[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, lingx2 said:

EP5 preview

@turtlegirl Right? That was also my reaction! I really don't know what to make of that preview for episode 5. Maybe it will make more sense when I have watched episode 4?:huh:

Thanks so much for all the screenshots for episode 4 @lingx2

I'm really shocked that CM died again in this episode and puzzled with what was written on the abyss and why it falls into the murderer hand now? How will CM come to life again? Questions are adding up in every episode :sweatingbullets:.

I like tonight episode more than the previous and the story line is getting more interesting, attracting me to want to know more about the rules and function of the abyss.

1 hour ago, lingx2 said:

I'm really shocked that CM died again in this episode and puzzled with what was written on the abyss and why it falls into the murderer hand now? How will CM come to life again? Questions are adding up in every episode :sweatingbullets:.

I like tonight episode more than the previous and the story line is getting more interesting, attracting me to want to know more about the rules and function of the abyss.

Thanks for sharing your views :) I will need to watch Episode 4 when I get home. 

I'm glad you said you liked it more than episode 3 as I was disappointed by ep 3 also (too little screen time and development for SY and CM, way too much time on the serial killer sub-plot) especially after how much I enjoyed Episode 2.

I'm nervous about the ratings as the K-netizens comments translated at melohwa for episode 3 were not good:  they found the violence was too much, too graphic and off putting; plot was too confusing and unfocused; quite a few mentioned they don't like the acting of Shady Seo's actor or Lee Sung-Jae playing the old YC. I'm not going to copy and paste as it's not really pleasant reading :( 

I'm just hoping the creative team behind Abyss see the critical comments and listen to them for the subsequent episodes.  Minimise the violence and murderer scenes and re-focus the drama on what people want to see which is more of the humour and fluff with the main characters Seyeon and Cha Min living and working together and their character and relationship development...although not sure how they can do that if they killed CM again in episode 4 :tears: 

Does anyone know the rating for ep 3? Kdrama News hasn't updated on Twitter yet so idk. Hope it didn't go down. But I have to agree that there's too much graphic even on ep 2 as well...haven't watched ep 3 yet. I think they focus too much on the killer since the revelation which I believe is quite early. Are they actually gonna make 16 eps just chasing YC?..and him being arrested or perhaps dying would be the conclusion of this drama? I know it's the main purpose or theme here, trying to find the killer but then on ep 2, we already know who did it. I thought this would be a guessing game of who it will be but I was wrong. Or maybe I misunderstood it, that this drama is actually more on the thriller side rather than romcom. The drama is actually pretty good but I was hoping for a more balanced one..Koreans I think doesn't like too much dark-themed dramas. But maybe not all. Perhaps they should tone down on the killings or showing too much of the killings itself so agree with you @raziela..we need some fluff moments too bw SY and CM.

I love these types of dramas but for some reason, I would wanna see more development on SY and CM's relationship...ha ha..since I love their chemistry here, I kinda wanna see it more rather than focusing on the killer :D

Guys, really into this drama. I have no idea how they're going to revive Cha Min, but it is a fantasy drama. They can introduce basically any new rule as they have done already (only those revived by Abyss can see it, etc). I'm  not worried about his return...The only thing I'm concerned about is utilizing the Abyss too much, like you can't revive people every time they die; it ruins the tension. It's going to have to be destroyed at some point, so that the story has some stakes in it. Can't wait to see how everything develops. 

Also, really random and totally a side note, but am I the only one totally charmed by Lee Si Eon's character? I think he's so sweet.  Not going to lie, kind of shipping Ga Young with him after this latest episode. Am I the only one??? :joy::joy::joy:

What an unexpected development... I am very curious on how Min will be brought to life this time. The owner of Abyss is now YC, and he can only use it without anyone else around... It's not like he's going to volunteer bringing Min back to life...?? Are we going to spend ep.5 without Min then? Don't get me wrong, I'm not really aiming for fluff and romance, I started this drama with little expectation of that. Just wanted to see some good fantasy drama....

Will SY have to kill YC to become the owner of Abyss so as to save Min? Maybe she would and YC died, and the story will shift focus to the person he tried to bring to life in the preview? Who could that be?? When is Monday coming again? I don't understand where the writer is bringing us to... Maybe I should just stop asking questions because apparently none would be answered soon...

So now that Min died again if he will be revived will he still have the same face (but yeah of course lol ahn hyo seop is the male lead lmao) but didn't Seo Inguk's character said in the first ep that he can have that face until he dies hmmm I'm curious on how they are going to do it possibly they are going to introduce a new rule for the abyss. When I watched the last scene without subs I panicked because I thought what was written before the abyss disappeared was that you can't revive someone who died twice thankfully I was wrong. Also at the end of the preview hee jin and se yeon were shocked with that they saw and I think that is Min's body.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Does anyone know the rating for ep 3? Kdrama News hasn't updated on Twitter yet so idk. Hope it didn't go down. But I have to agree that there's too much graphic even on ep 2 as well...haven't watched ep 3 yet. I think they focus too much on the killer since the revelation which I believe is quite early. Are they actually gonna make 16 eps just chasing YC?..and him being arrested or perhaps dying would be the conclusion of this drama? I know it's the main purpose or theme here, trying to find the killer but then on ep 2, we already know who did it. I thought this would be a guessing game of who it will be but I was wrong. Or maybe I misunderstood it, that this drama is actually more on the thriller side rather than romcom. The drama is actually pretty good but I was hoping for a more balanced one..Koreans I think doesn't like too much dark-themed dramas. But maybe not all. Perhaps they should tone down on the killings or showing too much of the killings itself so agree with you @raziela..we need some fluff moments too bw SY and CM.

I love these types of dramas but for some reason, I would wanna see more development on SY and CM's relationship...ha ha..since I love their chemistry here, I kinda wanna see it more rather than focusing on the killer :D

Ratings were not released for Monday dramas as there was a problem with Nielsen's data system.

I agree with you. I don't get it either as there isn't much suspense if we know who the killer is and they know who the killer is.  As you said they need to balance it out and I also felt Ep. 3 was unnecessarily violent.  This was not promoted as a gritty, violent serial killer hunt with occasional humour. It was promoted as a fantasy rom-com with a mystery sub-plot.

3 hours ago, ErikaJ said:

Also, really random and totally a side note, but am I the only one totally charmed by Lee Si Eon's character? I think he's so sweet.  Not going to lie, kind of shipping Ga Young with him after this latest episode. Am I the only one??? :joy::joy::joy:

Lee Si Eon's character is sweet. I guess that will be part of Seyeon's character development that he is actually a decent guy who loves the real Mi Do and SY will eventually feel bad for lying and manipulating him. At least they are giving him cute scenes.  Meanwhile the actual promised OTP are getting no cute scenes and Min obsessing over his lying ex-fiancee -_- 

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I don't understand where the writer is bringing us to... Maybe I should just stop asking questions because apparently none would be answered soon..

This is exactly how I feel!

Just saw episode 4.

ANDWWAAA!! CM cannot die! This is why he should of read the user manual first. 

5 hours ago, lingx2 said:

I don't know how he'll come back now besides GSY being the one to bring him back.

Finally they updated EP3 rating

Abyss-EP3-Rating.png

I really hope they can do something to the dropping rating :( but I really enjoyed yesterday flow of the story and at least they showed us some unexpected outcome that I'll never expect it. There's room for improvement to attract back the audience since it's just only EP4.

Lee Si Eon's character currently is my favorite among all now :lol: But I don't really see a romance will be developed between him and SY but more likely a brother and sister relationship. He's  sweet towards SY but somehow a bit over protected and I'm interested to know how he and Mido with a totally different character became couple but seperated lol

So I finally watched episode 4 and have some questions...

Is it presumed that Seo faked the attack/head injury so that old YC can get away?

Has CM started to doubt HJ? He seemed to treat her a bit coldly after finding out that she lied about being pregnant with his baby and quickly saying that she was single, but I couldn't really tell because he brought her home. Is he doing this in order to figure out her motives?

In the preview for episode 5, was old YC digging up a grave? Any idea on who's arm was sticking up from the ground??

There were indeed no real cute fluff scenes between CM and SY, but there was something behind a few scenes of theirs that I liked...

When CM was sulking from not being able to find HJ, I liked the part where SY offered CM water and encouraged him to recharge himself so that they continue searching for HJ. CM was a bit surprised at her gesture, but she said she was willing to help CM in order for him to move on once he saw that she was doing okay. SY has been mainly thinking about herself so I thought it was a sweet move on her part.

When HJ's interrogation with the police made CM look suspicious to SY, she seemed to be in a bad place because she didn't feel like she could trust CM anymore. Once she was able to confirm CM was CM, she was so relieved and glad that it really was him along. Now trust is of no issue between the two.

When CM died (again...smh), it was sad, but now SY probably understands the grief CM felt when SY died. When CM is revived and back again, I bet she'll value his existence even more so now. 

Previously it's been CM who's shown care and regard for SY so it was nice to see SY show them in return.

I'M LOVING THIS DRAMA! PBY playing another thriller drama really reminds me with SWDBS but I love this drama more than that. PBY's character is so mature and smart which is so pleasing to watch. The main lead is indeed PBY, not AHS. 

On 5/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, stargazer187 said:

Why were both CM and SY and YC revived in the form of their soul? But not with HJ? I don't get this part and I think abyss work inconsistently here. 

It was said at the first episode that usually the human soul and its face are the same. When CM was revived, even the two characters who revived him were confused with the change. But they didn't tell us the reason why, only that they are reborn with the face of the soul.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, stargazer187 said:

What I'm more curious about is prosecutor SJU? I have a gut feeling that he's behind SY's murder. 

Yes! From the first episode he really seemed so fishy. At first, I thought he was just jealous of SY but after watching the scene of him knowing YC's house password makes it more obvious. SJU might be YC's son from one of his three marriages... or he may be YC's accomplice... idk, I'm filled with theories.

There are a few things the writer wants to show us though; CM and SY coming in to a store to check his fingerprints which the guy sees CM's ID card, old YC asking for a coffee that might be the only coffee young YC orders to the woman, SY keeps on yelling Cha Min to CM in front of DC and HJ and also the other way around. Maybe these things can be used for the development of the case but I may have just overthink this drama lol.

I will hate it if the rules of the abyss will grow more complicated and nonsense yet I'm so looking forward to next week's episode. 

3 hours ago, lingx2 said:

I really hope they can do something to the dropping rating :( but I really enjoyed yesterday flow of the story and at least they showed us some unexpected outcome that I'll never expect it. There's room for improvement to attract back the audience since it's just only EP4.

Lee Si Eon's character currently is my favorite among all now :lol: But I don't really see a romance will be developed between him and SY but more likely a brother and sister relationship. He's  sweet towards SY but somehow a bit over protected and I'm interested to know how he and Mido with a totally different character became couple but seperated lol

I hope so too! The unpredictable flow of the story is the main reason why I'm still on this train ride even though I'm not quite sure where the writer is taking us :lol:.

Lee Si Eon's character is a total sweetheart to MD/SY. I don't ship him with SY (for obvious reasons), but I do love how SY calls him "oppa-aah". You can see CM rolling his eyes when she does LOL.

It was said in the drama that they will be revived based on the look of their soul but I don't think that's the thing I think they are being revived based on the look of the person they didn't like or hated. Min became handsome maybe because he hated handsome guys who had it easy in life compare to him who kept being rejected. Se Yeon hated lawyer Mido. And I think Young Chul looks likes an old man and that look is the same with his father maybe he hated his father. When Heejin was revived her browsed was disappearing and his acne marks reappeared maybe because she hated how she looked in the past.

Archived