Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

January 10, 2019

"The Last Empress" Jang Nara Promises Shin Eun-kyung Revenge

Source: Asiae via HanCinema.net

photo1028792.jpg

On the latest episode of the SBS drama "The Last Empress", Oh Sunny (Jang Nara) barely survived a bomb and went to see the Queen Mother (Shin Eun-kyung).

Oh Sunny said, "I knew you were a frightening person, but I didn't know you'd be this revolting. How did you think of planting a bomb in your son's belonging? If you want to kill me then you should kill me in the name of the Queen Mother and not try to frame it on your son. That's pathetic".

The Queen Mother said, "Watch what you're saying. It's ruthless of you to speak about me that way. Your father is fearless enough to punch the emperor in the face and your brother is so shameful he almost shamed my face away".

Oh Sunny said, "So you're not ashamed of using your son to kill your daughter-in-law? The emperor is no good, but who can blame him for having a mother like you". The Queen Mother told her to sign the divorce papers right away.

Oh Sunny said, "I won't. I'll see this through the end. I won't die like Empress So-hyun (Shin Go-eun). I will show you what it's like to be hit in the back of the head by the empress that you handpicked yourself".

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Maybe need to do a little rewatching... which I don't really have time to for now...

Reason I want to know is ~ did LH go racing on his bike because he was in despair after SH's death?

Was it not 10 years ago?

Because if he is married, I don't think Sunny will dream of marrying him. 

But I might be wrong.

Too much dramas. So I might be confused. Lol

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

4 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

@ktcjdrama and @mrsj3n. I did a bit of digging and now i also think the accident was before his marriage to SH. Because Byun was with him at that time. If i recall correctly when SH died, Byun also left the palace.

Ref: https://www.dramamilk.com/the-last-empress-episode-27-and-28-live-recap/

Ok, I just rewatched the latest episode whereby Yoon confronted the doctor.

It's 10 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just watched yesterday's eng subbed eps...

Yoon is the dumbest character I've ever seen in any drama... He just destroyed a main evidence there was to prove Empress Dowager's evilness.. Dunno how many people are gonna deceased b'cause of his childish mind!

And 10 yrs ago, lee Hyuk survived in an accident. 7 yrs ago, Empress So Hyun died by drowning in the lake & 1 yr ago, a mummy was found with a necklace on it! :o

And I was so right about Empress Dowager... She wants to be immortal. And by chance, the oddly smelled flowers in her garden have the key ingredient for it..??!! I am curious...

And I really want both Sunny & Wang Sik to be alive at the end of the series.. But "I will protect you, even if I must give my life" is leaving some negative vibes on me!! I hope not though... And he said that he likes Sunny. Yes, the ship has officially sailed on its own :wub:

49914804_2128895794088622_61939675867748

• Like 14

Some thoughts about this week´s episode

- I find it somewhat disturbing that some people are really shipping her with LH and want the writer to change the loveline. Yikes....the guy is unstable and can switch from nice to bad faster than you can blink.

- I read that next week there is going to be a special where they show a summary of all the aired episode. Even tho I´m sad that we won´t get the usual 2h maybe this special will remind all those people that are shipping her with LH of all the bad things he had done. 

- About the princess scolding Sunny about Ari...imo she wasn´t exactly nice to Ari when she was pretending to be her mother.

- Apart from what I said about the princess above I feel bad for her that she is being used by WB. Like she said she may be stupid but she is not evil....so she doesn´t deserve to be used like that. It will really crush her when she finds out the truth. 

- I initialy thought that YR had something to do with the previous head of guard surviving since she was the only person present at that moment...After watching ep 16 I´m not sure how to interpret her surprised look if it was more of a "what are you doing her"? or "You are alive?"

- When WB declared to LH that he like Sunny I think that he did that to protect her from the emperor....feelings are starting to develop between them but I don´t think it´s love yet. 

-I always wonder what the father of the last empress had been doing all those years....he has all those people working for him with all those high tech equipment and in all of those 7 years he wasn´t able to find any clue about the death of his daughter? What has those guys doing been doing all of the time? What is the purpose of that place?

- I find so hilarious that ED decided to put Hello in a prison after she called her old. She seems to be quite obssesed with staying young.

- About the controversial topic of Ari´s punishment: I don´t have a problem with it because Sunny did it the right way. She first gave Ari the chance to correct her mistake....and after she didn´t that´s when she decide to punished her (even tho it wasn´t technically her fault since she didn´t learnt any moral values at that messed up place). But afterwards she took time to consol her and explained things to her. She didn´t do it out of malicious intent. Comparing it to the flahsback of LH and his father...the reason why LH got beaten was the father loosing face in front of the people...the punishment was all about him and his image. 

- Sunny need to learn how to be a better spy because how in the world are you going to sneak into a place while wearing  shoes loud enough to wake up all the dead people that ED has burried in that Island. 

- I know this is a makjang drama but I really hope that the writer wouldn´t go the pregnancy route....that would just overcomplicate things more than they already are. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@gm4queen I'm a little confused.

During the first episode, I thought what we are watching now is the flashback of what happened 1 year ago after the corpse was found? Because that necklace belongs to Sunny. Hmmm

Yoon is actually not the dumbest because he is not alone.

He has the late empress and sunny with him. :joy:

@Sarang21 I agree with what you said.

But regarding Ari's punishment.. I'm not saying Sunny did not discipline her properly, I'm just not sure why she has to be caned so many times on her leg. But that is definitely not abuse.

Gosh.. what type of kids are we trying to raise nowadays?

Strawberry generation?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

watching the latest episode and laughing at helro's smackdown of the empress dowager -- "you old witch!" hahahah.... the mention of the word "old" really rattled her... perhaps, a good punishment is to somehow make ED super old? too bad there's no magic portion for that! ^_^

37 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

- I find so hilarious that ED decided to put Hello in a prison after she called her old. She seems to be quite obssesed with staying young.

Yes, it was hilarious and I also thought of the best punishment would be to make her look really old.... The medicine that the maid brought to her was one of those new anti-aging injection. Maybe one of these days she can get a faulty product that will actually bring problems for her facial appearance, mwahahahahahaa....

37 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

- I initialy thought that YR had something to do with the previous head of guard surviving since she was the only person present at that moment...After watching ep 16 I´m not sure how to interpret her surprised look if it was more of a "what are you doing her"? or "You are alive?"

I think it could very well be YR's doing. Since she is the one who reported to LH that the guard already killed himself. She could've lied about it. But it could also be the ED who spared him maybe? He was one of her favorite and trusted persons...

38 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

Sunny need to learn how to be a better spy because how in the world are you going to sneak into a place while wearing  shoes loud enough to wake up all the dead people that ED has burried in that Island. 

LOL..... :lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, triplem said:

I think here in Asia or for those of us with Asian heritage - we have no issues with a little spanking as long as not done in excess or abusive.

my mom is half chinese and she spanked me and my sister all the time so im used to it lol.. 

i just watched the latest ep.. i dont know what is wrong with me but i kinda like lee hyuk with sunny now (dont spank me :joy:)..  i want him to be better and repent..

ps/dont worry woo bin u can date me instead~~:wub:

the story is going nowhere.. too much drama, not enough episodes.. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

34 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

@gm4queen I'm a little confused.

During the first episode, I thought what we are watching now is the flashback of what happened 1 year ago after the corpse was found? Because that necklace belongs to Sunny. Hmmm

Yoon is actually not the dumbest because he is not alone.

He has the late empress and sunny with him. :joy:

As far as I remember what we are watching now is what happened between 7yrs to 1yr... At the end of current flashback scenes, we will be able to know who the deceased mummy is ... Or am I missing here something???? :sweatingbullets:

Dear @ktcjdrama - can you help a little bit??!? At this rate, will 24 hours be enough to untie these messes...? I think now we only have 8 hours left.. :mellow:

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Hey everyone. Just saw the latest two episodes and laughed at the so many comedic scenes (I know they are fan servicing but it’s messy in terms of overall tone) and there were so scenes that took me by surprised (MYR’s baby daddy reviled!!! Spoiled Older Princess saving her Bin and confessing to him and yet she saw him with Sunny; wonder where this thread will go!) Some characters in this drama have 9 lives lol (they don’t die lol)!! The last scene of NWS telling LH that he likes Sunny was pretty good - tensions up! Despite the uneven tone lately, a little bit slower paced and some redundancy - still very much enjoyable, especially when Sunny gets her rage on. Satisfying to see her stand up and fight. 

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, blademan said:

DANG :joy::love:

I dare you guys to watch this and NOT root for Sunny and Lee Hyuk :tears:

OMG I keep on getting recommended these videos and I keep on watching them lmao

I saw this really good one (around 100,000 views) a few days ago and it looked like SBS themselves made it. The talent of some of these people’s editing.. Gave me all the feels XD

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

45 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

@Sarang21 I agree with what you said.

But regarding Ari's punishment.. I'm not saying Sunny did not discipline her properly, I'm just not sure why she has to be caned so many times on her leg. But that is definitely not abuse.

Gosh.. what type of kids are we trying to raise nowadays?

Strawberry generation?

In one of the previous episodes ed got caned on her leg by the Grandmother too after finding out what she did to YR...so I guess it´s a cultural thing. 

26 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes, it was hilarious and I also thought of the best punishment would be to make her look really old.... The medicine that the maid brought to her was one of those new anti-aging injection. Maybe one of these days she can get a faulty product that will actually bring problems for her facial appearance, mwahahahahahaa....

I think it could very well be YR's doing. Since she is the one who reported to LH that the guard already killed himself. She could've lied about it. But it could also be the ED who spared him maybe? He was one of her favorite and trusted persons...

LOL..... :lol:

That would really be the best punishment for her...a prison would also be a good punishment for her since she wouldn´t be able to do all those anti-aging treatment.evil-smile-onion-head-emoticon.gif  If only we we were able to tell Sunny about ED weakness :lol:.

Great point about her being the one who reported about his death. Also even thought it was a short scene he didn´t look like he was going to harm her.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

In one of the previous episodes ed got caned on her leg by the Grandmother too after finding out what she did to YR...so I guess it´s a cultural thing. 

That would really be the best punishment for her...a prison would also be a good punishment for her since she wouldn´t be able to do all those anti-aging treatment.evil-smile-onion-head-emoticon.gif  If only we we were able to tell Sunny about ED weakness :lol:.

Great point about her being the one who reported about his death. Also even thought it was a short scene he didn´t look like he was going to harm her.

To be honest,  when Grandmother was doing it to ED... I watched it with glee and was hoping for more.

Geez. Grandmother should actually stop her supplies of anti aging products. That is then a punishment!!! 

Btw, there's no use in telling Sunny anything other than asking her to stop broadcasting her plan/moves/cards in ED's face.

:joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

@triplem @ktcjdrama Oh no, don't get me wrong, I would love to see Lee Hyuk's character redeemed, like I really would and I want to hope he feels some sort of remorse, I want to believe he can and has but than his character does a 180 and I'm like, why??? I know a lot of his issues stem from manipulation by mommy dearest and MYR to an extent, but he also had a choice of whether to follow along with whatever MYR said or not.

Again, if the writer is going for some sort of redemption, I would like it to be consistent in showing that. I just don't like being invested in a character's development only for the writer to never take it anywhere. I just hope the writer doesn't continue with the constant back and forth of will LH be redeemed or not, until the very last episode. If he's due to be reformed, now is the time to begin showing that and not drag it out until the end, otherwise it's going to be really hard for me to buy his redemption. (if one is planned)

I'm just looking at it from the perspective of having low expectations, so if he doesn't get redeemed my hopes for a redemption arc aren't too high. 

• Like 8

I don't feel Sunny will accept Woo Bin at the beginning of episode 33 later, there are some possibilities about what will Sunny do

1. Sunny realizes that if she wants to protect Woo Bin from Hyuk's anger then leaves just like that, and leaves Hyuk and Woo Bin confrontation, but Bin reasons that he only runs the task of winning Sunny's heart, and says that Hyuk doesn't like Sunny right? (The way Bin looks to Hyuk when he is paralyzed like the code to Hyuk).

2. Sunny will think that Hyuk will plan something to use Woo Bin to get rid of him and Sunny will anger Hyuk again because of Woo Bin's attitude. Sunny said, "This has happened to her before, the 'Queen and Guard scandal'. I will not leave this place for such reasons, if I leave this place I must head up and be free of accusations, until then there is no time to play 'wife husband 'or' empress and guard '.
Sunny then asks Woo Bin not to pretend to like it because obeying Hyuk's wishes again, Sunny says "I really appreciate you Chun Woo Bin, as a Guard. Thank you very much." Sunny still needs Woo Bin if he stays in the palace, and doesn't want him to get hurt or get fired. Sunny promised to protect Woo Bin (ep 29).

3. Sunny accepts Woo Bin while angrily cursing Hyuk. Said Woo Bin is better than Hyuk, then challenged Hyuk to divorce her and expel her, she also lost her mother because of Hyuk, and now says only Woo Bin is looking after her while in the palace if he dares to fire Woo Bin, she will also leave and not care about the image of the empire (it seems very risky to remember the temperament of Hyuk).

Then the scenario to Hyuk
1. Hyuk is happy because he knows Sunny doesn't have feelings for Woo Bin, if Sunny doesn't accept Woo Bin's statement.
2. Hyuk peevish and regretted the problem because he had told Woo Bin to approach Sunny.
3. Hyuk endangers Woo Bin because of anger Sunny likes Woo Bin.
4. Hyuk feels guilty for what has happened and tries to be a better person because he is shaken by Sunny's said that Woo Bin's character is better than Hyuk's.
5. Hyuk believes Woo Bin is protecting him again.
6. Hyuk tells Woo Bin that Sunny is still his wife and won't let go then challenges Woo Bin to win Sunny's heart. (It will be some funny moment then between three of main lead character --> hope this will be happen soon, Woo Bin will be more fun too cz Lee Hyuk character is funny villain more romantic with Sunny)

And Woo Bin
1. Woo Bin will find an excuse to Hyuk if he is carrying out his duties from Hyuk and ED first.
2. Woo Bin can also say to Hyuk that forcing Sunny will add to the bad situation and won't be able to win her heart like that. Because Woo Bin know that Hyuk in Sunny side right now, although Hyuk refused, that's why Woo Bin want to help him. Woo Bin actually in his heart not wanna Sunny in that moment with Hyuk.
3. Woo Bin admits that he likes Sunny and will fight for Sunny, and shakes Hyuk if he says he doesn't like Sunny, why can't he get her?
4. Woo Bin plans for Sunny to get protection from Hyuk so they can control Hyuk (I don't like this) Hopefully Woo Bin sincerely finds a protector for Sunny because he is aware that his life is in danger, if he dies (because of the bullet), no need to worry anymore .

I don't like it, Woo Bin came in because he wanted revenge, in the end what did he get? Woo Bin's attitude is actually very terrible in the thousand of face. #poor you revenge.

Only because a case can change the NWS like this. Originally the NWS also likes to beat other and fighting, he totally very tempramental at the beginning of the episode even though the intention is good at protecting his mother. Luckily, he didn't have bad thoughts from his family.

Imagine Lee Hyuk, the original pure child, but his childhood trauma was even haunting, until he was paranoid and like to be beaten (there was a scene asking for Woo Bin to be beaten). His mother keeps on controlling him. And he just wants to be free. Hyuk's mistake during his mother's NWS accident was that he ran away, without knowing if the NWS mother was still alive (holding MYR feet). He just like a child trap on the big body, never do something fun when he was a child. His smile is so pure when he like something.

But I like Sunny who came in because I was searching for the truth, not because of revenge. She is open-minded, she doesn't use any masks, she doesn't take benefit from anyone. Blatantly challenged ED and even dared to kick Hyuk's tray. 

Edited by laivla
Typo
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

To be honest,  when Grandmother was doing it to ED... I watched it with glee and was hoping for more.

Geez. Grandmother should actually stop her supplies of anti aging products. That is then a punishment!!! 

Btw, there's no use in telling Sunny anything other than asking her to stop broadcasting her plan/moves/cards in ED's face.

:joy:

yes you are right...I forgot for a minute that she like to brodcast her plan to her enemies. Someone need to send her the book "How to survive in the palace for dummies" as soon as possible with anothe rone being "how to be a spy in the palace for dummies" :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

So we only have 1 episode next week and it will be shown on 17 Jan 2019 and SBS will air the special on the 16 Jan. Hmm.. I went back to watch the beginning of episode 1 as I wanted to confirm something which I thought I saw.

i believe the police will find dig out the corpse from the garden at Ehwa palace on 17 Jan. There was a date and time stamped on the TV news which states 17 Jan at 14.13 pm.

writer-Nim then starts the story telling “1year ago in 2018”. I am trying to do a calclulation here. Is it really a year since this whole saga started?. Not sure how she will link the dates. Unless there is time jump:wacko:

I can’t read Korean but I read somewhere ( can’t remember now exactly where I saw it) that the only the news (audio) was translated and not the text on the screen. If some kind Chingu can translate what is written on the screen, it can give us a clue of who the corpse is. I do think it is empress so hyun but why bury her with the necklace?? And the place is not in the island which ED is trying so hard to keep in her possession. Hopefully not another person that we do not know of.

fast forward to present 

gosh!.. LH is really creepy and unstable. I am not sure if he really loves Sunny or is it because he is totally obsessed that this is one woman whom he cannot “conquer”. Yes.. I agree that he was brought up in a toxic environment but his reaction to the people that he killed or accidentally killed is not humane. He tells WB” what’s the big deal about his(WS] mom’s death?. Why is he torturing me? I should have killed him off then.

and when Sunny confronts him about Why he should live instead of her mom, he answered

“what’s wrong with it?. It is natural that the person who should live, lives. I the emperor was chosen to continue the imperial family” 

all his promise to protect his empress literally disappeared from his mind.

no matter how pitiful he is I really don’t want Sunny to be near him. he treats women like prized possession and he sees Sunny as someone who is different from all his other women and she can also help fight his mom. 

This guy is dangerous! This is the 2nd time that he has forced Sunny to sleep together. I am so glad that WB was there the 2nd time to stop him

and that wish, I was sure that WB would have used to ask for other things.. maybe the emperor,s life but he had to use it to protect the empress. Was it a love confession?. Maybe not  yet as he vowed to protect Sunny even if it were to end his life.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, jbeanie1709 said:

Is it really a year since this whole saga started?. Not sure how she will link the dates. Unless there is time jump:wacko:

Yea, I think there’s going to be a time-skip towards the end.

• Like 5