Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

This was not the ending that I had predicted - that the Clown was actually the twin of the real king.  I had thought that the dowager had directed that one of the twins be killed right after his birth, but that someone in the court could not bring himself or herself to do it, and gave the child to a commoner.  However, I am not at all disappointed with the ending, which abruptly “settled my issues.” I wanted a happy ending for sure, but I also wanted several people to pay for their transgressions, murders, and treason.  I was not disappointed! This is one of those Korean dramas that I consider to be a “keeper,” and when it becomes available, we will purchase the DVD.  An overall wonderful job on the entire story.

• Like 6

Any news about post interviews of Yeo Jin Goo and Lee Se Young? Can’t wait about their impressions of the drama

edit:

New farewell video. :bawling::bawling:

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

What a wonderful end to the well-told drama! Solid story, great characters to root for and it stirred up so many emotions. Everything was wrapped up nicely in a bow and presented with such grace too.

I particularly liked the scene between eunuch cho and the clown king in the study when the latter was about to leave after abdication. I was so stung by how poignant it was because that not only reflected the sadness in the separation of trusted friends, it was also about the painful loss of a person who truly understood what it meant to be king. 

He bore the weight of the crown, bravely overcame the odds stacked against him and achieved greatness. The wisdom, courage, humility and uprightness are qualities hard to come by, what more in one person. And he’s not of royal blood - sort of gave royalty a kick in the behind there. 

I think the end is akin to enjoying a fantastic home-cooked meal and then sitting down with a fluffy blanket by a fire, warm, snug and satisfied.

My Omm moment. 

So good.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Did they have to make that fake death storyline though? 

That was my thought in the last few minutes of the last episode.

But all in all I have to say the drama was pretty solid, and while I feel like the first half was significantly better, more interesting, humorous and more suspenseful, the second half wasn't bad either. Especially the last episode, even though I disagree with the fake death, so stereotypical...

Also was I the only one that for one moment thought "which one is this?" when Jingoo appeared? Since both the king and the clown who became king were believed (with a good reason) to be "dead" at that point. What a twist it would have been! But I guess the writers weren't that cruel. Imagine if it was a redeemed and much changed LH! lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, rittoo said:

Did they have to make that fake death storyline though? 

That was my thought in the last few minutes of the last episode.

But all in all I have to say the drama was pretty solid, and while I feel like the first half was significantly better, more interesting, humorous and more suspenseful, the second half wasn't bad either. Especially the last episode, even though I disagree with the fake death, so stereotypical...

Also was I the only one that for one moment thought "which one is this?" when Jingoo appeared? Since both the king and the clown who became king were believed (with a good reason) to be "dead" at that point. What a twist it would have been! But I guess the writers weren't that cruel. Imagine if it was a redeemed and much changed LH! lol

OMG I thought I was the only one. In the last scene, I was like, well that’s Ha Seon. But wait.. why he looks so much like Yi Heon?? Oh no, is that the real king???? :D maybe because of the dark circle under his eyes. The one with dark circle was usually Yi Heon. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@rittoo , @annie1234

I think for a second, but then they remember their promises then ...
I wanted to add, in addition to the wrist bandage of HS, that the last promise of SW to HS is never to attempt suicide again, we know the character of the queen and we know his love for HS.

In addition, for HS, a promise is very important and SW knows it!

I doubt that she committed suicide ...

I think she will prefer to wait until her natural death or murder, but she will not break her promise to HS!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

17 hours ago, vladlola06 said:

Oh! he has the arm in a sling in the BTS !! 

Thank @annie1234 :)

U r welcome :D I didn’t notice the arm sling before. What an eagle eyes :lol:

edit :

Anyone here know about what Lee Se Young said in her interview? She seems like talking about Yeo Jin Goo quite a lot and about the ending of the drama?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Screenshot-2019-0306-204655.png

Gals....Nice to meet U all tho TCC has ended. But it's still not that late to share thoughts. Hehe...

I'm not a new member but it has been 4 years from my last post in Soompi n has decided to stop writing thoughts about Kdrama. Just watch it for entertainment only n probably didn't find a drama that could give me desire to think hard n write the thoughts. I'm a picky one about KDrama....n usually rarely watch Kdrama just based on the rating or recommendation n I have tendency to stop watching when I felt the drama became so boring. So it's pure based on my feeling.

Since the beginning when I knew about TCC n YJG is the lead, I want to watch it. I wasn't his fan tho but I like him in Tazza n Missing You but then lost his track. So I love it that I could find him again. 

I like all the cast n from the script reading, the posters, the teasers , I knew that I will like it n then decided to go back to soompi tho only became a Silent Reader. I'm not a sageuk fans but  it's surprise me that throughout 16 eps I watched it with heart n mind not just with my eyes. Hehe...

N coz now I became JG's fans n love this drama to the max, finally I decided to post my thoughts n I should make a new account to post it coz I don't remember my password before. Hahaha..so, this is my 1st post n it's kinda long post. Hehe...

So, let's begin....

I love a drama when it has main theme, using symbols n parallelism scenes. N I got all of it from this drama. 

Spoiler

pi-Zap-1551933244950.jpg

IMO, those are the main theme on this drama n we got that from all eps n for the ending I take it as a bittersweet ending n I LOVE it. Everyone & everything take parts n keep their promise n it all give me a satisfying end.

I use Purple for this post coz I love it n also dedicated to Yi Heon......

Spoiler

7c0c80a90e9a86d63801187ccb8b2be8.jpg

The color purple is often associated with royalty, nobility,power, and ambition. Purple also represents meanings of wisdom, dignity n.  devotion. N We got to see all of it from this drama.

I divide my thoughts for the Finale into 9 points. 9 for 9oo....haha...n only contains of people and things that I like the interaction with Ha Seon. N the interisting is I love his interaction with all characters.

The Haters

1. Shin Chi Soo

Well...a man who is only  loyal to himself. Gosh, it's so easy to him change it. I like their strategy when he attacks the palace. That's so cool to see the door closed behind SCS and leave him alone with Ha Sun. I didn't expect to get parallelism for this scene. It was a shocking moment for me when HS looks so calm stab him n then slices him. Wow.....It's like what YH did before but with so different expression. The 1st n last time ever that HS kill someone. To protect what he loves he could endure it. 
2. Queen Dowager

I always love her scene with Ha Seon .Always interesting. From the 1st time he met her.  Especially the one when HS threaten  N what an ending for her. The one who always ask the King to give  SW death penalty by drinking poison. At the end she's the one who get it.

The 1 side Love

3. Seon Hwa Dang

Feel sorry for her. Not only YH who ignore her but so is HS. But at least before she die, she got that happy feeling that HS still care about her. I really love it when HS ask her feeling before he give his decision.

The Fanboy's Squad

4. Hak San

Yes...to get a victory sometime we should lose someone. Haksan die n didn't keep his promise to always protect HS but his death also give protection to  HS & the important thing he also got rid the biggest Royal treat. He dies with dignity n also knows that this country on the right hand. N that Bow to HS is something. I'm glad that before his death, he's already give HS, his respect n TRUST. Who know that the same person who ever give Ha Soen his kick finally give his bow.

5. Joo Ho Geol

The emoticon man. Hahaha....It's so funny to see his expression when he sees HS. That admired expression is so lovely. Hahaha....n especially when someone drag him or HS leave him. lol....I'm glad that he didn't die n still keep doing his work very well. N Thanks to HS for giving him a reward vacation so we could see his seasick expression. Hehe...

6. Eunuch Jo

A lovely character. Always love to see their father n son interaction. Especially his expression when got his Fav snack. Hehehe....I love that he finally could give his drawing to HS. Love that he tells him that he is like a summer. A Sunshine that give warm to all. (well, that what we call JG, hahha especially when he give his warm smile)

Spoiler

pi-Zap-1551971894050.jpg

This drama actually could have just a "common" happy ending scene but NOO...it's a special drama that will keep the audience still riding a roller coaster until the end. The ending could be just like this...after HS leave the palace then he meet SW at the promised place n then smile to each other n walk away while holding hand. But it could be just a booring n standart scene. hahaha....coz we still have important things.

7. Officer Jang 

I always thought that I should also worry about Officer Jang n like I understand very well for the death of Haksan. It's also applied to him. I like that he still keep his promise to always protect him till the last of his breath. N HS's joke about he's fallen to him....especially coz got no expression ...hahaha

The Family

8. Dal Rae n Gab Soo

I was afraid that we couldn't see them again especially after the hand wave. Finally 2 years later we could see them again. I like that she could smile again .

The Symbols

9. D.C.H

The ending of this drama definitely has a room of different interpretation. But I'm going to take it as a happy ending and they're still alive. 

I take the 3 things in this drama as a symbol.

Dagger as Life
Compass as Time
Hazelnut as Together Forever

When watched it via Live Stream, I wonder why he give it back to her. Ah...that's coz he remove her from the palace.  Our Ha Soen...as a 1 Woman Man, ofc doesn't wanna get another wife. It's kinda foresee that for a while she will be alone n it will be her protection to still keep her promise that never ever hurt herself.

When there is no body that means he's not dead.  Someone help him but didn't notice about the compass so leave it. It's different with the 1st time he got arrow shoot. This time in 2 places n took more times to get healed. So, after he finally get healthy, I think he didn't know where he should find her then decided to go to his sister place.  ( n I think no need to put it on scenes, something that we should use our imagination is more enticing).

I think the Clown is Ha Seon. I think he sees SW , especially when she give the rings. It's an emotional moment for him that finally he could see her again but ofc for a moment like that, he prefer do it in private. So, he's not just suddenly take his mask off n surprise her. N off course that kind of ending will not give us fluttering moment.

There were 3 things in eps. 9 that I think foresee what will happen at the ending.

1. Love confession scene

The quote on that compass pouch.

" A Thousand Years apart from You"

2. The 1st Snow scene

Ha Seon's letter.

" Even IF I die missing You "

3. The 1st time hearing Se O 's song...A Long Way from Now

" I'm slowly going, But You're getting farther away again"

I think those 3 reflect that there will be a separation.

They didn't give us 2 scenes of hazelnut for nothing. Coz it will also has a part. It's a meaningful thing for our Hazelnut Couple. Finally she cracks it n I take it as both of them are alive. I think they pick the location n use that kind of cinematography effect to confuse us . But remember, the main theme on this drama are TRUST n PROMISE. N that what we got.

This scene was when the dagger take a part. She keep her PROMISE to never use it and kill herself tho ofc she's sad n missing him but she still keep alive.  I guess, he knows where she goes from Ae Young n waited the right moment to show up in front of her. So, after she cracks the hazelnut & make a wish, it's the right time. 

N they use the song again n read carefully for the lyric.

" THEY WERE ALL A DREAM TO ME"

The dialogue also meaningful. Both of them said about their DREAM but then we get the TRUST ( actually this one is for Us, The Viewer, whether we want to trust him or not ) when HS said...

pi-Zap-1551936554107.jpg

I think HS was on coma n we can take that as the meaning of these. 

"Even IF I die missing you  & I'm done living my life while missing you"

Coz now he's alive & could fulfill his PROMISE. 

It's the symbol of the Compass. Although he should took a detour n took a long time but he would come to her.

N that is the meaning of cracking the Hazelnut. Their wishes after walk under the trees finally could happen. Do U all notice that it looks like that we got Engagement & Marriage scenes? 

pi-Zap-1552052674833.jpg 
At the ending, HS's position is on her right. It's like a holy marriage (It's like from Psalm 16:8, when David equalize himself as "God's Bride" - I have set the LORD always before me. Because HE is at my right hand, I will not be shaken). Now HS is her husband n he will protect her n like what he said "NOW NOTHING CAN KEEP US APART" 

They are meant to be together and stay TOGETHER FOREVER.

Spoiler

pi-Zap-1551970824004.jpg

After all, TCC has a gripping and exciting storyline with a social issues that still exist until now. Great acting & chemistry, great directing, great cinematography, great OST n the music score n so on. One word for TCC....It would simply

Spoiler

Screenshot-2019-0307-133238.png

Thanks to ALL who participated in this drama. This drama was worth every minute of my time. Worth all the heart pounding stress. Haha.... Especially coz it's been 4 years that I never watch Kdrama via streaming. Tho I don't understand the language, it still make my heart beat fast. Hahaha.....N it still amaze me that there were a lot of laughing on location even on intense scene. Thank so much for the BTS. This drama definitely become a memorable drama for me n I'm glad that I didn't skip it n I'm gonna miss it. 

So, that's it....my long thoughts. Well, couldn't believe that I could still writing this long. :)

Spoiler

Screenshot-2019-0306-204758.png

Edited by triplem
4th image (Pic, YT, IG, twitter) onwards needs to go into spoiler. TQ
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

I just finished the drama. It was great. But like many others, I didn't understand the fake death part either. I mean, why? Couldn't he just go straight to the Queen? (I actually still can't tell if the guard died either, jeez. He was my favorite character out of everyone.)

My favorite part was when Eunuch Cho and Ha Seon parted as well. As he asked if he could go with HS, HS said no because he recommended him for a promotion. It moved me to tears during that scene (aside from the obvious Haksan/Secretary Lee death). I was very glad that SCS and Lord Jinpeong died very deservingly, and I have to applaud all of the actors and actresses for all of their hard work and portrayal (especially the villains!) Villains are always hated and it is really thanks to the actors (and scriptwriter) for that. I feel that Haksan's death was necessary for the storyline to proceed as it did, but I definitely didn't want him to die.

I had little shards of tears at the ending scene as well between the Queen and HS. They're finally together without any obstacles or burdens or eyes in the palace. I'm upset that HS had no more trusted people (aside from the Queen, of course) by his side, but perhaps it was what he wanted- to live as a normal person after all of that chaos.

I'm so grateful to have seen this drama and followed it with each and every one of you! I hope that YJG and LSY can reunite in another drama- I definitely enjoyed their chemistry in this historical drama!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, xprosperity said:

I just finished the drama. It was great. But like many others, I didn't understand the fake death part either. I mean, why? Couldn't he just go straight to the Queen? (I actually still can't tell if the guard died either, jeez. He was my favorite character out of everyone.)

My favorite part was when Eunuch Cho and Ha Seon parted as well. As he asked if he could go with HS, HS said no because he recommended him for a promotion. It moved me to tears during that scene (aside from the obvious Haksan/Secretary Lee death). I was very glad that SCS and Lord Jinpeong died very deservingly, and I have to applaud all of the actors and actresses for all of their hard work and portrayal (especially the villains!) Villains are always hated and it is really thanks to the actors (and scriptwriter) for that. I feel that Haksan's death was necessary for the storyline to proceed as it did, but I definitely didn't want him to die.

I had little shards of tears at the ending scene as well between the Queen and HS. They're finally together without any obstacles or burdens or eyes in the palace. I'm upset that HS had no more trusted people (aside from the Queen, of course) by his side, but perhaps it was what he wanted- to live as a normal person after all of that chaos.

I'm so grateful to have seen this drama and followed it with each and every one of you! I hope that YJG and LSY can reunite in another drama- I definitely enjoyed their chemistry in this historical drama!

He was in coma or unconscious because of the attack. That’s why he couldn’t go straight to the queen.

Yes, I am happy with Ha Seon and Queen got away from that palace. It’s better to live a normal live rather than live in that scary palace.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, annie1234 said:

He was in coma or unconscious because of the attack. That’s why he couldn’t go straight to the queen.

Yes, I am happy with Ha Seon and Queen got away from that palace. It’s better to live a normal live rather than live in that scary palace.

I agree that they get to live a normal live. I'm so glad that the Queen gave him the plan to depose her and send her away so she could wait for him.

Oh, I thought that was false... So he actually did get attacked. I guess my favorite guard died. :bawling: Man, he was my favorite out of everyone. From the time when he knew that Ha Seon wasn't the actual king and decided to believe in him anyway because Ha Seon's kindness led him to believe that he could change the world in a better way than Lee Yeon had. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I hope Yeo Jin Goo will win The Best Actor award. I know all of his competitors are great actors but his potrayal as both Ha Seon and Yi Heon really deserved awards. I hope  Kim Sang Kyung will win too. The Crowned Clown desered more recognitions. :wub:

• Like 1