[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

1 hour ago, shuwei said:

I cried a lot for the jindan reveal scene...everyone did so good in that scene, especially LWJ...I thought it was just gonna be a single tear scene but he cried so much and looked so beautiful doing it too :dissapointed_relieved: 

The original novel explains that a Jiang Chen was so upset because his achievements were technically not his own. His achievements needed Wei Wuxians sacrifice. Wu Wuxian was willing to give up his jin dan because he felt that he owed the Jiang family for raising him and without them he wouldn’t get the chance to cultivate a Jin Dan in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

I loved the bit where Lan Sizhui told Wen Ning that Lan Zhan raised him along side his rabbits.The rabbits were left to Lan Zhan by Wei Wuxian and Lan Sizhui (previously Wen Yuan) was sort of his adopted son. It makes sense that Lan Zhan would want to keep the rabbits given to him by Wei Wuxian and his adopted son together in the same place.

OMG Same here. I am thankful to the director Chen to include this little part. This is one of the thing that LWJ did during that 13 years without WWX. At first, LWJ wanted to put ah Yuan in the ground like WWX did to ah yuan when he was little  "growing carrot" but he didnt. LWJ just put him together with the rabbits... 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/12/2019 at 2:08 AM, epinklyn said:

Just finished the raw eps, have to rewatch the engsub ones. I think i missed so many things, but i just cant help to ask these, who is the guy who pay gold to the story teller to tell about Yiling Patriach? he is also the one who sneaked in ep 2 when WWX playing flute and came Wen Ning. My guess is Nie HuaiSang, but dont know what the purpose? CMIIW, thank u!

NIE HUAI SANG

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, epinklyn said:

Thx, do you know why?

He wanted to revenge for his brother, Nie Ming Jue. So he created such a huge plot to reveal all the bad things that Jin Guang Yao did in the past. 

• Thanks 1

Some of the English subs in the official MV kind of don’t make sense, so here’s my version. The lyrics seem of imply that Wen Ning loved Wei Wuxian and didn’t just stay by his side out of gratitude .

赤子

擦肩的人 路过的城 在心里生根

My closest comrade,who has traveled with me through cities,in my heart something has taken root

(擦肩的人 means person/people close enough to rub shoulders with)

生在淤泥 身陷囹圄 仍不忘原本

Born in mud yet unaffected by it, not forgetting his origins

几多恩怨 几多离分 乱世里浮沉

How many grievances, how many partings in this chaotic world full of triumphs and downfalls?

在患难旅程 写下无悔的爱恨

Through adversity on our journey, writing of love and hate without regrets

不怕和世界 对立成敌人

Unafraid of becoming enemies with the entire world

只要你 眼神首肯

Only if your eyes allow it

心如赤子单纯

My heart is pure and innocent like a newborn 

不染半点灰尘

Not affected by  half a grain of dust (matters of the mortal world)

穿过所有纷争

Through all conflicts

在你的身侧永恒

Forever staying by your side

心如赤子天真

My heart is naive like a new born

哪怕一身修罗印痕

Unafraid of my body’s Demonic mark

用残生 为你奋不顾身

Using what’s left of my life to fight for you,  unconcerned about myself

一身白衣 一如少年 有谁能佐证

Clothed in white like a youth, who can confirm?

无边回忆 结了蛛网 草木巳深深

Endless memories woven like cobwebs,the vegetation has grown abundantly 

多少风雪 多少故人 多少次认真

How many blizzards, how many old friends, how many times in earnest

在患难旅程 写下无悔的爱恨

Through adversity on our journey, writing of love and hate without regrets

不怕和世界 对立成敌人

Unafraid of becoming enemies with the entire world

只要你 眼神首肯

Only if your eyes allow it

心如赤子单纯

My heart is pure and innocent like a newborn

不染半点灰尘

Not affected by  half a grain of dust (matters of the mortal world)

穿过所有纷争

Through all conflicts

在你的身侧永恒

Forever staying by your side

心如赤子天真

My heart is naive like a new born

哪怕一身修罗印痕

Unafraid of my body’s demonic mark

用残生 为你奋不顾身

Using what’s left of my life to fight for you, unconcerned about myself

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 8:35 PM, frostflower14 said:

Towards the end, it was kind of sad Jiang Chen was unable to say thank you, I’m sorry or even farewell to Wei WuXian even though he probably really wanted to. I guess Wei WuXian realised they were never going to be on speaking terms with each other again, so he left without saying goodbye to either Jiang Chen or Jin Ling.

That annoying brat, Jin Ling didn’t even say sorry over that stabbing incident. He did put his dog on a leash at least, out of respect for Wei Wuxian so I guess he gets a point for that.

to be fair to him, WX is responsible for killing his dad and mom :)

Just finished watch ep 43 - ep 46 and WTH @ Menyao, his wife, and his father situation. :rage: 

Those old leaders are so ungrateful and unapologetic to WWX. After learning that everything is the snake’s doing then ask WWX to use his black magic since only him can stand against Mengyao. LOL at WWX reaction when that old dude said it. He was so done with him.

The core change reveal and LWJ cried! JC is very a jerk. How could he be so mean!! 

You can feel Wangji’s love for WWX during the boat conversation with Wen Ning.

When they were about to boat to Lotus Cove, and Jin Ling was crying and saying about being immature and not having maternal love/care. I cried with him.

4 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

No, he’s not. Wen clan already attacked other clans and would come for Yumeng and Jin. With the Xuanu event or not, they would attack Yumeng. Do you really think they would send an army to Yumeng and make it a Wen base just because WX? They decided to do that before they took the boys and their swords, they took them as hostages. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NataliaMedella said:

No, he’s not. Wen clan already attacked other clans and would come for Yumeng and Jin. With the Xuanu event or not, they would attack Yumeng. Do you really think they would send an army to Yumeng and make it a Wen base just because WX? They decided to do that before they took the boys and their swords, they took them as hostages. 

I think OP mean WX is responsible for Jin Ling’s parent’s death not JC’s.

46 minutes ago, Blue Sky said:

I think OP mean WX is responsible for Jin Ling’s parent’s death not JC’s.

You are right! I mistake with Jiang Cheng. In the novel WX is really responsible. Not in cql world tho, they made him pure as cotton. JGY did all the dirt.

Yeah I think the drama made WWX into too much of a Gary Stu. And a bit too preachy at times. Novel WWX was a true anti-hero and more complex and unique. I honestly don’t think I would like drama WWX as much except for the actor being so charismatic. Is that another censorship thing? That the main character can’t be too grey and doing morally wrong stuff?

As for the ending I don’t mind it but not sure why they had to do that separation/open to interpretation bit. They could’ve just had the 2 “buddies” travel together and going on adventures to get past the censorship. What’s gay about that? Because that’s basically what happens in the novel minus all the makeout/married life aspect. It’s the 2 of them splitting their time between going on adventures and life at Gusu.

@lizax1 It's not about censorship but I think the change is to make it more coherent. Because if WWX is really responsible for Jin Ling's parents death then the relationship between them (and also with Jiang Chen) can never be mended. In the novel they just kinda forget and be casual to each other again but it should have been very unlikely. Jin Guang Yao has to die anyway so just blame him instead.

I also felt sorry for Jiang Chen bc now everyone knows WWX gave him the core but no one would know he lost it trying to save WWX.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am a regular reader of Chinese BL novels and have read several of Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's novels including this one and also Tian Guan Si Fu (rumored to be made into drama soon). Her novels follow a typical style of multiple flashbacks, which is distracting sometimes, so I love it when The Untamed decided to go for a more linear timeline. Although I really love her stories, I almost couldn't go back to read them the second time, cuz they are so heartbreaking. Each and every named character is a tragedy. From heroes to villains, no one seems to be blessed with luck. So when the villains are defeated, the readers don't feel any sense of satisfaction, just sadness. Many characters you love end up dead or in misery, and if they get an okay ending they carry with them massive wounds and scars. Only the main cp get a happy ending, but after all the unbearable pain and losses in their life, the final HE tastes bitter like dark chocolate.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, lizax1 said:

Yeah I think the drama made WWX into too much of a Gary Stu. And a bit too preachy at times. Novel WWX was a true anti-hero and more complex and unique. I honestly don’t think I would like drama WWX as much except for the actor being so charismatic. Is that another censorship thing? That the main character can’t be too grey and doing morally wrong stuff?

I know everyone thinks it’s a myth but there really is a loooong list of rules from SARFT for television dramas. Here are some “taboos” that pertains to CQL:

- Sets a negative character as a main character, or exaggerates the positive sides of a reactionary, backwards, evil, or illegal [acting] person, society, or organization.

- Promotes spirits, reincarnation, witchcraft and other feudal superstitious thinking

- Blurs the value judgement between truth and falsehood, good and evil, beauty and ugliness, or confuses the basic boundaries between justice and injustice

- Expresses or displays abnormal sexual relations or sexual behavior, such as incest, homosexuality, perversion, sexual assault, sexual abuse, and sexual violence.

Online dramas will have the same restrictions, and staff censors will supervise online content around the clock

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

21 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Wei Wuxian was doing what he thought was the right thing to do and inadvertently provoked the Wen clan. The Wen clan we’re going to attack sooner or later since they had already attacked Cloud Recesses and attempted to burn it to the ground. 

• Like 1

hi guys!

So i was watching the subbed episode 43 where LZ's brother tells WX about their mother's story and I have a question: what is the story about their mother? she didn't like their father? he forced her to marriage? they were abandoned? I really didn't get the importance of telling that story other than to explain why LZ has the whip scars on his back first...

do enlighten me!

:grin:

1 hour ago, PaulaL said:

hi guys!

So i was watching the subbed episode 43 where LZ's brother tells WX about their mother's story and I have a question: what is the story about their mother? she didn't like their father? he forced her to marriage? they were abandoned? I really didn't get the importance of telling that story other than to explain why LZ has the whip scars on his back first...

do enlighten me!

:grin:

Their mother killed someone so their father locked her to protect her, just like LZ said to LXC that he want to bring WY back to gusu and hide him there (to protect him like his mother)

• Love 1