Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

I think we all unanimously agree to disagree with the never comments about shipping LH and SN. Along with everything he’s done to her, there’s also the fact that he is responsible for her mother’s death and in most kdramas a dynamic like that is taboo. Not that has stopped leads in the past but these two episodes felt like SN and WB were getting closer as LH and her drifted more apart now that she knows his involvement with her mother’s death. At the same time, I think this just makes his ‘love’ (I use that loosely because it’s a debate if he’s even capable of that) stronger for her because he wants what he can’t have, especially now that his bestie is doting after her. He knows he can’t be mad at SN like he was at SH because this time it was him who pushed the man to seduce the empress. Even if knetz viewers are supporting the LH-SN ship , I don’t think writers would even have enough time to switch everything around, we are more than 2/3 past the drama and it would be absolutely absurd if SN has a sudden change of heart (not that this show has ever strayed away from the absurd :P)

who was that guy that approached YR in mental hospital??

• Like 6

Spoiler

@katakwasabi Thanks chingu, I also love your analysis of the character as well. :D

@stroppyse I'm still in awe and concerned that viewers have such a strong influence on the writing of a drama's story even halfway through, I had read a few years back that most the time, the writers pretty much never have a fully finished script and it's one of the factors why some dramas can start halfway with a strong start but then end up being lackluster towards the end. Or a plot point that happened in episode 5 is never addressed again or suddenly brought up by episode 14, only to be dismissed...

Which is why I seldom watch a lot of dramas, I usually wait for them to be completely finished before I decide whether or not to watch it or if it's a already pre-produced drama I'll give it a chance because I know viewers cannot influence/pressure the writer into making nonsensical story points that do nothing for the overarching story. I end up watching dramas halfway and then dropping them because the stories tend to either not make sense or padded with unnecessary stuff in order to drag it on.

At first, I had thought this drama was one of those already %100 pre-produced dramas so when I found out it wasn't, my first immediate thought was; oh god, I hope the writer tells her story the way she wants and isn't pressured to change things because Knets are whining about their ship not being OTP...I don't like when writers are pressured to cater to viewer's demands when it does nothing for the story. 

If the writer wants LH/SN then by all means, she has the right to do that but if it's done on basis of what viewers want...ehh...I'll be disappointed. 

Yeah, again, I totally get where they're coming from, the appeal of LH's character is more attention grabbing, namely because of the actor playing him and he really is stealing the show at times away from WB who, unfortunately was not written to be a 'debonair'/suave type of character. If LH's character wasn't played by SSR and played by someone that just shows how utterly awful LH is or if WB's character was written to be charismatic than viewers probably wouldn't be rooting for such a character. Honestly I wasn't expecting it at all, this is the first time I've watched something with this actor in it, because as I've said I came because of seeing JNR x CJH reunite as leads. I love JNR but CJH is so hot, I've been swooning over him being allowed to smile more in recent episodes and I'm like, Emperor Lee Hyuk...Emperor Lee Hyuk who?? That man's smiles omfg....I can't! *ahem* Where was I going with this post? Oh yeah...

It reminds me of my brief time, watching the Heirs, before I dropped it, it was too ridiculous, even for me. But Choi Young-Do was more entertaining to watch, especially whenever his character interacted with Cha Eun Sang. Kim Tan just became so boring by contrast that I ended up shipping CYD x CES.

And speaking of main lead's who are totally douchesnozzles to main female leads and their overbearing mothers, Koo Jun Pyo and his mother the infamous 'Mama Kang' are like little puppies by comparison to LH and his mother!

in an alternate universe, I'll be all over LH/SN but....Lee Hyuk is still Lee Hyuk and that was clearly emphasized in episode 16 and with the subtitles to put context into what was being said? I almost lost it! I screamed at my laptop ya'll ISTG!! I WASN'T WRONG HOLY SHEET! I said I was worried that if Sunny kept pushing this crazy nut he was going to end up trying to force her to stay by his side! That ending! I seriously don't see how he can be redeemed?! He needs to go straight to the psych ward holy mother of cheese! 

And now that Woo Bin was like grant my wish, let her go, he ain't gonna do it, he doesn't want to divorce her or let her go omfg I called this! I FREAKING CALLED THIS! ;fjkajdlfak I'm freaking out right now. 

I will be surprised if he does but he ain't and i think it's this ending scene that's going to start making LH suspicious of the possibility that WB is actually WS. And now I worry that my man...is going to be killed off. *takes a deep breath*

With subtitles that ending was soooooooooooooooo much more unsettling, like I was hoping they weren't going to go there but they went there, he LITERALLY said in so little words he didn't give a good freaking darn how she felt he was ready to...oh freaking lord, this man is crazy. If it weren't for WB, he was going to in a state of drunken rage and rape her. Like, I cannot be the only one who got that right? Am I delusional OR...??? I know i can't be the only one that picked up on this right? RIGHT?! 

Death would be too good for LH's character, he needs to be sent to the psych ward for help, srsly. 

Okay so I'm dropping my speculation on birth secrets and just have come to the conclusion that Lee Hyuk, So Jin and Yoon just unfortunately had crap parents. Lee Hyuk's a monster, So Jin was ignored all her life until her mom finds her useful and Yoon feels responsible for all the crap his family has done and feels ashamed, like I see why he doesn't want Sunny's family to know he's related to them, Sunny's family is the closest thing to what an actual loving family is but honey you're gonna have to tell them at some point. 

He's also frustrating in keeping secrets for too long but I understand not wanting to say anything without proof, but my sweet, sweet summer child...WHY WOULD YOU GO RUNNING YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU KNOW HOW YOUR MOTHER IS?! Baby, I need to learn when to sing like a canary and when to stay silent as a mouse! OMFG WHY?!

Can someone get Ari away from her mother? I do not feel sorry for Nanny Kang Hee, you raised your child that way so *shrugs* you know what kind of person Sunny is and you know what kind of place that soulless palace is...it was only natural that Ari, despite her gravitating towards Sunny because she was taught to seek connections with those that had wealth or higher status, she was going to naturally be attached to her because of her good heart. 

Sunny is the only person to show her real motherly love. So stop being so dang jealous. I know some of ya'll are annoyed with Ari and usually children that are bratty grate my nerves but I cannot be annoyed by her at all, her calling out for Sunny made my heart weak and she has a chance to be saved. You could see the influence was quickly taking effect, it probably won't happen but I wish for Sunny to take Ari with her. 

Because now I'm speculating if the body that was found at the beginning is a fake, if that body doesn't end up being either Min Yu Ra, So Hyun's or the Nanny's, I'm wondering if Sunny fakes her own death to getaway from LH because he has gone beyond the deep end? 

I hope So Jin stays the same, it'll be so unnecessary for her to suddenly turn rotten because of jealousy after ALL THIS TIME for the sake of 'drama'. *sighs*

The former head guard and Yu Ra teaming up?? Didn't see that coming! That's going to make things very interesting and messy. 

Yeah...Dowager Kang human trafficking people on that island, burying the dead...yeah...it's starting to sound more and more plausible. I can't think of a more fitting punishment for her, other than public humiliation, like having a crowd of people just throw trash and eggs at her and of course life without parole. But...I might be hoping for too much. 

Ugh, there's prob more to rant about but my mind is overloaded by the fact that I am floored...FLOORED over LH actually having the nerve to imply he'll force Sunny into submission with no regard to her cries or pleas and he probably thought like every other guard, Woo Bin was just going to stand by and allow him to drag away a woman even if its his 'wife' to obviously be raped.  

Hindsight is 20/20 it was mildly creepy when she kicked him out and he smiled saying he wanted to conquer her in ep 15...yeah...that mofo really meant that sheet!

Say what you want but Woo Bin was the real MVP at the end of ep 16 and was sexy putting that nut in his place. 

but yeah, gonna try to get back into encounter since I've been thirsting for a noona romance for a while now, it just seems to move kind of slow...but I need to break away from this drama before I go insane! I'm worried about Sunny and Woo Bin, I'm worry the writer is gonna do a 180 and be pressured into making LH/SN endgame, I'm worried she's going to throw the unexpected pregnancy trope in just to create more drama...I need a break from the Last Empress. 

okay, I'm done now XD

Ya'll already know, the rookie likes to rant and make insane theories, everything is full game until otherwise debunked. XD

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

19 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Only way for LH redeem himself is to admit all his and his mother crimes and go to prison that is all other then that  nope.

Also really he said it makes him want to conquered sunny thats all he cares about it was beyond creepy.

Absolutely agree with you. 

Although I find LH interesting and I do somewhat pity his upbringing, he must pay for his crime and admit to his deed. He had committed too many crimes to get off with just a slap to his wrist.

And it's interesting that you pointed out that LH said he wanted to conquer Sunny, because I originally thought he was falling for Sunny (when he smiled at her image in the camera), but after he witnessed WB's hug with Sunny, I knew his interest was stemmed from his competitive nature. Now...guilt came into play.

There's no doubt that LH's willingness to protect Sunny stemmed from his guilt. When he confronted his mother about the bombing incident, the first thing he said was that he couldn't believe his mother would try to kill Sunny after what had Yoon told them...indicating, that reason was his primary reason. And when his mother confronted him about his own murder attempt against Sunny, echoing Sunny's rebuke, it finally hit home for him (why Sunny wasn't willing to forgive him, why Sunny was so mad at him) that he had committed the same error that he was criticizing his mother for. That's why, when he made the declaration that he was going to protect Sunny, I find that scene an interesting growth for his character. 

However, I would never agree to pair him up with Sunny. Like Sunny indicated, who's crazy enough to be on a good relationship with the person who tried to kill you? I want to see LH chastened...I want to see him learning how to say "sorry" like Ari...but I do not want to see him in a romantic relationship with Sunny. I'll flip the table if that occurred.

• Like 6

I have a crazy tot that would like to share( but I think is highly unlikely:sweatingbullets:, what if dong shik is the Empress SH and emperor’s child ? She actually had a early delivery and fake pregnancy then she pass to and exchange with KJS and MYR ‘s child? That would explain why MYR don’t care for DS, hard to believe she is such a cruel mom. 

Another question is the photos ED show LH (KJS shopping with Empress SH ),looks like photoshopped ( cos the scene is same like KJS’s flashback with MYR) . 

And why is the previous guard still alive, tot he is edict to die? Does that mean the poison injection is not poisonous ? Does this have any link with the poison show to ED?  :crazy:  TLE is so unpredictable.

• Like 7

My friend said she wouldn’t be surprised if sunny ends up being pregnant. I dismissed it at first since it’s such a common trope but I guess it would mess up the nanny’s plans (if it’s a boy) and will keep the love triangle going and also parallel with the emperor’s past. Then this would be the ultimate makjang lmao

Oh, and the Crown Prince would also go to jail if the news break since he knew about the murder but didn’t say anything for 7 years

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Crystal Kim said:

My friend said she wouldn’t be surprised if sunny ends up being pregnant.

Hi @Crystal Kim Wow your friend is observant about that. We can't forget that Lee Hyuk and Sunny did consummate their wedding night. Was it their wedding night? Who knows she get might pregnant later, right? Wow....that's very interesting.

7 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

*sobs omg what did i miss?!! my sister went into labour last night and we had to fly out suddenly coz she lives in diff city..

will catch up today after all the craziness..

Hi @Matilda_Anne how's your sister doing? Baby is safe and healthy? Boy or girl? Congratulations :)

• Like 7

Now I understand why Wang Shik is the one saving Sunny when Sunny Save Hyuk from the Joon Sung brother. Cause the true otp of this drama is Sunny and Wang Shik. I was thinking why the hell this fat guy saving Sunny. Why? I keep saying to myself. I never thought he will transform to Choi Jin Hyuk. I never read the synopsis and just watch the drama cause I really like Jang Nara and SSR and thought they look good together. I thought they will be together in this drama. I was a fool for hoping this drama is about SSR and Jang  Nara. This is my mistake for not reading the synopsis. I just saw the ads and start watching it. Now that Sunny hates Hyuk so much and even Bin has confessed his feelings. Feel so sad cause Hyuk tried to be nice and all went wrong. Nothing goes well. I know how evil Hyuk is but I think every1 deserve a 2nd chance. After they showed Hyuk starting to become nice, I support him but its just sad that I think I know what will happened already. I was hoping Bin will forgive him since he didnt kill his mother intentionally. But the way this goes is not going there. I think the ending would be Hyuk die just to save Sunny. Even though the OTP shows progress the ratings went upside down. I hate how they make Hyuk trying to become nice just to be destroyed in the end. I regret watching this drama. I think I will not watch it anymore. Ending for sure is Hyuk dying so His brother Yoon, Bin, and Sunny can laugh out loud and Bin got his revenge. Bin and Sunny together in the end. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

As for the romance, I would prefer SN be with the man who has always cared for her and saved her than the man who has tried to kill her, so I hope the writer isn't persuaded to try to redeem Hyuk to the point where SN is supposed to take him back, though the last episodes seems to be trying to go there maybe. I can see why viewers might find the romance a bit boring though. It's a bit of sanity surrounded by makjang on every side. As for me, I would prefer if they made better progress with the SN-NS romance now that they are working on the same side. Since this drama is going for full makjang anyway, couldn't SN and NS have a full blown romance as part of it, with opportunities for them to be a cute couple?

will have to agree with some of the naver comments. there was one that pointed out that there was so much sizzle with the scene where he covered her eyes while seeing yura and emperor on boat. that bridge scene was an absolute knock out. him putting an ice pack on her feet, or carrying her... there were many earlier scenes that had a real sizzle. now in the later scenes, that sizzle is missing which is why knetz seem to be jumping on the other ship. besides the comedy factor, the other ship doesn't have any sizzle at all but it is just amusing to watch. so I don't think the viewers are even taking it seriously as there is the character  ㅋㅋㅋㅋ to indicate "hahaha / kekekeke" that most of these comments are said in a kind of jest.

that said, even some of the writer's previous works had that kind of comic vibe with the ex like in the temptation of wife. but they didn't end up together. a clue that end game is sunny and wang shik is how sunny reacts to emperor. haven't seen yesterday's episode yet but in wednesday's episode, emperor is trying to woo her and you see her almost sucked in and then she is reminded of jedi master's words about how she was used as an alibi to cover the accident. then her anger, frustration wells up and she sees his true face and calls him out on his behaviour...  so now with her finding out about her own mom's death, it is a divide that can never be bridged.

but I wouldn't mind some of that old sizzle between wang shik and sunny. it was fun to watch. not sure why it is missing but I can't help but notice choi jin hyuk looks exhausted and kind of like he lost weight? but this isn't a rom-com anyway. all for the revenge plot and to see how all these knots are unfolded. so even if the romance falls flat, it doesn't matter as much...

• Like 10

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

edit: I think the only reason I'm still following this drama is to watch the Dowager Empress being brought down to her knees and put in prison. Or a psych ward.

QZ5oykT.gif

Yes... THIS!

This is really the reason why I am still watching the drama now.

Not to forget. MYR, LH and annoying Nanny.

I have absolutely NO LOVE for these 4.

I don't understand the rationale to make LH "human", "funny" and "pitiful" to viewers.

And I've said before.. I don't understand why would Sunny, the crown prince reveal their cards to ED all the freaking time....

One thing for sure, ED's vanity gonna be the one to take her down completely.

SleepyDistantFossa-size_restricted.gif

P.S @Crystal Kim can't be. How many sun and moon has passed since they do the deed? 

That will be the last straw for me as it will be so... what do you call it???  makjang? :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

@butterflyempress, all I can say about your post is "Wow!" You definitely had a lot of ideas about this drama. I'm mostly sympathetic to most of the thoughts you had, and then I have just a few additional comments.

I also think that Hyuk intended to force SN that night by insisting that he has to spend the night with her and that he was her husband with no intention of ever letting go.

2 hours ago, butterflyempress said:

Okay so I'm dropping my speculation on birth secrets and just have come to the conclusion that Lee Hyuk, So Jin and Yoon just unfortunately had crap parents. Lee Hyuk's a monster, So Jin was ignored all her life until her mom finds her useful and Yoon feels responsible for all the crap his family has done and feels ashamed,

Totally agree about the crap parents. We've seen the violence of their father towards Hyuk, though Yoon seems to have gotten off free on that point, and So Jin seems as if she was basically neglected by both parents. As for the mother, she is one chilling monster. I'm getting to the point where I'm willing to buy that she's evil enough to traffic in humans. Perhaps she's selling their organs like those sicko crime bosses, and burying the rest of the remains on the island. Her absolute indifference to human life other than her own is just evil on a different level.

2 hours ago, butterflyempress said:

I'm wondering if Sunny fakes her own death to getaway from LH because he has gone beyond the deep end? 

I have to say that I'm still hoping that SN and Co. bring down the monarchy for good. That would also give good purpose to the English title of "The Last Empress" with SN being the last empress before Korea becomes a republic. With such a diseased monarchy, I don't know that maintaining it is the right thing to do, even if Yoon might make a halfway decent monarch. Or SN's child if it turns out that she has one. I'm hoping not, but with this writer, it's feasible just to make for an even more makjang and twisted tale.

1 hour ago, guin2 said:

Another question is the photos ED show LH (KJS shopping with Empress SH ),looks like photoshopped ( cos the scene is same like KJS’s flashback with MYR) . 

That is such an interesting and credible idea. :)

Also with regards to KJS and Empress SH, it seems fitting that LH goes into a jealous rage because of a lie that his empress and her chief bodyguard are lovers, and then with WB and SN, it actually becomes true.

• Like 8

wow the latest ep is soooooo intense!!!!

when crazy hyuk appears, i'm like "damn back to crazy hyuk", was enjoying his cuteness for a while in the last few eps lol.

but ok i just have one complain, shouldn't crown prince have like a backup plan or something when he force the hospital director to hold a press conference??? like didn't he at least thought that the director would call ED and complain or something? like omg!! 

the moment sunny knew about the truth behind her mom's death i was like uh oh, hyuk's in deep trouble~ 

i feel kinda bad for the princess sojin when she saw wb and sunny's hot pack moment, like her expression looked so heartbroken omg but kudos to her when she quickly saved wb from ed's questioning!!! guess love makes you do crazy things heh.

AND that ending tho??? i was like woah woah wb finally confessed?? but is it really telling the truth tho.. 

can't wait for next week's episode!!!  

• Like 5

I'm worried about Sunny and Woo Bin, I'm worry the writer is gonna do a 180 and be pressured into making LH/SN endgame, I'm worried she's going to throw the unexpected pregnancy trope in just to create more drama.

This is what I afraid of, the writer will follow Knetz opinion...

Looks like the writer will bring wb/ws character to death..as in this two recent episodes, the word death keep coming out from him. I'm ok..haha lets make viewers supporting LH become guilty! 

I wonder the writer's direction after this to bring the character of WS/WB to real torture as the people who knows as WS is now comeback ALIVE.

crossfinger on the death of WB/WS:cold_sweat:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

My personal opinion only. I feel the romance of Woo Bin and Sunny is what we call soft, sweet and warming relationship. This two developed feeling not in short time. They fall to each other because they know that they need one another. And they promised to protect till the end. I hope one day Woo Bin will become cheerful again after all the mess finished like he was before. And I got feeling Woo Bin only declare he likes her not love her in front of emperor to keep his secret for revenge strategy go on the right track.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

My personal opinion only. I feel the romance of Woo Bin and Sunny is what we call soft, sweet and warming relationship. This two developed feeling not in short time. They fall to each other because they know that they need one another. And they promised to protect till the end. I hope one day Woo Bin will become cheerful again after all the mess finished like he was before. And I got feeling Woo Bin only declare he likes her not love her in front of emperor to keep his secret for revenge strategy go on the right track.

Agree.Then this is right away like in the synopsis, Sunny will find TRUE LOVE!:heart:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, philosophie said:

Who was that guy that approached YR in mental hospital??

It was the former headguard who was supposed to kill himself with that poison needle after he "accused" WB of helping the empress.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

My take for his declaration is actually not love.

It's more like a fierce protection he has for Sunny.

And... I think he is the only one who don't go up to LH or ED in the face and say "I will expose you!"

But then.. he did stupid thing like looking for his mum's body and crying with MYR on the loose. 

• Like 4

Did anyone else feel conflicted about the Princess Ari scandal this episode? ED perhaps put an outrageous spin on the hitting but Sunni isn’t exactly blameless. :(

Also, I was kinda touched that Sojin clearly still cares deeply for Ari. I hope the two make up come the end of the series 

• Like 5

On 1/9/2019 at 5:22 PM, katakwasabi said:

I had too. I had to gif this. Hahaha

I even changed my avatar after so long~

Same hat? XD Lol

• Like 7