Quantcast
RPM

[ MAINLAND CHINESE DRAMA 2019 ] The Untamed 陈情令

11 hours ago, PaulaL said:

Hi everyone! So I was rewatching the whole thing because I'm already with withdrawal symptoms!!! But I had a very very silly doubt some of you may think: what exactly did happen to WX during those 16 years???? After all, he died and "reincarnated" in the Mo guy body with the incantation or he was "dormant" or something??? What does the novel say?

And do check my fav to tell me if you like it!!! I'm finishing LZ version of it too! :blush:

I kinda wondered about that too. After all the main sects tried to summon back his soul with no success and Lan Zhan played his song of inquiry with no response from WY in all those years too 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I think it’s mentioned somewhere in the book the Lan family name does not mean blue. It’s half the word for temple 伽蓝. The original patriarch of the Lan family was a monk who met the love of his life in Gusu, so he left his life as a monk and founded the Lan Sect. But because he used to be a monk, he made up 3000 family rules. Although they are now one of the four largest Sects their family banquets are more somber than funerals and the food is really bland.

The headband everyone in the Lan family wears is supposed to represent self restraint and is taken off only in the presence of their destined person. There’s a bit where Lan Zhan used his headband when he was drunk to tie up Wei Wuxian, to the shock of the younger disciples. They are surprised Wei wuxian doesn’t know the meaning of their family headband, he always thought it was for decoration or something...Wei Wuxian tried to ask Lan Zhan if he loved anyone when he was drunk, when he asked “What about this” while holding Lan Zhan’s sword and pointing at this face,Lan Zhan said “Mine”. Wei Wuxian thought he was talking about the sword (ha ha)

A3-E00598-5-C93-4318-978-F-3-AEA55-B5-C9

• Like 2

How Lan Sizhui was raised by Wei Wuxian vs Lan Zhan....

Planting him like a carrot so that he could grow more little friends to play with vs raising him with the rabbits...

D76-B1659-9-C9-A-4-FDA-9-D97-93-BAA9-B25

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On 8/23/2019 at 7:04 PM, gaia2 said:

I kinda wondered about that too. After all the main sects tried to summon back his soul with no success and Lan Zhan played his song of inquiry with no response from WY in all those years too 

As far as I can tell from the novel, he was just a wandering soul, which was mentioned in 2nd chapter of the novel.

Here's my slight theory, with heavy spoilers for novel/drama:

Perhaps Nie Huaisang initially found Wei Wuxian's soul first and just kept it until the "time was right". (Likely using one of those bags like how Xue Yang kept Xiao XingChen's soul fragments.)

I don't think Nie Huaisang initially suspected Meng Yao of killing his brother for awhile, so maybe Nie Huaisang kept Wei Wuxian's soul to just learn the dark arts, as during their youth, Nie Huaisang seemed to display interest in learning "unorthodoxy" from Wei Wuxian. Huaisang even mentions in the during/after the saber tomb thing about how cultivating with the saber tended to result in an irritable temper and higher chance of cultivation deviation death. So he didn't want to follow in his family's footsteps.

Likely a few years after Wuxian's death, Huaisang probably figured things out and started planning. As Huaisang often visited the Jin sect, he likely met Mo Xianyu many times and saw the boy as an opportunity to set things into motion.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:04 AM, gaia2 said:

This was never mentioned in the novel, we only get tiny hints of what happened when he was dead, like how he knew that he never got any offerings and claimed to be the most peaceful lost soul ever, and that he "was quite well being dead". 

Since he has such terrible memory and never seems to worry about not remembering things I have the suspicion that he doesn't really remember much at all. He lost control of his vengeful ghosts and zombies and got eaten alive right? After he lost everything and everybody. My theory is that he was like Xiao Xingchen and his soul was weak and half dissipating because he lost the will to exist, but after a while recovered somewhat, maybe not long before he was summoned by Mo Xuanyu, which is why he barely remembers anything.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:30 AM, gaia2 said:

Yah the side stories are happy and hilarious. There’s an instance where WY refers to Lan Qiren as the farmer who has had his prized cabbage(LZ) dug up by a pig :)

..... then later when asked where he’s going and what work he has to do, WY replies “nibble my cabbage” :D 

There are two Chinese sayings meaning a good person got married or together with a terrible person, one is "a beautiful flower got stuck on a pile of dung" and the other is "all the good cabbages have been dug up by pigs", obviously wwx wouldn't refer to himself as a pile of dung so pig it is XD But on weibo they say "whether you believe it or not in this case the cabbage dug up the pig" lol

Also I really disagree with WWX being responsible for the death of JC's parents or for Jiang Yanli. He did annoy Wen Chao which probably hastened the conflict of the Wen and the Jiang but it's not like he did anything to especially provoke them, Wen Chao just hated him for being stronger than and not afraid of him. When Wang Lingjiao went to the Lotus pier demanding WWX being punished Madam Yu was not really against it, what angered her most was Wang's attitude and the info that they wanted to use Lotus pier for their own purposes, disrespecting her and her family. Her having her temperament just exploded on Wang Lingjiao and her servants which escalated the fight more than anything WWX had done before. We also have to ask ourselves if somebody wants to hurt somebody else because they are evil and jealous of that person, whose fault is it really? As for Jiang Yanli, she died protecting WWX because she had always loved him as her own brother, she was almost like a mother to him. You can't say it was WWX's fault that she died. If a mother dies saving her child is it the child's fault that she died?

I will concede that WWX killed Jin Zixuan, it was an accident but he did it. Jin Ling has all the right in the world to resent him for it, but I don't think he does anymore, because he got to like WWX before he realized who he was and it's not unrealistic to be biased in his favour. He knew that WWX was provoked by uncle Jin Zixun for no good reason and also had other stuff to worry about. I fell sorry for JL because in the end every tragedy in his life seemed to somehow have been caused by his own family and he is only left with JC and WWX as elders to help and guide him. The whole thing must be so confusing for him, his granddad was a terrible person and also his uncle Jin Zixuan was a douchebag, his uncle Jin Guangyao was the mastermind behind all kinds of evil doings and now his uncle Wei Xuxian who kind of caused the death of both this parents when he was still a baby is living inside the body of his other uncle Mo Xuanyu and his uncle Jiang Cheng is always threatening to break his legs. Poor kid.

• Like 2

H, everyone! I finished my second fan made video of the 2 leads and I am so longing for this drama again!!!

Do check it out and tell me what you think, ok? :blush:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, rittoo said:

There are two Chinese sayings meaning a good person got married or together with a terrible person, one is "a beautiful flower got stuck on a pile of dung" and the other is "all the good cabbages have been dug up by pigs", obviously wwx wouldn't refer to himself as a pile of dung so pig it is XD But on weibo they say "whether you believe it or not in this case the cabbage dug up the pig" lol

Haha those Weibo guys are so cute but it's true in this case that the cabbage did really dig up the pig, just imagining LZ as a giant white cabbage makes me laugh- the shape is wrong but the Color is certainly right :D

• LOL 1

Whatever the reason I think it's good that WWX had such a terrible  memory after he came back and didn't remember lots of things from his past too well, it allowed him to leave those burdens behind and that was perhaps why he sorta regained his happy cheerful carefree personality again 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 3:32 PM, SaltyLemonaid said:

The scenes where Xiao Xingchen's actor played Xue Yang was actually pretty good, better than Xue Yang's actual actor imo. 

I agree. XY's actor played him way way too cartoony at times. But XXC's actor is pretty much perfect as XXC so...Honestly, I feel like XXC is the most tragic character of MDSZ, in a story filled with tragic characters. And I like how the author added that bit about the entire young crew crying for XXC and A'Qing and Wei Ying seeing himself in XXC's ending.

2 hours ago, lizax1 said:

I agree. XY's actor played him way way too cartoony at times. But XXC's actor is pretty much perfect as XXC so...Honestly, I feel like XXC is the most tragic character of MDSZ, in a story filled with tragic characters. And I like how the author added that bit about the entire young crew crying for XXC and A'Qing and Wei Ying seeing himself in XXC's ending.

Yup XXC actor was awesome ... 

In the drama-verse:

Guess WY and XXC's ending had similarities- they both lost the will to go on and suicided. And

8 hours ago, rittoo said:

My theory is that he was like Xiao Xingchen and his soul was weak and half dissipating because he lost the will to exist, but after a while recovered somewhat, maybe not long before he was summoned by Mo Xuanyu, which is why he barely remembers anything.

Could be then that WY soul was also lost and weak like XXC so that no matter how often poor LZ played Enquiry song there was no response. :*(

20 hours ago, SaltyLemonaid said:

As far as I can tell from the novel, he was just a wandering soul, which was mentioned in 2nd chapter of the novel.

Here's my slight theory, with heavy spoilers for novel/drama:

Reveal hidden contents

Perhaps Nie Huaisang initially found Wei Wuxian's soul first and just kept it until the "time was right". (Likely using one of those bags like how Xue Yang kept Xiao XingChen's soul fragments.)

I don't think Nie Huaisang initially suspected Meng Yao of killing his brother for awhile, so maybe Nie Huaisang kept Wei Wuxian's soul to just learn the dark arts, as during their youth, Nie Huaisang seemed to display interest in learning "unorthodoxy" from Wei Wuxian. Huaisang even mentions in the during/after the saber tomb thing about how cultivating with the saber tended to result in an irritable temper and higher chance of cultivation deviation death. So he didn't want to follow in his family's footsteps.

Likely a few years after Wuxian's death, Huaisang probably figured things out and started planning. As Huaisang often visited the Jin sect, he likely met Mo Xianyu many times and saw the boy as an opportunity to set things into motion.

But i also like above theory about what happened with WWX soul tho' I'd like to think that Nie huaisang also remembered their friendship and that was part of the reason he kept the soul too :) and why he later suggested MoXuanyu recall WWX in his ritual

OMG. I just read the whole novel plus bonus materials. I'm still laughing at the scene after Wei Ying made it clear to Lan Zhan how he felt (another heart melting scene), and the dog popped up and they had this exchange in front of Lan Xichen, Jin Ling, Jiang Cheng and Jin Guangyao:

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan!!

Lan Zhan: I'm here!!

Wei Ying: Hold me!!

Lan Zhan: I'm holding you!

Wei Ying: Hold me tight!

Lan Zhan: I'm holding you tight!!

• LOL 2

On 8/23/2019 at 7:22 AM, kongshiah said:

I've basically binged watched the entire drama in 3 days and i'm sad now because there won't be anymore episodes :( I wanna see more wangxian moments~ I must say this drama is now in my top 3 most favorite dramas OF ALL TIME (up there with goodbye my princess and 3w3l). Everything was perfect from the costumes, the casting, to the soundtrack. Despite everyone of them being new actors they all did amazing especially Xiao Zhan (his smile is to DIE for) i've basically been really obsessed with the actors in real life especially Wang Yibo, Xiao Zhan and Song Jiyang

Even though i have never read the novel, (though i will most likely start reading because i fell in love with the storyline and the characters), i wish they showed more scenes from Yi city arc. I was impressed and felt so many emotions by the scenes with Xiao Xingchen and Xue Yang. My poor Xiao XingChen was such a pure soul that was unfortunately taken advantage of by the devious Xue Yang. I wish they showed more scenes of them along with Ah Qing during the 3 years they were there. i felt like they rushed it and didnt show enough of the relationship between the 3 of them. Though i've read from the other posts that the studio being the untamed filmed some side stories so i hope Yi City Arc is one of them? 

I can't wait for the actor's new dramas i hope they all star in another drama again <3 

In the novel the Yi city act is just as short

On 8/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, PaulaL said:

Hi everyone! So I was rewatching the whole thing because I'm already with withdrawal symptoms!!! But I had a very very silly doubt some of you may think: what exactly did happen to WX during those 16 years???? After all, he died and "reincarnated" in the Mo guy body with the incantation or he was "dormant" or something??? What does the novel say?

And do check my fav to tell me if you like it!!! I'm finishing LZ version of it too! :blush:

The drama tries to evade censorship so WWX's coming back to life was brushed off quickly. Even in the novel the author left out quite a few details so how he comes back is not very reasonable (hey, fantasy novel) but I will try to use my experience in reading many cultivating novels to explain this.

So according to common cultivating system, the more powerful a cultivator is, the more powerful is his soul. When a cultivator dies, his soul can either be summoned back (like how Lan family inquire souls or WWX summons Wenning) or break into pieces (like Xiao Xingchen's) or just wander off and with time, fade away into the air. In the cultivating world there's a saying, you used the air around you to cultivate your core, so when you die, you should release that power back to the air. But if a cultivator is really powerful, he would have certain control over his soul, when he dies, he can take over a weak cultivator's body by force by pushing the owner's soul out of its vessel (the action is called duoshe, duo meaning taking by force). However, then the bond between the body and the soul are not very firm (since not it's original soul) and if whipped by zidian (Jiangcheng's weapon) the soul would be pushed out of the body. WWX is very satisfied with being dead and not having the will to reincarnate so he chooses not to duoshe and his soul would have just faded away without Mo Xuanyu. Mo Xuanyu uses a very rare powerful ancient spell that is xianshe (xian meaning sacrifice) to summon WWX. The spell requires the castor to willingly offer up his body to summon a powerful evil being to fulfill his wish (meaning he agrees to die) and since there is no resistance from the original soul, the body acknowledges the new soul as his own so zidian can't push it out.

The novel never clearly explained but I presume Nie Huaisang leaks the spell to Mo Xuanyu, cuz there's no way Mo Xuanyu could have come up with it by himself. He chooses to summon WWX because WWX is actually the most evil and powerful legend there is. I don't think that Nie Huaisang keeps WWX's soul all these years simply because he doesn't have the means (and WWX doesn't feel it)

About why LZ's inquiry doesn't work on WWX. LZ's inquiry doesn't work on everyone, it needs a few conditions to fulfill, for example: 1.the soul has to be nearby or 2.the soul has a very strong bond with the inquirer or 3.the soul is willing to react to calling, all of which are not met.

In the drama, WWX doesn't lose any of his memory, he just couldn't know what's going on in the world during the time he was dead. In the novel, he does lose a bit of it but it would be very long to explain. The reason he can be cheerful again is because he chooses not to mention the past (not that he actually forgets it) and he feels everything in the past ends with his death and he pays back his sins with his life.

• Like 3

OMG Lan Zhan is so shameless!!!

Not only is his money pouch pinched from WY but his beautifully pressed flower bookmarks are also ....made from the flowers he stole from or were given by WY :D 

2 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

In the novel the Yi city act is just as short

The drama tries to evade censorship so WWX's coming back to life was brushed off quickly. Even in the novel the author left out quite a few details so how he comes back is not very reasonable (hey, fantasy novel) but I will try to use my experience in reading many cultivating novels to explain this.

I absolutely loved to ear/read your explanation! I have watched many dramas about cultivation and I saw other characters vanish in thin air because they were really high cultivators and reunited with Mother Earth or something so I think I understand your explanation. I only wonder how people recognize WX in the Mo guy body: were they alike physically? When he takes of his mask, he is recognized as WX but the body he "occupied" with the sacrifice curse isn't Mo's? That means they were alike or just the other guy was always with a mask so no-one really knew how he looks like??

I have to read the novel... :grin:

Don't forget to watch my fan made videos!

10 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

The novel never clearly explained but I presume Nie Huaisang leaks the spell to Mo Xuanyu, cuz there's no way Mo Xuanyu could have come up with it by himself. He chooses to summon WWX because WWX is actually the most evil and powerful legend there is. I don't think that Nie Huaisang keeps WWX's soul all these years simply because he doesn't have the means (and WWX doesn't feel it)

About why LZ's inquiry doesn't work on WWX. LZ's inquiry doesn't work on everyone, it needs a few conditions to fulfill, for example: 1.the soul has to be nearby or 2.the soul has a very strong bond with the inquirer or 3.the soul is willing to react to calling, all of which are not met.

I like your theory the best, way better than my own. It has a much more rosy view of characters like Nie Huaisang and makes more sense.

----

7 hours ago, PaulaL said:

I only wonder how people recognize WX in the Mo guy body: were they alike physically? When he takes of his mask, he is recognized as WX but the body he "occupied" with the sacrifice curse isn't Mo's? That means they were alike or just the other guy was always with a mask so no-one really knew how he looks like??

In the novel, Mo XuanYu's body did not resemble Wei Wuxian's body, I don't believe. I remember Wei Wuxian being a bit miffed that he was clearly shorter than Lan Zhan now (by 8cm), since in his original body, Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan were similar in height.

How Lan Zhan recognized Wei Ying (this was hinted at in the drama, but not quite explicitly explained):

Spoiler

The song that Wei Ying played when he first summoned Wen Ning was the same song as the song Lan Zhan sang to him in the cave with the turtle. It was a song Lan Zhan wrote for Wei Ying. The title of the song is WangXian, taken from both of their names. 

The song's title got censored in the drama, but if you watch the behind the scenes clip, they call it 'WangXian' in the script. I remember the song was even uploaded as "WangXian" after the show initially aired, but got taken down and then reuploaded with the title "Wu Ji". :sweatingbullets:

How Jiang Cheng recognized Wei Ying (drama was similar to the novel, but not quite):

Spoiler

Jiang Cheng knew (or at least got suspicious) it was Wei Ying from the way he acted when he saw dogs, as Jiang Cheng often chased away dogs for Wei Ying from when they were kids.

How everyone else recognized/confirmed Wei Ying (same as the drama):

Spoiler

Wei Wuxian was able to pull out Suibian ("Whatever") from its scabbard. After WWX died, the sword sealed itself, so only WWX was able to pull it out. (In addition to Jiang Cheng, who had WWX's golden core.)

• Like 1

2-AEDFFC7-42-D5-429-A-AE7-B-60-A2-B44458

An illustration of the side story of Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan’s carefree youth.

Wei Wuxian used to go stealing lotus pods from an old man who used an oar to whack him.

Lan Zhan was invited back to Yunmeng by Wei Wuxian but he declined (Wei Wuxian wanted to lure him into getting whacked by the old man with the oar).  Instead Lan Zhan went to pick lotus pods by himself  somewhere else,because Wei Wuxian had told him they taste better with the stem still attached ( the lady in the lotus pond even told Lan Zhan they tastes exactly the same as the ones without a stem).

Big brother Lan Xichen was surprised to see Lan Zhan so happy, but managed to control himself enough not to taste one of the seeds from the pod Lan Zhan had left on display. So he thought they must taste better indeed if Lan Zhan is so happy...

• Like 1

Yes, i read this part and this might be the reason Lan Zhan knew that the pond was belongs to someone. ahh.. :lol:

• Like 1