Quantcast
Jump to content
RPM

[ MAINLAND CHINESE DRAMA 2019 ] The Untamed 陈情令

Recommended Posts

I can tell the drama is trying hard to live up to the expectations of the fans but I still like the anime better (and ofc the book). The vibe and the excitement I feel from the novel and anime is far more compelling. Especially in the first episode when Wei Wu Xian commands the zombies to wake up to his orders.  I guess this is one of the inevitable flaws with bringing about a 2D fiction to a 3d reality, some things just seem so cheesy and awkward in the real life depiction. The only complaint I have specifically dedicated to The Untamed is their clothing; the cutting for the bridging part at the armpits is hideous! Those long, draggy sleeve is a vital essence of historical cdramas! How can they make it so UGLY?? This is my very bias opinion. 

 

Here are the stills for EP 1~8 (total of 9photos)

006sIYfQly1g4gyag0sxbj32bc1jkx6r.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gyah40m3j32bc1jke83.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gya62mthj32bc1jkx6r.jpg

Spoiler

006sIYfQly1g4gyad5rkoj32bc1jk7wj.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gyaefzjwj32bc1jk7wk.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gyaa4ndpj32bc1jkkjn.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gya8vhkoj32bc1jke84.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gyabskl9j32bc1f0x6t.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gya7eo0yj32bc1l4hdv.jpg

 

 

Tecent promotion posters

006sIYfQly1g4gnz2d5yzj32zf1jk4qu.jpg

Spoiler

006sIYfQly1g4gmxzty9kj30u01hckjr.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gmxydf8gj30u01hcqvb.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gmxyk7x5j30u01hcb2g.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gmxwuerfj30u01hcx6v.jpg006sIYfQly1g4gmxy9k33j30u01hcqvb.jpg

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally they're showing it! I read the  awesome manhua and watch anime.  I love 'em both so I reallyt  hope this drama will have the same awesomeness..  Master of Demonic cultivation. Hearts to lang Wangi Wei Wuxian. I'm gonna wait till 6 episodes have been sub before I watch though so at least it's continuous.  

 

OT: After this.. I hope we can also have drama version of 'Here You Are' :D

 

sc ctto

D-RgUiBUcAEoy19.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a change in the broadcast date in response to the high demand. The drama will now air from Mon TO Wed 2 episodes each. That's a total of 6episode per week, the vips are still 4 episodes ahead. So the new finale date is Aug 14th for the VIPS and non-Vips on Aug 20th. 

9a789c84ly1g4iy9owy7ij20u016tb2j.jpg

 

 

Full schedule from July to August.               // Today's Episode (9~10).

9a789c84ly1g4iy9pzilhj20rs27zkjl.jpg 006sIYfQly1g4khrmltyzj31jk668b2f.jpg

The Xuanwu turtle is a little smaller than what I would expect. It's not very threatening. 

 

tumblr_ptzg599OwM1u1iqoao1_500h.jpg

Relationship Chart

  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DontEatMyKimchi said:

There's a change in the broadcast date in response to the high demand. The drama will now air from Mon TO Wed 2 episodes each. That's a total of 6episode per week, the vips are still 4 episodes ahead. So the new finale date is Aug 14th for the VIPS and non-Vips on Aug 20th. 

That's wonderful new... I was thinking I have to settle for 4 episodes per week which I found to be pretty hard to bear but now there is 6, much better lol 

 

This drama is much better than expected...at first I just check it out and don't have a very high expectation for it but surprisingly the acting is decent, the costume is pretty nice, characters are mostly fitting, and some of the storyline are still intact. A lot of people are complaining the increase in screen time for Wen Qing but it wasn't that bad since this is a 50 episodes drama so they need to add more scenes to other characters. I am fine as long as they didn't add her to any relationship with our 2 main leads....Looks like Jiang Cheng are the one who have feelings for her and that's fine since I know he has no relationship in the novel/anime... It will be interesting to see how it plays out especially knowing what will happen to their clans later on... I don't know why I always have a soft spot for Jiang Cheng even though he is close to annoying sometime but I can't even dislike him because of his conflicted feelings for Wei Wu Xian. I think WWX's actor took me by surprise the most since he really make WWX charming and mischief. As for  Lan Wang Ji, I was not impressed at first but he is started to grow on me as he started to develop feeling...hmmm...his friendship with WWX... I was not expecting any BL but am surprise by all the hints here and there...I still don't feel the chemistry like in Guardian but I do like that they are developing something not as basic as friendship but something a little more but not over the top explicit about it... I am really enjoying it so far...and can overlook some of the bad CG...lol

  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

I’m so mad right now. Did you guy see what they did in Ep 9?! Wen Qing played the flute and controlled the zombies...this was supposed to be WWX’s thing but now suddenly anyone has his ability? What’s the whole point of the founder of demonic cultivation then? I like this adaptation because I think Xiao Zhan plays WWX extremely well and the chemistry between the leads is great, however the changes are too much to the point where it’s disrespectful to the original work. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:
  Hide contents

I’m so mad right now. Did you guy see what they did in Ep 9?! Wen Qing played the flute and controlled the zombies...this was supposed to be WWX’s thing but now suddenly anyone has his ability? What’s the whole point of the founder of demonic cultivation then? I like this adaptation because I think Xiao Zhan plays WWX extremely well and the chemistry between the leads is great, however the changes are too much to the point where it’s disrespectful to the original work. 

 

 

 

Spoiler

Wow that sucks so they pretty much removed his identity, i think ill still watch for Xiao Zhan.

 

I wonder what they will do for WWX now to make him special. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This drama is getting better and better... Starting from when WWX and JC returning to their clan and then all the disciples being forced to go to Wen as hostage. I am starting to feel the tense and despair in the air like I know what is coming and afraid for our characters behalf but still know it is going to happen...:( 

 

Xiao Zhan is really doing a great job in portraying WWX and I can't help but love the way he stands out when he is standing next to all the other disciples and he gave off this rebellious vibe in a joking matter...I feel so bad for him after being locked up all night with his worst nightmare to come back and pretend everything was ok.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Official update 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to be honest...when I first started this drama I have no expectation of watching it for the relationship between the 2 male leads, you know with the sensitive matter of the country...I was solely going in for the story and the characters based on watching the anime and knowing most of the story of the novel (I am a bit afraid to read the novel because I feel it will be very depressing) BUT the scene in the cave really rise my hope up, I didn't realize the production would go so far in pretty much bringing the novel very close to alive in the latest episodes...and when WWX ask do you like Mianmian...I literally shout at my screen..."No! Silly, he likes you!!!" lol

 

Loving this drama so far...But need to prepare myself to whats to come next week *sigh*

 

 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the drama on my radar since i first heard stuff about it but started it yesterday,guess i let it go to gather more episodes...Did not read the original novel nor seen the anime so i'm going into it with no info whatsoever so i was curious if some of more well informed users here could help me with some spoiler or info...

Quite curious if they explain why the young Mo looks the same as Wei Wu Xian,is there some logic behind it or it's just random convenient plot device? Was the old man the spirit of the young Mo or is he other person(he looks old)...How did he revive him actually? I believe it needs imense power to summon back a soul into a body and not be possesing it(i see he did give his own sol but still) and to be good at it,not like anyone could be able...

Based on the small clues i saw of the man that hired the Storyteller i actually believed it was Qinghe Nie Sect,the boy with the fan Wei Wu Xian made friends with in ep 3(what is his name,Viki has one Mydramalist another)...That man,16 years later also had the fan,so is he also somehow connected to reviving him because otherwise it's strange the timing...My heart already bleeds for poor Wen Ning,he is such a innocent boy born in the wrong family that didn't deserve to die...I must say that the most i'm anticipating is the journey of Wei Wu Xian and how he becomes the Founder of Yiling,really wanna know how he descovers the ways to use the flut for his controlling ghouls and how did that Yin Tiger Seal get to become his(that to me looks like a cameleon if it is translated right)...Now i'm quite curious if 50 episodes are actually enough to cover the story from the past and present and i actually started believing it might not be enough...

 

Really hope Viki will be able to sub it 100% because i truly don't wanna miss details or mistranslations of the dialogues...Hope people will not sleep on it just because it doesn't have romance...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miky88 said:

Had the drama on my radar since i first heard stuff about it but started it yesterday,guess i let it go to gather more episodes...Did not read the original novel nor seen the anime so i'm going into it with no info whatsoever so i was curious if some of more well informed users here could help me with some spoiler or info...

Quite curious if they explain why the young Mo looks the same as Wei Wu Xian,is there some logic behind it or it's just random convenient plot device? Was the old man the spirit of the young Mo or is he other person(he looks old)...How did he revive him actually? I believe it needs imense power to summon back a soul into a body and not be possesing it(i see he did give his own sol but still) and to be good at it,not like anyone could be able...

Based on the small clues i saw of the man that hired the Storyteller i actually believed it was Qinghe Nie Sect,the boy with the fan Wei Wu Xian made friends with in ep 3(what is his name,Viki has one Mydramalist another)...That man,16 years later also had the fan,so is he also somehow connected to reviving him because otherwise it's strange the timing...My heart already bleeds for poor Wen Ning,he is such a innocent boy born in the wrong family that didn't deserve to die...I must say that the most i'm anticipating is the journey of Wei Wu Xian and how he becomes the Founder of Yiling,really wanna know how he descovers the ways to use the flut for his controlling ghouls and how did that Yin Tiger Seal get to become his(that to me looks like a cameleon if it is translated right)...Now i'm quite curious if 50 episodes are actually enough to cover the story from the past and present and i actually started believing it might not be enough...

 

Really hope Viki will be able to sub it 100% because i truly don't wanna miss details or mistranslations of the dialogues...Hope people will not sleep on it just because it doesn't have romance...

 

It does not have the obvious romance but still has a romance of some kind between the male leads.. its like Guardian. 

 

Regarding why he looks the same its the same for the anime as well i like it though and i think it helps and makes people less confused as it switches to past and present. 

 

Also this is Tencent that is always the possibility of season two if this first season gets to air without issues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Miky88 said:

Quite curious if they explain why the young Mo looks the same as Wei Wu Xian,is there some logic behind it or it's just random convenient plot device?

 

I agree with @ForgottenSoulx it is less confusing and I think it is convenient plot device. 

 

6 hours ago, Miky88 said:

Was the old man the spirit of the young Mo or is he other person(he looks old)...How did he revive him actually? I believe it needs imense power to summon back a soul into a body and not be possesing it(i see he did give his own sol but still) and to be good at it,not like anyone could be able...

Based on the small clues i saw of the man that hired the Storyteller i actually believed it was Qinghe Nie Sect,the boy with the fan Wei Wu Xian made friends with in ep 3(what is his name,Viki has one Mydramalist another)...That man,16 years later also had the fan,so is he also somehow connected to reviving him because otherwise it's strange the timing...

 

I feel the drama didn't put too much details on the reviving business that may cause some confusion to ppl who are new to this storyline... Based on the anime, if I recall correctly, Mo Xuan Yu (The boy who sacrifice his soul to summon WWX to help him exact revenge) is an illegitimate son of the Jin clan (the gold/yellow color clan) who is rejected by them and live under the roof of his mother's side of the family where his cousin and his aunt is constantly abusing him, making his life very miserable to the point of killing himself to exact revenge) He learned this dark magic and summon/revive the legendary WWX to help him. The three scars on his arm represented the number of people WWX needs to kill/destroy in order to repay him and the scar will heal once he completed it. In the drama I think there was one more person left (the other two I assume is the cousin and the aunt who was killed by the hand demon/spirit)

 

Spoiler alert

Spoiler

You are correct (if the drama follows the novel) it was Nie Huaisang and he plays a huge part in WWX revival because he was the one who put the idea in Mo Xuan Yu's mind to revive WWX and introduced him to the dark magic. I didn't read this part of the novel but from the bit and pieces of description about his character, he is describe as someone who you ask him a question, he always say "I don't know" meaning he is always playing dumb but he is the mastermind behind it. The reason have to do with his brother who was brutally murdered (dissected) I believe the hand demon/spirit is his brother? and Nie Huaisang plan this whole thing to use WWX and LWJ to help him uncover the true culprit...I remember reading about something like that... but good eyes...It took me awhile to recall who is the guy with the fan even though I know so many spoilers lol  

 

6 hours ago, Miky88 said:

I must say that the most i'm anticipating is the journey of Wei Wu Xian and how he becomes the Founder of Yiling,really wanna know how he descovers the ways to use the flut for his controlling ghouls and how did that Yin Tiger Seal get to become his(that to me looks like a cameleon if it is translated right)...Now i'm quite curious if 50 episodes are actually enough to cover the story from the past and present and i actually started believing it might not be enough...

 

I agree...even without the BL aspect of it, the storyline itself is intriguing and going through WWX's journey is motivating enough to watch this drama...hopefully, they won't mess it up...I really hope this is only one season and tell us the entire story because I don't like how they leave us at cliffhanger AND even if they do, they may not film or get the cast back for season 2...so I am crossing my finger because next week, is another climax to the plot and the pace seems fine as of now... but still you never know especially since there is sooooo much going on and so many characters in the past, I am not sure how many room they have on the present...Also I don't recall much spoiler happening in the present (except the development of the 2 main leads...hmmm...relationship) and with that not being able to be translate to screen, maybe they will wrap that up in 2 to 3 episodes? I guess we will just have to wait and see...

 

  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone is having a hard time waiting for next week's update. 

tumblr_pu8jamIlOF1u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_pu8jamIlOF1u1iqoao2_1280.jpg

 

 

On 7/5/2019 at 12:50 PM, Miky88 said:

Had the drama on my radar since i first heard stuff about it but started it yesterday,guess i let it go to gather more episodes...Did not read the original novel nor seen the anime so i'm going into it with no info whatsoever so i was curious if some of more well informed users here could help me with some spoiler or info...

Quite curious if they explain why the young Mo looks the same as Wei Wu Xian,is there some logic behind it or it's just random convenient plot device? Was the old man the spirit of the young Mo or is he other person(he looks old)...How did he revive him actually? I believe it needs imense power to summon back a soul into a body and not be possesing it(i see he did give his own sol but still) and to be good at it,not like anyone could be able...

Based on the small clues i saw of the man that hired the Storyteller i actually believed it was Qinghe Nie Sect,the boy with the fan Wei Wu Xian made friends with in ep 3(what is his name,Viki has one Mydramalist another)...That man,16 years later also had the fan,so is he also somehow connected to reviving him because otherwise it's strange the timing...My heart already bleeds for poor Wen Ning,he is such a innocent boy born in the wrong family that didn't deserve to die...I must say that the most i'm anticipating is the journey of Wei Wu Xian and how he becomes the Founder of Yiling,really wanna know how he descovers the ways to use the flut for his controlling ghouls and how did that Yin Tiger Seal get to become his(that to me looks like a cameleon if it is translated right)...Now i'm quite curious if 50 episodes are actually enough to cover the story from the past and present and i actually started believing it might not be enough...

Spoiler


Regarding WWX's revival, the anime was clearer than the drama but they both had restrictions on how much they can tell. WWX's body was blasted to powder because his dark arts back fired on him. Which was something they all expected, hence why LWJ tried to stop WWX from using those dark energy skills. His soul, on the other was perfectly intact and no one was able to seal it off or destroy it until Mo came along 13 (?) years later. Mo found out about this ancient BODY OFFERING spell in Jin Guang Yao's secret room and I guess he memorized or something. Like @BreezeC said Nie pulled some stings and convinced Mo to offer his body to WWX's soul. So supposedly, WWX should look like Mo as the former's soul is in the latter's body. But for excuse convenience and the real reason of finite budget, the productions scarped that idea of giving him another face. 

 

I agree with the journey of WWX becoming the Founder of Yiling is the highlight of the story. The novel didn't not spend as much time as I would have appreciated.  The anime, to my disappointment, breezed it off. HOW? WHY? That's the most epic part of this entire story! Especially, when the whole anime was extremely well animated! I pray they pick it up in the second season. I am anticipating the drama depiction, but I will not keep my hopes up as  I was not impress by WWX's death in the first episode. Something about it was very anticlimatic. 


 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 7:44 AM, BreezeC said:

I have to be honest...when I first started this drama I have no expectation of watching it for the relationship between the 2 male leads, you know with the sensitive matter of the country...I was solely going in for the story and the characters based on watching the anime and knowing most of the story of the novel (I am a bit afraid to read the novel because I feel it will be very depressing) BUT the scene in the cave really rise my hope up, I didn't realize the production would go so far in pretty much bringing the novel very close to alive in the latest episodes...and when WWX ask do you like Mianmian...I literally shout at my screen..."No! Silly, he likes you!!!" lol

 

Loving this drama so far...But need to prepare myself to whats to come next week *sigh*

 

 

Ahhhhhh same omg *squeal* I'm fangirling so hard right now. I wasn't expecting much romance between their interactions either but with that scene, I think the drama team has pretty much convinced me of their blooming romance~ 

Spoiler

I loved it when WWX pretended to take off his clothes to get WangJi to spit out the blood that he was repressing (their chemistry was really off the charts there) and yes that part when he mentioned MianMian.... When WangJi said since you know the other person'll remember you forever, then don't provoke them if you don't have that kind of intention *sigh* WangJi has it so bad he's obviously referring to himself and not MianMian \(^ 3^)/

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the review in here really helping me with the plot, quite confused in the beginning eps, but now i get it, maybe i will rewatch them while waiting for next eps... 

 

I am so interesting with WWX character, never read the novel nor watch the anime version, i am curious about how he end up dead/suicide/killed at the 1st ep, and also curious what will happen with WN, his zombie makeup was SO GOOD! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...