[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

I used to be skeptical when I first started this drama due to how much they deviated some stuff from the novel (WWX not being the creator of the demonic path, Wen Qing’s personality, etc), but the more I watched , the more I became invested and in the end it won me over. I love Xiao Zhan as WWX, he embodies the character so well, from the carefree, humorous yet serious and clever side to the darkness of Yiling Laozu while still retaining some qualities before his transformation. He’s had some of his best acting moments so far in the latest episodes. Yibo improved a lot too. I love to see his development in terms of his feelings for WWX. I also adore Xuan Lu as Shijie. She embodies the mother figure, the softness, gentleness of Jiang Yanli and the mediator in the family flawlessly. 

I was worried that WangXian wouldn’t be done justice here, but honestly they exceeded my expectations, from the great chemistry to how much they tried to stay faithful to the novel despite the censorship. 

Spoiler

I loved that scene when LWJ told him that he still considered him as his soulmate, and another one where WWX asked his shijie about loving someone, referring to LWJ. Totally didn’t expect and pleasantly surprised by how they were presented from the novel. 

On Douban, it rose from a 4 to a 6.7 thus far, which is pretty impressive and I’m glad  people are liking it more and more. Hope it continues to improve!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, therewillbeddl said:

Hide contents

and another one where WWX asked his shijie about loving someone, referring to LWJ. Totally didn’t expect and pleasantly surprised by how they were presented from the novel. 

which episode is this?

and i agree.. really thankful to the whole team for doing justice to wangxian

Question: Does anyone know for sure if the drama is going to be explicit with it's BL representation? As in, will LWJ and WWX's relationship be shown correctly?
I'm hoping that the drama is not like the anime, in the sense that it won't censor the BL part of it (which is technically the entire point of Mo Dao Zu Shi) like the anime is going to. Does anybody know, or has it not been talked about yet?

1 hour ago, Tayham55 said:

Question: Does anyone know for sure if the drama is going to be explicit with it's BL representation? As in, will LWJ and WWX's relationship be shown correctly?
I'm hoping that the drama is not like the anime, in the sense that it won't censor the BL part of it (which is technically the entire point of Mo Dao Zu Shi) like the anime is going to. Does anybody know, or has it not been talked about yet?

It’ll focus heavily on bromance. It won’t be BL. Not with the ban! This has passed censorship thankfully so far, and they can’t do anything to sabotage that 

so it will only focus on heavy bromance which is portrayed really well in the drama 

8 hours ago, Tayham55 said:

First and foremost, BL is not the "entire" part of it. .. even in novel you get only hints.. so called action happens in the very last chapter and bonus chapters..

drama is BL even now.. they haven't tampered with that..and given much more goodies than even the book..

but ofcourse you can't expect onscreen real mouth to moth kiss

• Like 2

never thought I'd hear someone say the "entire point " of MDZS is the BL lol. I'd say if there was a rank of high profile BL novels where the romance is the least relevant part of the plot, MDZS would be top 5 (the other 4 would be Priest's novels lol)

anyway before I was not sure what's the point of removing WWX's identity as being the founder of demonic cultivation, but I'm really seeing the downstream effect of that now. WWX is having a really hard time controlling his cultivation, at time it seems more like his flute is controlling him (me now realizing the drama title is named after his flute lol). and he's already somewhat losing control Wen Ning even though he's just getting started. I saw many fans disliking the changes because it "softens" WWX but I'm really curious where they're going with this next. XZ's WWX is so much more tortured and sad, rather than arrogant and angry like in the anime, but ngl I don't hate it

Okay, sorry, when I said 'entire point' I wasn't intending on devaluing the novel in any way. I mean't that the BL, or I guess I mean't the romance and relationship between WWX and LWJ is a key part of the novel from what I read. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was being insensitive or rude, I didn't intend for it to come off that way. 

Thank you guys for answering my question, I really appreciate it.

Btw, I'm totally enjoying the series thus far, I just finished watching episode 21 actually, I've been binging the sh!t out of The Untamed for the past three days lol.

Edited by Tayham55
mistake.

10 hours ago, Tayham55 said:

Okay, sorry, when I said 'entire point' I wasn't intending on devaluing the novel in any way. I mean't that the BL, or I guess I mean't the romance and relationship between WWX and LWJ is a key part of the novel from what I read. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was being insensitive or rude, I didn't intend for it to come off that way. 

Thank you guys for answering my question, I really appreciate it.

Btw, I'm totally enjoying the series thus far, I just finished watching episode 21 actually, I've been binging the sh!t out of The Untamed for the past three days lol.

No worries lol. Even I wish China wasn’t so tight! But so far everything is amazing lmao.

And I’ve been waiting for more episodes to air so I can binge! I’m on episode 14 and plan to stay there till it gets to like 30 something 

Ok, I literally made an account here bc I need to dish ab this show. Anyone know if there is a schedule for the subbed episodes? And are there any sites where ep 23 is already subbed?

Also I wish they would have kept the first kiss (at the competition). They could have been sneaky and done it kind of from WWX'S POV and just never revealed who it was, that would have been god-tier fanservice T^T

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OtterCannon said:

Ok, I literally made an account here bc I need to dish ab this show. Anyone know if there is a schedule for the subbed episodes? And are there any sites where ep 23 is already subbed?

Also I wish they would have kept the first kiss (at the competition). They could have been sneaky and done it kind of from WWX'S POV and just never revealed who it was, that would have been god-tier fanservice T^T

The schedule for subbed episodes for viki seem to be a day after the episodes are released. So there’s 6 episodes a week and episode 23&24 will be available today and subbed completely by Tom or depending on how fast they are by tonight.

I'm definitely impressed by the show! I love ZX's acting as WWX - I love how he managed to add a spark in his interactions with LZ as opposed to his interactions with Jiang Cheng - Even though WWX is sacrificing so much for JC and they spend so much time together, it's pretty clear that his feelings for his siblings are purely platonic.

I'm floored by how the director(?) arranged the music, atmosphere, angles and mood to show the different feelings. And I love how the screenwriter did the dialogue! 

I picked up the (Chinese)  novel version - so far, I'm not very impressed by what transpired up to chapter 16 - not sure if I'm reading the right thing, as it is really different from the drama.

• Insightful 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, NEVERending said:

The  girls at the end calling him cold haven’t seen his bts with Xiao Zhan! 

There is another video of XZ and the guy who plays JC.. and JC is doing sthg kiddish

the feeling i get is.. XZ truly is the popular high school boy there.. plus he is elder than the most.. and has a naturally sunny personality

Yibo is so quiet even when with other actors.. it is sthg about XZ that gets people to WANT to get his attention, be comfortable with him, tease him, be happy..

even LZ's brother is more comfortable with his "sister in law"