[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

I cried like 3 times watching the 2 new eps. I was very sad when I read the novel, but seeing this with actual people really got the tears out of me. the action sequences are super clunky as usual but I think I'm just gonna have to deal with it and just watch for the emotion. I have to say Xiao Zhan is truly perfect for this role, he's like my imagined Wu Weixian walked out of the pages. the rest of the flashback is gonna be very rough and requires a lot of great acting as it's a major shift in the character, but I trust him to deliver. also the voice actor as well? fantastic combo

btw seeing people's confusion about first few episodes really reminds of my first read of the novel lol. the first 30 or so chapters were so incredibly confusing with the flashbacks and all the names

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JoyceDreamer said:

Anyone who knows of spoilers, could you please clarify somethings: 

1. How does Lan Wang Ji know that Mo Xuanyu is Wei Wuxian? 

In the drama, I think when MoXuanYu was playing his flute to calm down the 'dancing' rock/conjure up Wen Ning, Lan Wang Ji realized that it was him because he played the song that was sing by LWJ in the cave. He is the one who created the song (the ending theme song) so he knows that only WWX knows the song. That's why LWJ held his hand and stare at WWX for so long :) 

@DontEatMyKimchi Thanks for clarifying and giving us the details. By the way, can I ask you on something because you seem to read the novel...

Spoiler

In the anime, at the beginning the storyteller was saying that Jiang Cheng was the one who kill WWX and in the drama, they show JC going to stab WWX, so in the novel did JC really intend to kill WWX. Based on your description, it seems like WWX dark energy backfire on him; therefore, why is everyone saying JC is the one that killed him? I am curious because from what I know, I felt like they have a really interesting brother relationship and I want to know what really happened behind them. I felt like JC keep saying hurtful things and express all his angry on WWX but somehow, deep down I felt he really care for WWX and I just can't see him trying to kill WWX...I hope it is not true... 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BreezeC said:

In the drama, I think when MoXuanYu was playing his flute to calm down the 'dancing' rock/conjure up Wen Ning, Lan Wang Ji realized that it was him because he played the song that was sing by LWJ in the cave. He is the one who created the song (the ending theme song) so he knows that only WWX knows the song. That's why LWJ held his hand and stare at WWX for so long :) 

And also i think Mo XuanYu always wearing mask, nobody ever seen his face? And Lan Zhan never meet Mo XuanYu before, so he only recognize Wei Ying, and he played the song.

About why Jiang Cheng hate Wei Ying so much, i think because...

Spoiler

Forgot on which ep, some people saying about how Wei Ying ruined JC family, like in the preview upcoming eps, there is ep that showing how JC's father n mother got killed by Wen's Family because of defending WY, and there is also a scene showing Jin Prince whom will be JC's elder sister's husband, killed by WY. So... I think those are few reasons why JC hate WY so much and kill everybody who use WY's magic tricks. Cmiiw.

• Like 1

@JoyceDreamer I am assuming from the current trend of episodes, we are going to be in flashbacks for a bit until Wei Ying dies. I'm hoping we at least get 15+ episodes in present day. I would like to see present day wangxian. The book was like 80% flashbacks so...we're going to be in the past for a bit... 

• Like 1

@moon-flower @elsanna Thanks! 

I'm just hoping it won't be too confusing since I can't tell the difference between Mo Xuan Yu and Wei Ying. I know that in the beginning of the drama, Mo Xuan Yu wears a mask but not sure if he will continue wearing a mask for the entire story (i doubt).  @moon-flower I do hope that there is more than +15 episodes in present day! I'm more excited to know what happens in the present since I know that he changes when he is Wei Ying. 

Thanks to everyone for all the explanations, it really makes it way easier to understand everything for someone new to the story. <3

I was wondering, how is the romance... I mean bromance... I mean ... f r i e n d s h i p  compared to the novel/anime? Everyone up until now (ep 14) was very positively surprised with the main leads interactions (because we all know the rules too well =.=) but is the drama still tamer than the original(s)?

Is the anime tuned down compared to the novel or (up until now) are they all on the same level?

jhuLLTz.png

9N34vMM.pngYou all can imagine what I think of whom he is thinking when seeing this kkk <333

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

New trailer. 

Looks like Tencent updated with english subs, time to watch again.

*Here's my translation*  

Spoiler

6 years, it was like a dream.

I wonder if the things that happen in this world are anchor to a set rules.

Things don't follow a straight or bent path. It all depends on way of the heart.

In this world, three of us are the dearest.

I am sorry ... and thank you.

Whenever you say something, I always laugh. And when I laugh I won't be able to hold my sword properly. (SUCH A GENTLE VOICE TT_TT)

You exploit him because he is blind. You tell lies to make him suffer!

I have lied numerous times, I have hurt numerous people in my life but NEVER ONCE HAVE I THOUGHT OF HARMING YOU. 

Didn't you say you can control it? Didn't you say there were no problems? GOOD, now you are back. 

You will eventually pay the price for using dark arts. Not only will this cultivation will deteriorate your body but also your mind(/heart)

Can a spectator really have a clear judgement on who's right or wrong, what's gratitude or grudge?

Think carefully because it's a sign of betrayal to the righteous path/cultivation if you continue on this one way path. 

I wish to help the weak and dispose of the evil.

Was this the vow that you and I pledged to uphold and protect? 

WEI YANG (MY BABE!!)

I want to bring that person to the Cloud Recesses (Yun Shen Bu Zhi Chu)

tumblr_puegm2pqgR1u1iqoao1_250.giftumblr_puegm2pqgR1u1iqoao2_250.gif

STILLS Ep 17~18

Spoiler

tumblr_pudwo9QY7N1u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_pudwo9QY7N1u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_pudwo9QY7N1u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_pudwo9QY7N1u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_pudwo9QY7N1u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_pudwo9QY7N1u1iqoao6_1280.jpg

New set of poster. 

tumblr_pudx0jWCSG1u1iqoao1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pudx0jWCSG1u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_pudx0jWCSG1u1iqoao2_540.jpgtumblr_pudx0jWCSG1u1iqoao6_1280.jpg

(big tsundere and small tsundere) 

tumblr_pudx0jWCSG1u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_pudx0jWCSG1u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_pudx0jWCSG1u1iqoao7_1280.jpg

@BreezeC

Spoiler

JC NEVER KILLED WWX. I think in the anime WWX did clarify that in his narration.

WWX died because his dark arts backfired on him and during/right before his death he destroyed half of the zombie controlling seal or plate *idk the english name*. The truth and the rumours that JC killed WWX were both circulating around the mdzs world. When WWX was alive JC alway said he will personally kill him. Also, he led the group (yun meng jiang, lang ling jin, gu su lan, qing he nie) to dispose WWX. I guess these 2 points helped to fuel in the false rumours. 

JC (if I remember correctly) certainly did not confront those rumours. From my opinion, this is due to A) it sounds better for WWX to be murder by a fellow human than getting blast to powder; B.) because JC is a man of words not of action so 'since I can't bring myself kill WWX, Ill just let the rumour do the job.'

The only time JC physically hurt WWX was during a staged show that he and WWX planned before they announced to the world that WWX has been officially kicked out of Yun Meng Jiang Sect. JC stabbed WWX in the guts and WWX/Wen Ning broke JC's arm. JC later complained about it because it took WWX only 7 days to heal while JC needed one entire month. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

cried again for ep 18. damn those Yunmeng siblings scenes really gets me. prop to the drama for pushing the cute childhood scene early to before this whole fixing JC's golden core thing. the impact is that much stronger. looooove Shijie's actress and although I think JC's actor overacts a bit but he does have great bro chemistry with WWX.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, moon-flower said:

@JoyceDreamer I am assuming from the current trend of episodes, we are going to be in flashbacks for a bit until Wei Ying dies. I'm hoping we at least get 15+ episodes in present day. I would like to see present day wangxian. The book was like 80% flashbacks so...we're going to be in the past for a bit... 

there are videos on vimeo..

so i think they will play out all scenes from present too

there is a scene with them breaking walls to pull XJ out.. paper man on LZ , when WX runs to JX's room to find about his secrets.. we will get there!

• Like 2

those who read the novel..

nightless/you know just before his confession, WWX is told what LZ did..

I just want to know why did have to tell LZ (post confession) that his memory is poor.. i mean had he rememebered, how would have things change? WWX is always oblivious to true feelings

19 hours ago, Jennifer Padilla said:

Thanks to everyone for all the explanations, it really makes it way easier to understand everything for someone new to the story. <3

I was wondering, how is the romance... I mean bromance... I mean ... f r i e n d s h i p  compared to the novel/anime? Everyone up until now (ep 14) was very positively surprised with the main leads interactions (because we all know the rules too well =.=) but is the drama still tamer than the original(s)?

Is the anime tuned down compared to the novel or (up until now) are they all on the same level?

You all can imagine what I think of whom he is thinking when seeing this kkk <333

Im not sure if the anime is tuned down but So far its Novel >> Manga with Drama/Anime with me being unsure cause neither are very finished. 

• Thanks 1

hmm I wish ep 20 did more with WWX's experiences in Yiling. like that's the one thing they could have spend their extra runtime on instead of all that time at Wen Qing's place. but I am pleasantly surprised at all the gory details of his return and how good he looks whew

one thing that I really dig though is the "confrontation" between LWJ and WWX. although the lines are pretty much completely intact, the scene conveys a totally different dynamic from the novel and other adaptations. them adding this WWX expression after LWJ left is SO good.

Spoiler

tumblr_pug88eoge61w755y6o2_500.gif

aaaahhh I love Xiao Zhan so much, talented king!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The anime is only 20 mins and maybe even a bit less, while the drama is a solid 40mins, so other than the drama having a couple more detailed glances between WWX and LWJ the friendship level is pretty much the same. 

Ep 19~20 stills.   Tonight's episode was EPIC. I can't wait for next week's battle scenes.

tumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao10_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao8_1280.jpgtumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao3_1280.jpgtumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao7_1280.jpgtumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_pughwc9DUR1u1iqoao9_1280.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 7/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, Jennifer Padilla said:

the drama adds more interactions between the leads than there are in the novel up, until this point. I think they also have a more amicable relationship in the drama. but it's also tamer in the sense that in novel's Xuanwu cave scene WWX actually was undressed and LWJ BITES him at some point. totally understandable why that had to be changed and I'm very happy with the replacement scene we got lol

anyway, I highly suspect they're adding extra "fluffy" interactions between the 2 leads in the flashback to replace the novel scenes that they will inevitably have to cut out in the present timeline. (like imo the Lan ancestor cave scene + the LWJ drunk scene is very obviously meant to replace a much more suggestive present time LWJ drunk scene in the novel). there are a lot stuff in present time that I just can't see making past censorship, but hey I hope they surprise me

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, shuwei said:

hmm I wish ep 20 did more with WWX's experiences in Yiling. like that's the one thing they could have spend their extra runtime on instead of all that time at Wen Qing's place. but I am pleasantly surprised at all the gory details of his return and how good he looks whew

one thing that I really dig though is the "confrontation" between LWJ and WWX. although the lines are pretty much completely intact, the scene conveys a totally different dynamic from the novel and other adaptations. them adding this WWX expression after LWJ left is SO good.

Hide contents

aaaahhh I love Xiao Zhan so much, talented king!

can you translate what was that confrontation about.. didn't understand