[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

3 hours ago, Bea said:

they elaborate it in the novel but not much, they didn't in the drama because it would make it more obvious that the guy is in love with wei wuxian. 

yes he did it on purpose one time when he was drunk and depressed. To feel close to wwx i guess or to never forget him? You don't find out what lwj was thinking because the novel is from wwx's point of view so he only finds out about it. 

but in the drama, wwx said in the cave something about how mian mian would never forget him now since he did something for her and he wouldn't either. So even without getting into it, one can guess lan zhan did it to himself for the same reason. 

that is deep^^!!! True love they have for each other.

I rewatched a bit of this today in preparation for getting my long awaited The Untamed character/art book. I am still shocked and amazed at how much they managed to retain in this show. It's not in your face, but you can definitely feel the love both of the leads have for each other. <3

I'm gonna start the novel soon. I glance at some pages, and I was smiling ear-to-ear to read about their intimate time---like kissing. I almost feel like I was invading their privacy lol!! Imagined if we got to see that onscreen!!!!! 

Edit: I read up to CH 16!!! Looks like the drama didn't start like the novel. So little details were cut out from the drama, like that part where WWX drank the Emperor's smile and then replaced it with water omg lol!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the novel^^!!! WWX is so funny in the novel, his antics and teasing of LZ is much more hilarious in the novel with the details of his ways.

All their 

Spoiler

sexy scenes:love:

in the novel was the cherry on top, since it wasn't allow in the drama.

Anyone excited for Fatal Journey? I saw the trailer song, and it looks good. Love the Nie brothers side story. They're one of the great ones in the story.

11 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

I finished the novel^^!!! WWX is so funny in the novel, his antics and teasing of LZ is much more hilarious in the novel with the details of his ways.

All their 

Reveal hidden contents

Anyone excited for Fatal Journey? I saw the trailer song, and it looks good. Love the Nie brothers side story. They're one of the great ones in the story.

Fatal Journey is excellent, much better than Living Dead, that's for sure. I had so many Nie Bros feels

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bea said:

Fatal Journey is excellent, much better than Living Dead, that's for sure. I had so many Nie Bros feels

I watched it^^!! The Nie bros feels is real. It was great to see their childhood backstory. Darn, my memory fails me. I got tricked by Jin Guangyao and the flute. I thought he was sincere in helping Nie Mingjue, but of course he is the devil.

I am so late on this drama....it took me a few tries as I couldn't get past the first 10 chapters...I think starting chapter 15 or so it finally got me hooked.  I still didn't understand some things from this drama though...would anyone know?  Chapter 33 was so heartbreaking...

1.  How did he actually get out of burial mound?  He disappeared 3 months -- dumped there where all the ghost and evil spirit?  How come he didn't die .. and he was able to learn new "wizardry" using the flute made by the sword he found?  I was confused this part...

2.  When he "woke up" after the 16 years when LWJ finally recognized him...LWJ told him that JiangChen went to look for him after he suicide from cliff...but only found "bones" ...they didn't find his body?  or his body quickly disappeared?  Those bones from other people?   Yet JiangChen was able to find his flute and kept it for all those years with him.   

3.  Did those Wen Clan come out by themselves (when he was still laying due to WenQing's medicine) -- the part she went to give in herself and her brother...the remaining 50 or so Wen Clean also came out leaving the little boy .. so they were all killed as well?  I felt so sorry for them and WX as he became the righteous group's target when he tried to save them yet turned to disaster.

4.  I was confused what JinGuangYao digging for and yet he found the head of the older Nie brother and brother sewn back together? That was done by the younger brother right?  But what was he trying to find him first place... and When JinGuangYao almost died having the sword stuck ..he went to back of the temple for what?

5.  I don't remember when Songlan became blind and gave his best friend his eyes...I remember his friend was blind when he was found by WX and WenQing thought cured him of his blindness...did Songlan give him his eyes then and the drama didn't show?

Although the homosexualty was subtle in this drama I can definitely see how the producers tried to imply through details. All the male characters each had another male character they were attracted to.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Lieu said:

I am so late on this drama....it took me a few tries as I couldn't get past the first 10 chapters...I think starting chapter 15 or so it finally got me hooked.  I still didn't understand some things from this drama though...would anyone know?  Chapter 33 was so heartbreaking...

1.  How did he actually get out of burial mound?  He disappeared 3 months -- dumped there where all the ghost and evil spirit?  How come he didn't die .. and he was able to learn new "wizardry" using the flute made by the sword he found?  I was confused this part...

2.  When he "woke up" after the 16 years when LWJ finally recognized him...LWJ told him that JiangChen went to look for him after he suicide from cliff...but only found "bones" ...they didn't find his body?  or his body quickly disappeared?  Those bones from other people?   Yet JiangChen was able to find his flute and kept it for all those years with him.   

3.  Did those Wen Clan come out by themselves (when he was still laying due to WenQing's medicine) -- the part she went to give in herself and her brother...the remaining 50 or so Wen Clean also came out leaving the little boy .. so they were all killed as well?  I felt so sorry for them and WX as he became the righteous group's target when he tried to save them yet turned to disaster.

4.  I was confused what JinGuangYao digging for and yet he found the head of the older Nie brother and brother sewn back together? That was done by the younger brother right?  But what was he trying to find him first place... and When JinGuangYao almost died having the sword stuck ..he went to back of the temple for what?

5.  I don't remember when Songlan became blind and gave his best friend his eyes...I remember his friend was blind when he was found by WX and WenQing thought cured him of his blindness...did Songlan give him his eyes then and the drama didn't show?

Although the homosexualty was subtle in this drama I can definitely see how the producers tried to imply through details. All the male characters each had another male character they were attracted to.  

Thanks!

1.  His inner strength probably, or his desire to get revenge. They never explained why he was one of the lucky ones who came out alive. Somehow, he learned how to harness the resentful energy, and he was already interested in it before so it was a thing of putting the things he knew into practice. but mostly revenge.

2.  They never found his body and no they never explained it. In the novel, he was eaten by his own corpse army but in the drama he threw himself off the cliff. There are theories that his body was stolen or something so nobody knows. Jiang Cheng got his flute and sword but that was all that survived. 

3.  All of the Wen clan were killed except for Wen Yuan. 

4. Yes that was done by Nie Huaisang. He (Jin Guangyao) was looking for his mother's corpse. 

5. Xiao Xingchen gave his eyes to Song Lan to cure him, they didn't show it because the drama cut down a lot of the Yi City Arc. I recommend you read the novel or the manhua since the comic already covered it. 

the only gay couple in canon is Wei Ying and Lan Zhan. You really need to read the novel because otherwise you'll lose a lot of hints from the drama (like the chickens. The three bows). The others are bromance but people still ship them xD

2 hours ago, Lullaby Moon said:

1.  His inner strength probably, or his desire to get revenge. They never explained why he was one of the lucky ones who came out alive. Somehow, he learned how to harness the resentful energy, and he was already interested in it before so it was a thing of putting the things he knew into practice. but mostly revenge.

2.  They never found his body and no they never explained it. In the novel, he was eaten by his own corpse army but in the drama he threw himself off the cliff. There are theories that his body was stolen or something so nobody knows. Jiang Cheng got his flute and sword but that was all that survived. 

3.  All of the Wen clan were killed except for Wen Yuan. 

4. Yes that was done by Nie Huaisang. He (Jin Guangyao) was looking for his mother's corpse. 

5. Xiao Xingchen gave his eyes to Song Lan to cure him, they didn't show it because the drama cut down a lot of the Yi City Arc. I recommend you read the novel or the manhua since the comic already covered it. 

the only gay couple in canon is Wei Ying and Lan Zhan. You really need to read the novel because otherwise you'll lose a lot of hints from the drama (like the chickens. The three bows). The others are bromance but people still ship them xD

Thank you so much for the explanation....

for #2...I thought it was Jin Guangyao that got his sword so they went into the Jin Guanyao chamber where wife was … he had WX's sword?

#3...did the Wen clan come out on their own though from burial ground?  Because for a year the rightoues group didn't go into attack them...

#4 I totally missed that part -- that Jin Guangyao was looking for his mom's corpse....in end he went behind -- was it to die with the corpse or die with Nie Huaisang's brother?

oh and I didn't understand -- why did WenLing suddenly appeared as a zombie with the dead Nie brother sword?  Did the sword control him?

I did see the subtle  hints by reading about them..haha..thanks….I do believe everyone has their right to love who they do...but I tend to like the bromance...I just thought drama did very well to make the homosexuality more subtle with those hints...because no way would the sexual content of the novel be able pass censhorship….is it me that I feel it was actually LanZhan who "fell in love" first...he got angry when he thought WX saved the girl from being burned on face....

there was a lot of nice parallels...like how lanzhan told his older brother he wanted to bring WX back to his old home where he grew up to "lock him up"...just like how his father did that to the mother...

2 hours ago, El Lieu said:

Thank you so much for the explanation....

for #2...I thought it was Jin Guangyao that got his sword so they went into the Jin Guanyao chamber where wife was … he had WX's sword?

#3...did the Wen clan come out on their own though from burial ground?  Because for a year the rightoues group didn't go into attack them...

#4 I totally missed that part -- that Jin Guangyao was looking for his mom's corpse....in end he went behind -- was it to die with the corpse or die with Nie Huaisang's brother?

oh and I didn't understand -- why did WenLing suddenly appeared as a zombie with the dead Nie brother sword?  Did the sword control him?

I did see the subtle  hints by reading about them..haha..thanks….I do believe everyone has their right to love who they do...but I tend to like the bromance...I just thought drama did very well to make the homosexuality more subtle with those hints...because no way would the sexual content of the novel be able pass censhorship….is it me that I feel it was actually LanZhan who "fell in love" first...he got angry when he thought WX saved the girl from being burned on face....

there was a lot of nice parallels...like how lanzhan told his older brother he wanted to bring WX back to his old home where he grew up to "lock him up"...just like how his father did that to the mother...

#2, Yeah, Jiang Cheng only kept the flute, JGY kept the sword suibian, my bad.

#3, no they didn't come out. They were murdered at the burial mounds. 

#4, I think it was because he went to die with Nie Mingjue since he knew his time was up. And well, the temple was built over the old prostitution place where was basically raised so...It was because of resentful energy from what i remember, i have to watch it again.

In the drama, it's different and it looks as if they fell mutually in love since the beginning and wei wuxian was more conscious of his feelings, unlike in the novel where he's just oblivious for most of it. I mean, during the mianmian part if you notice, when he asks lan zhan if he likes mian mian, look at his hands. they turn into fists, and his body language is basically like he said it but he doesn't like that option xD

Also yes, but in the end he didn't do like his father, which is why he let him go in the end so that wei ying would travel by himself and not being "locked up" in cloud recesses. But eventually, Wei Ying returns in the end and it's just beautiful. This is a drama that must be watched more than once especially for new fans because during the first watch, you miss a lot of stuff. then you can watch it again calmly and notice new things 

• Like 1

I loved the older Jiang sister....so sad when she died didn’t even get to finish her sentence to him...it was dangerous yet she still came out to see him and didn’t blame him for her husbands death....what love!

and at first I was annoyed at Jiangchen...although i could see his brother love for WX throughout the show.....he couldn’t be as free to do whatever he wanted since he had a whole clan to take care of..and could only let lose WX...I think it was pure sadness frustration when he ppinted that final sword to WX but he still couldn’t get himself to kill WX...I can imagine his sadness without his sister or WX ....it really wasn’t till the end that shows how he risked his life to save WX...that showed how much he had he loved WX..And WX didn’t even know about it..so sad due to pride they didn’t say final goodbyes......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Lieu said:

I loved the older Jiang sister....so sad when she died didn’t even get to finish her sentence to him...it was dangerous yet she still came out to see him and didn’t blame him for her husbands death....what love!

and at first I was annoyed at Jiangchen...although i could see his brother love for WX throughout the show.....he couldn’t be as free to do whatever he wanted since he had a whole clan to take care of..and could only let lose WX...I think it was pure sadness frustration when he ppinted that final sword to WX but he still couldn’t get himself to kill WX...I can imagine his sadness without his sister or WX ....it really wasn’t till the end that shows how he risked his life to save WX...that showed how much he had he loved WX..And WX didn’t even know about it..so sad due to pride they didn’t say final goodbyes......

I misunderstood JC and didn't like him at the beginning too. Towards the end, I sympathized with him, and came to understand why he's the way he is. Yes, Yanli sister is the best. I have never watch a drama where a sister is so caring and loving towards her brothers. WX isn't her blood brother, but she loves him and treats him as her blood brother, I even joke she treats him better than JC^^. The three Jiang siblings is what makes this drama so awesome for me, their kinship towards each other is so ideal and makes you want to be there and take part in their kinship as a family.

• Love 2

On 3/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, butterchez said:

Dang this drama is on FIREEEE. I LOVEEEEED ITTTT. I can't get enough of wangxian i've read the novel and am listening to the audio drama, watching the anime, and reading the manhua all at the same time. Im even learning mandarin!!! XD I didn't know I was going to go so deep in the mdzs rabbit hole when I randomly started watching the untamed Does anyone have suggestions of what I should read or watch after I've completely devoured all of mdzs content?????

I am like you. You can now watch the Untamed fan meeting and concert on YouTube. ALL of the cast danced and sang all of the songs.
There is now a band for the drama. The Untamed Boys are made up of the supporting cast. There are also behind the scenes interviews for them. They are on a world tour.

The 2 spinoffs are out. The Living Dead is focused on Wen Ning and Lan Sizhui/A Yuan. The Fatal Journey is focused on the Nie brothers. I am hoping that they will release a third spinoff soon. There are plans for a total of 5 movies.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, Lullaby Moon said:

#2, Yeah, Jiang Cheng only kept the flute, JGY kept the sword suibian, my bad.

#3, no they didn't come out. They were murdered at the burial mounds. 

#4, I think it was because he went to die with Nie Mingjue since he knew his time was up. And well, the temple was built over the old prostitution place where was basically raised so...It was because of resentful energy from what i remember, i have to watch it again.

In the drama, it's different and it looks as if they fell mutually in love since the beginning and wei wuxian was more conscious of his feelings, unlike in the novel where he's just oblivious for most of it. I mean, during the mianmian part if you notice, when he asks lan zhan if he likes mian mian, look at his hands. they turn into fists, and his body language is basically like he said it but he doesn't like that option xD

Also yes, but in the end he didn't do like his father, which is why he let him go in the end so that wei ying would travel by himself and not being "locked up" in cloud recesses. But eventually, Wei Ying returns in the end and it's just beautiful. This is a drama that must be watched more than once especially for new fans because during the first watch, you miss a lot of stuff. then you can watch it again calmly and notice new things 

Perfectly put. 

On YouTube there is a playlist dubbed in English by Tianmi Jun that has great analysis on the events & characters. 

On 4/20/2020 at 8:32 PM, El Lieu said:

Thank you so much!  Yes I am rewatching the special edition part.::as I just finished watching whole 50 chapters...some spots confusing to me....

This happened to me, too. So I watched the YouTube channel by Tianmi Jun and her insightful analysis really cleared it all up. For example, search “analysis dafan mountain reunion.”

I find the one about director Nie fascinating. 

Then go watch the spinoff “The Fatal Journey.” It is about the love bond of the Nie brothers. You can see why Nie Huasang  wanted to resurrect Wei Wuxian.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, rosierosie said:

All their 

Reveal hidden contents

Nie Hua Sang/Ji Li is an excellent actor. I hope that he gets another spinoff after The Fatal Journey, since there are plans for 4-5 spinoffs.. At the end of the movie, you can tell that he is transferring into Director Nie. He is my favorite character. 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:23 AM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Yeah! I love the donghua too! WWX is much more badass in the donghua than he is in the drama and closer to how he is in the novel. Would have been nice if they made WWX more badass in the drama too but I think they have to tone down the character because of broadcasting restrictions.

Woah. You are so sharp. It is the same voice actor. In fact, he is also the voice actor for LZ in the drama :rolleyes: I really like JYL's voice in the donghua too. Gentle but determined. 

I feel that the donghua seems more focused on the action and less on the interaction between the characters. If you want something more than bromance, I suggest you take a look at the manhua :wub: 

Besides restrictions, I think that Xiao Zhan never got acting training. So that will be hard for him to be more badass as WWX. A rumor said that Xiao Zhan will have another chance in a BL novel adaptation.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, 抹茶.Latte said:

Yeah! It is actually a poster made by WeTV Taiwan to celebrate the successful broadcast of the special edition of the drama. But we know exactly what they are celebrating instead with that Double Happiness word :wub: 

The bowing to ancestors three times is definitely intentional! Right after that three bow, WY spoke of Lady's Jiang's bad temper but he only bowed twice to apologise and pay his respect to her. Similarly, in ep 20 when WY and JC returned to Lotus Pier briefly to pay their respects to the ancestors after killing Wen Chao, they only bowed two times :wub:

EP-wwTgU8AA2xn_?format=jpg&name=medium

Rough translation of the Chinese text:

#Wefamily has a joyous occasion (note 囍 for marriage is used instead of the usual 喜)

Congratulations on the successful broadcast of The Untamed Special Edition

Finish this drama

#From now on you are mine

LZ *takes out sword and lift WY's head*  FROM NOW ON YOU ARE MINE 

:P:P:P

I think that giving chickens in some Asian tradition is a marriage proposal.

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

Besides restrictions, I think that Xiao Zhan never got acting training. So that will be hard for him to be more badass as WWX. A rumor said that Xiao Zhan will have another chance in a BL novel adaptation.

that rumor is false. This is not like Thai bl series where they have the same actors doing other bl dramas. It is highly unlikely he will get offered other bl adaptations. Same with wang yibo. They don't want to be typecasted

also xiao zhan has already acted ln other dramas but this was his first time being main lead. Him not being more badass has everything to do with restrictions since they are prohibited from portraying him like the novel or donghua since he's more of a gray-morality character and does bad things. In chinese dramas, the main hero cant do that. He needs to be a hero in every sense of the word

• Like 1