[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

netflix's trailer, with eng subs! netflix will broadcast abyss starting may 7 (2 episodes a week) for most english speaking countries and asia, while all episodes will come out at once for canada, japan, argentina and sweden on june 26. the rest of the world will get two eps a week starting may 16. macau and hong kong only on july 1.

41 minutes ago, lu09 said:

@adqu Nooooooo. I can't watch it until June 26???:bawling::scream:. I was looking forward to this in next month:tired:.

sorry, it really does suck :( honestly i don't get the reason why netflix pulls stuff like this... probably something to do with copyright or whatever, but it really sucks for us... prayer circle that there'll be fansubs or that someone will leak ntflx subs :ph34r:

Thank you for the new trailers!  So excited for this drama to start!:lol:

22 hours ago, lu09 said:

@adqu Nooooooo. I can't watch it until June 26???:bawling::scream:. I was looking forward to this in next month:tired:.

Netflix are so annoying. I wish Viki had picked this up instead.

Okay, so does this mean that Netflix has the rights for its Eng Subs?...man, why do they have to take this drama. I would have preferred if they didn't, because at least, like any other drama, I would expect it subbed the next day it airs. How about Viki? Does anyone know if they can get it too, or all the rights now belong to Netflix?

9 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Okay, so does this mean that Netflix has the rights for its Eng Subs?...man, why do they have to take this drama. I would have preferred if they didn't, because at least, like any other drama, I would expect it subbed the next day it airs. How about Viki? Does anyone know if they can get it too, or all the rights now belong to Netflix?

i know some dramas can be found on both, but i don't know... the way this was announced makes it seem like it's a netflix-only deal... it's being announced as a netflix original, so i think they own the full rights.

but i guess we can still try requesting it on viki, maybe? just fill this form: https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

i hope at least fan subbers (or sub rippers :ph34r:will come through because netflix sometimes literally change the audio or even delete scenes just because of copyright issues with background music, images on tv screens, etc and that's a bummer.

@adqu Yup, already tried requesting it on Viki a few times :D. Hope we can still watch episodes subbed the next day after it airs. But I remember that Netflix subbed also Mr. Sunshine, and the translator is Korean, so I think Netflix has its own translator so maybe we can expect high quality subs. I just don't know about the cutting/deleting of scenes though.

1 hour ago, lightbringer06 said:

@adqu Yup, already tried requesting it on Viki a few times :D. Hope we can still watch episodes subbed the next day after it airs. But I remember that Netflix subbed also Mr. Sunshine, and the translator is Korean, so I think Netflix has its own translator so maybe we can expect high quality subs. I just don't know about the cutting/deleting of scenes though.

i haven't watched kdramas as they air in a while so i'm not sure how people are dealing with the netflix exclusives... ripping nf's subs isn't hard at all though so i have hopes lol

netflix cut the entire karaoke scene in oh my ghost but usually they just replace the background music. we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the links everybody. It would be great if we could update the opening post but the thread starter hasn't posted since last year.  

I have tried to Google translate the character introductions but it doesn't make much sense. I wonder if there will be a love triangle.  It doesn'#t seem like there will be any second lead love interests from what I can see.

23 hours ago, adqu said:

i know some dramas can be found on both, but i don't know... the way this was announced makes it seem like it's a netflix-only deal... it's being announced as a netflix original, so i think they own the full rights.

but i guess we can still try requesting it on viki, maybe? just fill this form: https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

i hope at least fan subbers (or sub rippers :ph34r:will come through because netflix sometimes literally change the audio or even delete scenes just because of copyright issues with background music, images on tv screens, etc and that's a bummer.

I've filled out the form too. Let's hope cartin people do come through for us international fans :phew:

6 hours ago, adqu said:

i haven't watched kdramas as they air in a while so i'm not sure how people are dealing with the netflix exclusives... ripping nf's subs isn't hard at all though so i have hopes lol

netflix cut the entire karaoke scene in oh my ghost but usually they just replace the background music. we'll see how it goes.

They cut the karaoke scene???? :dizzy:That's one of the best scenes in the drama!

“Abyss” Shares Sneak Peek At The Relationships Around Park Bo Young And Ahn Hyo Seop

Apr 26, 2019
by C. Hong

Upcoming tvN drama has released a poster hinting at the tangle of relationships between Park Bo YoungAhn Hyo Seop, and the other characters.

“Abyss” tells the story of a beautiful prosecutor and a chaebol heir who are reborn into different bodies with the help of a mysterious marble. The two of them then team up to track down the person who killed them both.

The relationships chart is split between the Public Prosecutor’s Office/Dongbu Police Station, which is Go Se Yeon (Park Bo Young)’s domain, and Lan Cosmetics, which is Cha Min (Ahn Hyo Seop)’s company.

Kim Sa Rang and Ahn Se Ha play Go Se Yeon and Cha Min before their reincarnations. The two characters have been friends for over 20 years.

Sharing the prosecutor’s office/police station category with Go Se Yeon are Park Dong Chul (Lee Si Eon), Lee Mi Do, Seo Ji Wook (Kwon Soo Hyun), and Choi Hyuk Man.

Park Dong Chul is a detective at Dongbu Police Station who mistakes Go Se Yeon as his ex-girlfriend, Lee Mi Do. The real Lee Mi Do, whose face is not revealed, is described as a lawyer. Seo Ji Wook is a fellow prosecutor who was Go Se Yeon’s colleague at the office before her reincarnation.

On the side of Lan Cosmetics, Han So Hee plays Jang Hee Jin, Cha Min’s ex-fiancée. Yoon Yoo Sun plays Cha Min’s mother, Uhm Ae Ran, who is the head of the company. Also included is the character Park Mi Jin, who is described as Cha Min’s nanny.

Other characters include Go Se Yeon’s parents, Go Chang Soo and Kim Jung Hee, and someone named Park Ki Man, who is connected to Cha Min’s nanny.

Off in his own category is the character Oh Young Chul, who is played by Lee Sung Jae. He is described as a professor in the emergency medicine department at Seoha Hospital.

Spoiler

abyss1.jpg

The production staff of “Abyss” stated, “There are many things that have not been revealed through this relationship chart. The lives of all these characters will be changed by the mysterious marble known as ‘Abyss.’ That is one of the key points of the show.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1320440wpp/abyss-shares-sneak-peek-at-the-relationships-around-park-bo-young-and-ahn-hyo-seop

I'm really excited for this! I think I'm happy about the Netflix thing. I used Netflix to watch Memories of Alhambra and it seemed to work out well. Is the worry that the subs won't be correct or they will air a different version than is aired on TvN? 

@adqu  Thanks for even more teasers! 

This reveals even more of the plot.  I didn't realise aliens were involved with bringing Cha Min back to life. I thought they were both murdered but it seems like Cha Min's death was accidental (Big question is why was he on the ledge though?) and  Se Yeon was murdered.  I also thought Seo In Guk and Jung So Min cameo d as grim reapers but it looks like they are the aliens.

The interesting thing about these teasers is they are emphasising the drama aspect rather than the comedy aspect from the early trailers.  I noticed some Chinese fans on Weibo are disappointed as they wanted a light romantic comedy.  But after watching Oh My Ghost/Ghostess! I believe we can trust the director to combine romance and comedy with the more serious aspects and the mystery :D

3 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

I'm really excited for this! I think I'm happy about the Netflix thing. I used Netflix to watch Memories of Alhambra and it seemed to work out well. Is the worry that the subs won't be correct or they will air a different version than is aired on TvN? 

I think the worry for some is  they will have to wait a long time to watch as Netflix isn't airing the drama for weeks, even, months in some countries.  As others have said Netflix also sometimes cut scenes or anything involving copyright.  Some people have also pointed out their subtitles aren't very accurate.

Archived