[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

It's good to see the HE and our adorable couple back together. I love both leads, their chemistry and only watched until the end because of them lol. The plot (made no SENSE at all), pacing and tone was terrible. Started so strong and then fizzed out by 1/4 in and never recovered. I don't regret watching it and again, it's due to PBY and AHS. Thanks everyone for the discussion and thoughts. Bye and see you in other threads.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice enough ending episode.  I even got a bit emotional when SY was looking at the pictures and videos of CM and broke down. I am very glad Seyeon and Cha Min got their happy ending. Also Dong Cheol and Mi Do. Her Jin learned to rely on herself and Seo was punished. I enjoyed the drama even though in the end so much potential and a great cast was massively let down by a mess of a script. Still I loved this cast very much and sad they did not meet in a better drama.  Thanks to all the Abyss cast and crew for their hard work and everyone on this thread who contributed to this journey through the good and the bad and the confusing :)

15 hours ago, ᎷᏋᏝᎥ said:

Well he was back after 3 years ....

They got married too ..The scene where they were fighting over the baby gender was so cute  like CM wanting a son at first to look like him and after Seyeon saying no  being like well a girl that will take after me then (CM being like Seyeon saw him with his old face and getting slowly pissed in a cute way)...Well  they went fast to hugging so ( they are such a good couple even thought they look a little akward even being married)

It's some question that remains too like SY father accepted her in the end ?like we see her mom coming at her apartament 3 years later ..

What about CM mom too like how he took CM coming back after 3 years?

There were many loose ends.  Didn't see CM reuniting with his Mun and Auntie?  SY's relationship with her father?  Inconsistencies with the different revivals were never explained.  We still don't know who or what Cardboard Guy was. 

If you have a fantasy/sci-fi element you need to have some internally consistent logic but this drama's logic with regard to the abyss marble was all over the place. 

15 hours ago, lingx2 said:

Thanks for the pictures.  Lovely message from AHS (I can understand the English lol! :lol:) Well good thing for Hyo seop is even if Abyss drama wasn't a success he gained a lot of new fans.  He went from 375k followers when Abyss started to 586k by the end :D

15 hours ago, ᎷᏋᏝᎥ said:

Seyeon taking notes of everything that happend since CM dissapeared was really touching too and like the pages started moving like a wind blow (kinda assuming it was CM that was watching her all the time)

the time capsule was really touching too (like  baby clothes and shoes) 

Sad we saw real Mi do wedding to some extend but just pics from SY and CM wedding

What happend to Hee Jin too?She got her mom dead body at least???(my stream was lagging so not sure if they ever brought that topic)

At least Seo got punished

I thought it was Min reading the pages too.

It would have been so nice to see their wedding.  Really wanted to see Seyeon's wedding dress in motion

They didn't bring up her Hee Jin's Mum.  We just saw HJ and SY hanging out at Hee Jin's new home in the country.  HJ told her secret which we didn't hear but from SY's reaction I'm 99.9% sure HJ told SY she lied about sleeping with Min which was what a number of us on the thread guessed.

14 hours ago, lingx2 said:

omg!! so pretty

I love their wedding pictures.  Such a gorgeous couple and Seyeon's dress looks stunning :wub:

14 hours ago, lingx2 said:

Finally is the end of our Abyss journey. Thanks to those who are still here till the end and hope we'll get to meet in another thread soon :wub:

Thank you to you @lingx2.  You have been one of the most consistent posters always bringing us pictures, news and goodies everyday and keeping this thread going.  Hope to meet you on another thread :kiss_wink:

13 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

So we've finally come to the end of this drama. Still have to catch up on some episodes tho, but glad to know we have a happy ending :D. I know this might not be one of the best dramas for PBY because of the flaws in terms of writing, but glad to see the chemistry between her and AHS. Hope they meet again in a better project sometime in the future...since acting wise, there's no problem at all. 

I've been busy so haven't really had much time to visit too often on the forum, but glad that there are people who stick with this until the end. And yeah, see you in another thread. chingu-deuls! :kiss_wink:

:smile: Also hope they can meet in a better project in the future. Hope to see you in another thread!

Done. Drama made no sense but OTP were very cute. So no repeat watching and not worth dissecting. Don't even know who the male lead is... after all this time. So will go Google his name. Do you guys recommend any of his dramas?

I am in the midst of reading a sci fiction. Full of alien and alien technology. So excuse me if the random orb landing on ONE random person made me laugh.  I will go back to my cloned doctor. Or the space naval officer and his spaceship. Or  should I try an Earth- based novel?

Cute couple. Till this day don't know how Go SY changed her national registration card with the new photo.

And now I can't get my 2 very cute kids in the very cute burgundy striped  sweater from the drama. I was planning on plonking them along the Deuksugung palace wall and taking photos of them. Don't  you guys think that bright top would look good against the stone wall? Lol. This is not quite a joke. Since I am serious about taking photos and we are going to stay near the palace its literally walking distance. What an absolute bummer. 

So Abyss. Done. Dusted. Good luck to the cast and crew in their future endeavours. Have no clue still what happened to the Prosecutor father for Seo. Or did Oh Tae Jin actually pass his prosecutor exam even though he had a false identity? So he did get executed?

The mother was cute with the bedspread. I didn't appreciate Has Jin whispering bedroom secrets to SY. Eww... tacky.

And CM or the actor can't wear tuck in shirts. It was billowing around his small waist. Cute couple though and PBY is always good. Even his reappearance or as my sci- fiction book terminology says that he had no corporeal body and then appearing is utter nonsense. Does not follow any rule set down by a minimally etched out alien world background.

I was worried about too much nonsense with the Abyss and Seo in the last episode, but it was satisfying and beautiful:

• Chief prosecutor finally does the right thing by admitting his crimes and exposing Seo.
  • Park Gi Man finally gets his justice.
  • Dong Cheol finally breaks the case.
  • Seo finally gets punished.
  • SY finally reunites with her parents with DNA testing.
  • CM's mom. Loved how she bought new bedding for the newlyweds given the bed incident.
  • CM sacrifices himself for SY. He is a good man. Truly with a good soul. (Where can I find a man just like him?)
  • CM’s cell phone gift to SY with a camera roll of their pictures. I cried when SY found the selfie video of CM and her dad’s conversation by the fishing lake and broke down in tears because she missed CM so much.
  • SY and MD’s friendship. So cool that they partnered up a firm and are now working together.
  • SY and HJ keep in touch. HJ finally revealed to SY that CM was indeed pure. Well, that is before SY came along LOL.
  • SY’s journal to CM. She never gave up on hope that CM would somehow return back to her.
  • SY listening to CM’s voice message in bed. Appears to be a nightly routine.
  • Their tearful, but happy reunion.
  • Love how sweet they are laying in bed together and just talking. They’ve come such a long way together.
  • It was the cardboard ahjussi who helped CM come back. Are we concluding that he's one of the aliens?
  • CM was with SY all along through the Abyss.
  • The gift/miracle of the news of their baby made the Abyss disappear and now CM is free.
  • Love their wedding photo. They look so beautiful/natural together.
  • The couple - they are just LOVELY. I will miss them dearly. PBY and AHS did an amazing job and their awesome chemistry has been a pleasure.

This show wasn’t exactly perfect all the way, but I truly enjoyed all of it. It’s been an interesting train ride and fun riding along with you all. Thanks everyone!! :)

@raziela Their wedding would've been nice since they didn't even show people reaction when CM came back after 3 years(like his mom?? SY parents especially her father since he doesn't look like he believed all this revival thing with SY...)

Ohh thank you ...I saw the full ep again too with sub

Yes the revival were not explained fully ...And they didn't even show Seo suffering in prison or what happend with his fake father ...Like everyone saw on tv he killed his wife and son like he lost his job ?? Assuming too much time passed for him to face prison but still...

And yes some stuff are missing like who was OYC talking with on phone for example like it was obviously it couldn't be Seo all the time ( like who closed the empty coffin )

I agree with the fizzle.

I think I started to lose interest when the baddies (psychodoctorresurrectedasoldgrandpa) kept playing the heroes and had an omnipotent presence .

I still love PBY to bits and AHY (especially after Still 17 where he was super adorable). I do hope to see them soon, back on the small screen.

I am glad there was a happy ending without my dreaded tropes.

YAY!

@lingx2 Thanks for the ratings.  I have to say I'm surprised (but relieved) the drama managed not to fall below the 2% mark despite the negative response and competition. The fans who did stick with this all the way through were tenacious!

23 hours ago, ck1Oz said:
Spoiler

Done. Drama made no sense but OTP were very cute. So no repeat watching and not worth dissecting. Don't even know who the male lead is... after all this time. So will go Google his name. Do you guys recommend any of his dramas?

I am in the midst of reading a sci fiction. Full of alien and alien technology. So excuse me if the random orb landing on ONE random person made me laugh.  I will go back to my cloned doctor. Or the space naval officer and his spaceship. Or  should I try an Earth- based novel?

Cute couple. Till this day don't know how Go SY changed her national registration card with the new photo.

And now I can't get my 2 very cute kids in the very cute burgundy striped  sweater from the drama. I was planning on plonking them along the Deuksugung palace wall and taking photos of them. Don't  you guys think that bright top would look good against the stone wall? Lol. This is not quite a joke. Since I am serious about taking photos and we are going to stay near the palace its literally walking distance. What an absolute bummer. 

So Abyss. Done. Dusted. Good luck to the cast and crew in their future endeavours. Have no clue still what happened to the Prosecutor father for Seo. Or did Oh Tae Jin actually pass his prosecutor exam even though he had a false identity? So he did get executed?

The mother was cute with the bedspread. I didn't appreciate Has Jin whispering bedroom secrets to SY. Eww... tacky.

And CM or the actor can't wear tuck in shirts. It was billowing around his small waist. Cute couple though and PBY is always good. Even his reappearance or as my sci- fiction book terminology says that he had no corporeal body and then appearing is utter nonsense. Does not follow any rule set down by a minimally etched out alien world background.

The lead male is called Ahn Hyo Seop.  This is his first real drama lead but he had a popular drama, "Thirty But Seventeen", as second lead least year with Yang Sejong and Shin Hye Sun and has a smaller supporting role in one of my favourite period dramas ever "Splash Splash Love" .

I agree the internal logic of the magic/sci-fi of the drama or what happened to CM at the end just didn't really make sense. Your amusingly unimpressed comments with the frequently messy writing have made fun reading :lol:

23 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

I was worried about too much nonsense with the Abyss and Seo in the last episode, but it was satisfying and beautiful:

Spoiler

• Chief prosecutor finally does the right thing by admitting his crimes and exposing Seo.
  • Park Gi Man finally gets his justice.
  • Dong Cheol finally breaks the case.
  • Seo finally gets punished.
  • SY finally reunites with her parents with DNA testing.
  • CM's mom. Loved how she bought new bedding for the newlyweds given the bed incident.
  • CM sacrifices himself for SY. He is a good man. Truly with a good soul. (Where can I find a man just like him?)
  • CM’s cell phone gift to SY with a camera roll of their pictures. I cried when SY found the selfie video of CM and her dad’s conversation by the fishing lake and broke down in tears because she missed CM so much.
  • SY and MD’s friendship. So cool that they partnered up a firm and are now working together.
  • SY and HJ keep in touch. HJ finally revealed to SY that CM was indeed pure. Well, that is before SY came along LOL.
  • SY’s journal to CM. She never gave up on hope that CM would somehow return back to her.
  • SY listening to CM’s voice message in bed. Appears to be a nightly routine.
  • Their tearful, but happy reunion.
  • Love how sweet they are laying in bed together and just talking. They’ve come such a long way together.
  • It was the cardboard ahjussi who helped CM come back. Are we concluding that he's one of the aliens?
  • CM was with SY all along through the Abyss.
  • The gift/miracle of the news of their baby made the Abyss disappear and now CM is free.
  • Love their wedding photo. They look so beautiful/natural together.
  • The couple - they are just LOVELY. I will miss them dearly. PBY and AHS did an amazing job and their awesome chemistry has been a pleasure.

This show wasn’t exactly perfe

ct all the way, but I truly enjoyed all of it. It’s been an interesting train ride and fun riding along with you all. Thanks everyone!! :)

Lovely summary of the loveliest parts of the final episodes^_^ You had the same thought as me about what HJ whispered to SY. I forgot to mention that I love that SY and real Mi Do went into business together.  :P Really happy they formed a friendship from everything that happened and SY formed two positive female friendships by the end. Thank you for all your insightful and positive posts in this thread too :)

22 hours ago, ᎷᏋᏝᎥ said:

@raziela Their wedding would've been nice since they didn't even show people reaction when CM came back after 3 years(like his mom?? SY parents especially her father since he doesn't look like he believed all this revival thing with SY...)

Ohh thank you ...I saw the full ep again too with sub

Yes the revival were not explained fully ...And they didn't even show Seo suffering in prison or what happend with his fake father ...Like everyone saw on tv he killed his wife and son like he lost his job ?? Assuming too much time passed for him to face prison but still...

And yes some stuff are missing like who was OYC talking with on phone for example like it was obviously it couldn't be Seo all the time ( like who closed the empty coffin )

Ah yes!  More loose ends. I forgot about the mystery of who the stranger was that nailed SY's coffin shut.  I guess the director and writer hoped the audience would forget too because they didn't even try to explain! :lol:This script was such a mess:vicx:

12 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

I saw the preview of ep 16. And I'm not ready enough to watch it. I tried a few first minutes of ep 16. I already can tell why CM keeps saying those words to her. It's breaking my heart. SY even didn't realize that he's leaving. Sighh... 

So please tell me,  is it happy ending? If it's yes, I'm going to watch it right away! If it's not. I'm going to keep it for later. I don't need sad stuff right now. Cuz I'm so sick of it. I have enough for it. 

Don't worry.  It is a very happy ending! :D

Personally I did not like the story as much as I wanted to. The only thing that saved me from stopping watching was uri leads and their magnetic chemistry. I also have to give it to PBY because even though she has short hair like DBS character, SY was nothing like BS. She was really able to make this character separate from the others like Oh my ghost ess (didn’t even realize at first it was the same actress). I just hope the next drama she gets, the story is as intriguing as her character so I can enjoy it even more, she’s one of my favorites.

@raziela Ditto - I had fun "watching" with you so thanks for all of the commentary! You were great with responding back to everyone here. See you around :)!!

My only complaint about the last episode is that I wished they had shown us their wedding and photo shoot because the stills that @lingx2 shared with us were just amazingly gorgeous!!

Archived