[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

This is my first time posting to this website. It was my first time every reading a BL novel in my entire life and I must say the book was so GOOD! I’ve never been into those books but I must say I was hooked to the action/storyline. I reread the book again just to fill in the gap from waiting for the drama episodes to be aired. The drama followed the novel pretty close. I am satisfied with the drama and will rewatch it again soon.

If anyone is interested in reading the English translation of this novel, please PM with your email address and I will send you my electronic copy of where I’ve edited and fixed some of the grammar from the original translator.

I’m actually starting to read the author’s other novel, Heaven Official’s Blessing, which I’m also putting into an ePub format. I heard pretty good reviews about this one. 

Edited by MK916
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, chistarr said:

I have been lurking on this site all along and loving both the comments and the show; I came out to ask one question: in ep 46/47 where Lan Zhan gives Wei Ying a spell to help save Wen Ning (in Yunping City), where did he get that from? Did he make it himself?

that spell is made by WWX. it is implied that WWX gave his paper spells to LWJ back in ep 11, and the Yunping City scene is to show thar LWJ has kept them for 16 yrs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I finally saw all episodes and I almost cried in the last with WX reuniting with Ah Yuan!!! so lovely and the tacit understanding between LZ and WX, they don't need words at all! beautiful!

here is my first video for WX! I hope you like it and share with other fans if you want!

:heart: 

• Like 4

There’s a hilarious epilogue where Lan Zhan and Wei Wuxian take Lan Sizhui out night hunting to gain experience. They meet a young gentleman who is being haunted by the zombie of one of his former servants. Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan don’t really want to help him because he wasn’t entirely truthful with them and he doesn’t seem like a nice guy. When the young gentleman comes to their place early in the morning to complain about his persistent zombie problem, Lan Sizhui breaks one of the now 4000  Lan family rules and tells him that his senior Wei Wuxian is sick and needs to rest (he’s not really, he just doesn’t like getting up early). When the young gentleman comes early again the next morning, Lan Sizhui  tells him his seniors are busy sleeping er ....cultivating and can’t be disturbed. When the young gentleman finally tells them the truth about why he is being haunted Wei Wuxian tells him he needs to open all his doors and get a virgin to guard his house. The gentleman requests Lan Zhan be the guard, but he refuses because reasons.... (ha ha). Wei Wuxian laughs that Lan Zhan cold face is so deceptive...

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, frostflower14 said:

There’s a hilarious epilogue where Lan Zhan and Wei Wuxian take Lan Sizhui out night hunting to gain experience. They meet a young gentleman who is being haunted by the zombie of one of his former servants. Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan don’t really want to help him because he wasn’t entirely truthful with them and he doesn’t seem like a nice guy. When the young gentleman comes to their place early in the morning to complain about his persistent zombie problem, Lan Sizhui breaks one of the now 4000  Lan family rules and tells him that his senior Wei Wuxian is sick and needs to rest (he’s not really, he just doesn’t like getting up early). When the young gentleman comes early again the next morning, Lan Sizhui  tells him his seniors are busy sleeping er ....cultivating and can’t be disturbed. When the young gentleman finally tells them the truth about why he is being haunted Wei Wuxian tells him he needs to open all his doors and get a virgin to guard his house. The gentleman requests Lan Zhan be the guard, but he refuses because reasons.... (ha ha). Wei Wuxian laughs that Lan Zhan cold face is so deceptive...

Yes those chapters are 3 of the 14 extra chapters in the novel. They are really fun and cute to read.

• Like 1

I've basically binged watched the entire drama in 3 days and i'm sad now because there won't be anymore episodes :( I wanna see more wangxian moments~ I must say this drama is now in my top 3 most favorite dramas OF ALL TIME (up there with goodbye my princess and 3w3l). Everything was perfect from the costumes, the casting, to the soundtrack. Despite everyone of them being new actors they all did amazing especially Xiao Zhan (his smile is to DIE for) i've basically been really obsessed with the actors in real life especially Wang Yibo, Xiao Zhan and Song Jiyang

Even though i have never read the novel, (though i will most likely start reading because i fell in love with the storyline and the characters), i wish they showed more scenes from Yi city arc. I was impressed and felt so many emotions by the scenes with Xiao Xingchen and Xue Yang. My poor Xiao XingChen was such a pure soul that was unfortunately taken advantage of by the devious Xue Yang. I wish they showed more scenes of them along with Ah Qing during the 3 years they were there. i felt like they rushed it and didnt show enough of the relationship between the 3 of them. Though i've read from the other posts that the studio being the untamed filmed some side stories so i hope Yi City Arc is one of them? 

I can't wait for the actor's new dramas i hope they all star in another drama again <3 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

Yah the side stories are happy and hilarious. There’s an instance where WY refers to Lan Qiren as the farmer who has had his prized cabbage(LZ) dug up by a pig :)

..... then later when asked where he’s going and what work he has to do, WY replies “nibble my cabbage” :D 

• LOL 1

Hi everyone! So I was rewatching the whole thing because I'm already with withdrawal symptoms!!! But I had a very very silly doubt some of you may think: what exactly did happen to WX during those 16 years???? After all, he died and "reincarnated" in the Mo guy body with the incantation or he was "dormant" or something??? What does the novel say?

And do check my fav to tell me if you like it!!! I'm finishing LZ version of it too! :blush:

11 hours ago, PaulaL said:

Hi everyone! So I was rewatching the whole thing because I'm already with withdrawal symptoms!!! But I had a very very silly doubt some of you may think: what exactly did happen to WX during those 16 years???? After all, he died and "reincarnated" in the Mo guy body with the incantation or he was "dormant" or something??? What does the novel say?

And do check my fav to tell me if you like it!!! I'm finishing LZ version of it too! :blush:

I kinda wondered about that too. After all the main sects tried to summon back his soul with no success and Lan Zhan played his song of inquiry with no response from WY in all those years too 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I think it’s mentioned somewhere in the book the Lan family name does not mean blue. It’s half the word for temple 伽蓝. The original patriarch of the Lan family was a monk who met the love of his life in Gusu, so he left his life as a monk and founded the Lan Sect. But because he used to be a monk, he made up 3000 family rules. Although they are now one of the four largest Sects their family banquets are more somber than funerals and the food is really bland.

The headband everyone in the Lan family wears is supposed to represent self restraint and is taken off only in the presence of their destined person. There’s a bit where Lan Zhan used his headband when he was drunk to tie up Wei Wuxian, to the shock of the younger disciples. They are surprised Wei wuxian doesn’t know the meaning of their family headband, he always thought it was for decoration or something...Wei Wuxian tried to ask Lan Zhan if he loved anyone when he was drunk, when he asked “What about this” while holding Lan Zhan’s sword and pointing at this face,Lan Zhan said “Mine”. Wei Wuxian thought he was talking about the sword (ha ha)

A3-E00598-5-C93-4318-978-F-3-AEA55-B5-C9

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 7:04 PM, gaia2 said:

I kinda wondered about that too. After all the main sects tried to summon back his soul with no success and Lan Zhan played his song of inquiry with no response from WY in all those years too 

As far as I can tell from the novel, he was just a wandering soul, which was mentioned in 2nd chapter of the novel.

Here's my slight theory, with heavy spoilers for novel/drama:

Perhaps Nie Huaisang initially found Wei Wuxian's soul first and just kept it until the "time was right". (Likely using one of those bags like how Xue Yang kept Xiao XingChen's soul fragments.)

I don't think Nie Huaisang initially suspected Meng Yao of killing his brother for awhile, so maybe Nie Huaisang kept Wei Wuxian's soul to just learn the dark arts, as during their youth, Nie Huaisang seemed to display interest in learning "unorthodoxy" from Wei Wuxian. Huaisang even mentions in the during/after the saber tomb thing about how cultivating with the saber tended to result in an irritable temper and higher chance of cultivation deviation death. So he didn't want to follow in his family's footsteps.

Likely a few years after Wuxian's death, Huaisang probably figured things out and started planning. As Huaisang often visited the Jin sect, he likely met Mo Xianyu many times and saw the boy as an opportunity to set things into motion.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:04 AM, gaia2 said:

This was never mentioned in the novel, we only get tiny hints of what happened when he was dead, like how he knew that he never got any offerings and claimed to be the most peaceful lost soul ever, and that he "was quite well being dead". 

Since he has such terrible memory and never seems to worry about not remembering things I have the suspicion that he doesn't really remember much at all. He lost control of his vengeful ghosts and zombies and got eaten alive right? After he lost everything and everybody. My theory is that he was like Xiao Xingchen and his soul was weak and half dissipating because he lost the will to exist, but after a while recovered somewhat, maybe not long before he was summoned by Mo Xuanyu, which is why he barely remembers anything.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:30 AM, gaia2 said:

Yah the side stories are happy and hilarious. There’s an instance where WY refers to Lan Qiren as the farmer who has had his prized cabbage(LZ) dug up by a pig :)

..... then later when asked where he’s going and what work he has to do, WY replies “nibble my cabbage” :D 

There are two Chinese sayings meaning a good person got married or together with a terrible person, one is "a beautiful flower got stuck on a pile of dung" and the other is "all the good cabbages have been dug up by pigs", obviously wwx wouldn't refer to himself as a pile of dung so pig it is XD But on weibo they say "whether you believe it or not in this case the cabbage dug up the pig" lol

Also I really disagree with WWX being responsible for the death of JC's parents or for Jiang Yanli. He did annoy Wen Chao which probably hastened the conflict of the Wen and the Jiang but it's not like he did anything to especially provoke them, Wen Chao just hated him for being stronger than and not afraid of him. When Wang Lingjiao went to the Lotus pier demanding WWX being punished Madam Yu was not really against it, what angered her most was Wang's attitude and the info that they wanted to use Lotus pier for their own purposes, disrespecting her and her family. Her having her temperament just exploded on Wang Lingjiao and her servants which escalated the fight more than anything WWX had done before. We also have to ask ourselves if somebody wants to hurt somebody else because they are evil and jealous of that person, whose fault is it really? As for Jiang Yanli, she died protecting WWX because she had always loved him as her own brother, she was almost like a mother to him. You can't say it was WWX's fault that she died. If a mother dies saving her child is it the child's fault that she died?

I will concede that WWX killed Jin Zixuan, it was an accident but he did it. Jin Ling has all the right in the world to resent him for it, but I don't think he does anymore, because he got to like WWX before he realized who he was and it's not unrealistic to be biased in his favour. He knew that WWX was provoked by uncle Jin Zixun for no good reason and also had other stuff to worry about. I fell sorry for JL because in the end every tragedy in his life seemed to somehow have been caused by his own family and he is only left with JC and WWX as elders to help and guide him. The whole thing must be so confusing for him, his granddad was a terrible person and also his uncle Jin Zixuan was a douchebag, his uncle Jin Guangyao was the mastermind behind all kinds of evil doings and now his uncle Wei Xuxian who kind of caused the death of both this parents when he was still a baby is living inside the body of his other uncle Mo Xuanyu and his uncle Jiang Cheng is always threatening to break his legs. Poor kid.

• Like 2