Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

"The Crowned Clown" Ep 2 spoilers, Yeo Jin Goo x Lee Se Young

king.png

Article: Naver 'The Crowned Clown' Yeo Jin Goo lets go of Lee Se Young's hands and runs away → returns to the palace to take revenge on Gwang Hae Hyo and his son  

1. [+1390,-15]
Yeo Jin Goo is really good at acting... Gwang Dae's [t/n: performer/clown]sloppiness in the future may be able to take care of the people better than Gwang Hae does [t/n: King's name].. The experience accumulated from when he was acting as a child is amazing.. He's not acting as the real King, but as a fake King, with his foolish acting. It was different from yesterday. Anyway, his acting is amazing. Fighting, Yeo Jin Goo. I really like Eunuch Jo. 

2. [+939,-17]
At the last scene, I was confused if he's the real King or the fake King. Even Kim Sang Kyung was fooled by it for a moment. 

3. [+655,-16]
When he hugged his sister and trembled, even his facial muscles were trembling. It feels like a new master of acting is born. ♥ I can only say that his acting is crazy~ The master of acting who can only leave others amazed. ♥

4. [+566,-11]
Yeo Jin Goo's acting is really good. He did well portraying 2 different roles. I think he fits sageuk dramas well. 

5. [+308,-9]
Yeo Jin Goo's acting is good. This is his life character. 

6. [+195,-3]
Lee Byung Hun's famous for his acting, and the story is already known, so it might be too predictable, but I was able to concentrate on the drama because of Yeo Jin Goo showing his new charm and Lee Se Young's stable acting. It's interesting. I'm looking forward to the next episode. 

7. [+177,-2]
Lee Se Young's acting is good and stable too. 

8. [+147,-1]
I laughed so much when Eunuch Jo turned around and touched the knot near the windows while pretending he doesn't know anything today. He's so cute. 

king2.png

Article: Naver 'The Crowned Clown' Clown Yeo Jin Goo  transforms into a King.. begins his life in the palace!  

1. [+952,-9]
Been a while since Yeo Jin Goo's life drama is born. 

2. [+477,-4]
His acting is really good. 

3. [+332,-6]
I've watched the movie, so I thought it would be boring, but it's interesting~~ To add, their acting skills.. the cast matches their characters well. 

4. [+217,-0]
It's so interesting. He grew up well. He did. 

5. [+110,-3]
Clown Yeo Jin Goo's life in the palace. I'm cheering for him. 

6. [+77,-0]
No, but this is really crazy. Yeo Jin Goo, you're an acting genius. He does well in all kinds of acting. But at that age, it's impossible for him to have those eyes and aura around him. He matches the character so well. This can't be done well without Yeo Jin Goo... 

7. [+74,-0]
Today's episode is more interesting. Yeo Jin Goo's acting is really good. 

8. [+62,-0]
The speed of the development is fast and it's interesting. 

9. [+51,-0]
Yeo Jin Goo's acting is crazy. I had goosebumps. 

cr

• Like 8

4 hours ago, dramaninja said:

I wait until this one  ends these type of dramas give me such anxiety. :fearful:

Oh no. :( Please join the discussion it will be less scary if we support eachother throughout the drama run. :D

• Like 2

10 hours ago, triplem said:

Thanks for the historical context . I just want to clarify something - so the reason why the father did not favour him was because he was the Son of a concubine ? So he was suppose to be  a temporary crown prince till the little Brother grew up ? 

The main reason was that Gwanghae had already acted as king in his absence, through his flight before the war the old king lost a lot respect and constantly felt threatened by Gwanghae. This should have been enough for Gwanghae to be killed, please put things into relation as this is the story of an old monarchy where the "family members" often didn't even know each other very well and had to kill or be killed by each other to survive, it is no loving family or anything of the like, more a group of people fighting for power as soon as they were old enough to think for themselves.

And the fact he was only the second son of a concubine made him objectively worthless.

Gwanghae was made crown prince so hastily there was probably no plan behind it at all, the king only wanted to flee and needed some kind of solution for his country while he was gone. Afterwards when he's hated Gwanghae for years and gotten a legitimate son, he did say those words to Gwanghae, but he didn't immediately change crown prince and then suddenly died.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The musical piece that they play in the background whenever HS (Clown) interacts with SW (Queen) has been bugging me.  It is clearly NOT Asian and it's very familiar.  After searching, I have found it.  It's Schubert's Standchen (Serenade).  Fitting.  The Clown is serenading his Queen.  :) With hazelnuts.  And promises of wishes.  :wub:.

42 minutes ago, rittoo said:

Gwanghae was made crown prince so hastily there was probably no plan behind it at all, the king only wanted to flee and needed some kind of solution for his country while he was gone. Afterwards when he's hated Gwanghae for years and gotten a legitimate son, he did say those words to Gwanghae, but he didn't immediately change crown prince and then suddenly died.

So essentially if the writer follows this historical tidbit, Gwanghae has taken a leaf out of his father's book and done the same thing?  By running away fearful of his life and having the Clown stand in his stead?  History repeating itself?  The fact that he is drug fuelled (courtesy of the opiate pipe) makes him even more unpredictable and paranoid.  HS followed in his wake and ran away too fearful of his life but he returned knowing full well the consequences of it to seek vindication for his wronged Sister.  I am rather perturbed by how quickly the plot is moving along and frankly I want a little stability in terms of characters.  The side characters are being introduced and disposed off so quickly that it makes me scared to get overly invested in any of them.  The poor court maid GaeHan (?) - I barely got to catch her name before poison snuffs her out.  I am even scared HS's Sister will be next in line to go?  :huh:

Did you see how HS read the royal edict about the fate of his Father-in-law upside down?  Not once but twice?  He turned the Royal decree 'upside down', sparing him instead of beheading him like the Gwanghae wanted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Did you see how HS read the royal edict about the fate of his Father-in-law upside down?  Not once but twice?  He turned the Royal decree 'upside down', sparing him instead of beheading him like the Gwanghae wanted.

The king's name in this adaptation is Yi Heon 이헌 and not Gwanghae (aka Yi Hon 이혼). They changed the characters to be completely fictional (but perhaps still taking some inspiration from history). :D But wow, good catch. I merely thought of it as a funny tidbit as he's uneducated, but that actually makes sense too. 

I have read that the description for Haseon's past is that him and his sister's parents died from starvation before being adopted by Gapsoo with the rest of the clown troupe. But I'm kinda curious if there's more to his background.

I just read this off theqoo, but apparently when Haseon was asking for the name of the person who abused his sister, when he got mad and shouted, his accent turned to satoori, which is a fantastic attention to detail in acting on Yeo Jin Goo's part. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"You said you could do anything if I were with you."

So the King was once a nice guy? (when he was Crown Prince)

I really wish he can go back to being that version of himself :(

And the Queen...her heart is gonna be so broken when she finds out the truth :heartbreak:

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, circulate9oo said:

The king's name in this adaptation is Yi Heon 이헌 and not Gwanghae (aka Yi Hon 이혼). They changed the characters to be completely fictional (but perhaps still taking some inspiration from history).

Ahh...I just thought it was a name change as in he was Crown Prince YiHon but after coronation he became King Gwanghae... Like how sometimes royalty take on new names after significant events in their lives?  Thanks for clearing that up.  Henceforth he will be referred to as YiHon or LeeHon. :)

• Like 5

I hope HS doesnt "turn evil". I was hoping he seeking "the third way" but not the way to step on others. Maybe he finds that later on? 

• Like 5

I think the drama always states in the beginning of each episode that all the characters are fiction. :) So we don't need to worry much about historical accuracy. :D 

I have a lot to say about this drama and will do so as soon as I have time at hand. But I enjoyed the first two episodes very much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this drama; it's really good

it's sure we accept Jin Go's acting is perfect; longtimes after The Moon the sun ;

this is the best character he chose; I don't want talking about his movies, they are goods.

but there's another thing I love in this drama is they use " Sérénade" as the soundtract !

I already watched the movie, don't know they change the scripte or not

bc in the movie; the clown went away and left the queen in the palace !

• Like 6

The first part of the second episode was really funny, the second part not so much.

*Negative opinion here so please feel free to ignore me*

Spoiler

What they did to Ha Sun's sister wasn't necessary at all and I'm disappointed. I'm not against adding things that weren't in the movie but not this kind of thing. I might sound angry, and sensitive but I'm just disappointed by that :(. I'm still going to watch the remaining episodes because the drama is still gorgeous, I like the music, and I love Kim Sang Kyung in this role, I'm interested in seeing where the romance will go too. But I'm going to be wary from now on. I wanted a darker drama but if it's just to give angst to the main character I'm sure there were other ways to do it.

From now on I'll concentrate on the things I like in the drama, and I won't dwell on the things I don't like. 

• Like 5

Finished watching the two episodes. And so I think I'm gonna be dropping here when I have something to say about the drama^^. This is my sageuk drama after Love in the Moonlight.

So far, I enjoyed the two episodes, even though one episode is almost 80 mins, I feel like i'ts moving way too fast. And I'm quite surprised that within just two episodes, it's quite dark. Not that I don't like it but such scenes as killing his younger brother was too painful to watch. I mean, how can they possibly think that such a young kid could even possibly think of treason, or just because the grandfather was the one accused, that all members of his family are considered traitors as well? Or, the King is just finding an excuse to finally get rid of them? I hope they show some backstory of the royal family as well, did the King never really love his younger brother?

I also wonder if Ha Sun will go the dark path, now that he has a reason to use the power that was bestowed to him. I hope not. One mad king is enough. I hope they maintain his clown persona until the end, even though it will not gonna be a smooth one, that he will stay righteous and be a better king than the real one. I really like Episode 2 because there is that comic relief about Ha Sun. I hope that remains. And that this one will have a happy ending.

So, is there gonna be a love triangle here perhaps? Between Lee Yun, Ha Sun and Soo Won? I'm looking forward to seeing Soo Won falling for the clown king, I believe Ha Sun will somehow make her smile, coz based on this teaser, it seems Ha Sun will bring some light into her life. It seems like she is not really happy in the palace at all, judging by how she always look so sad. And also where she says, "And finally, I have fallen in love with you, Your Highness". Soo excited on the romance part...ke ke ke.

As some have pointed out, it seems we don't know much yet about Ha Sun's backstory as well, and there is still that possibility that he might be of royal blood. I'm also curious about Kim Sang Kyung's character, he seems really loyal to the king, but will he also be loyal to Ha Sun if he shows him that he will be a better king? He seems to care about the king, and yet couldn't do anything to stop him from killing anyone. Where will his loyalty lie then? Woooh, I always love things like loyalty in a drama, always brings tears to my eyes :D. I'm glad that Eunuch Jo is not a villain in here, ha ha..have watched too many dramas where he was a villain so good to see him in a lighter role here. He was also a eunuch in Love in the Moonlight...lol.

I guess too many question yet to be answered, and because of these, I think I'm sticking around. I plan to watch it while it's ongoing because when I wait until all episodes are out, I still have a habit of starting but not finishing, so...ha ha. 

Hello to y'all, chingus. And looking forward to your insightful reviews and opinions :blush:

P.S. I hope someone cn sub this..they're too adorable here..all their answers are the same ^_^.

• Like 5

The Crowned Clown – Season 1 Episode 2 Impressions

Don’t Eat The Same Food Twice

The second episode of The Crowned Clown wastes no time picking up where it left off as we return to the throne room with Ha Sun and Lee Hun. After switching places, the real King takes off and leaves Ha Sun in his stead. With enemies all around and the inexperienced boy in way over his head, the second episode takes on a much more comedic tone for large stretches of the episode as Ha Sun desperately tries to fit in to his newfound role. The smiles and humour is replaced by shock and anger late on though as a major plot development shakes this innocent man to his core, promising a vengeful, angry Ha Sun going forward.

The opening 20 minutes or so of this episode are so far removed from the tone of the first episode, it almost seems unfathomable that this is the same show. These early segments see Ha Sun, with the help of the King’s trusted advisors, navigating a treacherous sea of politically dangerous waters. This results in some particularly amusing segments, including Ha Sun attempting to hide his emotions in public and visibly yawning during a lengthy speech. All of this builds toward a crucial moment where he first lays eyes on the Queen, So-Woon. After Lee Hun sentenced her father to death in the last episode, Ha Sun promises the Queen to reverse this decision, much to the disdain of his advisors. What follows is a crucial and defining moment in this story as word reaches the palace from none other than Lee Hun himself that So-Woon’s father is to be executed. Unfortunately, Ha Sun has other ideas and isn’t ready to break his promise just yet.

This decision to overturn Lee Hun’s wishes causes shockwaves to ripple throughout the palace as the various faces, including the villainous Left State Minister, begin to question the King’s motives and just what he knows that they don’t. Unbeknownst to them, Ha Sun’s affection toward So-Woon sets them both on a fated path as their romance begins to blossom. This leads to the final third of the episode where things take a very dark and shocking turn. After being warned that assassinations are a constant threat for the King, Ha Sun witnesses this firsthand, with the consequences causing him to flee the palace and return to his Clown troupe.

In doing so, things turn from bad to worse as Dal-Rae’s earlier run in with a shady individual bears a horrific truth for Ha Sun to deal with. To add salt to an open wound, it turns out this man has ties with the Left State Minister himself, Shin-Chi Soo. The final scenes of the episode see a bitter and angry Ha Sun return to the palace, confronting Lee Kyu about his fate and making a bold promise regarding his future.

Much like the first episode, The Crowned Clown packs an awful lot into its 85 minute run time but a combination of impressive camera work and excellent acting help this Korean historical drama really stand out. Yeo Jin-Goo is absolutely sublime in his role. The subtle mannerisms, the behaviour and even simple things like the walk or linguistic choices for dialogue combine to make for a tour de force in acting. It’s pulled off so well that even mild facial expressions can be used to distinguish the two characters. Thankfully, the rest of the cast are just as impressive in their roles with Kim Sang-Kyun playing his reserved mannerisms really well and So-Woon starting to assert herself as an equal for Ha Sun.

Despite a whole load of characterisation and plot development, The Crowned Clown never loses sight of its general aesthetic which remains beautifully presented. Some of the camera work and general composition is so well-developed here that it really brings the most out of every scene. All of this while serenading us with a wicked blend of classical chimes and string-heavy segments that help to raise the tension in every scene. It’s a great choice too and something that only further reinforces the work done with the overall design of the show.

The Crowned Clown is fast becoming a must-see drama in 2019. While the second episode introduces more humour and a playful side to the series during the first half, the second half kicks us back into the dark, dramatic underbelly of this Korean drama. A great use of colour and a terrific dual performance from Yeo Jin-Goo helps the show stand out too and the tantalizing ending we receive here bodes a really intriguing notion going forward. 

Source http://www.thereviewgeek.com/crownedclown-s1e2impressions/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5