[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

On 8/16/2019 at 5:47 AM, Addicted2 said:

Ah! thanks for the explanation. I have not come to that part in the novel yet. 

I think i need to correct the explanation given by @linhlinh111

In the drama/live action, WX does take on MXY's body which has been clearly called out and confirmed time and again

(1. Initial episodes when WX wonders and is happy to realize that no one saw MXY's face  2. JL gives backstory to it saying that people think his face was scarred so he wore mask 3. WX telling LZ that this new body is weak 4. This new body doesn't have wen mark etc)

What happened in live drama though is.. that while WX inherited MXY's body, but face morphed to show his own (however there is a difference.. Life 1 - he had a mole , life 2 - he doesn't have the mole under his lips ) 

:P

On 8/16/2019 at 3:14 AM, gaia2 said:

Both leads were dubbed.

Saw online Interview where Wang Yibo also said he was asked if he wanted to voice his character LZ but he declined as he wasn't confident. Xiaozhan (WY) was also at the same interview and asked him "really?" so guess he wasn't offered that same option :D

Yibo's voice actually suits LZ's character .. is deep and mature and soothing.. he could have done that..

XZ's i think it is good they dubbed it.. voice actor did fabulous

On 8/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, Addicted2 said:

As far as I know, it is not true the JC lost his core while trying to save WWX.  I am not sure about the novel as I have not come to that part yet but in the drama, JC lost his core because he was stupid and irrational, going back to the house and got caught there.  Because of his stupidity, WWX promised his sister to bring him back safely and took the risk to go back to their house.  He was lucky that he met Wen Ning there and he helped him rescue JC.  Since having a golden core to JC is a big deal, WWX ended up giving up his own golden core to him.  He even warned him to be careful in the future as no one would be able to help in 'get back' his core again.

WHAT????

where did you even get this idea from.. you are so wrong..

neither in the novel nor in the drama.. anything that you said is even hinted!!! Don't make up stuff.

In all versions, including original story/novel - JC was not being stupid.. he was trying to save WX who was about to get caught by Wen guards.. and in saving him, JC got caught and ended up losing his core

• Like 1

Did anyone else think there was a very subtle hint of romance between Lan Xichen (Lan Zhan’s brother) and Jin Guangyao? Jin Guangyao admitted that although he killed his father, his brothers (in the novel he had more than two half brothers but had them all killed except Mo Xuanyu who didn’t pose a threat to his power) and his wife but he had no intention of harming Lan Xichen. 

Jin Guangyao knowingly married his half sister because he needed the support of her father to secure power within the Jin family(her mother told him she was assaulted by his father)He had a child with her because they had a wedding night before the wedding. After the wedding, he didn’t touch her, but needed to get rid of the child because he feared he was mentally handicapped or something.Once everyone found out there was something wrong,they would start gossiping that it was of his lowly bloodline (his mother was a courtesan). He killed his own child and blamed it on someone who opposed him so that he would have an excuse to kill that person. Once his wife found out about what really happened to her child,their relationship as half brother and sister and how his father really died he had her killed too, but made it look like suicide. 

Lan Xichen was devastated that had  taken the word if Nie Huaisang about Jin Guangyao doing something behind his back and dealt the fatal blow to his long time friend. In the book, after his death, Jin Guangyao was buried in the same coffin as Nie Mingjue who is now a very powerful vengeful zombie. Not even Jin Guangyao’s death could satisfy  zombie Nie Mingjue so they were sealed together in a heavily guarded tomb

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

Did anyone else think there was a very subtle hint of romance between Lan Xichen (Lan Zhan’s brother) and Jin Guangyao? Jin Guangyao admitted that although he killed his father, his brothers (in the novel he had more than two half brothers but had them all killed except Mo Xuanyu who didn’t pose a threat to his power) and his wife but he had no intention of harming Lan Xichen. 

As per author , only WX and LZ are gay but ofcourse it doesn't stop anyone from shipping every other character :P

However, JGY did love his wife.. actually he is very loyal and caring towards everyone who did not judge him when he was young and weak and for his background (e.g. LXC and his wife)

just realized my favorite review channel got another Eng sub video, this time on the topic of how to make BL drama adaptions successful. CQL is of course is the forefront example of how it overcomes a dark past and she also brings up a lot of older adaptions as examples. anyway pretty funny info vid if you want to know about CQL's old rumors and about the current state of BL adaptations

• LOL 1

Found this nice sounding song. It’s from the perspective of both Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji. I’m not a professional translator so please correct if I have made a mistake somewhere.

Wangji is the name if Lan Zhan’s zither as well as his courtesy name. It means forgetting desires of the mortal world.

相对忘机 Facing or Opposite  Wangji

WWX:

年少无所系

In youth I was without burdens

犹记云深掩客衣

Still remembering Cloud Recess has covered guest robes

遍邀亲朋知己

Inviting others to become close friends and soul mates everywhere 

欢酣游此天地

Happily drinking and adventuring in the world

LWJ:

本在九霄栖

I was in a lofty place

何人误入扰清音

Who accidentally entered,disrupting my song?

却恐问君语

Afraid to ask you

是否有深意?

Is there a deeper meaning?

WWX

陈情一曲 赠至交死敌 旧事莫再提

One song of Chen Qing for my close friends and mortal enemies 

Do not mention past matters

若春风埋骨 可有人以清歌相祭?

If the spring wind buries these bones

Will anyone play a song in tribute?

LWJ

怕无归期 怕空欢喜 怕来者不是你

Afraid  you will not return, afraid this happiness is empty, afraid the person coming is not you.

问灵一十三载 相思凭谁寄

Playing the song of Soul Inquiry for thirteen years

This heartache who can I entrust to?

WWX:

身后无所惜

Leaving behind regrets

唯记惊鸿见琉璃

Only remembering a deep impression of meeting pale glass (referring to LWJ eyes)

无意翻覆云雨

Unintentionally going through great changes with you

Or  Unintentionally doing the deed with you

但求相濡相依

Only hoping to share resources and lean on each other

LWJ

闻前路多崎

The road ahead is perilous

遗君炽诚终如一

Leaving you this passionate sincerity like from the beginning 

乘风同归去

Riding the wind,I have returned

举杯共甘醴

Lifting a cup of sweet wine together 

WWX

陈情一曲 赠至交死敌 旧事莫再提

One song of Chen Qing for my close friends and  mortal enemies 

Do not mention past matters

若春风埋骨 可有人以清歌相祭?

If the spring wind buries these bones

Will anyone play a song in tribute?

LWJ

怕无归期 怕空欢喜 怕来者不是你

Afraid  you will not return, afraid this happiness is empty, afraid the person coming is not you.

问灵一十三载 相思凭谁寄

Playing the song of Soul Inquiry for thirteen years

This heartache who can I entrust to?

WWX

幸山水迢递 名姓更替 终辗转相遇

Fortunately the road is far ahead, changing names,finally passing though difficulties meeting you again.

Together:

纵为天下所弃 亦有人甘之如饴

Never has the world discarded me, now that there is someone willing to stay by my side

澹然相对可忘机 锦瑟当须配长笛

Calmly facing Wangji, this beautiful zither accompanies the flute

共坐朝暮 而后晓 家山是你

Staying together every morning and evening, another day has dawned, you are my family and my mountain/world.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/17/2019 at 12:15 PM, shuwei said:

I have said WYB's acting got better as the episodes increase, but ngl he is pretty bad during the entire sequence from the snowy night at Cloud Recesses until Burial Mound seige. he looks completely zonked out like he can barely keep his eyes open lol. it's super obvious that he filmed these scenes early on and out of order, and it's jarring to be reminded of his not-so-great-LWJ again. I guess it's fine since it's not like those scenes require a lot from LWJ, but and it's super weird bc it's sandwiched by him delivering some of the best LWJ scenes at the Koi Tower escape before and the Lotus Pier reveal after

I think those were the few shot in the beginning stage. In one of the interview, XZ said there were days they have to shot "16 years before"  in the day and 16 years later " in the night.  I guess it is still hard for him to adjust himself for that. I could be wrong hahhaha.. 

I’ve been binging interviews and 

people confirmed to have auditioned for Xue Yang:

Nie Huaisang’s actor

Jin Ling’s actor

Xiao Xingchen’s actor

Lan Jingyi’s actor

people wanting to play Xue Yang:

Xiao Zhan

Wang Yibo

Jiang Cheng’s actor

Song Lan’s actor

these guys are OBSESSED lol

• LOL 1

Hi, everyone! So, I only got the last two episodes to watch subbed (though I already watched them anyway!) and I fell the rhythm to these last episodes is not so fast and exciting and some of the previous, but well... But I have one final question: for many times, WX kept asking LZ how did he recognized him with the mask on and knew he was WX and LZ never told him. I don't know if the answer is in the last two episodes but, if it isn't and I missed it, can someone tell me the answer? Because I haven't figure it out myself, lol! I'm also finishing a fan made video about WX and I will post it here after for you to make your considerations, ok?

bye bye and love from Portugal, where it's very very hot!!!!

:blush::grin::heart:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulaL said:

Hi, everyone! So, I only got the last two episodes to watch subbed (though I already watched them anyway!) and I fell the rhythm to these last episodes is not so fast and exciting and some of the previous, but well... But I have one final question: for many times, WX kept asking LZ how did he recognized him with the mask on and knew he was WX and LZ never told him. I don't know if the answer is in the last two episodes but, if it isn't and I missed it, can someone tell me the answer? Because I haven't figure it out myself, lol! I'm also finishing a fan made video about WX and I will post it here after for you to make your considerations, ok?

bye bye and love from Portugal, where it's very very hot!!!!

:blush::grin::heart:

If I remember it right its on eps 49? Before they go to Burial mound

EDIT

Sorry its eps 43 :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

Lan zhan found out because the song that Wei ying played to calm Wen ning is the song that Lan zhan composed himself and sang to Wei ying inside the cave on eps 14?. Lan zhan named the song "WangXian" :heart: 

This is so funny LOL

2954hu22x9py3sqgwu2q72rmn.jpg

Edited by Sisca_TVXQ
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

If I remember it right its on eps 49? Before they go to Burial mound

EDIT

Sorry its eps 43 :sweatingbullets:

Oh! I remember that scene but I didn't understand it was because of the song! Thank you much!!!

Found another song that I liked. It’s called 問靈  which means “Song of Soul Inquiry”. It seems to be from Lan Zhan’s perspective. Poor Lan Zhan has been playing the Song of Soul Inquiry for 13 years (or 16 in the case of the drama) hoping to contact Wei Wuxian...

Here’s another video of the same song,but alas no English subs on this one

• Love 1

15 hours ago, shuwei said:

I’ve been binging interviews and 

people confirmed to have auditioned for Xue Yang:

Nie Huaisang’s actor

Jin Ling’s actor

Xiao Xingchen’s actor

Lan Jingyi’s actor

people wanting to play Xue Yang:

Xiao Zhan

Wang Yibo

Jiang Cheng’s actor

Song Lan’s actor

these guys are OBSESSED lol

The scenes where Xiao Xingchen's actor played Xue Yang was actually pretty good, better than Xue Yang's actual actor imo. 

just finished watching the last episode and man am I conflicted about the ending. 

one question tho, when LWJ was walking away and though to himself --> WWX "when we see each other next time, can you think of a name for this song" LWJ "I already knows the name of the song".  Sooooo my question is what is the name of the song (in chinese please). Sorry I'm one of those ppl that ff when watching shows so I guessed I missed it at some point?? please lmk! 

14 minutes ago, sjolivia said:

just finished watching the last episode and man am I conflicted about the ending. 

one question tho, when LWJ was walking away and though to himself --> WWX "when we see each other next time, can you think of a name for this song" LWJ "I already knows the name of the song".  Sooooo my question is what is the name of the song (in chinese please). Sorry I'm one of those ppl that ff when watching shows so I guessed I missed it at some point?? please lmk! 

At eps 14 right before Wei ying fainted you could clearly see Lan zhan said "WangXian"

42 minutes ago, sjolivia said:

Wang Xian ( Lan "Wang" Ji + Wei Wu "Xian")

I have been lurking on this site all along and loving both the comments and the show; I came out to ask one question: in ep 46/47 where Lan Zhan gives Wei Ying a spell to help save Wen Ning (in Yunping City), where did he get that from? Did he make it himself?

Just finished it and I loved it so much. One of the best endings I've ever seen. When Lan Zhan called Wei Ying my heart stopped beating for five seconds. Like wow, the impact. I'm just so in love with the characters that the not so great technical aspects and the meh fight choreography could not put a damper on the story.

I have to say, the director made some great choices in shooting some scenes especially the last scene in the series. It was so poetic and beautiful. The cast is amazing and really made me feel for all the characters. The only one who remained unlikable to me was Jin Zixun. I even felt a bit of pity for Wen Chao.

I really finished all the episodes without even skipping one scene. That's how addictive it was. Now time for a rewatch.

• Like 2