Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

It's been 3 episodes and I'm still liking it! Really hope the show keeps up! Right now it looks like this show will not only be a romance but also have relevant and thought through parts about politics, which I'm grateful for. I only wished LH had more screen time! It's almost all HS now. The interaction between HS and the queen is both sweet and cringy for me, because HS seems to be falling in love with the queen, but she doesn't know his true identity and has been waiting for LH as he was before he was driven mad by his life. The whole thing is rather unfair to LH and the queen both tbh, even though HS really is very loveable.

Is it just me or has YJG altered the way he speaks a little bit? His voice is naturally deep but he can speek with a very deep rumbling voice or a slightly less deep voice, which I like better. I feel he's speaking higher in this drama.

Recap time?

Spoiler

Trying to be short recapping from memory.

HS came back to the palace to learn how to survive and beat down your opponents, he tells the good minister (I can't remember names for the life  of me) that his sister has been brutalized buy evil minister's son and that he wants revenge and wants the guy to suffer. Good minister threatens to kill him but HS says he knows he won't and doesn't budge.

Good minister reports to the king who seems completely mad now (or rather they made him go cold turkey). LH gets mad at first doubting that good minister and HS have conspired against him which is why they didn't kill the queen's father, then he speaks of seeing his dead brother again and crawls into a corner, asking for his opium and the evil court woman. Good minister looks close to tears. It seems that LH then ran away to find opium, only to be brought back by the monk taking care of him, he is locked inside the room. Good minister says that he (LH) is the person who buried XXX (important person?) when he died and saved the monk and demands that the monk who used to be a doctor do all he can to heal LH.

Good minister looks for HS's family, he wants to take them hostage to prevent HS from running away again, but they aren't at the brothel anymore. Nice Gisaeng doesn't want to tell him where they went and he accuses her of knowing but not telling. "Even if you know, act as if you don't, even if you don't know, act as if you do", this is what he told her so that she would survive when XXX (same person as above) died. Mentioning that death seems to sadden good minister, also it seems like it's something he shouldn't have been involved with if he doesn't want to be implicated. He reluctantly admires the gisaeng that her words are like swords and leaves the brothel.

HS goes to the queen dowager's place to make a fuss as good minister has told him to, when he arrives, the queen is also there, they enter together to greet queen dowager. When they don't immediately drink the tea that's offered, the queen dowager asks HS whether he thinks it might be poisoned. Seeing his chance he says yes and somebody should try it for poison first. The queen offers to drink her tea first and HS throws the cup across the room, then he and the queen dowager get into a fight which the queen tries to mediate, the queen dowager then proceeds to yell at her and HS throws his table across the room and leaves with her. The queen, being perfect as she is, is unhappy that he has done something so unbefitting for a king.

Meanwhile queen dowager is becoming unhappy with the guy she wants to put on the throne. The court woman who's put poison in HS's food has hanged herself, it was the queen dowager who tried to poison the king. The male relative of LH's tells her he will try to assassinate LH/HS during the royal hunt, when she asks whether the paranoid LH will even go, he answers that he will have to to prove his health. 

Which is exactly why good minister makes HS agree to join the royal hunt. The eunuch is worried since LH is very good with a bow, but it turns out that HS is even better. We see a brief flashback of him shooting at goals to win money and laughing comically, in the present he looks exaggeratedly solemn as the eunuch asks him when he became so good and says he was born with the talent lol.

The eunuch warns HS that he might be targeted at the hunt and HS thanks him, but goes anyway. At the hunt evil minister brings his son of all people to hunt with the king, another person brings hunting dogs who get rather aggressive seeing HS but since HS secretly brought a piece of a tiger's skin, which the dogs are frightened of, he manages to calm them down and assuage possible doubts about him since LH was the one who originally gifted the dogs to their now-owner.

While hunting HS almost loses his cool and shoots the evil minister's son, but changes his mind at the last second, wanting to expose his crimes and also punish those who gave him power to abuse poor girls, and shoots the arrow between his legs instead, scaring him without hurting him. Almost at the same moment an assassin shoots at HS and only narrowly misses because he moves in that exact moment. The assassin runs away quickly and good minister who has followed HS and nearly got a heart attack seeing him shooting at the evil minister's son gets very angry with him.

Later the queen hears that the king has forbidden her to greet the queen dowager in the next time (which is completely against any protocol) and wants to confront him about misbehaving again, however in that moment one of the hunting dogs breaks lose and runs at her, HS jumps in front of her and the dog bites at his arm where he hid the piece of tiger's skin. He is hurt but not too bad and diverse people try to kill the dog, but HS stops them and says "if everyone would be killed for making a mistake once, who would be alive?" 

Later again the queen and the concubine visit HS after his wounds are bandaged, the concubine acts as if she was really scared and cuddles up to HS but HS just tells her thanks and you can go now along with the evil court woman who seems to have lost her influence with the king. HS and the queen then speak about why she shouldn't visit the queen dowager, it's because the queen dowager will give her a hard time whether she goes or no, so HS doesn't want her to go. The queen originally wanted to be angry at him, but is touched after hearing this. 

Later in the queen's chambers, she looks at the hazelnuts HS gave her and sneaks out to the wishing well. She tries to throw a stone into it but fails, HS appears and offers to throw the stones for her while she makes her wishes. When he does thousands of fireflies fly up from the water and he muses that this must be what it looks like if the stars fell down on earth. The queen looks at him in amazement. After she made her wish he throws a stone for himself and tells the queen that his wish is to see her truly laugh in happiness.

One detail I forgot to mention was that the queen dowager got a kind of flower tea from somewhere, this seemed to be important for her. Later we see the queen drinking that tea. I'm guessing it's something that makes it hard to become pregnant.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Usually I wait till a show is 6 or so episodes in if I’m gonna watch a currently airing show. But I couldn’t resist starting this since day 1 last week. With the momentum of the story right now, I love where it is going and I hope it keeps up this pace. 

Spoiler

When HS realized how his jokes about the queen were actually groundless rumors, I wondered how lovely it would be if he brings comedy in the palace and uses laughter to heal her loneliness. And reforms the jokes outside the palace, so that false and hurtful gossip isn’t used in their plays. 

Ahh, all I know is that I’m hoping for these two to be end game. The drama ends with HS remaining as king and queen have their happily ever after.

https://imgur.com/a/wDPN8CS

fellow theorists unite!!

I screenshotted this in ep 3 in the scene when the queen is given some tea to ‘help her sleep’ and it is then focused on this tea(?) box. Not sure if it’s the designs or the tea itself (like maybe it’s the same kind of drug king smokes in his pipe). Was wondering what you guys thought of this because this detail stuck out to me and I need some input!

• Like 5

I always watch it live but I'm not good at recapping stuff, but dramamilk is actually doing a live recap! 

Link for Ep 3 live recap:

https://www.dramamilk.com/the-crowned-clown-episode-3-live-recap/

AND HOORAY FOR 8.0% RATINGS! And it even peaked at 9.4%! I'm so proud and happy!

@nidcha202 Actually, the queen dowager is not really his mother. Yi Heon is the son of the king's favorite concubine and she died giving birth to Yi Heon, according to the character description. But still, I love how Haseon got Yi Heon's throwing quirks down to a tee! Hehehe

@rittoo Yes, Jingoo does change his voice in this drama. It's also been noted by netizens how when Haseon got angry asking for Shin Yi Gyum's name, he even suddenly his accent to satoori. He alters his voice depending on what role he plays. He made his voice pitch higher when he played Gwanghae in Warriors of the Dawn, as the young and unsure prince. During The Royal Gambler, his voice got deeper and his aura turned darker when he became a king in the drama. I also agree... Yi Heon's screen-time got significantly lesser this episode, though I think he will get more scenes once he slowly gets through his withdrawal. 

Haseon is such a romantic and I know I'm in for a painful ride for betting on this ship and I'm here for it! T_T @philosophie I agree.. when Haseon finally got a realization how different the queen really is in real life and how groundless his performances were. Im actually happy enough even if Haseon doesn't end up in the throne. But I'd really love for him to end up with Sowoon. 

I LOVE his relationship with the eunuch! The eunuch is the only one truly concerned for him as a fake king. Their moments together are so touching and heartfelt.

I feel so sorry for Yi Heon. It's now gotten clear how his drug abuse was all perpetuated by Shin Chisoo. I hope he gets over it and recovers his sanity.

• Like 7

Hi Chinguus! does anybody know the name of the classical music at te ending scene of ep 3? I feel like I heard it somewhere else, it might be an arrangement of a famous piece for the drama so if anybody knows the original one I'll be so thankful!!!!! It was so beautiful and fitted so well with the beautiful scenery and scene! I'm shooketh! 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

Wow Rise TCC rise :w00t::bawling::w00t:

This is fantastic!  Wonderful news for everyone involved with the drama.  Really happy for Yeo Jin Goo as he is an excellent actor but hasn't had the best luck with picking drama projects lately.  He is giving his all to the role and I'm so happy for him that his hard work is paying off :bawling:

• Like 8

So happy for YJG & the drama :blush:

The Crowned Clown] Ep 3 spoilers, Yeo Jin Goo ♥ Lee Se Young

clown.png

Article: Naver 'The Crowned Clown'  between clown Yeo Jin Goo and Lee Se Young deepens, will she abandon King Yeo Jin Goo? 

1. [+1497,-12]
I'm amazed at Yeo Jin Goo's acting. 

2. [+1203,-16]
Yeo Jin Goo is definitely the best actor in among other actors who are in the 20s... From that voice tone he's born with to his vocalizations, everything is perfect. His emotions are natural too. 

3. [+807,-10]
He's doing two different roles on his own, but both are so distinct from each other that it felt like someone else is doing it. Normally, there are characteristics overlapping when actors take on two roles, but the characters are so different from each other that he really seemed like another person. I enjoy watching Yeo Jin Goo and look forward to Mondays and Tuesdays because of that. 

4. [+566,-8]
I really like that Schubert's Serenade plays whenever the romance parts come up. ㅠㅠㅠ The directing is the best!

5. [+263,-12]
It's interesting!

6. [+155,-1]
There are no acting holes, and even though I know the story, the story developed in a way that it isn't boring. Yeo Jin Goo is taking on two different roles, so there aren't any scenes without him and he has lots of lines. But his eyes and tone changed 180 degrees, that was amazing. I thought he was a different person. 

7. [+124,-1]
I really like it. The supporting cast is perfect too. As expected, acting roles should be given to actors. 

8. [+126,-4] 
I like that they cast any idols as leads for this drama. 

9. [+115,-5]
The queen's acting is good too, and she's pretty. 

more here https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-crowned-clown-ep-3-spoilers-yeo-jin.html?m=1

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kawaiibooty said:

Hi Chinguus! does anybody know the name of the classical music at te ending scene of ep 3? I feel like I heard it somewhere else, it might be an arrangement of a famous piece for the drama so if anybody knows the original one I'll be so thankful!!!!! It was so beautiful and fitted so well with the beautiful scenery and scene! I'm shooketh! 

It's Schubert's Serenade :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, philosophie said:

fellow theorists unite!!

I screenshotted this in ep 3 in the scene when the queen is given some tea to ‘help her sleep’ and it is then focused on this tea(?) box. Not sure if it’s the designs or the tea itself (like maybe it’s the same kind of drug king smokes in his pipe). Was wondering what you guys thought of this because this detail stuck out to me and I need some input!

I've been reading over at theqoo and saw this thread. Apparently, according to the 3rd reply, it's a contraceptive. Probably why Yi Heon and Sowoon can't have an heir. :( 

New still shots for later's episode!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, rittoo said:

I only wished LH had more screen time! It's almost all HS now. The interaction between HS and the queen is both sweet and cringy for me, because HS seems to be falling in love with the queen, but she doesn't know his true identity and has been waiting for LH as he was before he was driven mad by his life. The whole thing is rather unfair to LH and the queen both tbh, even though HS really is very loveable.

I'm a little torn on LH. I think he may have been a good person with good intentions once upon a time, but the drama is currently showing him descending into paranoia and madness. And, while in hiding, instead of finding a measure of peace from the fear of assassination, he's becoming worse, not better, thinking that his dead younger brother has somehow survived and is trying to kill him now. I don't know if there is any way that he'll be able to make his way back to his throne. I think the only way that he might get more screen time versus HS who is the one having to manage the court and everyone is if LS starts having experiences which pull him out of his madness, even if temporarily.

But, I do agree with you that it's unfair to the Queen to not know that the man that she's slowly starting to build hopes about is not her childhood friend and husband, but a lookalike who is pretending to be him. I hope that she will come to know sooner rather than later so that she can choose what to do rather than continue to be misled into falling in love with her "husband" as it seems imminent. Given that they've grown up together, one would think that she would know that HS wasn't LH, however, LH has been growing farther and farther away from her. It feels as if LH used to be more like HS in the way that he would watch out for SW at least, so I can excuse her for not having any suspicions yet that "LH" isn't acting like his more recent self, but more like the childhood friend he used to be.

Btw, both as LH and as HS, YJG is totally killing it. I catch myself believing that they are two people rather than a single actor in 2 different characters. :)

• Like 12

A post in theqoo taking note of Haseon's tears. The way he cried in front of Yi Kyu is different to the way he cried in front of his sister Dallae. 

InIFnA4nQf.gif

VUfEs70wE6.gif

One comment said how in front of Yi Kyu his tears had rage, while in front of Dallae the way he cried had sadness and a sense of feeling sorry.

T_T

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Haven't watched episode 3 yet, but just wondering, did LH and Soo Won consummate their marriage? Judging from episode 1 how SW avoided LH's intimate advances. I wonder what happened to their relationship to what it has become now.

Oooohhh..is it safe to ship HS and SW as early as now?..ha ha..LH and SW is quite a good pair too but I guess I'm leaning towards HS and SW. I just hope they can have a happy ending though. Just the thought of what will come gives me chills! There's gonna be some angst but some fluffy fluffy stuff too, I hope! :wub:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I'm a little torn on LH. I think he may have been a good person with good intentions once upon a time, but the drama is currently showing him descending into paranoia and madness. And, while in hiding, instead of finding a measure of peace from the fear of assassination, he's becoming worse, not better, thinking that his dead younger brother has somehow survived and is trying to kill him now. I don't know if there is any way that he'll be able to make his way back to his throne. I think the only way that he might get more screen time versus HS who is the one having to manage the court and everyone is if LS starts having experiences which pull him out of his madness, even if temporarily.

I know what you mean and I fear that he will not improve significantly over the course of the drama. We all know how Gwanghae ended up in history, dethroned and one of only two kings in Joseon history to not have been honored as a king after his death because of how disliked he was by his court and his people. Of course as this is a drama that does not claim to stick to history there is a chance that he might redeem himself and instead of dying he would then actually escape to live a peaceful life, but I don't see much hope for that, because for such a thing to happen to a main character there cannot be another, even more important and loveable character in the drama (HS), they will probably be put into comparison all through the drama and if anything HS would be the one who gets to escape and live a peaceful life after having gotten involved in the dangers and intrigues of politics.

About his fear of his dead brother though, I think that's more because of his opium addiction and his withdrawal. LH did seem like he was intelligent and able of love and now he seems like a completely mad person. I guess being in withdrawal can actually do that to a person so I'm hoping for him to recover somewhat. 

I feel really bad for LH, he was destroyed by his environment and barely has any chance of going back to be the person he used to be. It's not greed that's fuelling him but rather rejection and hatred that he'd been submitted to for an extended period of time. I don't see him getting out of that spiral and that makes me sad. Also the fact that the queen is falling for HS. I expect she will find out eventually and be shocked and angry but get around, I don't think she will decide to be loyal to LH in the end but will side with HS. She and LH used to love each other, and as of now still do, even though they have stopped being able to communicate their feelings in a way that is understandable to the other. What a tragedy.

11 hours ago, circulate9oo said:

It's Schubert's Serenade :D

This actually confuses me because it was used in another very famous drama that I watched many years ago! It keeps reminding me of that drama, might have been Winter Sonata lol

Edited by triplem
Please do not post consecutively within an hour. Edit to add.
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Haven't watched episode 3 yet, but just wondering, did LH and Soo Won consummate their marriage? Judging from episode 1 how SW avoided LH's intimate advances. I wonder what happened to their relationship to what it has become now.

Nothing like that has ever been addressed outright but there was something that LH said in eps 1 that implies that possibility . He was very angry after the concubine tried to throw herself on him and he discovered the talisman. He barged into SW's chambers and said these lines to her:

- One throws herself at me with a hidden talisman to have a son. Why do you not do anything?You should buy talismans or hire a shaman. If that does not work , you should beg me to build a temple to offer rice too -

So what do you all think about it ? Does it mean they have consumated the marriage but still childless ? Or  never ever consummated their marriage?

----------------------------

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

At this point , given how much development HS has in the story, I don't have much emotional investment in LH's character. His mental state leaves me wondering if he could ever properly rule the country. Plus once you are hook on something like opium, it is very tough to break free from it. 

I really enjoyed eps 3 - from the confrontation of the ED to the hunt to that final sweet scene of them making wishes at the pond. But I know that it will be a matter of time that HS's cover will be blown. And I know it will break SW's heart to find out that HS is not the king. 

-----------------

And of course it doesn't help that TVN keeps giving us these sweet scenes of them together...first vid was so darn sweet..he kept kicking away the rocks so that she  didn't have to step on them

Gosh look at the sweet smile they give to each other ...sniff..he realises  he cannot fall for her  since he isn't really the king is he? 

I will sink with this ship.....:heartbreak: ,  Isn't this pretty @Jillia:D

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Preview

Edited by triplem
  • Like 9
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Nothing like that has ever been addressed outright but there was something that LH said in eps 1 that implies that possibility . He was very angry after the concubine tried to throw herself on him and he discovered the talisman. He barged into SW's chambers and said these lines to her:

- One throws herself at me with a hidden talisman to have a son. Why do you not do anything?You should buy talismans or hire a shaman. If that does not work , you should beg me to build a temple to offer rice too -

So what do you all think about it ? Does it mean they have consumated the marriage but still childless ? Or  never ever consummated their marriage?

And of course it doesn't help that TVN keeps giving us these sweet scenes of them together...first vid was so darn sweet..he kept kicking away the rocks so that she  didn't have to step on them

Gosh look at the sweet smile they give to each other ...sniff..he realises  he cannot fall for her  since he isn't really the king is he? 

I will sink with this ship.....:heartbreak: ,  Isn't this pretty @Jillia:D

I'm sorry to cut your post, @triplem. :D And this is also a reply to @stroppyse. :D

It was never addressed in the drama but I think they consummated their marriage. When they get married as children they wait until proper age for the marriage to be consummated. I think if this was an issue in the drama they would've addressed it. From what I understand the problem in the drama is that So Woon distanced herself from her husband and apparently for a long while now is not seeking his attention or doesn't want him to visit her to actually get her pregnant with a son, so to speak. That's why she is the one who is actually rejecting him. Because clearly Lee Hun desires So Woon still.

I feel like so far the drama isn't doing a good job to actually show that Lee Hun is redeemable. I understand someone who is addicted, it is difficult to choose the right path, a path without drugs. I think he would see clearly... far away from the court and the paranoia and the drugs and could become a better person.

Let's say even IF Lee Hun and So Woon wouldn't end up together, still there could be a way for him to become the good King Lee Kyu is seeing in him.

Again I find a plot in which Lee Hun is replaced by Ha Seon rather easy. I don't want easy. But in the end I enjoy the drama way too much to complain. And it's only 4 episodes in, so I just wait and see.

I think I can only ship Ha Seon and So Woon if the truth is coming out quickly. It's so unfair to So Woon who believes her husband went through some magical transformation. :)

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I'm sorry to cut your post, @triplem. :D And this is also a reply to @stroppyse. :D

It was never addressed in the drama but I think they consummated their marriage. When they get married as children they wait until proper age for the marriage to be consummated. I think if this was an issue in the drama they would've addressed it. From what I understand the problem in the drama is that So Woon distanced herself from her husband and apparently for a long while now is not seeking his attention or doesn't want him to visit her to actually get her pregnant with a son, so to speak. That's why she is the one who is actually rejecting him. Because clearly Lee Hun desires So Woon still.

I feel like so far the drama isn't doing a good job to actually show that Lee Hun is redeemable. I understand someone who is addicted, it is difficult to choose the right path, a path without drugs. I think he would see clearly... far away from the court and the paranoia and the drugs and could become a better person.

Let's say even IF Lee Hun and So Woon wouldn't end up together, still there could be a way for him to become the good King Lee Kyu is seeing in him.

Again I find a plot in which Lee Hun is replaced by Ha Seon rather easy. I don't want easy. But in the end I enjoy the drama way too much to complain. And it's only 4 episodes in, so I just wait and see.

I think I can only ship Ha Seon and So Woon if the truth is coming out quickly. It's so unfair to So Woon who believes her husband went through some magical transformation. :)

Spoiler

If they follow the movie HS leaves after he was offered to replace king. And apparently king tried to kill him in the end too but he escaped... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I hesitate to offer this since my sageuk speak is relatively weak, but here is a translation of the preview anyway, plus some comments.

Lee Kyu(?): Though you’ve taken the long way around, the time has now come.
So Woon: There is no way for me to hide it, the reason my heart is trembling as it is.
Lee Kyu: The world that the Elder and the Gaewon had dreamt of, it’s time to try to make it again.
Ha Seon: If we had received it as rice from the first, how good that would have been.
Man: Having the talent of the secret method, there is one person.
Lee Kyu: Will you work with me?
Ha Seon: I had thought too lightly of the work that the king has to do.
Lee Kyu: The Minister should step down from your position.
Man: To have a good time viewing the next world is what he asked me to convey.

Still getting used to voices as well, so not sure I got all the voices right, and some of the voices I just used generic identifiers.

Anyway, from the preview, it seems as if SW is going to make a move on the man she thinks is her hubby, the King. I really hope that she gets clued in about HS soon, rather than causing her more heartache, either by being rejected by the "King" or by being allowed to fall in love with someone who isn't who she thinks it is.

Lee Kyu also seems to have some ideas of creating a better country, and may use HS' time on the throne to bring it about, it seems. Not sure who the talented man that he offers to work with him or else is, but looks as if there is something to do with money. He seems to be challenging Shin Chi Soo to step down from his position, which makes me wonder about the last line in the preview which may have been said by an assassin who stabs LK. Hope it's not fatal.

As for HS, he is learning how difficult it is to be king and how much a king should know in order to rule a country properly. Though speaking of which, how many world leaders even in the real world really are able to do that. (Yes, I'm in a bit of a bitter mode.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, triplem said:

I would like to think they haven’t consummated yet so that HS can be her first ;) :P but my theory is the formerl they have consummated but she couldn’t conceive because of court lady’s witch craft and poisoning/birth control.

• LOL 8