[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

Thanks @ktcjdrama I knew I had probably missed some details! I was watching at my friend's house and his daughter and grand kids were coming in and out of the room. I was trying not to be too distracted haha. So we only have one *main* killer that we know of so far. That makes it a little less complicated at least :)

Haha your profile pic/gif. I love it. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, read through everyone's comments...all very insightful...

Now, what if...the Mi Do we saw at the airport was a completely other different person? Lol ok I know that would be way too complicated but think about it...girl at airport had long hair...Mi Do had short hair. Yeah I know it's probably a wig, and I'm reaching with that one, but......

Anyways my best guess is that Mi Do is still alive and new SY got her face because Mi Do went to plastic surgeon and changed HER face (which I think will look more like old SY now lol cause we could tell she was jealous of SY's looks even though she acted like she wasn't jealous). Though, she still could've died during surgery who knows.

There has to be someone working for the serial killer, right? Someone with short dark hair, who showed up at the airport and took HJ. I don't think that was the surgeon/serial killer or the shady prosecutor. Also if "J" is serial killer...how would HJ get ahold of his phone to call the shady prosecutor or even know who she was calling? Seems like serial killer took out his phone, dialed the number, and handed it to HJ who then was just begging for help to anyone. Why did serial killer want the prosecutor to hear the girl begging for help? The prosecutor seemed just annoyed by it and hung up. He surely wasn't concerned by what he heard. So he's definitely in on whatever is going on.

I guess if CM's revival really just was due to a "traffic accident in the skies" then we won't be seeing anymore from Seo In Guk or Jung So Min huh? But still I'd like a *little* more info on who they were and how it all works! 

Someone mentioned the changing colors of the abyss ball might mean something. I think I want to go back and look for any possible meanings now lol. 

At the very beginning of episode 1, I thought the abyss ball could only revive *one* person, not multiple people. Now that we know it can basically revive anyone, I wonder if it will need to be used again in future episodes and if so, on whom...Hrmmmmmm

6 hours ago, lingx2 said:

I'm wondering whether the Abyss can tell the future?

and who is this guy who nailed the coffin? If he's the murderer, so he knows that Se Yeon already reincarnated as another person just like him?

I think the Abyss can tell the future, but mostly it revive anything that is dead. From that picture you had, it revive the roses and they didn't realize it. Remember Cha Min hasn't read the user manual, yet. I'm sure there's a lot in there, like he has to be careful on who he revives.

Also I'm sure the guy who nailed the coffin knows that Se Yeon is revive and out there, because he was also revived, too, but since he's revived as an ugly version of himself, he can't go back to being the legendary doctor he was.

3 minutes ago, turtle0217 said:

I think the Abyss can tell the future, but mostly it revive anything that is dead. From that picture you had, it revive the roses and they didn't realize it. Remember Cha Min hasn't read the user manual, yet. I'm sure there's a lot in there, like he has to be careful on who he revives.

Also I'm sure the guy who nailed the coffin knows that Se Yeon is revive and out there, because he was also revived, too, but since he's revived as an ugly version of himself, he can't go back to being the legendary doctor he was.

I thought at first the abyss ball revived the flowers too....but then it seemed that no, CM actually bought new flowers for her mom. I need to go back and re-watch that scene. 

wait someone mentioned the abyss ball predicted the future. now i see why. the abyss ball showed the new, pretty flowers before CM actually went and bought them.....so, yeah, it predicted the future. interesting.....

Actually, the multitude of body changes/switches have me totally confused now.  

Also, where is Min's dead body?  Still lying in the field?  Where's Prosecutor's body since the coffin was empty?

If the bodies have been resurrected, what are the chances that old and new bodies might bump into each other on the streets?  (Hey, you!  What are you doing in my body?!  Give it back! :lol:)

If they haven't been resurrected, then, who has the bodies and why?:huh:   Don't tell me that he is a great surgeon because he has lots of practice on his stash of bodies. Ewww:blink:

1 minute ago, Auntie Mame said:

Also, where is Min's dead body?  Still lying in the field?  Where's Prosecutor's body since the coffin was empty?

The bodies are transformed to new look. They are using their same body, just looking differently now. 

On 5/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, lightbringer06 said:

I really love the bantering bw Cha Min and Se Yeon, shows their 20-year friendship..I would echo what Se Yeon's colleague, the other prosecutor, said that Min has 20-year crush on her and yet she still hang around with him. Wonder why. I want to see their backstory on how they became friends to understand why Se Yeon stayed friends with him despite that.

I am hoping we get some flashback scenes to their past and childhood too. I want to know more about their backstory and would love to see the child versions of Seyon and Min.

10 hours ago, adqu said:

i'm guessing The Swoon will be the one posting the snippets...? they just uploaded a bunch on their channel, all subbed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpiCK8c6PBktcxq7Az_t4RQ/videos

Thanks for finding this. So we will be getting some kind of clips at least.  Still I wish tvN YouTube channel was posting some clips too.  The Swoon only has 8.4k followers compared to the tvN YouTube channel which has 2.2 million followers :persevere: 

I'm glad we can at least watch the NaverTV clips.  I noticed they are blocked for some other dramas.

LOL! Random but I love that we have two users with turtle related names on the same thread @turtle0217 and @turtlegirl :lol:

5 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

I just watched episode 2 with subs late last night. Was too tired to post after that although I had so many thoughts swirling in my head. I will try and post what I can remember right now, then I'll go back and read through the thread later. 

This drama really gets you thinking!  I'm going to re-watch tonight as the Episode 1 subtitles were not working properly where I watched.

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes, she is Hee Jin... but there is something else also, the guy who kidnapped her at the airport asked for Oh Soo Jin. So she could be a con-artist too.

She is definitely a mysterious and shady character. I want to know how Seyeon even knew her as SeYeon was the one who played matchmaker and introduced Hee Jin to Min.

new stills:

0000610019_001_20190510092206372.jpg

also this thumbnail from netflix (it's a spoiler i guess so you've been warned):

Spoiler

abyss_81087762.jpg

that's so hee's character if you can't see clearly (i forgot her name oops)

15 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Try watching the part where Min first took out the Abyss from his pocket, after he admired his new handsome reflection on a store window. He reiterated what happened to him was due to In Guk and So Min, and then referred to the Abyss as Dragon ball.

Watched it again and you're right! Thanks. So I guess the question now would be, who In Guk and So Min are and why they caused the accident killing of Cha Min...hmmm..

Okay, wait, at first, I thought that the abyss revived the flowers that night SY and CM are bickering because the flowers were originally like this...

20190510-105220.png

Somewhat reddish and pinkish in color. And then the abyss showed this..

20190510-105153.png

So I assumed it revived them. But then comes morning where Min was asking SY for money and then was shown walking by SY family's resto..and the flowers were like this...

20190510-105133.png

I was a bit confused there for a moment because I thought that the abyss will revive anything dead. But then someone said here it could also predict the future?..hmm..that would be very interesting.

@raziela Yup! A good backstory of them would be nice too..how they even became friends..Min being the chaebol and all and SY just average (?)...and also that mom of his who looks like she would look down on people so I bet she probably doesn't even like SY ^_^.

40 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

Okay, wait, at first, I thought that the abyss revived the flowers that night SY and CM are bickering because the flowers were originally like this...

Somewhat reddish and pinkish in color. And then the abyss showed this..

So I assumed it revived them. But then comes morning where Min was asking SY for money and then was shown walking by SY family's resto..and the flowers were like this...

What the Abyss showed does look more like the original arrangement (and color), instead of the flowers Min bought.

Maybe..., through the Abyss, we can get to see the "life" of dead creatures? It certainly did not revive those original flowers since it wasn't activated on the flowers. But maybe later we get to see that it can revive dead plants and animals too....??

Thank you fo the new stills @adqu

@ktcjdrama LOL! I loved that Min called it a Dragon Ball at first :lol:

@lightbringer06 Thanks for the screenshots of the flowers and the abyss.  It makes it much clearer! 

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

What the Abyss showed does look more like the original arrangement (and color), instead of the flowers Min bought.

Maybe..., through the Abyss, we can get to see the "life" of dead creatures? It certainly did not revive those original flowers since it wasn't activated on the flowers. But maybe later we get to see that it can revive dead plants and animals too....??

I like that idea that Abyss can see the "life of the dead".  There must be some significance of Abyss showing the original flower arrangement.  I wondered about it reviving dead animals and plants too because the "rule" that appears when Min is trying to resurrect the man in the alley is "An Abyss can revive anything that has died" but it seems to work with souls and plants and animals don;t have souls so maybe it wouldn't work?

I've just completed my re-watch of Episode 1 and noticed a lot of things I didn't pick up on at first.

One very big thing I missed (sorry if someone has mentioned this already:relaxed:): 

The very first crime scene in the drama Seyon finds a picture of two girls in a comic book and puts it in her bag.  Later SY returns home drunk and crashes into the man who has dumped his cardboard in front of her house.  They get into a little fight and she falls down and drops her bag and all her papers.  When they are picking her stuff up from the ground the cardboard guy STEALS the photograph (timestamp is about 41:05).  At first I thought he was either the surgeon or the avenging Dad but I looked closely and he is definitely a different man.  Who is he and why would he steal the picture?  We also didn't find out why Seyeon took the photograph.  What did she see in the picture?

I'm also wondering if  the cardboard man is the mystery man who who nailed Se Yeon's coffin shut.  Why?

So many mysteries! We are only on Episode 2 and this drama has my mind like: giphy.gif

59 minutes ago, raziela said:

The very first crime scene in the drama Seyon finds a picture of two girls in a comic book and puts it in her bag.  Later SY returns home drunk and crashes into the man who has dumped his cardboard in front of her house.  They get into a little fight and she falls down and drops her bag and all her papers.  When they are picking her stuff up from the ground the cardboard guy STEALS the photograph (timestamp is about 41:05).  At first I thought he was either the surgeon or the avenging Dad but I looked closely and he is definitely a different man.  Who is he and why would he steal the picture?  We also didn't find out why Seyeon took the photograph.  What did she see in the picture?

I'm also wondering if  the cardboard man is the mystery man who who nailed Se Yeon's coffin shut.  Why?

So many mysteries! We are only on Episode 2 and this drama has my mind like: 

I know right!! Can't stop thinking and speculating about it... haha...

I don't think the cardboard man stole it. I think he took it by mistake thinking that it's part of the paper to be recycled. As for reason for SY to take it, that could be the picture of her and the victim? But the name Seung Hoon should be a male, I think.... Or, is it a picture of her and Min's fiancee?

We're not shown the face of the man nailing the coffin, but I think it's the old YC.... I feel that the cardboard man is only shown to throw off SY thinking that her murderer is that cardboard man due to the similar black jacket/raincoat.

1 hour ago, raziela said:

So many mysteries! We are only on Episode 2 and this drama has my mind like: 

LOL...seriously! I logged into the thread tonight thinking..."Oh I'm only two pages behind from last night", but after reading everyone's super detailed thoughts (and questions), I find that I need to completely re-watch episodes 1 and 2 to better prepare myself for 3 :lol:.

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

True...we are just on 2 eps yet lots of questions already arising..lol...shows how much we're invested in the mysteries of this drama :D

@raziela Agree with @ktcjdrama, I think the man mistook the picture since he was picking those cardboards and it seems SY knows him with the way they speak. We also didn't see a better glimpse or look at that cardboard man so I think he'll appear later on..as he mistook the picture and that picture might hold some significance as well.

12 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

I thought at first the abyss ball revived the flowers too....but then it seemed that no, CM actually bought new flowers for her mom. I need to go back and re-watch that scene. 

Yes, I have a feeling he went and bought new flowers and the abyss didn't revive it. It was a hint to us that the abyss can see the future and knew that CM was gonna go buy new flowers, that's why he ask for 10,000 won from GSY and she hesitated to give it to them.

7 hours ago, raziela said:

LOL! Random but I love that we have two users with turtle related names on the same thread @turtle0217 and @turtlegirl :lol:

HAHAHA! I see it, but I always forgot to mention it to @turtlegirl that we have the same user names and we can definitely confuse people in thread. Lol. :lol::lol::lol:

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I don't think the cardboard man stole it. I think he took it by mistake thinking that it's part of the paper to be recycled. As for reason for SY to take it, that could be the picture of her and the victim? But the name Seung Hoon should be a male, I think.... Or, is it a picture of her and Min's fiancee?

We're not shown the face of the man nailing the coffin, but I think it's the old YC.... I feel that the cardboard man is only shown to throw off SY thinking that her murderer is that cardboard man due to the similar black jacket/raincoat.

5 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

@raziela Agree with @ktcjdrama, I think the man mistook the picture since he was picking those cardboards and it seems SY knows him with the way they speak. We also didn't see a better glimpse or look at that cardboard man so I think he'll appear later on..as he mistook the picture and that picture might hold some significance as well.

Good points, both! I may have overthought it and it was an accident. This drama makes me suspicious of too many characters lol! I definitely agree the cardboard man having the photograph will definitely come into play later.

Drama beans episode 1 recap is out:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/05/abyss-episode-1/

@turtle0217 we've been in a couple threads together, haven't we? i guess we are soul mates, or would it be, "turtle mates" har har har yeah i'm lame sorry B)

i never even noticed the photograph in the first place. i'm glad we've got each other on here to help point out missed details. this show is definitely a "need to watch each episode more than once" show 

Archived