Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

12 hours ago, booha said:

I feel YR wouldn’t die because it seems LH ordered WB to set up for the truck and fire.  If so, no matter how WB feels about YR he will not let someone die in fire.:sweatingbullets:
But other news hinted  YR died?   Maybe it’s about her character’s demise from  the rank of Ace villains and she might return later to help in bringing down the emperor LH??:unsure:

** @sbsnow_insta left a message to Iijah’s personal IG:
sbsnow_insta  Min chief secretary-nim ~ You are still a beautiful beauty ~ ^ _ ^ Soon we will see you there at 10 pm in ‘TLE’ live
l__lijah @ sbsnow_insta 2018 last broadcast, ttudung (fire emoti)

I had assumed that YR had died inside the burning truck. I can't imagine how she would have managed to get out, and there wasn't anyone else nearby to save her. I've been reading posts here, though, that she must have escaped somehow.

The instagram that you posted from I_Iijah also seems to indicate that it was her last broadcast.

If it was her last broadcast, it was a rather sudden and unexpected ending to her, but I'm okay with that given her many despicable actions to be betrayed to death by the emperor that she had schemed so to get into her bed and thus giving her some power, or so she thought. She should have known that he could change his mind, get tired of her, or as in this case, kill her in a fit of pique and anger.

While it would have been satisfying for YR to know that it was WS who brought her down, I feel that YR is not the main villain, so I'm okay if the drama wants to veer into dealing with the Dowager Empress and the Emperor who are both so evil in their own ways. SSR as the Emperor is killing it as the psychotic who was harshly dealt with by his parents which may have led him into his twisted ways. Still, I think every adult needs to take responsibility for his/her own actions regardless of where the tendency may have come from. Thus, the emperor is an amoral person seemingly incapable of distinguishing right from wrong.

Then again, I suppose I could be wrong, and they cook up a fantastical escape plan for YR. I'll just have to wait to see what the next episode does. :)

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Lmangla said:

aughing and loving sunny and rocky bear's style of flirting.

sunny: I will not ask you if you had breakfast or if you took pain medication.

rocky bear: I had breakfast and medication but I will not answer your questions.

:lol::lol:

I lurve it ....ahahaha...while the romance here will take a back seat to the revenge , scheming and fire setting, I was very pleased to see some spark there between Sunny and Woo Bin. I like the scene she chided him when he insisted on saving DS even though he was in no condition to do so. I felt something there....or it could just be my overactive imagination??

Spoiler

ZqLMihs.png

Anyway, I am surprised @booha that ep 12 would be Lee Elijah 's last scene here on ED. While  I can't say I have any sympathy for her character MYR , I had wanted her to stay longer as I was entertained by the competitive scheming between her and Nanny. I wanted them both to ultimately bring each other down . MYR's premature downfall and demise is due to her impatience.Her confronting WB was not the right move, triggering him  to get rid of her . If she had been more careful and played her cards a lot better like what nanny is doing now , she may not have been killed off. 

(I am wondering if Lee Elijah had decided to leave because of all the harsh comments thrown at her for her trashy character here. Poor thing if that's the case cause she's just effectively playing her role. )

As shocking as the car fire scene was , I think the scene highlight for me was seeing LH's budding feelings for Sunny. The problem now is that he can't outright be angry at WB for the hug as after all it was his decree to WB to make Sunny fall for him (WB) . Also, LH has a lot of affection and trust in WB, and thus  would be very conflicted.  He won't cause any harm to WB until he finds out that WB is Nam Shik , and he has been duped . Can't wait to see how the relationship dynamics between the trio would change . 

QON2K51.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, triplem said:

I lurve it ....ahahaha...while the romance here will take a back seat to the revenge , scheming and fire setting, I was very pleased to see some spark there between Sunny and Woo Bin. I like the scene she chided him when he insisted on saving DS even though he was in no condition to do so. I felt something there....or it could just be my overactive imagination?? 

No. No. you are not imagining things... I felt something there too... WB could probably be feeling something for Sunny already... I loved all WB and Sunny Interactions since the time she sprained her ankle... I found him too caring towards her as a guard. :wub:

As shocking as the car fire scene was , I think the scene highlight for me was seeing LH's budding feelings for Sunny. The problem now is that he can't outright be angry at WB for the hug as after all it was his decree to WB to make Sunny fall for him (WB) . Also, LH has a lot of affection and trust in WB, and thus  would be very conflicted.  He won't cause any harm to WB until he finds out that WB is Nam Shik , and he has been duped . Can't wait to see how the relationship dynamics between the trio would change . 

I loved this scene too! It's a pity that he had tried to kill Sunny off too many times else they will make a nice family. My guess is that he yearns for a loving family that is why he seems to be softer around Ari and Sunny. 

Edited by triplem
Removed quoted image .
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, triplem said:

(I am wondering if Lee Elijah had decided to leave because of all the harsh comments thrown at her for her trashy character here. Poor thing if that's the case cause she's just effectively playing her role. )

I know right? This could be one of the possibility if ep24 really was her last appearance in the show. It's a shame if this is the case.. Because she played her character very well, and ppl should know that whatever villain role played by an actor/actress doesnt describe who they really are.. I know Johnny Depp could be very good as a villain or a hero (just a simple example lol) If anything..a villain role is more difficult to acted..moreover if the actor's character is the opposite (nice,warm,etc) Well, I won't start blabbering about something out of topic.. Forgive me:D

Anyway.. I just want to say that I'm okay whether MYR still in the drama or not.. Guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

No. No. you are not imagining things... I felt something there too... WB could probably be feeling something for Sunny already... I loved all WB and Sunny Interactions since the time she sprained her ankle... I found him too caring towards her as a guard. :wub:

Hehe . He’s paid her a lot of attention for sure .  MYR’s suspicions of him & Sunny is not baseless . But he had a good excuse since he’s doing it under LH’s orders. But oh my wait until princess SJ finds out that her Bin - bin has been “two-timing” her . :sweatingbullets:

@junee22 I hope too it’s not the reason her character is killed off . But then again , this drama is full of surprises, she may still be alive !!!

Edited by triplem
  • LOL 4

December 28, 2018

Major networks resort to 'jump the shark' series amid falling ratings

SEOUL, Dec. 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's three terrestrial networks have been failing miserably to attract television viewers for their dramas in the last few years. They are now trying more actively than ever to capture viewers' attention with ridiculous or shocking storylines -- with limited success.

Case in point is "The Last Empress," a mystery period drama on SBS, written by Kim Soon-ok and featuring Jang Na-ra as a singer who is entangled in a murder case after becoming empress.

A scene from "The Last Empress" in this image provided by MBC. (Yonhap)

A scene from "The Last Empress" in this image provided by MBC. (Yonhap)

The drama is replete with desperate and shocking story elements, apparently intended to grab instant attention from viewers, such as a murder, violence, extramarital affairs and, of course, a love triangle.

To be fair, the series has so far successfully convinced TV audiences, as demonstrated by high ratings, largely thanks to the writer Kim's ability to smoothly weave those eye-popping elements together.

The Wednesday-Thursday series recorded 17.9 percent in viewership rating for its latest episode, which aired Thursday, according to Nielsen Korea, the highest among all the shows in the same time slot aired this year.

MBC TV's "Return," broadcast from Jan. 17 to March 22, was no difference. It was, numbers-wise, a success, with its rating peaking at 17.4 percent, but again the plotline went too far, showing disturbing and cruel scenes and indecent lines.

Aside from the aforementioned two weekday shows, only a few weekend series, such as KBS 2TV's "Marry Me Now" and "My Only One," which traditionally target family audiences, have managed to have marginal success. MBC and SBS have recently ditched shows that emphasize family values, and are airing instead more sensational dramas, like "A Pledge to God" and "Fates & Furies," on weekends.

The moves by the major networks are a far cry from the ones by cable channels, like tvN and JTBC, which have produced a wide variety of genre and trendy shows, like "Mr. Sunshine," "My Mister," "Encounter," "Misty" and "Sky Castle," that achieved commercial as well as critical success.

The trend could indicate a divergence of audiences between the terrestrial networks and cable channels, some industry experts say, as younger people tend to tune in to cable channels for fresh formats and content, while older people still opt for weekend family shows.

For the terrestrial networks, one of the easiest -- and cheapest -- ways to keep audiences engaged is to use a plotline that is as arresting and scandalous as possible, critics say. 

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Thx for the welcome @philosophie yeah, i rly tend to theorize the most crazy stuff when it comes to k-dramas, they tend to follow a predictable formula. XD so i wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there's more birth secrets in the near future.

I haven't seen everything made by this writer but I did watch, Jang Bo Ri and Geum Sa Wol and I noticed this particular writer loves to give her female leads modest backgrounds only for it to be revealed later that bam! They actually come from influential families XD.

As much as I can't stand MYR, I feel it's too soon for her to kick the bucket yet. 

There's still the mystery of Grandmama's murder and LH still doesn't know the full scope of her involvement with WS's mother's death.

If not, then I wonder how the rest of this is going to play out. But if MYR does come back to take revenge on LH i hope they don't do a complete 180 and make her all of a sudden a good guy, it just wouldn't make sense with her character.

With the pacing of this drama, I hope this week's episodes shed some light onto the mystery behind that Island.

I wasn't expecting to get anything about the argument that led to So Hyun's death this week. So, it's possible we may get a little something about this island.

Whatever ED is hiding there might be the very thing to bring the Imperial family down. It's gotta be something more than some hidden slush fund or stolen money. It sounds to hold way too much importance for that.

As for this impending love triangle: It's about to be a hot mess! XD

But if it plays out the way I think it will, Sunny and Woo Bin got their work cut out for them because Lee Hyuk is so about to be that one crazy friend that doesn't realize he's the awkward 3rd wheel that nobody wants.

All in all, I just hope this show doesn't end with WB dying....I did NOT watch this drama to be denied JNR's x CJH's characters not ending up together at the end...AGAIN! 

Yes, i still feel a bit salty over fated to love you. XD

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

im really curious about the island. what is it about it? hurmm maybe that’s where omamama hides her lovers? 

hurm is it mentioned somewhere how lee hyuk’s dad died? maybe omamama faked her late husband’s death and put him in some secret prison on that island so that her son can be the next emperor and she can control him..

hehehe i love making stuffs up now after watching this drama.. i think im gonna start writing my own makjang drama soon lol :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

I am also very curious about the island! Could be something in there that protects the reign of  imperial family or maybe a torture chamber that exists there:crazy:.. well people have mysteriously disappeared.. the first empress’, the previous empress( They didn’t even let her dad see her).. She did have a contraption that pours cement on YR in the palace grounds!

has anyone wondered where is the body of WB/WS mom?. I thought the ED took it from the morgue and claimed it under WS’s name when she tried to trap emperor into marrying Sunni. and WBoverheard that YR/ma pil jo took care of the body

I also agree that it will be a shame if YR died in episode 24.. she would never find out that WB Is WS and that is very unsatisfying. I really wanted her to know that.

• Like 7

sorry, I am very glad MYR is out of the picture

please please please do not let her come back

she is a major pain in the butt....that is actually an understatement.....she is so evil....I don't think I can take any more of MYR

although as @jbeanie1709said, it is a pity that she doesn't know that WB is WS

Edited by knuts
  • Like 8

I know how this writer is. She would never risk writing off such a popular villain this early. MYR isn't dead I can promise you guys that. Since she's one of the main villains she needs to get redeemed first before she actually dies. We'll see her next episode but it'll probably be at the end of the episode. She will definitely have some burns on her hands and body. This time she won't play the damsel in distress to LH. Instead she's going to threaten him not to leave her because she still knows too much. Seeing how much of a wuss LH is, he'll get controlled by her again even though he know longer wants to be with her.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I had assumed that YR had died inside the burning truck. I can't imagine how she would have managed to get out, and there wasn't anyone else nearby to save her. I've been reading posts here, though, that she must have escaped somehow.

The instagram that you posted from I_Iijah also seems to indicate that it was her last broadcast.

If it was her last broadcast, it was a rather sudden and unexpected ending to her, but I'm okay with that given her many despicable actions to be betrayed to death by the emperor that she had schemed so to get into her bed and thus giving her some power, or so she thought. She should have known that he could change his mind, get tired of her, or as in this case, kill her in a fit of pique and anger.

While it would have been satisfying for YR to know that it was WS who brought her down, I feel that YR is not the main villain, so I'm okay if the drama wants to veer into dealing with the Dowager Empress and the Emperor who are both so evil in their own ways. SSR as the Emperor is killing it as the psychotic who was harshly dealt with by his parents which may have led him into his twisted ways. Still, I think every adult needs to take responsibility for his/her own actions regardless of where the tendency may have come from. Thus, the emperor is an amoral person seemingly incapable of distinguishing right from wrong.

Then again, I suppose I could be wrong, and they cook up a fantastical escape plan for YR. I'll just have to wait to see what the next episode does. :)

What a turn of events it would be if YR does survive the car accident but becomes disfigured and basically the opposite of how WS transformed to WB. Maybe she will physically look so different that they had to cast a new actress and she will be under a new pseudonym too. Maybe that might explain why the actress herself had last broadcast even though her character is still not dead because there’s still much more left like WB getting revenge on her (he said he would do it when she has everything but if she dies now, then all his patience and waiting will be all in vain).

@butterflyempress @Matilda_Anne @jbeanie1709 @ktcjdrama My initial thought when I heard about the island was ‘blood diamonds’ like maybe it holds some rare resource like that or gold that is much more valuable than money (since she wants that over anything else). Seeing how she enjoys to bathe in human milk, maybe the island holds some slaves or something that she uses for some other absurd method to stay young.

• LOL 8

2 hours ago, sonequeen01 said:

I know how this writer is. She would never risk writing off such a popular villain this early. MYR isn't dead I can promise you guys that. Since she's one of the main villains she needs to get redeemed first before she actually dies. We'll see her next episode but it'll probably be at the end of the episode. She will definitely have some burns on her hands and body. This time she won't play the damsel in distress to LH. Instead she's going to threaten him not to leave her because she still knows too much. Seeing how much of a wuss LH is, he'll get controlled by her again even though he know longer wants to be with her.

I think that now more of the plot has been revealed, Min Yu Ra is quite disposable. Although I do not believe that she is dead, in the bigger scheme of things, she is not a major villain for the overall story; they are the mother and her staff, the nanny, the primer minister (to a lesser extent because he is a buffoon), etc. I do believe your portion about MYR threatening them all into silence, but she has outlived her usefulness because the story has transitioned into something greater, something beyond just the initial revenge.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, foreverempress said:

I think that now more of the plot has been revealed, Min Yu Ra is quite disposable. Although I do not believe that she is dead, in the bigger scheme of things, she is not a major villain for the overall story; they are the mother and her staff, the nanny, the primer minister (to a lesser extent because he is a buffoon), etc. I do believe your portion about MYR threatening them all into silence, but she has outlived her usefulness because the story has transitioned into something greater, something beyond just the initial revenge.

I don't think she's that useful right now either. She's only being kept in the story to cause problems, maybe even new problems just to keep up the excitement. She might even murder another person and have to hide the body.

I hope NWS or Byun tells Dong Shik to steer clear of her. It would be stupid of them not to warn him. All they have to do is tell him she's a bad person. 

• Like 5

Everybody is curious about GED’s island (청금도(靑金島)- Bluegold Island).  Someone wondered if the name could be something about lapis lazuli (청금석): “It is not an expensive stone, but truly fine material is still rare, and it is primarily mined in Afghanistan.”

google - lapis+lazuli

Sunny’s bracelet is made from lapis lazuli.  Here is the link for the place which made it for the drama( https://blog.naver.com/ssongae/221417722598)

N4w2zIq.png?1

Spoiler

fZSotOw.png?1

CY15nRq.png?1

cr to DC

The secret about GED’s island :naughty::joy:

K0x9HyJ.jpg

cr to DC

17 hours ago, triplem said:

Anyway, I am surprised @booha that ep 12 would be Lee Elijah 's last scene here on ED. While  I can't say I have any sympathy for her character MYR , I had wanted her to stay longer as I was entertained by the competitive scheming between her and Nanny. I wanted them both to ultimately bring each other down . MYR's premature downfall and demise is due to her impatience.Her confronting WB was not the right move, triggering him  to get rid of her . If she had been more careful and played her cards a lot better like what nanny is doing now , she may not have been killed off. 

Yeah I wondered about her seemingly abrupt departure, if it’s really true.  YR is on the main poster. It means she is supposed to hang around till the end?   Yeah maybe it’s possible Lee Elijah wanted out for the personal reasons like you mentioned about harsh comments to her from the viewers? 
 In this drama the writer is clear about good and bad. WB is supposed to be a good guy.  So though WB prepare the truck for fire, I don’t think the writer lets WB burn YR.  
If I’m the writer, I will let YR escape but she is so rejected and depressed and feels guilty that she does nothing but eat and becomes like NWS. hahhaa  :sweat_smile:  Then later she appears to testify against LH with her new look.   :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

6 hours ago, foreverempress said:

I have to admit that this drama is interesting in how it reveals the various villains rather than having 1 major villain plus some minor villains. All of the villains in this drama, e.g. the Emperor, the Dowager Empress, the Nanny, the Prime Minister, YR, other various minions, all have their moments of being evil, with shifting alliances amongst them. It definitely makes this drama more interesting than having a single ultimate power broker.

Anyway, against those confederation of evil people, it seems that the alliance of good guys is coming along very nicely, namely SN, WB, Byun, SN's father, HL, and Yoon, and I doubt that they'll have backstabbing amongst them, so it should be a rock solid alliance, even if they don't wield the same sort of power that the DE and Hyuk do.

I'm not sure how to classify the children at this stage, AR and DS. While AR shows some scary tendencies while DS seems like a sweetheart, I hope that being children, that both are able to be saved, rather than continue to be exploited by the evil ones.

Btw, regarding Lee Elijah's possible departure, if she does leave, I find it hard to believe that it's because of hate comments against her character. This writer is particularly known for writing the evil female second leads, and they are considered coups for their career to get the part. If anything, the actress playing evil female second lead will then go on to more recognition and leading roles. Lee Elijah is also a fairly veteran actress at this point rather than a newbie who is unused to criticism. I would be rather disappointed if she quit the role because of some harsh netizen comments.  It also asks the question of whether her agency is managing her image right, and are her co-stars being supportive regarding what a nice person she is in real life. Anyway, if she does leave, I think there must be more going on that some hateful comments.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, rubie said:

The drama is replete with desperate and shocking story elements, apparently intended to grab instant attention from viewers, such as a murder, violence, extramarital affairs and, of course, a love triangle.

To be fair, the series has so far successfully convinced TV audiences, as demonstrated by high ratings, largely thanks to the writer Kim's ability to smoothly weave those eye-popping elements together.

On 12/28/2018 at 2:50 AM, Josephine Safowaa said:

In fact the nanny makes me feel uneasy like looking at how miserable Hyuk has become he will start visiting her chambers more

Omy seems to me this writer likes erhmm.. to include lots of *sleazy* scenes *cough choke*QjrUV7L.jpg

"The Lust Emperor":

37j92tM.jpg

PG warning:

Spoiler

6qEriAk.jpg

*whisper* Ok ok seriously i must admit this ruthless emperor is such a...a... scene stealer heeee...:glasses:

foV3UuJ.jpg

6jP0nVK.jpg

Oh and this liveblogging idea by uri cutie empress is really cool hahaaa~~:tounge_xd: he is falling for her (cuteness) *dum~~* 

Edit: oh ok no wonder he looks uneasy when he witnessed the hug at the ending scene.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

:lol: Time for another guessing game... What is on the island?? 

My wild guess is that's where ED farms the milk required for her bath :P.... JK...

ooo a breast milk farm lmao... maybe that’s where she keeps breastfeeding moms and tortures them so they wont stop pumping milk for her bath lol..

eeww what kind of sicko woman would want to bathe in human breast milk.. the amount of milk in her bathtub could easily feed a baby or two for a week lol.. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5