Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

I have to work these days, so I can't watch it live. Can't wait to be home and watch it. :D Only reading positive reactions. 

• Like 4

[The Crowned Clown] PILOT Ep 1 spoilers, Yeo Jin Goo x Lee Se Young + Cameo Jang Hyuk

clown.png

Article: Naver 'The Crowned Clown' King Yeo Jin Goo meets Performer Yeo Jin Goo who's like his twin 'appalled' 

1. [+1220,-24]
Looks like this is based on 'Masquerade'. The supporting actors have great acting skills. Wow, this keeps the other dramas in check. It's awesome. People will start talking about it. Yeo Jin Goo's acting is great. He grew up well.. And Jang Young Nam-ssi, Jung Hye Young-ssi, Kim Sang Kyung-ssi. Jang Hyuk-ssi was a special appearance. I hope this becomes a hit. 1 person with 2 roles. 

2. [+778,-16]
This is really interesting. Yeo Jin Goo's acting is so good. ㅠㅠ

3. [+609,-8]
Yeo Jin Goo's acting is daebak.... I was amazed the whole time. 

4. [+369,-10]
The child actors have great acting skills. Actor Jin Goo and Actress Se Young. 

5. [+256,-5]
This is so interesting. Yeo Jin Goo does well, as expected~

6. [+128,-5]
As expected of Yeo Jin Goo... I was worried if he could be able to live up to Lee Byung Hun's acting. But he did better than expected. His acting is good!

7. [+124,-2]
Yeo Jin Goo took up male lead roles in a modern dramas, but he's lacking somehow, and I couldn't feel his charisma. But he shines when he does sageuk. He's an amazing actor. Fighting. The Queen, Se Young is really pretty too. 

8. [+94,-0]
Wow~~ Yeo Jin Goo's acting is no joke~~!! His voice is good, he's much better acting with his eyes than before, I'm really looking forward to this~ In the middle of that, the concubine's acting is really bad~

9. [+76,-2]
Yeo Jin Goo's acting is insane!! I was totally immersed in the drama because of him... I've decided to watch you on Mondays and Tuesdays!!!

10. [+74,-2]
I was really worried because this is a remake of a movie that was really popular............ But after watching episode 1, my worries are completely gone....... The actors' acting are perfect. It's to the point that I don't even think about the movie. It may be a little boring because people already know what's going to happen, but this isn't boring at all. And Yeo Jin Goo. I've said everything..... This is daebak. Just daebak

crown.png

Article: Naver 'The Crowned Clown' Jang Hyuk grabs Yeo Jin Goo by the collar and dies, "I'll be watching" 

1. [+842,-17]
Yeo Jin Goo isn't just good at acting for his age, but he's just good at it... He has the power to dominate the show.

2. [+564,-20]
Yeo Jin Goo's acting is really good. 

3. [+373,-4]
Jang Hyuk-ssi made a special appearance because he knows the director from Money Flower. 

4. [+307,-23]
Yeo Jin Goo's acting is insane.... He's handsome too..... 

5. [+162,-12]
Wow, his acting is crazy. 

6. [+48,-0]
Jang Hyuk who lives up to his name made a special appearance, but it was impactful. 

7. [+38,-0]
As expected of Jang Hyuk. 

8. [+38,-1]
Jang Hyuk's presence. 

9. [+36,-0]
I'd like to see Jang Hyuk as a King in a saguek drama... It was short, but left a deep impression on me. I'd like to watch it longer.. He fits a King's role well.

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-crowned-clown-pilot-ep-1-spoilers.html?m=1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Oh. my. God. This was amazing. 

Just watched the first episode and couldn't be happier. Then I watched the preview for ep2 and now I feel like I want to jump up and down in exitement. 

This is the first drama in a long time starring Yeo Jingoo that I've liked (so far), and I've always thought he was the best actor ever! since he was 12 or so. 

Anyways I loved the clothes (this is surprisingly important for creating a certain feeling in dramas and movies), the acting (superb! somehow I had felt YJG's become rather stiff over the last 3 years or so), the lighting, the setup, the moods...

I love the fact that my favourite badass (is this word allowed?) queen mother is queen mother again in this drama, I even like the gisaeng who helped them at the brothel. I like the actress for the queen because I liked her in The Best Hit (although she's become slightly more round...) and that one guy who seemed to be creeping on Hasun's sister looked as if he would become important later. 

It's funny to see YJG play Kwanghae twice in such a short time and very different interpretation, but I like it.

From the preview for ep2 it seems that this drama will not only continue to be dramatic and intense but also funny and romantic. If that's true and they can keep it up then this will be one of the best dramas ever.

• Like 10

Does anybody want a short recap?

Spoiler

The episode starts with Kwanghae's father on his death bed. As we all know (?) they've had a horrible relationship. When the Japanese invaded Korea the king fled to China, believing his country to be lost, and left his son Kwanghae who he didn't even like like as surrogate king to fend for himselfs. Details see Daeribgun (...). The war went for a long time and when it was finally over because the Japanese General died he finally returned to Korea and resumed being king, but was henceforth always suspicting his son of wanting to overthrow him, since Kwanghae had already been king for a period of time.

Anyways he's on his deathbed, and his younger son looks about 6 and is crying inconsolably at his side. He says to his younger son "I'm so sorry and sad that I have to leave and cannot see you growing up.". Then he calls up Kwanghae (the younger son goes to the back of the room) and says to him "I'm so angry and full of regret that I should leave my throne I had fought for to you (insert insults and humiliation), swear to me that you will care for your younger brother (insert why the brother is so much better than he is)." Kwanghae looks stoic and says softly "this is not how you should say it, you should beg me on your knees, father". His father grabs him and sits up in rage, looking like he wants to bite his head off but doesn't manage and dies. Kwanghae puts his now dead father down again on the mattress, his expression unchanged, but tears are running down his face (I think they are more of rage and disappointment than anything). The younger boy runs up again realizing his father is dead and weeps, he grabs his brother as if for support, but Kwanghae takes his hand out of his brother's grasp.

Next we see a group of clowns performing for a rich person who booked them for entertainment, they talk about how cruel the new king is.

Switch to the new king being cruel, it seemed like he's framing his brother's mother's family for high treason, or his ministers (especially one of them) are manipulating him to, probably both. The evil minister arrives at the home of the queen dowager's father, who was accused of high treason by somebody they've tortured and before the man could end his speech about how he would prove his innocence once he's in front of the king, he's killed on the spot.

Next we see people taking the younger prince away from his mother who tries to stop them but fails. The court discusses heatedly whether it is probable at all that the young prince would try to usurp the throne and whether punishing him would negatively affec the king's reputation. The evil minister insists that he must be punished.

Kwanghae goes to see the child who runs up to him and hugs him, seemingly still expecting affection from his older brother. He is then told that he has to be send away for a time but if he's a good child and eats well, Kwanghae will come for him and take him home. Next we see him eat very well, there is poison in his food, the young prince dies.

We go back to the clowns who have finished their story, but the rich person refuses to pay them. They should be glad they weren't thrown into prison for ridiculing the king. Ha Sun is very angry and jumps over the fence of that guy later to steal some expensive fish and smash a few pots. They run and eat the fish. Then Ha Sun's father? uncle? realizes that he has destroyed the rich man's property and they wouldn't be able to perfom anywhere in the vicinity, Ha Sun then says who cares and let's just go to Hanyang (the capital) and make good money there.

Meanwhile Kwanghae is having nightmares about his dead brother coming to ask him why he has murdered him, it looks like he is given opium? to smoke by a evil looking court woman. He wakes up terrified, but then realizes there are actually people running around his room trying to get in and assassinate him. Presumably because he notices fast enough they manage to trap the assassins and imprison one of them. Another one who does not die immediately in the fight insults Kwanghae and is killed by him in his rage. Kwanghae tells a minister he seems to trust that he must find a way to protect him no matter what, he looks like he desperately needs assurance.

The clowns have arrived at the capital now, they want to play in a luxious looking brothel. Ha Sun goes to beg the owner that they be allowed to do so and one nice gisaeng laughs at him and tells him no one wants to hear stories about the king, stories about the fight between the queen and the king's concubine are much more interesting.

Cut to the queen and said concubine. The queen gives the concubine a nice looking hair pin, the concubine doesn't seem too pleased or friendly. Later on we see that she is the daughter of evil minister, who is favoured by the king, and looks down on the queen. Evil minister gives her a charm to keep with her on the night of consummation and tells her the only thing that matters is that she gets pregnant with a son, for which the charm is important.

The king then dines with the concubine, he sees her wearing a little ornament and asks about it, she lies and says it's from the queen who wishes she would serve the king well and that it is also the queen who sent them the food on the table. Kwanghae goes into a rage and rips the ornament from her, inside he sees the charm and immediately knows what it is. He tears it into pieces, saying he wants only children from a queen, kicks and screams at her and storms off...

... to the queen's chambers. He questions her how she can be so calm when she knows he has been with another woman and why she isn't doing everything in her might including shamanism to wish for a child with him. She tells him that she would do that if he so wishes but it's unbecoming of a king (or a queen) to do such things. He's really angry and disappointed. She then proceeds to tell him he should be a good king and listen to his people and so on and so forth. All extremely correct things. But not what he wants to hear. He tries to kiss her and she turns away. He then says "people who want me gone probably think I've been cold to you, but it is you who are cold to me" and leaves. The queen does look upset about this.

The queen's father who's the nice minister and the minister the king wants to protect him try to tell the king that the evil minister has been horting money that doesn't belong to him, the king doesn't want to hear it, says that every minister has done some thing that could be punished. He finally questions evil minister but the old man tells him that he's only doing it for Kwanghae seeing as how he's have to live outside the palace for such a long time now because of the last Japanese invasio and it's unbecoming, he's collecting money to restore the old palace so that the court can move back. The king is moved and wants to promote him again.

Then the two good guys hear from the assassin they've caught that it was the evil minister who instigated the assassination. The assassin promises to say this also in front of Kwanghae. Next day they bring him in front of the king and the assassin points to the good minister as the responsible one, he is thrown into prison. The queen begs Kwanghae to trust her father and Kwanghae doesn't want to. He seems to know that the accusation is probably not true but thinks he was trying to manipulate him which is also unforgivable in his eyes. The queen then says if you want to punish my father then you must also punish me. Kwanghae is super mad again and tells her to never threaten him (with leaving him). Actually I forgot to say that the evil looking court woman with the opium thing is spying on the king for the evil minister and he thought if he could get the king to believe the queen's father wanted to usurp the throne then his niece would be queen and allowed to have a child with the king.

The only left good minister is super depressed and tries to get drunk in the luxurious brothel. While there he overhears the clowns performing a play about how jealous and horrible the queen is, this seems to be "common knowledge". He gets super mad and goes at Ha Sun, tears his mask off, then almost gets a heart attack when he sees his face. He then tells the nice gisaeng to lock Ha Sun up. They all think he's super serious and wants to send him to prison, but actually he thinks he's found a way to make the king happier and safer. After he tells Kwanghae (who has had another fit of rage at the court women who cook for him, believing there to be poison in his food), they bring Ha Sun into the palace. Only the minister, the king and Ha Sun are in the throne room. Both Kwanghae and Ha Sun are shocked at the similarity of their faces. Kwanghae makes Ha Sun put on his hat and kingly robe and speak after him, Ha Sun looks exactly like him. Kwanghae laughs maniacally. 

The End.

(btw just to explain the son by the queen thing: concubines do not have the same status as wives or queens, they are more like slaves, though concubines of kings and emperors live better than most slave owners, and there is a chance of them becoming a wife or queen should the respective person die or be kicked out for some reason, but their status is very very different. Children by the main wife are considered more valuable and legitimate and the rightful heirs. One of the problems Kwanghae had with his own father was that he wasn't born by the queen, so he was a second rate child. The evil minister believes him to care for such things more than one would expect, just like his late father did. But I think he just loves his queen but doesn't know how to show it, also she is very serious and always trying to do the right thing and he thinks she doesn't love him (for example a woman who comports herself well as would be expected of a queen is not supposed to show jealousy towards her husbands concubines should she herself be unable to get pregnant fast enough, in fact she should rightfully be the one to organize other women to be brought into the household so that the line of her husband won't die out, so the queen was behaving perfectly).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

@rittooI agree; he was always great but his drama choices haven't really done him justice- circle was good but that's it in recent memory. This drama could be huge for him; hope it stays amazing and the great cast (and PD) get a lot of deserved attention. 

I have a bad feeling about the creepy guy from the gisaeng house :(

• Like 7

JinGoo looked really gaunt and tired in the PressCon.  I hope he's looking after himself.  When you play 2 parts it's doubly hard because you're in nearly every scene.  It's tiring mentally and physically :mellow:

I am glad it's taken off and seems to be well received from the comments. Will wait for subs.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Berou said:

Jang Hyuk-ssi was a special appearance. I hope this becomes a hit. 1 person with 2 roles. 

@Berou  Wow in just that short scene JH performance was amazing.. He never miss his role I would love to see a drama were he plays the King.. 

On to YJG.. Brillant and Execellent performance by this young actor.. He has grown up on the screne and you can see how he has also evolved in his acting.. I was amazed to see him perform so well in just this first episode playing the dual role..

So we have the court maid giving him opium and he's hullcinating about his younger dead brother which he may have order to feed him poision.. 

This one has started off on the right track it's not a dull moment in the first episode and looking forward to the rest of this drama.. If YJG keeps up his awesome work he'll be in for a lot of awards in his role of the crowned clown.. I just hope they don't kill him in the end. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spark101 said:

@rittooI agree; he was always great but his drama choices haven't really done him justice- circle was good but that's it in recent memory. This drama could be huge for him; hope it stays amazing and the great cast (and PD) get a lot of deserved attention. 

I have a bad feeling about the creepy guy from the gisaeng house :(

Personally I had the feeling that he became self conscious at a certain age as opposed to childish carefreeness,which made him stiff. Especially in Circle I thought he almost always looked sad and disbelieving (there is even a running gag in Chinese fandom about another actor who was dubbed sad and disbelieving because of his awkward acting) and I hated it because I knew he was able of incredibly layered acting. It's very refreshing to see that side of him again.

One of the things I think he does remarkably well is that he can cry and have a complete dissociated facial expression, not even his voice would waver. It was so impressive in Hwayi, it was as if his heart was weeping but his mind was numb and not even realizing it. Never seen another actor do it like that.

• Like 2

I watched the livestream last night and still not done watching the eng subbed version but YASSSS YEO JIN GOO YASSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

So well-directed. The director certainly did not disappoint! That scene where half the face of the king was shown and then cut straight to the clown's other half. WOW. The pacing is on point. It didn't dilly-dally and went straight in for the kill. The king is ruthless and disturbed but given the first part, his father certainly didn't help. Great cameo performance by Jang Hyuk, btw! All the actors are great. YES. THANK YOU. I agree! Thank you to the director for taking the casting seriously.

Yeo Jin Goo nailed it. That scene where he stabbed the assassin and even imitated the way he was catching his breath. DGDLKGJ. Then the next you'd see Jin Goo playing this clown and his speech is so on-point! Great, so so so great. I'm so glad and happy he's been given the opportunity to rock these roles.

My thoughts are still all over the place. But there's been an absolutely AMAZING response to the first episode! And the ratings. WOW. Congrats, TCC Team! Very well earned!

• Like 5

wow what an episode...the king rage was unbearable to watch...so ruthless...

jin goo did great... cant wait for the next episode...the king and clown has met..what's going to happen next

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Stills. :D

Credit: JTBC

Yay thanks for the stills! Haseon looks so cute.. I'm still in awe with the great contrast from Yi Heon. ♥ BTW, Jillia... it's tvN :D

I can see my heart's about to break though, seeing Haseon being used as a dispensable pawn. :( And although Yi Heon is already straight up evil, I do feel sorry for him. :( Jingoo's doing such a fantastic job with the two roles. 

Jingoo's IG update~

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

So good !!!!! I was so surprised at how much I liked the 1st episode . I don’t watch Sageuk much , fusion or otherwise but it’s premiere episode was engaging , fast paced & well acted. And I like that it’s a little dark :D

I appreciated the way we were introduced to the Crown Prince who became the king - the unfavored  child of the previous one ( Jang Hyuk cameo :wub:) . And as the hour  passed , he was depicted as vengeful , ruthless & unmerciful. This is a man who killed his Brother to secure his throne - I figured it would be episodes before we see any redemption for this king. A supposed puppet of a king who is only preoccupied with women & opium . But by the end , what came across to me was a broken, insecure & suffocated man, almost teetering on insanity. A man desperately wanting the affections of his Wife . A king who cannot for sure know who he can trust . I felt the  desperation . 

YJG did such an amazing job portraying two roles . And my gosh , that tension there btwn him and the queen , leaves me craving  for more.

Yes , I don’t mind the palace politics & intrigue it it continues at this good pace , but unashamedly I am desperate for the romance . The chemistry is there !!! I know it will come to a point where I will have to decide if I want her to be with our supposedly cold tyrant of a king Or the warm & caring clown  ...ahh either way I suppose YJG wins :lol:

The last scene was powerful indeed . I cannot wait to watch the 2nd episode.

hi @Jillia @Berou @sava2sava

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5

Another great episode. Hope we'll see more of Jang Young Nam throughout the series- she's so amazing whenever she appears. This as wells as other dramas in the past year just prove that casting former child actors is the way to go- Oh seung yoon in the last empress, jung in sun in my secret terrius, nam ji hyun in 100 DMP, lee tae ri in beauty inside, kim bora in sky castle... and of course our great leads here. If a young actor showed great, nuanced acting it was probably a former child star with 10+, 20+ years of experience. 

That last scene where kim sang kyung is confused as to whether the king is the clown or the real one...so awesome. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, spark101 said:

Another great episode. Hope we'll see more of Jang Young Nam throughout the series- she's so amazing whenever she appears. This as wells as other dramas in the past year just prove that casting former child actors is the way to go- Oh seung yoon in the last empress, jung in sun in my secret terrius, nam ji hyun in 100 DMP, lee tae ri in beauty inside, kim bora in sky castle... and of course our great leads here. If a young actor showed great, nuanced acting it was probably a former child star with 10+, 20+ years of experience. 

That last scene where kim sang kyung is confused as to whether the king is the clown or the real one...so awesome. 

Thank you!

Cant wait to see it.

The Queen is so great here and so lucky too. Two the most amazing men love her  King and Clown  

I dont know who's between them I like more .

• Like 2