[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

20 minutes ago, Auntie Mame said:

Somehow or in someway, Min's mother must be involved.  She has money, which equals power and influence.  And, she demands that her every wish is fufilled.  She seems to be one nasty b*/ch.   

Gee, they should have made her the serial killer. She's scarier than the doctor.:P 

LOL. It does seem that way. CM's mom's aura reminded me of one of those evil dowager empresses from period dramas. She seems to be on some meds too. I remember the assistant/housekeeper handed her some when she was getting super worked up. Putting her on my suspect list :lol:.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will tvn just not post the drama snippets on youtube or are they just blocked in my country? or like, did the intern that runs tvn's sns just forget to change the videos from 'private' to 'public' lol? maybe it's just my bo young-biased mind being paranoid and expecting more, but the way tvn's been handling abyss content and promotion seems very lazy compared to other dramas. they usually do at least one q&a on kakao or vlive, they film some content for sns, but nothing... even like the lack of ads in the streets of seoul (some of bo young's korean fans pointed it out)... hm, i wonder if it's something to do with netflix's deal...

On 5/8/2019 at 6:27 AM, taeunfighting said:

I just finished two and it’s SO GOOD! In the preview for three, did I read the subs correctly that CM wants to find SY’s murder so that he could return back to his old form and have his fiancee back? :blink:

I think the translation is a bit misleading.  I think he just means back to an innocent man rather than a murder suspect.  We know he definitely doesn't want to go back to being ugly!  I'm surprised he is still so hung up on his fiancee after she insulted, humiliated and dumped him but he clearly has low self-esteem after years of being ugly and I'm positive she is the first real relationship he has ever had. 

On 5/8/2019 at 6:27 AM, taeunfighting said:

Yes! After hearing what SY told CM, the scene of him secretly replacing the flowers for SY's mom was so super sweet of him. You are right. CM and SY in their new forms seem to have provided a better balance in their relationship. CM seems to have a bit more confidence to talk back to sassy SY and SY seems a bit more humbled with her "normal" looks. I loved how CM made SY look at herself in the mirror and told her that his heart is no longer pounding as she's not his type anymore :lol:.

Or the scene where he sheepishly asked for money? Then he got brave and remembered the money is actually his :lol:  I think UglyChamin would have just accepted when she refused but Hot!ChaMin was like, hey, that's my money!

20 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

I really love the bantering bw Cha Min and Se Yeon, shows their 20-year friendship..I would echo what Se Yeon's colleague, the other prosecutor, said that Min has 20-year crush on her and yet she still hang around with him. Wonder why. I want to see their backstory on how they became friends to understand why Se Yeon stayed friends with him despite that. PBY being cutesy is life!...ha ha..love the chemistry as well. We can definitely see why the different appearance of them after reviving, Min is definitely a good person, and, well, Se Yeon, while she may not be an overall good person, I can see where it's coming from..we know she judge people by their looks but she's not that bad. I believe this will be one of the points of this drama as well, Se Yeon's character devopment. Se Yeon and Min are like polar opposites, one coward and one brazen..tall and short :D...handsome and not-so^^...their situation best define opposite attracts :rolleyes::wub:

So far, the mysteries I needed answers are:

- why did Min accidentally die and who/what caused his death (aliens??..add to that In Guk and So Min's characters..btw, I was so happy seeing them together again..I was so sad of their tragic ending in TSHLYE so seeing them again makes up for it..even loving the reference of 100 millionth star falling :wub:..they have one of the best chemistries I've ever encountered)

- what's the deal with Se Yeon's colleague, he's so obviously suspicious..and who's the "J" that keeps calling him and asking for help (don't know if the director likes this actor as well, after being a detective in TSHLYE, now a prosecutor? :D)

- what happened to Mi Do

- why older Yeong Cheol kidnapped Min's fiancee

Soo enjoying this thus far...hope to see ratings rise next week! :kiss_wink:

Yes, I love their relationship so much and how you can tell from their comfortable interactions that they have a long history together. Even though SY complains and is mean to him it's obvious she trusts and cares about him.  I'm looking forward to their character development as a result of this change in their lives. 

Adding more mysteries: 

- Who did Cha Min's new handsome form belong to originally?

- What exactly is Abyss?  Sometimes it seems like it is sentient and observing things.

7 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

Somehow or in someway, Min's mother must be involved.  She has money, which equals power and influence.  And, she demands that her every wish is fufilled.  She seems to be one nasty b*/ch.   

Gee, they should have made her the serial killer. She's scarier than the doctor.:P 

:lol: She is scary and Min doesn't seem that close to her.  I wonder what their relationship was like as she seems to be a scary perfectionist. He seems  to be closer with the assistant lady who found his blood stained clothes.

7 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

LOL. It does seem that way. CM's mom's aura reminded me of one of those evil dowager empresses from period dramas. She seems to be on some meds too. I remember the assistant/housekeeper handed her some when she was getting super worked up. Putting her on my suspect list :lol:.

:lol:LOL!  I can definitely see her doing something suspicious.

1 hour ago, adqu said:

will tvn just not post the drama snippets on youtube or are they just blocked in my country? or like, did the intern that runs tvn's sns just forget to change the videos from 'private' to 'public' lol? maybe it's just my bo young-biased mind being paranoid and expecting more, but the way tvn's been handling abyss content and promotion seems very lazy compared to other dramas. they usually do at least one q&a on kakao or vlive, they film some content for sns, but nothing... even like the lack of ads in the streets of seoul (some of bo young's korean fans pointed it out)... hm, i wonder if it's something to do with netflix's deal...

I agree with you that the promo is lacklustre. I definitely can't see any clips on YT either. They have only posted the previews and the making-of. I am very surprised about the lack of clips on YouTube especially. There are no clips uploaded to IG and Twitter either. These are all important areas for marketing but Abyss is barely visible on them and I have to search through all the videos for other dramas to find anything Abyss related. Their other dramas have tons of clips uploaded across all formats.

What happened to that Netflix show (The Swoop? The Swoon?) that was supposed to do interviews too.  If this lack of promo is because of the Netflix deal then that sucks.  Surely they should be able to secure better and more promo because of Netflix money but there is less than average promo.  What is going on? I'm very disappointed in tvN's lack of promotion.  This drama and everyone working so hard deserves better support.

3 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

The how and why for the body changes are still  unclear.   

- Nice Min, died by accident, and got a new body that personifies his soul. 

- A bit arrogant prosecutor died a violent death, and got the body of another person who had also died.

-  Evil serial killer either kept his old body because he didn't completely die. Or, he died and revived with his own evil body, just older.

Ok, here's what confuses me. I try to think it through, but I'm still confused. So Lee Mi Do is now dead right and Go Se Yeon got her soul and looking like her? Because it doesn't explain anything besides she was speaking to a plastic surgeon right when she arrived at the airport.

Look at Cha Min's case, he's ugly on the outside, but inside he's a very handsome and nice person, that's why his soul is nice looking like that. So for the doctor, I think he's just an evil looking of himself after being revived. Like remember from Cha Min's abyss, it states that you are revives from the dead into the form of its soul, so the doctor doesn't desire or hate one person particularly, he's an evil person himself, that's why he's just an uglier version of him. Just my guess.

18 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

So far, the mysteries I needed answers are:

- why did Min accidentally die and who/what caused his death (aliens??..)

- what's the deal with Se Yeon's colleague, he's so obviously suspicious..and who's the "J" that keeps calling him and asking for help (don't know if the director likes this actor as well, after being a detective in TSHLYE, now a prosecutor? :D)

- what happened to Mi Do

- why older Yeong Cheol kidnapped Min's fiancee

Trying to answer based on my understanding:

- Min, while hanging for his life, was hit by Seo In Guk who flew too low... (in Chinese subs, it's "traffic accident", and I think I heard the same term in the Korean as well) which is why he felt needed to give him the Abyss and bring him back to life

- I think the colleague is covering up for the serial killer, J (Yeong Cheol), because Min's fiancee called from that same phone, then ran to hide from the old form Yeong Cheol. How are they related? still a mystery....

- Mi Do went overseas to study, thus leaving the law firm for a short while, which is why SY can pretend to be her, going back to office and her condo.

- Have no idea why YC kidnapped Min's fiancee... we're not yet told what is her occupation. Since SY introduced her to Min, could she also be a prosecutor? or from the prosecutor office? and she might know a bit about the serial killer case, which is why she is taken by J....?

5 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

The how and why for the body changes are still  unclear.   

- Nice Min, died by accident, and got a new body that personifies his soul. 

- A bit arrogant prosecutor died a violent death, and got the body of another person who had also died.

-  Evil serial killer either kept his old body because he didn't completely die. Or, he died and revived with his own evil body, just older.

Was it mentioned that Mi Do had died? I don't remember.

30 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

They showed the scene of her being killed in her car by  a scruffy bearded person.  Most likely, the revived serial killer. 

Another point I just realized is that when the avenging father killed the serial killer doctor, he was headed for the prosecutor's house.  And, this is how  Min, who was on the way to the prosecutor's house, happen to find him on the ground.  So, Min really did enable the serial killer doctor to murder the prosecutor by reviving him. 

Min didn't read the manual on the abyss per SG's instructions.  Tsk, tsk.:P

The serial killer doctor's body change may be like what happened in "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

2 hours ago, turtle0217 said:

Ok, here's what confuses me. I try to think it through, but I'm still confused. So Lee Mi Do is now dead right and Go Se Yeon got her soul and looking like her? Because it doesn't explain anything besides she was speaking to a plastic surgeon right when she arrived at the airport.

Like @ktcjdrama said she went abroad to study and they haven't heard from her recently but my guess is we will find out later that she is dead. I just don't think the revived souls would take on the form of people who are alive.

39 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I agree with your other answers to @lightbringer06 but my guess is Mi Do is dead and nobody knows yet.

9 minutes ago, Auntie Mame said:

They showed the scene of her being killed in her car by  a scruffy bearded person.  Most likely, the revived serial killer. 

That wasn't Mi Do. That was the rude lawyer woman who crashed into the revived killer outside the prosecutor's office and it scattered all her papers. The woman was being snobby and rude and that reminded SY of Mi Do. The killer murdered the lawyer because of how rude she was. I'm not at my computer so I can't rewatch for the exact words but he says something about it in the car when he stabs her to death. 

21 minutes ago, raziela said:

Like @ktcjdrama said she went abroad to study and they haven't heard from her recently but my guess is we will find out later that she is dead. I just don't think the revived souls would take on the form of people who are alive.

I agree with your other answers to @lightbringer06 but my guess is Mi Do is dead and nobody knows yet.

That wasn't Mi Do. That was the rude lawyer woman who crashed into the revived killer outside the prosecutor's office and it scattered all her papers. The woman was being snobby and rude and that reminded SY of Mi Do. The killer murdered the lawyer because of how rude she was. I'm not at my computer so I can't rewatch for the exact words but he says something about it in the car when he stabs her to death.  

He said "You shouldn't have looked down on me"

Agree that Mi Do might have died, but she could still be alive too. Since it wasn't mentioned (yet) that one of the rules is that the souls would not be the form of people who are still alive.

SY's soul could be looking like Mi Do because maybe deep inside, she is insecure about her looks, and that's how she really felt about herself, that's why before she was killed, she is making use of her pretty face to her advantage. Real Mi Do could appear later on to cause some confusion to the situation...?? Just a wild guess...

Is there a character chart for this drama?

55 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

He said "You shouldn't have looked down on me"

Thanks! That's right! I couldn't remember exactly.

57 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

SY's soul could be looking like Mi Do because maybe deep inside, she is insecure about her looks, and that's how she really felt about herself, that's why before she was killed, she is making use of her pretty face to her advantage. Real Mi Do could appear later on to cause some confusion to the situation..

Interesting thoughts. I think she might be insecure not necessarily about her looks but maybe she worries that people are only interested in her because of her appearance? Or maybe insecure about her background as we have seen she comes from a quite working class family (parents run a chicken shop)?

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Is there a character chart for this drama?

There is a chart but no translation :(

Character chart 

@adqu posted a link to the character descriptions on page 7 of the thread too (no proper translation for this either:( but the Google translate mostly makes sense:lol:): 

http://program.tving.com/tvn/abyss/13/Contents/Html?h_seq=1

@ktcjdrama Good points. Though the way Min died is still not clear enough to me since there was no mention that it was In Guk's fault for flying too low that caused the accident, maybe that'll be explained later on. Or idk if it's missing in the translation.

As what some had already mentioned, Mi do came back to Korea, and was seen calling the doctor telling him she's back. That is why Min bumped into her in the airport. So, yes, she might be already dead or god knows where she is, no further details about that has been revealed yet. So as you said, she might appear later on and add some confusion to this already confusing drama...lol :D.

@adqu That's what I have been thinking since the start of the first episode, why TVN didn't upload some clips on YT because they usually do. I was waiting for it since I usually check it there. All of their ongoing dramas have clips uploaded there except Abyss...so maybe this has something to do with Netflix since this is their only drama currently airing right now in Netflix as well. I just don't understand though. This also happened before with Mr. Sunshine..no available clips on TVN channel..it seems it's blocked?..from my notifications, the video was there but when I tried opening it, it says it's blocked in my country. But if you check the TVN channel, just the previews are there.

15 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

Though the way Min died is still not clear enough to me since there was no mention that it was In Guk's fault for flying too low that caused the accident, maybe that'll be explained later on. Or idk if it's missing in the translation.

Try watching the part where Min first took out the Abyss from his pocket, after he admired his new handsome reflection on a store window. He reiterated what happened to him was due to In Guk and So Min, and then referred to the Abyss as Dragon Ball.

Reading the character description, it does seem that Mi Do might appear again, but maybe with different face, which is probably why her picture in the character chart isn't shown? Because it's still a secret/surprise for the viewers? Well, sometimes, that could be due to no cast confirming yet though...

I'm wondering whether the Abyss can tell the future?

TSKS-Abyss-E02-720-P-KO-CN-mkv-snapshot-

and who is this guy who nailed the coffin? If he's the murderer, so he knows that Se Yeon already reincarnated as another person just like him?

E01-190506-HDTV-1080-P-Guard-mp4-snapsho

I just watched episode 2 with subs late last night. Was too tired to post after that although I had so many thoughts swirling in my head. I will try and post what I can remember right now, then I'll go back and read through the thread later. 

So first off I was surprised how much we are learning by episode 2. The doctor/surgeon is the serial killer? I was not expecting that! And CM definitely revived him on the ground that night, and now he is an old man? Wild. But so since he was murdered and brought back to life outside SY's apartment, then we are to assume he did NOT kill SY, correct? Are we also to assume that he was the one nailing the empty coffin shut and that he saw CM revive SY but it didn't bother him since he had been revived himself? 

The father of the other girl murdered, the one who went and murdered the surgeon/serial killer/old man now....WHY did he cut the guy's ankles? Any ideas? Maybe the guy kept his daughter as prisoner with ankle chains and that's what he meant by I want you to feel all the pain she felt? I guess he's going to be axed by next episode too, since surgeon/serial killer/old man was like now you'll get your wish to see your daughter. I assume he meant by sending the man to heaven. I wasn't expecting *that* to be resolved so quickly. 

But now if this serial killer isn't the same one who murdered SY, then we have really no clues as to who did murder her. 

The shady prosecutor partner...when he answered that phone call from "J", was it the same girl talking on the other end whom we saw running from the serial killer/old man in the warehouse looking place? I like how we're left to "assume" these things but not quite given the evidence for them. Also the girl running in the warehouse...was that CM's ex-fiance, Hee Jin? At first I was thinking no it didn't look like her...then I went back and found scenes with Hee Jin and thought, well, actually, I think it is her. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison or are we thinking it is indeed her? And if so, then who kidnapped her at the airport! The guy who kidnapped her had short black hair and both the shady prosecutor and surgeon were busy at the time, so who was it? And why did they kidnap her? Also back to the shady prosecutor, why did "J" call him? Was it Hee Jin and did he have something to do with her kidnapping still? Ooo my head is already spinning. What else did I want to say. Serial killer/surgeon/old man now....SY was definitely on to him as being the serial killer we found out in episode 2. In episode 1, when her and shady prosecutor went to see the surgeon, she noted that he was probably the one who made the suture on the dead body that had come in 2 days prior because the stitch was tied opposite like the surgeon tied his other stitches. Why did the surgeon make a suture on the body though? I can't figure that one out. Also I re-watched that scene and shady prosecutor was like "he won't make a good witness" like so the shady prosecutor didn't know what SY was onto, right? And maybe the shady prosecutor was trying to steer her in a different direction because he knew himself was the surgeon was up to? Maybe I'm reading way too into this. 

Oh I just remembered this thought I had. CM was like oh even if the detectives track me down from my credit card, they can't arrest me because I look nothing like my old self. I had this thought I wonder if they did a blood test, what it would show? I guess they got all new DNA though since he developed an allergy to peanuts was it? 

Mi Do, I'm still curious if she's going to look completely different cuz she gets plastic surgery or if she died while getting plastic surgery or what. What if she makes herself look like the old SY? OMG can you imagine them running into each other like that? Lol. I do think it's hilarious that she's the ex of the detective and he's pining for her now that she texted. And they meet next week! Awkward. 

Besides all the mysteries I love the interactions between CM and SY. So much bickering! But it's cute bickering. I can't wait to watch them get closer :)

I can't remember what else I wanted to say. So I'll leave it at this for the time being and read through everyone's comments in a while. 

Oh yeah, who is sending those notes to the shady prosecutor?

38 minutes ago, turtlegirl said:

But so since he was murdered and brought back to life outside SY's apartment, then we are to assume he did NOT kill SY, correct?

He was brought back to life as an old man, and that old man was the one who killed SY, while Min was busy waiting for paramedics to come and then going back and forth trying to find a wounded man. We can see that the one who killed SY was the old man from her flashback. The lower half of his face was shown. I can't remember which minute it was. Will tag you when I come across it again later.

39 minutes ago, turtlegirl said:

Also the girl running in the warehouse...was that CM's ex-fiance, Hee Jin?

Yes, she is Hee Jin... but there is something else also, the guy who kidnapped her at the airport asked for Oh Soo Jin. So she could be a con-artist too.

Archived