[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

Also melohwa translated some netizen comments for the first 2 episodes. As you can see Episode 1 comments were a bit harsh (IMO) and I am surprised of all the criticism of Kim Sa Rang's acting. I liked her but maybe this is something that is only obvious to Korean speakers?:huh: Good news is the response was very positive for Episode 2.

[Abyss] PILOT Ep 1 spoilers, Park Bo Young x Ahn Hyo SeoSeopSeop

Article: Naver 'Abyss' Park Bo Young x Ahn Hyo Seop, reborn with their souls' appearances 

1. [+1289,-112]
Guess the rumors that Kim Sa Rang was switched out after the script reading session for Mr Sunshine are true... Just do CFs instead. 
2. [+767,-63]
Today's episode was a party for bad acting. 
3. [+538,-59]
Something about Kim Sa Rang's acting is awkward. 
4. [+522,-145]
I was surprised.... I didn't know that the Ahn Hyo Seop in 'Thirty but Seventeen' is the Ahn Hyo Seop in here when I watched it. He's different now... He does feel like a male lead!! I think he'll be popular in the future. 
5. [+274,-53]
I think the story development will begin in the next episode. It's going to be fun. 
6. [+204,-6]
What's with that "Am I suspicious?" acting by the prosecutor's colleague? 
7. [+238,-45]
Sorry, but what's with the acting here..? 
8. [+221,-37]
This confirms and shows evidence that Ahn Hyo Seop isn't lead material yet.. I think he was a little too rash. 
9. [+193,-47]
I get immersed the moment Park Bo Young appeared. 
10. [+125,-13]
I was looking forward to this because of Bbo-vely [t/n: Park Bo Young], but it was a little disappointing. 

Article: Naver 'Abyss' Kim Sa Rang catches attention with her special appearance.. immersion level↑  
1. [+182,-10]
Who is that male actor? The one who appeared as the prosecutor... His acting is rea~~~lly bad. 
2. [+122,-21]
I can't wait to see Park Bo Young in the next episode. She had too little screen time yesterday. 
3. [+134,-33]
Kim-vely... I hope to see her in a good drama soon. 
4. [+99,-29]
She has a good body, but her acting is just... 
5. [+46,-2]
Looks like the concept is about reversing their appearances~ The guy becomes handsome after reviving~ The girl is the opposite~ Does Kim Sa Rang become Park Bo Young when she gets uglier? 
- [+34,-4]
She's just shorter. She's a face genius too. Bo Young-ssi. 
6. [+25,-4]
Her acting is so bad... 
7. [+30,-10]
Her age doesn't show. How fascinating.. How does that face belong to someone in their 40s? 
8. [+25,-7]
This is kind of interesting. 
9. [+17,-4]
Is Kim Sa Rang really in her 40s? I thought she was a rookie that looked like Kim Sa Rang. 
10. [+14,-4]
Kim S R who was fired from Mr Sunshine after the script reading session. I understood why after watching yesterday's episode. 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/05/abyss-pilot-ep-1-spoilers-park-bo-young.html?m=1

[Abyss] Ep 2 spoilers, Ahn Hyo Seop & Park Bo Young

Article: Naver 'Abyss' Ahn Hyo Seop revived Lee Sung Jae too...  

1. [+149,-2]
I had goosebumps when he said, "I'll let you meet your daughter." No, but why is he still that way after reviving him... (Is the doctor's soul itself a serial killer...)
2. [+85,-10]
I went, "What's this?" when I watched the first episode, but the 2nd one is fun. 
3. [+64,-5]
So Lee Sung Jae was the murderer. 
4. [+50,-7]
I wasn't looking forward to it, but it's really interesting. 
5. [+40,-5]
The thrill is amazing. 
6. [+26,-11]
It's hard to understand the leads' emotions. They don't feel confused or taken aback after dying, they become energetic and lively in just a day. ㅠㅠ Park Bo Young-ssi is doing 2 roles, I know that she has different tones for both, Lee Mi Do's satoori is perfect, her acting tone is stable too. But Go Se Yeon says her lines too fast and it makes people annoyed. She has so many lines that it gets tiring. Now that she's pretending to be Lee Mi Do, I hope she tries to do an acting tone that is in the middle of the two. 
7. [+17,-2]
The plot is fresh and thanks to that, the murder case is more difficult to guess, making it more interesting. 
8. [+14,-1]
'Abyss' seems mysterious. 
9. [+12,-0]
So why did the prosecutor's friend open up her coffin?
- [+1,-0]
Because Ahn Hyo Seop called her, "Se Yeon-ah." 

Article: Naver 'Abyss' Ahn Hyo Seop revived serial killer Lee Sung Jae 
1. [+183,-14]
I had goosebumps at the end. Looks like it gets more interesting as it goes. 

2. [+79,-1]
Everyone looks suspicious. It seems like they are hiding something. 

3. [+84,-8]
Someone else was the one who revived the serial killer. 

4. [+59,-15]
'Abyss' is so fun. I look forward to next week's episode. 

5. [+44,-7]
I think it gets more interesting as it goes. 

6. [+21,-0]
Looks like the serial killer Lee Sung Jae only grew older, as compared to changing appearances. 

7. [+18,-1]
I have a feeling that it will be more worth watching in the future. 

8. [+16,-2]
The story is fresh. 

9. [+14,-2]
It makes me look forward to next week. 

10. [+11,-1]
I enjoyed watching this.

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/05/abyss-ep-2-spoilers-ahn-hyo-seop-park.html?m=1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Watched the first 2 episodes, and frankly, I'm not sure what to think. I guess that's good? I need to check to see if this is another mash up genre of romantic comedy-thriller-murder mystery? Plus, Park Bo Young is so cute, I'm not sure I'm buying all the jokes about how she isn't the most beautiful woman any more. Just as Ahn Hyo Seop is very cute, but not sure that all women would immediately fall for him.

More mysteries: So the prosecutor took over the body of a woman she used to know? Is that woman dead? Why did the doctor's appearance not change versus the prosecutor and the heir's? And why did the grim reapers not only bring back the heir from the dead, but then allowed him to have the abyss which has the power to bring others back to life?  They haven't really clarified the rules of the abyss yet, so it's a bit confusing as to what's happening. I enjoyed the cameos by Jung So Min and Seo In Gook, though.

I'm not sure yet whether this is a drama that I'll keep watching. So far, it's really Park Bo Young's charisma as an actress that will bring me back to continue watching for now.

In my opinion, she is dead, since we saw the soul flying above the heir before he took the appearance of this "handsome" person.

The prosecutor Seo Ji Wook is definitely working for the serial murderer. He has been covering up his tracks. The doctor Oh Young Chul's face hasn't changed because of the blood on his hand. I noticed that the abyss showed a different color, when Cha Min revived him: red like blood. On the other hand, the abyss ball shone bright/yellow in front of him and Go Se Yeon indicating that these persons' soul is pure. This could explain why the serial killer didn't change his face that much. 

Besides, I believe that Se Yeon might not be the one who introduced Hee Jin to Cha Min. I have the impression that Hee Jin is connected to the prosecutor Seo Ji Wook. I also believe that Cha Min is representing someone he might have met in his past. Both persons are connected to the deceased. 

10 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Watched the first 2 episodes, and frankly, I'm not sure what to think. I guess that's good? I need to check to see if this is another mash up genre of romantic comedy-thriller-murder mystery? Plus, Park Bo Young is so cute, I'm not sure I'm buying all the jokes about how she isn't the most beautiful woman any more. Just as Ahn Hyo Seop is very cute, but not sure that all women would immediately fall for him.

More mysteries: So the prosecutor took over the body of a woman she used to know? Is that woman dead? Why did the doctor's appearance not change versus the prosecutor and the heir's? And why did the grim reapers not only bring back the heir from the dead, but then allowed him to have the abyss which has the power to bring others back to life?  They haven't really clarified the rules of the abyss yet, so it's a bit confusing as to what's happening. I enjoyed the cameos by Jung So Min and Seo In Gook, though.

I'm not sure yet whether this is a drama that I'll keep watching. So far, it's really Park Bo Young's charisma as an actress that will bring me back to continue watching for now.

- I think in terms of the looks you just have to suspend disbelief just like all these dramas where the obviously pretty heroine is supposed to be plain. They did address this in the press conference and said that obviously everybody knows PBY is pretty but she looks more typically Korean, cute and short compared to tall, sexy, model looking former Miss Korea like Kim Sa Rang. Seyeon character is superficial and used to turning heads when she walks in a room so looking cute is like a downgrade tor her.  There are also the negative feelings she associates with the original owner of her face.  

- We don't know what happened to the real Mi Do yet.  Nobody has heard from her since she went away to study.  My theory is that she is dead and we will find out later.

- I personally think the surgeon's appearance didn't change simply because they wanted to use the same actor.  But as you can see other viewers have more interesting theories than mine :lol:

- Seo In Gook and Jung So Min's characters killed Min by accident as they were flying at a too low altitude. They felt bad so they revived him with Abyss.  I noticed the way the Abyss worked on Cha Min was very different to the way it worked on Seyeon and the killer.  It was like it absorbed Min's soul.  Seo In Gook said Cha Min was the owner now so I think it won't work for anyone else besides Min which is why they allowed him to keep it.  I really enjoyed the JSM/SIG cameo too even though I have not watched their previous drama.

- I think we are going to start to learn the rules alongside Cha Min.  Until Seyeon revived he thought his previous two attempts didn't work and the aliens were scammers.  I think he will be more careful now!

Can anyone clarify this for me....

Do we know what year it is in the show right now? I ask because I was re-watching the beginning of episode 1 and SY, while accessing her old friend's murder scene, says it's the serial killer cuz it's the same M.O. as the victim who was killed in 2000. Then shady prosecutor says something like but the serial killer hasn't been active for 4 years. So either she's been chasing the serial killer for like 20 years (clearly that cannot be right), the current year in the show is some early 2000s (which could mean really big time jump at some point?), or the subtitles were wrong on Netflix and it was supposed to say like 2015 not 2000. Anyone have answers to this?? Thanks!!

Edit - they definitely all have newer phones. Are the subtitles on Netflix messed up? Hmmmm

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

In my opinion, she is dead, since we saw the soul flying above the heir before he took the appearance of this "handsome" person.

The prosecutor Seo Ji Wook is definitely working for the serial murderer. He has been covering up his tracks. The doctor Oh Young Chul's face hasn't changed because of the blood on his hand. I noticed that the abyss showed a different color, when Cha Min revived him: red like blood. On the other hand, the abyss ball shone bright/yellow in front of him and Go Se Yeon indicating that these persons' soul is pure. This could explain why the serial killer didn't change his face that much. 

Besides, I believe that Se Yeon might not be the one who introduced Hee Jin to Cha Min. I have the impression that Hee Jin is connected to the prosecutor Seo Ji Wook. I also believe that Cha Min is representing someone he might have met in his past. Both persons are connected to the deceased. 

Upon re watching the beginning of episode 1 again, it seems the abyss ball was red when CM was revived. I'll keep looking for color connections. 

Also just a side note, before departing, the 2 grim reapers/angels (SIG and JSM) tell CM something along the lines of "don't forget we brought you back to life, so you can never get mad at us" to me this implies we will see them again later in the show?

9 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

Upon re watching the beginning of episode 1 again, it seems the abyss ball was red when CM was revived. I'll keep looking for color connections. 

Also just a side note, before departing, the 2 grim reapers/angels (SIG and JSM) tell CM something along the lines of "don't forget we brought you back to life, so you can never get mad at us" to me this implies we will see them again later in the show?

Okay. Thanks for the observation. @stroppyse Another possibility could be that the doctor had already come back from death like with abyss once. That's why his face is no longer changing. First, he knew what was going on. He didn't seem upset. He knew how he could live.

In my opinion, the prosecutor Seo seems to have loved Se Yeon and maybe that's the reason why he tried to comfort her, when she thought about CM's wedding. On the other hand, it also looks like he was making sure that SY would find no clue about the serial killer.

cute video of bo young being "interviewed" by abyss haha we should get videos like this for hyo seop, lee sung jae and lee si eon too i think, based on backstage pics from presscon day

6 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

Do we know what year it is in the show right now? I ask because I was re-watching the beginning of episode 1 and SY, while accessing her old friend's murder scene, says it's the serial killer cuz it's the same M.O. as the victim who was killed in 2000. Then shady prosecutor says something like but the serial killer hasn't been active for 4 years. So either she's been chasing the serial killer for like 20 years (clearly that cannot be right), the current year in the show is some early 2000s (which could mean really big time jump at some point?), or the subtitles were wrong on Netflix and it was supposed to say like 2015 not 2000. Anyone have answers to this?? Thanks!!

Edit - they definitely all have newer phones. Are the subtitles on Netflix messed up? Hmmmm

It's definitely set in 2019 because in Episode 1 in the pictures from the work outing (the picture with Mi Do) 2018 is written on the banner and the colleague who brings the pictures says the pictures are from their work outing last autumn.

I thought this too but then I saw another translation where it said JSM angel/alien/grim reaper said not to get mad at them for bringing him back to life which has a very different meaning.  So it all depends on which translation is correct!

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

In my opinion, the prosecutor Seo seems to have loved Se Yeon and maybe that's the reason why he tried to comfort her, when she thought about CM's wedding. On the other hand, it also looks like he was making sure that SY would find no clue about the serial killer.

I think the other prosecutor was attracted to her too.  He is a bit too touchy-feely at times but it seems like Seyeon has very firmly put him in the work colleague zone. At the same time I agree he seemed to be trying to put her off the scent of the serial killer.

2 hours ago, adqu said:

new stills from the first episodes. i expected them to release stills from next week's :( maybe later..

<_< I don't get why are they only now releasing stills from the already aired episodes when the new episodes are only two days away? Who is in charge of promo for this drama?<_<

1 hour ago, adqu said:

cute video of bo young being "interviewed" by abyss haha we should get videos like this for hyo seop, lee sung jae and lee si eon too i think, based on backstage pics from presscon day

This is cute!  I like the idea of Abyss interviewing the cast!  Maybe The Swoon will sub these videos?

Apparently we will be learning more about the rules of Abyss so some of our questions should be answered soon @stroppyse

(cr: bovely__ twitter)

If my Google Translate is correct then it looks like there will be one more resurrection :o

Right now, I am dying to read through the user's manual.  I think a lot of our questions could be answered by the manual. I hope Min didn't throw it away. :lol:

(I have a big plastic folder, in which I keep any  instruction manuaI  that came with the item.  Drove me crazy when I was asked for the manual(s) by the people who should have, but, hadn't, read them in the first place.  And, the folder is always in plain sight, next to their cache of sports memorabilia.) :P

I checked the Chinese subs, and it also stated 2000. It is possible though, that the first victim was killed in 2000, considering the age of the surgeon (whom we've assumed the serial killer). Not necessarily SY been chasing him for 20 years, but she probably took over the case and had been diligent and more successful in uncovering leads for the case.

Btw, I looked again carefully at the photograph SY took. At first I thought they're both girls, but now I think it's a boy and a girl.

43 minutes ago, Auntie Mame said:

Right now, I am dying to read through the user's manual.  I think a lot of our questions could be answered by the manual. I hope Min didn't throw it away. :lol:

(I have a big plastic folder, in which I keep any  instruction manuaI  that came with the item.  Drove me crazy when I was asked for the manual by the people who should have, and didn't, read them in the first place.  And, the folder is always in plain sight, next to their cache of sports memorabilia.) :P

Haha! You sound nice and organised.  I was thinking "such a typical man" at the start when he was paying hardly any attention about the manual because he was too preoccupied with playing with his new toy :P

37 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I checked the Chinese subs, and it also stated 2000. It is possible though, that the first victim was killed in 2000, considering the age of the surgeon (whom we've assumed the serial killer). Not necessarily SY been chasing him for 20 years, but she probably took over the case and had been diligent and more successful in uncovering leads for the case.

Btw, I looked again carefully at the photograph SY took. At first I thought they're both girls, but now I think it's a boy and a girl.

Thanks for checking the Chinese subtitles.  Yeah, that's what I think too.  She was referring back to one of the earlier killings - not that it was the last time the killer was active.

Good observation.  I thought it was two girls too but just went back to have a look and you are right: it's a boy and a girl.  This photograph seems like it is going to be very important.

9 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

I don't think they will re-appear again because when they accidentally hit and killed CM, JSM asked SIG why did he have to cause trouble on their last day here. Later, she tells SIG that the 100th million star has fallen and that they must hurry off. I’m not sure what that all means, but it leads me to believe that they won't be back and that’s why SIG left the Abyss with CM. I hope I'm proven wrong though because one, I love the the couple and two, they would be the best people to enlighten us about the Abyss. So...if they do not re-appear again, who else would be capable of fully explaining what is the Abyss? Will CM learn the true being of it when he finally pulls out the user manual as SIG instructed him too?? Or will he and SY gradually learn more and more about it as they try and solve the murder mysteries??? I hope the remaining 14 episodes will be enough to answer our long list of questions LOL.

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Okay. Thanks for the observation. @stroppyse Another possibility could be that the doctor had already come back from like with abyss once. That's why his face is no longer changing. First, he knew what was going on. He didn't seem upset. He knew how he could live.

Interesting...I was actually wondering if the prosecutor may have been revived before or if he knows about the existence of the Abyss...now you have me thinking about the surgeon too. This may sound farfetched, but the reason why I think this is when CM kept calling MD as SY outside the funeral home, the prosecutor was shocked, but at the same time, he seemed to easily believe that it was possible that MD could be SY. If I was the prosecutor, I would outright think these people are crazy and leave it at that because realistically how is it logically possible when he saw SY dead in her apartment, etc. Why would he later feel the need to dig up her coffin to confirm? Regardless, this prosecutor is very strange and creepy.

Same here...I've been going back and forth as to whether the prosecutor likes SY or if he just wanted to stay close to her to make sure she doesn't solve the murder case. I guess it could be both.

16 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

@turtle0217 we've been in a couple threads together, haven't we? i guess we are soul mates, or would it be, "turtle mates" har har har yeah i'm lame sorry B)

:lol: Not lame at all. Lol. We'll call out one another when we see each other in other threads. I'll be like "Hey yo, turtle chingu!" hahaha. 

2 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

We're all dying for him to read it. I'm sure it's within the abyss orb, just like how when he showed it to GYS and the letter/writing popped out. 

But with all the pictures that you guys posted about the abyss orb and I went back to check, as of we know now, CM haven't read the user manual, but it was red in the beginning, then turn orange when he revived the surgeon, then yellow when he revived GSY. It had a hint of black when it predicted his future of buying the flowers.

21 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

Interesting...I was actually wondering if the prosecutor may have been revived before or if he knows about the existence of the Abyss...now you have me thinking about the surgeon too. This may sound farfetched, but the reason why I think this is when CM kept calling MD as SY outside the funeral home, the prosecutor was shocked, but at the same time, he seemed to easily believe that it was possible that MD could be SY. If I was the prosecutor, I would outright think these people are crazy and leave it at that because realistically how is it logically possible when he saw SY dead in her apartment, etc. Why would he later feel the need to dig up her coffin to confirm? Regardless, this prosecutor is very strange and creepy.

Yes, yes... I was also thinking that it's so strange that he would bother to dig up the coffin to check whether her body is there or not... It's not like he saw someone looking similar to SY... It's someone who looks totally different from her!

On 5/9/2019 at 9:53 PM, raziela said:

The very first crime scene in the drama Seyon finds a picture of two girls in a comic book and puts it in her bag.  Later SY returns home drunk and crashes into the man who has dumped his cardboard in front of her house.  They get into a little fight and she falls down and drops her bag and all her papers.  When they are picking her stuff up from the ground the cardboard guy STEALS the photograph (timestamp is about 41:05).  At first I thought he was either the surgeon or the avenging Dad but I looked closely and he is definitely a different man.  Who is he and why would he steal the picture?  We also didn't find out why Seyeon took the photograph.  What did she see in the picture?

23 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I don't think the cardboard man stole it. I think he took it by mistake thinking that it's part of the paper to be recycled. As for reason for SY to take it, that could be the picture of her and the victim? But the name Seung Hoon should be a male, I think.... Or, is it a picture of her and Min's fiancee?

22 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

@raziela Agree with @ktcjdrama, I think the man mistook the picture since he was picking those cardboards and it seems SY knows him with the way they speak. We also didn't see a better glimpse or look at that cardboard man so I think he'll appear later on..as he mistook the picture and that picture might hold some significance as well.

I am re-watching episode 1 and remembered this part of the discussion yesterday. In the picture, I think my eyes actually see a boy on the left and a girl on the right, rather than two girls. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, based on SY's reaction upon seeing it, I think the boy is Seung Hun (the dead victim) and SY is likely the girl. Also, it seems like SY and Seung Hun have known each for a long time and that may be simply her reason for taking the picture too. She even lit an incense stick and seemed to have prayed for him.

Regarding the cardboard man, I cannot clearly tell if he intentionally or accidentally took the picture. Either way, I agree that there will be a reason for him and the picture to re-appear later.

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

Very good observation!  It was a very strange reaction too.

1 hour ago, turtle0217 said:

We're all dying for him to read it. I'm sure it's within the abyss orb, just like how when he showed it to GYS and the letter/writing popped out. 

But with all the pictures that you guys posted about the abyss orb and I went back to check, as of we know now, CM haven't read the user manual, but it was red in the beginning, then turn orange when he revived the surgeon, then yellow when he revived GSY. It had a hint of black when it predicted his future of buying the flowers.

@turtle0217 I love the colour coding :D

14 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

I am re-watching episode 1 and remembered this part of the discussion yesterday. In the picture, I think my eyes actually see a boy on the left and a girl on the right, rather than two girls. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, based on SY's reaction upon seeing it, I think the boy is Seung Hun (the dead victim) and SY is likely the girl. Also, it seems like SY and Seung Hun have known each for a long time and that may be simply her reason for taking the picture too. She even lit an incense stick and seemed to have prayed for him.

Regarding the cardboard man, I cannot clearly tell if he intentionally or accidentally took the picture. Either way, I agree that there will be a reason for him and the picture to re-appear later.

I thought it was two girls at first too but @ktcjdrama pointed out on the previous page it was a boy and a girl.  I don't think it's SY and Seung Hun because the prosecutor colleague only mentioned Seung Hun and SY were close in law school. Maybe I am wrong but If they had known each other longer I think he would have said you have been close since you were kids or something like that.  I do wonder how she knew where to look for the picture because there was no obvious clue I could see in that scene as to why she picked that book.

1 minute ago, raziela said:

Very good observation!  It was a very strange reaction too.

@turtle0217 I love the colour coding :D

I thought it was two girls at first too but @ktcjdrama pointed out on the previous page it was a boy and a girl.  I don't think it's SY and Seung Hun because the prosecutor colleague only mentioned Seung Hun and SY were close in law school. Maybe I am wrong but If they had known each other longer I think he would have said you have been close since you were kids or something like that.  I do wonder how she knew where to look for the picture because there was no obvious clue I could see in that scene as to why she picked that book.

Oh oops, sorry - I missed it was already pointed out that it's a boy and girl. You have a good point that the prosecutor did say that Seung Hun and SY were close in law school so it's less likely that the girl in the picture in SY. I thought SY picked up the book at random and then coincidentally found the picture, but now you got me thinking... 

Archived