s handkerchief to the maid’s outfits and the maid is punished by the Big Madam. Minglan and Yanran started analyzing the case and Minglan came to the conclusion that the maid is innocent. 

Overheard Minglan and Yanran’s conversation, Qi Heng appeared from the back of the rock-work. He looks perfectly calm and collected, and there is a slight touch of pride and of being annoyed on his face. He nodded to Yanran with reservedness and pride, but his eyes become so soft and tender as soon as he sees Minglan. 

As a decent and upstanding young gentleman, Qi Heng's role does not allow exaggerated body languages or strong facial expression. But the expression in his eyes are so different when he faces different people, he’s unable to hide his feelings for Minglan.  Zhu Yilong performed this role brilliantly.

When he is with Minglan, his dreamy eyes are as deep as the ocean,  and there are boundless affection and tenderness in the eyes.
The emotional changes of the role are very natural and smooth, Zhu Yilong’s eyes can talk, for real.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, yinchanmyae1621 said:

I not interest to watch the whole series of Minglan drama .I only interesting to watch Long Ge's part .His done the his parts very well .Perfect !! When he crying and laughing do the as the same time , I was speak-less and my jaw was drop ...wow such the good acting ...clapping clapping clapping . He is second lead but he can made great review.

47 minutes ago, huongpham82 said:

His acting is really diverse.

I really hope after the last episode we can have all of ZYL's condensed parts because certain things have happened, my enthusiasm towards this drama is not high. Mango tv has been putting them out in trailers but not all. ZYL's acting is so great, he really showed how well he can portray the characters with his immersive acting, I just hope he doesn't try to become them because it comes at great personal cost and I believe acting actors should have skill to portray different characters just like how he does, if you want too method, it is better to pick some actor who has similar character with the role itself. And about letting off his emotions as siobhanne translated above, it feels like he must have very rich and diverse inner world of his own. I always see that he notices his costars and surroundings very carefully. Like an artist, his character creation really brings the best about him. Such grounded personality, it would be great to see him have full freedom and great team to create what he likes.

14 minutes ago, TheRedDragon said:

I really hope after the last episode we can have all of ZYL's condensed parts because certain things have happened, my enthusiasm towards this drama is not high. Mango tv has been putting them out in trailers but not all. ZYL's acting is so great, he really showed how well he can portray the characters with his immersive acting, I just hope he doesn't try to become them because it comes at great personal cost and I believe acting actors should have skill to portray different characters just like how he does, if you want too method, it is better to pick some actor who has similar character with the role itself. And about letting off his emotions as siobhanne translated above, it feels like he must have very rich and diverse inner world of his own. I always see that he notices his costars and surroundings very carefully. Like an artist, his character creation really brings the best about him. Such grounded personality, it would be great to see him have full freedom and great team to create what he likes.

That's why in my opinion he is a true artist. We can see he is very serious, strict, focusing in his roles. "he must have very rich and diverse inner world of his own" I wanna say most introverters have such kind of inner world, they live in the inner world much better than the outside world because its hard for them to show out their thoughts/feelings. But of course as an actor his inner world is even richer. He has a "cinematic" face, especially his eyes, which is an advantage. Although he acts Qi Heng very well but still not a major role, I hope he will have major roles soon. The other thing is that he is not lucky because there are very few dramas where a main lead female has great chemistry with him, I don't see it except in guardian which is a BL. He said he likes Tang Wei who is a very good actress, I like her too and wish he has a couple role with such kind of actress because they may build a great chemistry together. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, huongpham82 said:

That's why in my opinion he is a true artist. We can see he is very serious, strict, focusing in his roles. "he must have very rich and diverse inner world of his own" I wanna say most introverters have such kind of inner world, they live in the inner world much better than the outside world because its hard for them to show out their thoughts/feelings. But of course as an actor his inner world is even richer. He has a "cinematic" face, especially his eyes, which is an advantage. Although he acts Qi Heng very well but still not a major role, I hope he will have major roles soon. The other thing is that he is not lucky because there are very few dramas where a main lead female has great chemistry with him, I don't see it except in guardian which is a BL. He said he likes Tang Wei who is a very good actress, I like her too and wish he has a couple role with such kind of actress because they may build a great chemistry together. 

Tang Wei is such a great actress. In that sense, a good actress who can play equally or better should definitely help him. He is very tightly wound, his thoughts and expressions are too disciplined. If he can let go of his reservations and the actress can help him warm up to character's needs, create a good, fluent chemistry, I am sure he can work well and better, something like with his Ugly performance. Letting himself go and indulging in his character will come with a good team who has his trust. If his path continues as is, I am sure he can stand together with celebrated actors outside the mainland. Youku has begun broadcasting an old series Skynet which a government sponsored media also endorsed, so it would be interesting to see how far his goodwill at the upper echelons takes him.

I was surprised when his hallway crying scene trended on weibo. I mean, the guy has only 9% screentime (did i read that here? i can't remember), and for audience to notice his scene so much says a lot about his acting. I already know he can act amazingly well, but for him to have little screentime and be noticed as much as the main leads is a whole new testament to his acting abilities in my opinion. I like the way @yhl0802put it “The emotional changes of the role are very natural and smooth, Zhu Yilong's eyes can talk, for real.”

He really expresses a lot with his eyes, to the extent he can convey much emotion without using any words. I think that's what sets him apart from others, not saying his style is better or worse, just different. While others use all, gestures, words and expressions to emote, he's more restrained and articulate, which works really well due to his 'cinematic' eyes as @huongpham82 eloquently put.

He does have the disadvantage of being slow to warm up to people tho, typical of an introvert, so I think as @huongpham82 pointed out, somehow I think that results in lukewarm chemistry with some of his female costars, also because of his shy nature. In Guardian's case, he has brilliant chemistry with Baiyu offscreen too, which translates really well onscreen. He just needs someone he's comfortable with, so I guess an actress that's not as shy as him might work well with him? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRedDragon said:

Youku has begun broadcasting an old series Skynet which a government sponsored media also endorsed, so it would be interesting to see how far his goodwill at the upper echelons takes him.

Ah, that Skynet series was shot in early 2012. It has never been broadcasted for 7 years. And in fact it would not be broadcasted ever if he were not popular now. And they moved ZYL’s name from 4th to the lead cast to promote the series. 

A modern series from 7 years ago can be really outdated in terms of the fashion, makeup, even his acting. So just regard it as a little bonus for his fans. 

Besides, yesterday ZYL went to record “Straight to Spring Festival Gala”, which will be aired on CCTV-3 on Jan. 26. I’ve read some repos saying that he was quite active and did some surprisingly cute things, but I’d better not spoil it. They recorded for nearly 7 hours, but the show will be cut into just 1.5 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biskotmeri said:

I was surprised when his hallway crying scene trended on weibo. I mean, the guy has only 9% screentime (did i read that here? i can't remember), and for audience to notice his scene so much says a lot about his acting. I already know he can act amazingly well, but for him to have little screentime and be noticed as much as the main leads is a whole new testament to his acting abilities in my opinion. I like the way @yhl0802put it “The emotional changes of the role are very natural and smooth, Zhu Yilong's eyes can talk, for real.”

He really expresses a lot with his eyes, to the extent he can convey much emotion without using any words. I think that's what sets him apart from others, not saying his style is better or worse, just different. While others use all, gestures, words and expressions to emote, he's more restrained and articulate, which works really well due to his 'cinematic' eyes as @huongpham82 eloquently put.

He does have the disadvantage of being slow to warm up to people tho, typical of an introvert, so I think as @huongpham82 pointed out, somehow I think that results in lukewarm chemistry with some of his female costars, also because of his shy nature. In Guardian's case, he has brilliant chemistry with Baiyu offscreen too, which translates really well onscreen. He just needs someone he's comfortable with, so I guess an actress that's not as shy as him might work well with him? 

I think whether an actor uses words or not depends on the script. He played some talkative roles and all were ok. When he played such talkative roles, he is natural but not stand out from the other actors. However when he plays a silent/complicated role, he stands out because he can use the power of his eyes.

I really like his eyes acting below 2:14  (Xin Xiao Shi Yi Lang 2016):

@paopaolong I only saw some photos of him pulling funny faces in that spring festival show. Hopefully since he is so popular right now they'll include a lot of his bits in the final cut. 

I'm going to watch that show with him anyway, even though probably for him it's a bit difficult because he has surely developed a lot during the 7 years, it's still a good thing for all the other people who worked on the show for it to be shown finally. Already the concept of a traffic detective is funny, and his character seems quite youthful and cheerful. 

Lately I've been using the Ximalaya app to listen to some of his songs. It's very relaxing and puts me in a good mood. I needed some cheering up since experiments weren't working. 

15 hours ago, TheRedDragon said:

GeGe said in interview , he use the method acting in other drama but he base on emotions and use the suggestion of director in Minglan.He say all of his acting are base on his emotions and he didn't do purpose .he just follow the his heart .That why he so good in minglan.Even if in a drama ,  I can't stand to watch his sadness and I want to cry .I'm feel so pity for  Qi Heng.

I visited the story of minglan soompi thread because i wanted to know how people are evaluating zyl's acting, but it seems they're not liking his character much :( I do find it really unfair though how people are comparing his character to the main character, i mean we all know who gets the girl and have a happy ending blah blah in the end i can't believe some people are actually comparing this 2nd lead character and getting annoyed with him because they think the main character is more deserving of the girl and whatnot like of course dude! that's the whole point! Is it because he's standing out so much as the 2nd lead? Is that a problem? Although i haven't seen much of the drama i can't really judge qiheng's character, so.

Sorry for ranting here guys, but i feel sad, some people can be really mean and insensible. Gah, zyl is such a good actor, i really wish he'll work in much better projects these coming years and choose only good scripts. Please can't he just choose less tragic characters after this, or at least ones with a happy ending. I notice he has a knack for these tear jerker characters, ones that have almost unbelievably bad luck, i wonder why.. 

• Like 1

@yinchanmyae1621Does the phrase he used mean method acting in chinese? Because from what I understood he just said he used to thoroughly prepare the role and the logic of the role beforehand (that doesn't have to mean method), whereas now he tries to leave more space for the director's vision and doesn't finish role creation on his own, but waits for director input.

It helps that he gets to work with better directors now.

@biskotmeri I think you don't need to worry so much. People do view the characters through a biased lens, but I think it hasn't affected the actors that much. ZYL said something that he thinks Qi Heng doesn't believe that Ming Lan loves Gu Tingye, so that's why he tries to save her from him, since he failed her before. But once he finds out that Ming Lan does love, then he is relieved that his previous actions of failing to marry her didn't lead her to have an unhappy life. He's a great actor, he will surely continue to portray this character well. Also the overall quality of the drama is very good (I only have some minor nags about some plotting), and based on his gushing about the production in various interviews he really enjoyed working with this production team. 

My review of his Phantacity performance as well as some other comments have been getting more likes since he appeared on this show, so I think he's gaining a lot of new fans, some of whom are digging through the archives to read about him. 

• Like 1

@siobhanne You completely voiced out my exact thoughts lol I am a lurker on that thread too and it is mostly character and plot analyzing which is fine as it is only about their characters. From what I see so far, the majority does appreciate and recognize ZYL's good acting so that is a good exposure and recognition. I am soooooooo behind on this drama lol Too busy with work...I have a lot of catching up to do :)  

Oh wow...I just checked out the trailer for Skynet. I was smiling the whole time because it reminds me of his character in Family Banquet lol I look forward to seeing it. It is nice for fans to be able see his addition work that got shelved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, biskotmeri said:

I visited the story of minglan soompi thread because i wanted to know how people are evaluating zyl's acting, but it seems they're not liking his character much :( I do find it really unfair though how people are comparing his character to the main character, i mean we all know who gets the girl and have a happy ending blah blah in the end i can't believe some people are actually comparing this 2nd lead character and getting annoyed with him because they think the main character is more deserving of the girl and whatnot like of course dude! that's the whole point! Is it because he's standing out so much as the 2nd lead? Is that a problem? Although i haven't seen much of the drama i can't really judge qiheng's character, so.

Sorry for ranting here guys, but i feel sad, some people can be really mean and insensible. Gah, zyl is such a good actor, i really wish he'll work in much better projects these coming years and choose only good scripts. Please can't he just choose less tragic characters after this, or at least ones with a happy ending. I notice he has a knack for these tear jerker characters, ones that have almost unbelievably bad luck, i wonder why.. 

He is still a small role and most people watch a drama mainly because of their actors. We as fans of ZYL love his character much, but the others love their actor's characters. 

I also hope he gets some happy-ending characters, but he is so good in playing tragic/complicated roles so I will be still in love with any of his future characters, even villain ones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheRedDragon said:

Agreed, introverts do have an advantage of self awareness above average and can have deeper understanding and meaning to events around them. About his eyes, he really can emote so well, he completely can hold his own even in a biased, broken script. No wonder he has become such an eyesore to certain people, coming from nowhere and then winning it, he effortlessly overshadows weaker actors. Then people make mistake and think they can actually level his talent and traffic. One's own shortcomings need to be known else they look like cursing at the sun to be too bright, thinking there is an illusory semblance of competition when they can't really measure.

Tang Wei is such a great actress. In that sense, a good actress who can play equally or better should definitely help him. He is very tightly wound, his thoughts and expressions are too disciplined. If he can let go of his reservations and the actress can help him warm up to character's needs, create a good, fluent chemistry, I am sure he can work well and better, something like with his Ugly performance. Letting himself go and indulging in his character will come with a good team who has his trust. If his path continues as is, I am sure he can stand together with celebrated actors outside the mainland. Youku has begun broadcasting an old series Skynet which a government sponsored media also endorsed, so it would be interesting to see how far his goodwill at the upper echelons takes him.

PS: So the theme for today's episode is how to displace QH with how the other is better. Now his character will become the adversarial stepping on which the happy sailing in the sunset occurs. Okay, that Explains a Lot.:vicx:

I didn't think actors need to have chemistry offscreen to bring chemistry onscreen lol, when he is in filming, he becomes another person. I have no idea from 2017 why he did not have good chemistry with any female roles. Before 2017 the reason was he was always the character who loved first and barely got loved, maybe due to that kind of character. In Xin Xiao Shi Yi Lang 2016, his character loved the female lead so much but she was like he was nothing which is quite annoying to me. In Border Town Prodigal, FHX and Cui Nong had some chemistry but not much since she always tried to kill him, FHX and MFL had no chemistry. In granting a dreamlike life, I have not finished this series yet but the chemistry is not much either, what's wrong?