Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

Episode 14

Queen Dowager is deposed to Seogung (West palace).

In history the reference to Seogung (서궁) is presently known as Deoksugung Palace. 

Prince Jinpyeong & his troop enter the Doninmun (돈의문 敦義門) commonly known as Seodaemun (West Gate 서대문 西大門).

It is one of the 4 main gate of the Hanyang Fortress Wall

It was demolished in 1915 but the Seoul Government has plan to rebulit the gate but is delayed to 2022 due to budget constraints

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

The conversation of Haseon and Sowoon at the beach is giving me bad vibes... it scares me. I love this OTP so much. And I have to say, this is actually my fave OTP for Yeo Jin Goo thus far, having watched most of the stuff in his filmography. I won't be able to bear a sad ending for this two... nooooo...

Their kiss when they made a promise to one another to be together forever aww... their love was just overflowing in that scene it's perfect.

On another note, the highlight of the episode for me is when Doseungji finally acknowledges Haseon as the King and shows respect to him. MY FEELS. The conversation between Haseon and Shin Chisoo, I admit, terrified me... will Shin Chisoo succeed in poisoning Haseon's mind? But at the end of the day, Haseon is someone who wanted to gain power due to the injustice he experienced as a lowly commoner. What Shin Chisoo offers him is power to continue trampling on more lowly commoners in the future, which is something absolutely beneath Haseon.

I love this show for giving us characters that are not purely black and white. There is Doseungji who aims for a better nation for the people, but at the same time, he is someone who's willing to sacrifice people who will serve as an obstacle to his goals. Then there is the Queen Dowager who ends up killing people just so she can take vengeance for the innocent lives of his father and son. I really felt sorry for her in this episode.

And that episode ending. Wow. Okay. I'm really scared now. I hope everyone I care about in this drama stays safe.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

wow! love the beautiful moments between HS and SW at the start of ep14 and not to mention the scenic locations. Would definitely go back and rewatch that scene.

What's really touching in ep14 was when Lee Kyu finally called HS 'his majesty' even officer Jang was surprise at this. LK bowed to HS right after HS revealed his thoughts on LK and i was glad that HS wasn't sawyed by SCS. My only thought was LK felt HS is the true king who deserves a bow from him. It was really awesome when they bow to each other.

1 hour ago, circulate9oo said:

The conversation of Haseon and Sowoon at the beach is giving me bad vibes... it scares me. I love this OTP so much. And I have to say, this is actually my fave OTP for Yeo Jin Goo thus far, having watched most of the stuff in his filmography. I won't be able to bear a sad ending for this two... nooooo...

From HS and SW conversation in the library I get that HS is feeling the burden of wearing the crown and SW knows this. I won't really feel sad if HS and SW is deposed. I want them to leave and find love and happiness away from the evil palace. Maybe they will live in that small house at the corner that SW likes and have little kids.

I can't say the same for LK, after his confession to WS it could be a sad ending for him may be death what a way to pay for his sins. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

@imgreatgal Yeah, I'm sincerely hoping both of them would end up leaving the palace and live the rest of their lives peacefully together, like what they vowed to do.

I think there's 95% chance of Doseungji dying in this drama, truth be told. The moment he killed Yi Heon as well as revealing he also killed Yi Yul somehow sealed the deal for him. He will have to pay for his deeds, no matter how good his intentions are.

Let's play a game! Which characters do you think will end up dead in this drama? Here's mine:

- Doseungji (for the reason stated above)

- Officer Jang (he said his dream is to die protecting his King)

- Going by the teaser it looks like Seon Hwa Dang is also a goner... Haseon covers her eyes in the teaser. Maybe she will actually give the letter to Haseon?

Part 8 OST is now out! I've been waiting for it since it came out!

• Like 4
  • Love 4

I too would want HS and SW to live happily outside the palace, live the normal life that they want. Just like what SW wanting the smallest house from episode 7, saying "That is why I chose it. In such a small house, we'd be much closer together. Besides it is at the end of the alleyway. We'll have to take the longest walk to reach it." This might have been a dream she's been longing for despite knowing it might never happen. My wish is for them to be happy. But then, if that were to occur, what about the throne of the King? Sigh....

I just hope they can find happiness in the palace after all the resolution of all these conflicts.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

One of my favourite reviews . Agree very much with this writer about the drama’s quality & YJG’s stand out performance 

Spoiler

Defiant Until The End

The Crowned Clown returns this week with its final two episodes before next week’s finale. What a ride it’s been up until this point and as I’ve said before, this Korean drama has really done well to keep the political intrigue going right through to the end. It’s all about the end-game now and as forces move in the shadows, Ha Sun looks set for his toughest challenge yet.

We begin with Ha Sun and So Woon together, sharing a moment in the tranquil bliss away from court affairs. Their love is strong and together they look forward to the Queen’s father returning to strengthen their bond. Unfortunately, as revealed in the last episode, he’s been murdered in cold blood with all fingers pointing to Queen Dowager.

Unable to contain his rage, Ha Sun moves to get her deposed from her position, commanding Officer Jang to search through Prince Jin’s house to find evidence of the arrows used to kill him. After searching his house and catching wind of what the King is doing, Prince Jin flees, vowing to bring back the military to help usurp the throne for himself. 

Still scheming, Sin Chi Soo warns Ha Sun against deposing Queen Dowager and tells Ha Sun all about the Royal Secretary killing the real King. Unlike his other subjects, Ha Sun is not so easy to manipulate and he shrugs off these claims, instead finding himself more affected by the Royal Secretary deciding to step down from his role. This comes about after forcing a confession out of Queen Dowager in her role in killing the Queen’s Father.

We don’t get a moment’s rest though as the final twist in the tale comes in the form of the final 15 minutes of drama. The Left State Minister is freed and he looks ready to kill the Royal Secretary in the final moments of the episode. To make matters worse, the military have breached the castle walls and look set to usurp the King and put Prince Jin in his place. It’s a thrilling end to a breathtaking episode and something that looks set to explode into chaos.

As we reach the most dramatic point of the season, everything seems to be moving at a crazy pace. Thankfully this doesn’t detract from the writing or characterisation which are both excellent and keep the plot unpredictable and full of surprises. While a few of the characters do tend to overact their lines, Yeo Jin-Goo is fantastic and has really been the stand-out player here in this historical drama. The Crowned Clown has been my favourite show to cover this year and this episode typifies all the reasons why. Dramatic, thrilling and well-acted, this is one Korean drama you don’t want to miss the finale of.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

During this time, I am addicted to watching Korean dramas like crazy:scream: at one time. It makes me want to talk But can't do much I just read everyone's post. I am happy:blush: too Appreciate both laughter And weep at the same time I think after finishing the drama in this lot I intend to meet a psychiatrist. I think it feels like being a Bipolar. Absolutely hahaha !!!:joy:

lllll.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

My views may be different with regards to LK’s fate . I won’t deny that I have always found Lee Kyu’s actions & decisions to be morally ambiguous . When he spouts lines like that , you’re shock at how  vicious he can be - even  if you hate the ED , you could feel  her grief 

Spoiler

But nevertheless, I don’t know if death is something he deserves . If this is a war between good & evil ,he still represents the light , so to speak . He’s no saint of course but I can see why he made some questionable decisions in order to bring about the political  utopia that he’s always dreamt of & worked for . At the heart of the matter is that this fight is for a country who prioritises the welfare of its people instead of one which oppresses the weak . What he desires is an equitable system with opportunities for a better life for all  , as opposed to the one now where rampant corruption has only  lined the pockets of the  officials, land lords & noblemen. 

Had he not killed the young prince , & secured YH’s position, the latter would have been the one assassinated . And when YH descended into a state of paranoia with little possibility of recovery, LK did what he had to do, to ensure the throne does not fall into the control of the wrong hands. He’s not doing any of this , risking his own life for any political or material  gain & power . So I really don’t want him to die . 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, nidcha202 said:

During this time, I am addicted to watching Korean dramas like crazy:scream: at one time. It makes me want to talk But can't do much I just read everyone's post. I am happy:blush: too Appreciate both laughter And weep at the same time I think after finishing the drama in this lot I intend to meet a psychiatrist. I think it feels like being a Bipolar. Absolutely hahaha !!!:joy:

Lol...I feel ya. Been too occupied with Kdramas as well^^. I feel like I've actually spoken more to virtual/online people than those around me, chatting in social media, discussing in these forums, going back and forth, this has been my usual routine right after and in between work :tounge_xd:. After this drama ends, I still have Haechi and a whole lot more to come..ha ha.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

4 hours ago, circulate9oo said:

Let's play a game! Which characters do you think will end up dead in this drama? Here's mine:

- Doseungji

- Officer Jang

- Seon Hwa Dang

Spoiler

I was already expecting Seon Hwa Dang....but DOSEUNGJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII  :tears::tears::tears::tears: I didn't expect him to die so soon... well at least he took Jinpyeong-gun with him... but I'm speechless

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

:bawling::bawling::bawling:

OMG! This drama is going to kill me !!!! Each episode reveals its share of surprise! Do I have to admit that I have not been disappointed by any episode so far? (which is quite rare in a drama) the rhythm is good, so much happens by episode, and when we catch our breath, it is to build the love story between SW and HS, some feel that the pace sometimes slows down, but it's not my opinion, I totally adhere to the love affair between SW and HS, so I'm never bored, even if we spend a lot of time with them on the screen! In short, the second big shock of the season, even if I expected more than the death of the real king, despite everything, finally, LK is a character to whom I had many doubts, but who was able to convince me at the end, and this end for him is beautiful! sorry, I can't find my words now ... In short, for me this drama is a gem on all levels.

:heart:

• Like 7
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, vladlola06 said:

OMG! This drama is going to kill me !!!! Each episode reveals its share of surprise! Do I have to admit that I have not been disappointed by any episode so far? (which is quite rare in a drama) the rhythm is good, so much happens by episode, and when we catch our breath, it is to build the love story between SW and HS, some feel that the pace sometimes slows down, but it's not my opinion, I totally adhere to the love affair between SW and HS, so I'm never bored, even if we spend a lot of time with them on the screen! In short, the second big shock of the season, even if I expected more than the death of the real king, despite everything, finally, LK is a character to whom I had many doubts, but who was able to convince me at the end, and this end for him is beautiful! sorry, I can't find my words now ... In short, for me this drama is a gem on all levels.

I agree with you, every time I think that this episode will be bored, but no! They did it again they shock me!

• Like 5

I fell asleep while waiting for Soompi to come back up. So many deaths . Some deserving or which I don’t care for  .... 

but i was terribly sad to see Lee Kyu die .

He died a hero in some ways & died protecting the nation he loves.  He will not get to see better the Joseon he’s dreamed of , if that comes to past . I have yet to see the complete episode but this drama has no chill . Seems they  are going to take the fight right to the end . They should have executed SCS on the spot a long time ago ..urghh . With no LK by his side , this will be the real test of HS as king

Edited by triplem
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

Oh noooo, Lee Kyu...why??? :bawling:.

Why does it have to be now. This is so saaad...and cruel.

I agree, he should have at least witnessed the nation he dreamt of before he dies... What's gonna happen now to Ha Seon :tears:.

• Sad 7

7 hours ago, vladlola06 said:

I totally agree with you! Others have their set expectations on the direction this drama will take, so once the drama has diverted from the direction everyone expected it to go, like in Yi Heon's death, most people have lost their appreciation for this drama. While I agree that the Haseon-Yi Heon aspect was a very charming part of the show, I've also invested myself on the story as a whole rather than focusing on my own wishes for the story. In retrospect, this is Haseon's journey to becoming the King the people need. Haseon is The Crowned Clown, The Man Who Became King. This is about his story, and when you look at it from that POV, to me the story is very gripping with every episode surprising me time and time again. Some parts could have been better executed, the writing still has its flaws, but as a viewer, I can totally tell that the writer has everything planned out and nothing comes out of nowhere. Overall I totally love this story. It's a remake with a lots of homages to the original film, but props to the writers for totally making a whole new story out of the movie.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

@circulate9oo My exact thoughts! At the beginning of the drama I speculated a lot but I had everything wrong lol! :phew::lol:

but finally, I got carried away in the story that we were told, it's well written and consistent, so why not?
More than the man who became king, I want to say, HS was born to be a king!
What I also like in this drama is this very realistic human side that is put forward, such as ideals of LK, or the relationship between HS and SW.
Many might think that the queen is guilty of treason and that is unacceptable, that HS goes too far and that the world no longer exists when it comes to SW, but from my Western point of view, it makes sense ! They love each other passionately, so when one suffers (is in danger), the world no longer exists.
I want to say, when you live such an intense relationship, it makes more sense to react in this way, than to remain rational and cold or in sacrifice and unsaid.
LK had beliefs and ideals that could make us think we had to be wary of him, but most of all, he was the one who had a hard time fully trusting in HS, he saw kings who were corrupted by the power and for whom the people and the nation no longer mattered, he had sacrificed LH more or less to the blind for HS, but ultimately the latter proved to be trustworthy, it's for this reason that LK sacrificed, he knew he was leaving the country in good hands with HS, LK was faithful to himself until the end, his life was to be used to save the nation and the people and he didn't do not hesitate a second!
the wait until the next episode will be hard !!
(I wonder if a DVD box will be edited?)
I have a question? are the ratings good enough for the drama to have a chance to be rewarded?

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

@vladlola06 I agree! Honestly, I wish the events leading to the letter finally falling into the hands of the bad guys could have been executed much better by the writer, but I could also see it's probably hard given how there's so much story to cover in such a short amount of episodes. Anyway, yeah! Haksan is someone who's willing to sacrifice people for the good of the nation. He sees a bright future with Haseon ruling and thus even if it takes his own life to keep Haseon in the throne, he would willingly die with no regrets. Ep 14 we see Haksan put his full trust on Haseon as the king, and in Ep 15 we see him fulfill the vow he made towards Haseon. :(

I really hope they would get a reward vacation for this drama, but who knows? I remember Lee Kyu Han wishing for one during his interview in the first special episode that aired before the drama. He said he has never experienced a reward vacation since his debut back in 1997 :lol::sweatingbullets: Kim Sang Kyung also wished for it during their drama gosa ritual. And I know for sure Jingoo hasn't experienced it either. So I'm really hoping! After all, regardless of what everyone thinks of the story, I believe all the cast and the production team have done a fantastic job and they absolutely deserve a reward vacation. And ratings wise, although not breaking new records, this drama consistently stayed as the number 1 Mon-Tues drama, both in cable and public broadcast.

Have you seen the survey circulating on twitter and instagram about the Blu-ray/DVD survey? It's just a survey asking if you will buy one if they ever release it and apparently the more demand, the more chances a blu-ray/DVD set will be produced and it will most likely include deleted clips, more behind the scenes, commentaries and more stuff! So yeah, go check out the survey if you are interested!

Here's the link! You're going to need a daum cafe account to access the survey though. But making an account is also simple so no worries there. :D

• Like 5
  • Love 4

so much happening in ep15 don't know how many times i paused and rewind.  Was really intrigued by the confrontation between the ED and HS. How he handled her and put her in her place by saying 'all you can have pride in is your blood' hahaha bravo!!! HS. 

@vladlola06 agree with you, can't remember any dull moments from the first episode till now.  The writers are doing an excellent job in keeping us interested at each episode. was quiet anxious towards the end of ep15, wanting to know how HS handled the situation with the 'secret letter' and when LK got up and took the sword i just knew that he was going to his death. He knows that he is leaving the nation in good hands, sad though.  Agree with @triplem that it will be a real test for HS without LK by his side. 

I hope SCS and the court lady will be executed for killing Seon Hwa. What really amazes me is how a criminal breaks out of jail and walkabout freely without being apprehended.

Can't wait for the finale. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1