[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

3 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

i don't know why they have the invention in the first place.. there was no such Wen sect weapon in the novel.. 

and i think yin iron is just another name for it.. for the iron used to build the seal..

well.. this is going to be a long wait.. if they follow the original story and given preview of ep 24.. i think we are stuck in the past uptil ep 30/32

methinks they did that to increase the screentime for the Wen characters. Wen Qing was all over the first few eps thanks to that. I mean the actress Meng Ziyi’s name is listed 3rd after Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo in credits/info pages/video titles instead of Jiang Cheng or Shijie’s actors...that’s wild lol

I guess that’s a part of why they gotta drag the past out too. they’re much more likely to film extra scenes with the Wens in their evil lair for “plot” than film a random scene like drunk LWJ stealing a chicken for WWX, no matter how much we would rather see the latter

(kind of wondering if a hug is even plausible at this point or if it’s just gonna be stares until the end...I’m not at all optimistic welp)

2 hours ago, shuwei said:

I guess that’s a part of why they gotta drag the past out too. they’re much more likely to film extra scenes with the Wens in their evil lair for “plot” than film a random scene like drunk LWJ stealing a chicken for WWX, no matter how much we would rather see the latter

(kind of wondering if a hug is even plausible at this point or if it’s just gonna be stares until the end...I’m not at all optimistic welp)

it would be hilarious if they could do the stealing chicken scene. it would make my day. jiang cheng got to hug wei ying, don't understand why they can't just give us one small hug between wei ying and lan zhan. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I just realize something very sweet :) Maybe I am the only one who realize it now but I didn't know the difference between calling them by their birth name and courtesy name means a certain closeness and familiarity. Apparently, calling their birth name display a certain type of closest and I realized that LWJ always call him Wei Ying and not Wei Wuxian whenever he is mentally thinking about him. That is sooooo sweet! If I recall correctly, the first time was when WWX is sleeping on his rooftop and he said goodbye referring to him as Wei Ying... I always wonder what is the different but now that I know...I find that really sweet and warm. I felt like WWX called him Lan Zhan almost at the very beginning to get a rise out of him but mentally he also always call him by his birth name. Now I know why the scene when they met after WWX turn to the dark side and it felt strange when WWX called him LWJ instead of LZ because it put distance between them. :(  Btw, I love that scene, the acting, the chemistry and dialogue exploded for me and it hurts. Poor LZ but I also felt bad for WWX as well from his expression after LZ left. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, shuwei said:

methinks they did that to increase the screentime for the Wen characters. Wen Qing was all over the first few eps thanks to that. I mean the actress Meng Ziyi’s name is listed 3rd after Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo in credits/info pages/video titles instead of Jiang Cheng or Shijie’s actors...that’s wild lol

actually if you read the novel, Wen Qing is fairly important.. if this were not a BL,... the last few days in the cave.. she was almost his wife and closest human he could talk and discuss things with

When lan zahn visits him on the burial mound and sees him with A-yuan, WQin nursing him scolding him.. one could easily extrapolate

this is such a wasted opportunity.. darn china...these two boys have such awesome chemistry 

• LOL 1

I have been watching the bts scenes nonstop and their are so freaking cute. Wang jibo loves teasing Xiao and vice versa. 

I really hope we get a confession. Or like a forehead kiss! Damn kiss in the name of cpr or something. Anything please! These two share amazing chemistry. If this was actual BL our screens would explode. 

I'm relatively new to Asian dramas, started watching 2 years ago. Among all the Chinese historical ones that I (so far) watched, this one is very entertaining and well done.  As a manga reader myself, and graphic designer, it's utopist to even imagine that a manga or an anime could compare to a tv show. There are simply incomparable, like oil and water. That is why they call it "based on". 

I think the casting director did such an excellent job with the two main characters. I honestly cannot stop smiling when they interact. 

Considering their background, also the director worked magic to come up with such a performance. I bow to talent but in this case is 50/50. Also, the editing is not perfect and has hiccups all over the place, but overall it's not as boring or complex that you need to either fast forward or rewind. Last but not least, the most important factor that lift this drama above the rest is the lack of  "female hysterical jealousy and revenge ".  I'm so sick of women slapping each other, plotting to kill for the favor of a man or a sinister master that blackmail them. Sure is popular,  just look at the Kardashian, but for people that is annoyed by it, is just as boring as Hollywood  never ending big action's scene. I think a woman with a samurai sword that can defend herself and others is super sexy, as much as two unlike samurai feeling admiration and bouncing secret emotions in a middle of a blood bath. But hey, that is just an amateurish view. I can't find the Chinese version of the episodes from 24 on .....I do not mind watching it in chinese but did Viky bought the copyright?   PS- One last comment: I totally agree with Shu Fei. So why are "putting the leaf on statues" like the Vatican? It's nature, why hide it? 

Edited by Lolait
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Seriously can I pleasantly ask all the fake zombies to stay away from my screen and have your swatting of bodies fun elsewhere...Can I trade it with 5 mins of WWX playing the flute or LWJ fighting then seeing these fake zombies throwing bodies around?! I really enjoy the latest episodes even though it is sooooo sad...poor WWX...keeping everything inside...knowing everything change for him but still keep the facade...it hurts everytime someone ask him why he is not carrying his sword and he said he don't want to...when I want to scream that he CAN'T anymore :( His smile is sooo forced when he tried to smile and only LWJ knows what is going on...but he even didn't know the whole truth...he thought WWX chose this path but didn't know he HAVE no choice...The drama was going all well for me but I can't help but fast forward all the zombies part *rolling my eyes* 

Also can anyone explain the meaning behind the scene where WWX somehow travel to where a bunch of the 'good' sect captured Wen Qing and why he reacted that way...Is he attracted to all the despair, agony and cry from those people? Also when he moved away from the touch of Nie Huaisang, is he afraid of his dark energy would deflect the 'righteousness' of the other cultivators? Sorry if i have too much questions but this is the only place I know that I can discuss about this drama :) Btw, when I heard of the name he given his flute and I search online to see what it may refer too...I really want to cry...:bawling:

I think the drama team just assumes only the most ardent fans of the franchise would watch their bts vids cos they literally spoil everything in there. it's kinda funny

On 7/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, BreezeC said:

I just realize something very sweet :) Maybe I am the only one who realize it now but I didn't know the difference between calling them by their birth name and courtesy name means a certain closeness and familiarity. Apparently, calling their birth name display a certain type of closest and I realized that LWJ always call him Wei Ying and not Wei Wuxian whenever he is mentally thinking about him. That is sooooo sweet! If I recall correctly, the first time was when WWX is sleeping on his rooftop and he said goodbye referring to him as Wei Ying... I always wonder what is the different but now that I know...I find that really sweet and warm. I felt like WWX called him Lan Zhan almost at the very beginning to get a rise out of him but mentally he also always call him by his birth name. Now I know why the scene when they met after WWX turn to the dark side and it felt strange when WWX called him LWJ instead of LZ because it put distance between them. :(  Btw, I love that scene, the acting, the chemistry and dialogue exploded for me and it hurts. Poor LZ but I also felt bad for WWX as well from his expression after LZ left. 

yas it's also something I realized belatedly while reading the novel: no one calls them Wei Ying and Lan Zhan other than each other. not even their closest siblings; JC only uses Wu Weixian, Shijie uses Xianxian or A-xian, and LWJ's brother only calls him Wangji. I'm super happy drama is actually emphasizing this when

Spoiler

WWX was pushed down in Yiling, among all the voices calling him we can hear LWJ's voice calling 'Wei Ying' very distinctively and it got him to get up and survive...like that's the subtext of my dreams :dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 1

this hilarious review yet on point review of the first 16 eps by someone who has read the novel. turn on cc for eng subs.

her suggestion for how to film the confession scene is so freaking funny omg

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is eng sub on the cast fan meeting

Spoiler

23 episode is so Zen Ful.  I could of fallen asleep and meditate at work.  So sad and tranquil while listening to them.  I love this scene.  Gah....  The sound of the flute crying out loud while the zither is there to comfort and shield the flute.  *Tears*  Thank you writer for this scene.  It has many unspoken words in there.

Link to watch Raw 

https://maplestage.com/show/陳情令

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shuwei said:

this hilarious review yet on point review of the first 16 eps by someone who has read the novel. turn on cc for eng subs.

Too funny. LOL

On 7/16/2019 at 12:10 PM, shuwei said:

this hilarious review yet on point review of the first 16 eps by someone who has read the novel. turn on cc for eng subs

Omg it speaks my mind! Well most of it... Thx u so much!

On 7/16/2019 at 1:10 PM, shuwei said:

Omg I'm dying it's too funny lol XD thanks for sharing!! On a side note, I wish there were more BTS videos of them. 

For those reading the english translation, keep in mind which edition the translations are from. 

There are 2 official editions of the novel. Many of the details and arcs are completely removed or just breezed through in the 2nd edition. Perhaps it is a web version ver published version type of thing.

The drama is some what in between the 2 versions plus its own adjustment. The major change so far is the appearance of another seal or whatever it's called that's owned by the Wen sect.

ALL the stills for this week: 

WWX x LWJ

tumblr_purjx5hWEV1u1iqoao6_r1_500.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao8_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao7_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao9_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao10_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao4_1280.jpg

Others characters

Spoiler

tumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao6_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao9_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao7_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao8_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao5_1280.jpg

tumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao7_1280.jpg

How am I going to survive watching next weeks episode? Im 99% certain WWX is going to die by next Wednesday. TT_TT 

tumblr_put1ult5Jp1u1iqoao6_r1_400.gif

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DontEatMyKimchi said:

For those reading the english translation, keep in mind which edition the translations are from. 

There are 2 official editions of the novel. Many of the details and arcs are completely removed or just breezed through in the 2nd edition. Perhaps it is a web version ver published version type of thing.

The drama is some what in between the 2 versions plus its own adjustment. The major change so far is the appearance of another seal or whatever it's called that's owned by the Wen sect.

WWX x LWJ

Hide contents

tumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvqeaFaS1u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao8_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao7_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao9_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao10_1280.jpgtumblr_purqtv54M81u1iqoao4_1280.jpg

Others characters

Hide contents

tumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao6_1280.jpg

Hide contents

tumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao9_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao7_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao8_1280.jpg

Hide contents

tumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_purrfcTWh11u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao5_1280.jpg

tumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_pusvtmOSm01u1iqoao7_1280.jpg

How am I going to survive watching next weeks episode? Im 99% certain WWX is going to die by next Wednesday. TT_TT 

My heart exploded! They are so gorgeous! 

And I’m waiting till considerable amount of episodes are out so I can binge! 14- 34ish lol

But if WWX dies by next Wednesday it’s going to be heartbreaking but at least we’ll be back  in the present! 

1 hour ago, DontEatMyKimchi said:

WWX x LWJ

Hide contents

Others characters

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Ahhhhhhh the stills are amazing!!! I'm waiting it out for a bit too (currently done with 18). Can I ask for spoilers please? That scene of WangJi... 

Spoiler

Is that him after he saves WWX when he lost all control in that battle against 3,000 other cultivators? (I'm basing this on the 2nd edition of the novel) and he's back in the Cloud Recesses to atone for it? Ahhhhh I loved that part in the novel when Lan XiChen was like his only mistake was you (to WWX)!! 

@dreamxx

GIF is from one of the trailers, the scene hasn't air yet. I guessing you are correct, it should be LWJ asking for punishment after saving WWX 

@NEVERending

WWX is mostly like going to die by or at the end of next week. So Ill wait one week and binge on the 12 episodes. Im okay about the part with WWX dying but the arc with Jiang Ling's parents is what tears my heart apart. This happy bubble final burst. I cant handle it.

@BreezeC

He moved away from Nie Huaisang because he lost his 'spirit core' or whatever it's subbed as. WWX is now very weak physically, so he dodged the touch from Nie in case the latter might sense something. Remember how he fell from a single light push from JC, that's mostly like why he doesn't want anyone to touch him. I don't think it's the 'dark spirit' since he has no problems cuddling with Jiang Yanli.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1