Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

alright chingus -- "the kill count!" bet sword-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455363

option 1: this isn't OCN with bad depressing lighting! surprised-red-crab-emoticon.gif?12924553so maybe few : maybe another 1-5?

option 2: this is a modern saeguk! what's a saeguk without some tragedy? thinking-red-crab-emoticon.gif?129245536so a fem more + miscellaneous random people from palace we don't care about: so maybe another 6-10?

option 3: they are taking down the monarchy, it will be a revolution! ops-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455361: so maybe more than 10?

place your bets chingus!

also, you can place your bet on who you expect next that might disappear.... or wish that would disappear... 

my vote -- ari!

Are we talking about kill counts from the next episode onwards? I'll take option 2. Hahaha we have to start counting bodies from now on to know if we got our bet. We need a villain dead because so far our good guys are outnumbered. 

I want the nanny to go but she has her own set of goons and has the back of the PM. I want Ari to change under Sunny's care.

I was quite surprise that the chief guard killed himself. At first, I thought he could also have a fake death with yura conspiring since they are the only 2 left in the room after lee hyuk gave him the poison. Yura doesn't trust woobin anyway so she can use the chief guard (but he is no use inside the palace since lee hyuk ordered him dead, perhaps outside?). But I guess he is really dead in the drama because the actor playing him already posted goodbye pictures with the other actors.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

40 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

Dear @Lmangla - I am glad that you did a poll!! :wub:

Let's see... We already witnessed 6 murders/deaths so far...!!! Empress So Hyun, Wang Sik's mom, granny, Ma Pil Joo, chief guard & chief Hong! Then I am in a dilemma. option 2 or option 3.?. I say option 3. 

And for those who  might disappear/would disappear, I vote for both Ari & her Nanny MOM!!! 

kekeke... I agree! ari and nanny are both terrible. @stroppyse calls yura + emperor + his mom as triumvirate of evil but even they don't annoy me as these two who creep me out. so had to think about it and here's why. this bermuda triangle is at parts buffoonery and downright silly but they are human. they are often confused and making up plans as they go, constantly getting outwitted, feel pain, doubt, despair, confusion and yes, a bit of love. in other words, they are bad humans but they still come across as human. had to laugh when penguin's mama wailed "but I want that island! grandmother only gave me this painting??"... in the end, we know that these 3 will reap what they sow and so it is more amusing to see them...

in contrast, ari and nanny come across as diabolical with no feeling except cunning and greed. their every action has been two faced and it is hard to see if there is any human beating heart at all!

30 minutes ago, nakatsubebe said:

Are we talking about kill counts from the next episode onwards? I'll take option 2. Hahaha we have to start counting bodies from now on to know if we got our bet. We need a villain dead because so far our good guys are outnumbered. 

I want the nanny to go but she has her own set of goons and has the back of the PM. I want Ari to change under Sunny's care.

I was quite surprise that the chief guard killed himself. At first, I thought he could also have a fake death with yura conspiring since they are the only 2 left in the room after lee hyuk gave him the poison. Yura doesn't trust woobin anyway so she can use the chief guard (but he is no use inside the palace since lee hyuk ordered him dead, perhaps outside?). But I guess he is really dead in the drama because the actor playing him already posted goodbye pictures with the other actors.

kekeke... yea, we are talking about kill counts from next episode onwards. so yea, we do need to start counting. :sweatingbullets:

from what they have shown of ari, it feels like a demonic child who ran away from some OCN horror/ghost show onto SBS :ph34r:.. her rudeness, outright scheming and putting on a child act when it suits her makes her seem so diabolical that it is hard to expect any genuine niceness.. so far, sunny doesn't seem very sunny to change anyone! :lol:

and I actually thought the guard was forced to kill himself and it wasn't voluntarily. so yura probably had someone do it was my assumption...

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

4 hours ago, nakatsubebe said:

I was quite surprise that the chief guard killed himself.

This actually leads me to a point about this drama that I think is a weakness. It can't seem to make up its mind about how much authority and impunity the emperor really has in this drama.

In an absolute monarchy, when the monarch tells a subject to kill himself, there is no doubt that it would have been done. After all, if a subject refuses, the monarch could just have him put to death anyway, plus cause his family to suffer. However, such a monarch really would have impunity from committing manslaughter or even murder since he would be above the law, unless there is a coup of some kind. The fact that Hyuk has access to a powerful paralytic drug prepared already in lethal doses already seems to indicate that he has administered it to recalcitrant subjects before.

However, the monarchy that this drama depicts isn't a totalitarian regime. Rather, they seem to be depicting a constitutional monarchy of some kind, especially given that they are concerned about the popularity of the royal family.

In that scenario, it doesn't really make sense that the chief guard kills himself immediately on Hyuk's order. While loyal, he didn't seem so devoted that he would do anything and everything for the monarchy, unlike Hong's devotion to the GDE. And, if he had just walked out of the palace, it's not as if Hyuk could mobilize the national police or military to hunt him down and kill him. And, the chief guard clearly didn't want to die.

So, this drama is treating this monarchy as betwixt and between as it suits her narrative. I suppose it's just a story after all, and it is some vaguely unspecified alternative history. It's just that inconsistencies like this kind of bug me while I'm watching. So, even though I'm actually rather glad that the chief guard is no longer around to harass WS since, as someone pointed out, the bad guys outnumber the good guys by a lot right now, this felt like yet another obfuscation to an already vague monarchy.

Sorry about the tangent. On the other hand, the actors are doing an amazing job with their various roles. For instance, I think SSR showing Hyuk being such an evil person who is also unknowingly conspiring in his own demise in a buffoonery of sorts, and also able to bring a level of pathos to the character and making him more than a caricature is really fantastic. I think all of the major figures are able to show both positive and negative sides to their characters.

Finally, a comment about Ah Ri. I think she's redeemable. I think she's been under the negative influence of the palace where she has been ignored and verbally abused by the person she had thought was her parent (the princess), groomed to please only the ones in power by the one who was actually raising her (the nanny who unknown to her was her birth mother), and pretty much ignored and disdained by the one she saw as being the pinnacle of that power (the emperor who unknown to her was her real father). Plus, she's been catered to by the palace staff, to a point, as of royal blood if not important in the line of succession. She's also a smart, precocious child. I can see how learning about her true birth combined with the thought of being able to command the attention that she couldn't get enough of before is going to her head. I think that under SN's care, she can learn to be an actual child. Remember, under the nanny, AR was in constraint training of royal subjects rather than being allowed to play. So, once AR can become a child again, and get the attention and love that she craves and yet hasn't had her entire life, I think she can become a force for good rather than a potential future monster.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

However, the monarchy that this drama depicts isn't a totalitarian regime. Rather, they seem to be depicting a constitutional monarchy of some kind, especially given that they are concerned about the popularity of the royal family.

From my observations , the writer is not consistent as to the extent and influence of the monarchy .She is of course setting up her own world since it is an alternate Korea, but in some ways there is some realism here because it is very similar to countries like Thailand and Malaysia where I am from. The monarchy is constitutional , so the law of the land is decided by an elected parliament. Amendments to the constitution is debated and decided by the elected members of Parliament / senate. But at the same time, the King is required to give consent and can overrule Parliament on some occasions though in practice, the King would consult the Prime Minister. So actual power does not quite belong to the King but yet the politicians and the imperial family are dependent on each other . It is somewhat similar here.  That is why the power struggle here is so complex and conflicted.. And  this is likely why the Imperial family in this drama is very keen on public approval , and is making sure they have their influence not only in politics but in the economy. Very interesting

I have to applaud the young actress playing Ari. I find her character to be even scarier than Min Yu Ra. She's only 9 or 10 but she's ahead of her years when it come to scheming and manipulating. Of course the apple does not fall far from the tree. She is a product of nurture and nature . But I agree that it is not to late to "save" her. 

The last episode was particularly satisfying. I think they could not have found a better actress than Jang Nara to play Oh Sunny. From naive and ingenuous,  she's now braver, wiser and more confident- she's gone through a very well paced realistic transformation . She's clearly got a plan here. Can't wait to see what she's going to do and hoping hot guard and her will team up soon :D

wTBGnew.png

@Lmangla option 2 for me :D 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, triplem said:

I have to applaud the young actress playing Ari. I find her character to be even scarier than Min Yu Ra. She's only 9 or 10 but she's ahead of her years when it come to scheming and manipulating. Of course the apple does not fall far from the tree. She is a product of nurture and nature . But I agree that it is not to late to "save" her. 

think she is supposed to be 7!!!! :blink: can you imagine such scheming at 7 even if she is a genius? can't remember where but based on the conversation with emperor mama, penguin had a one night stand with nanny 7 years either before or after the previous empress death. can someone confirm if I got this right?

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

Why does everyone want to get rid of Ah Ri?  I like her and while she was brought up as a little adult she has the chance to change. She was a happy go lucky girl when she was dancing with GED.  I want the nanny to go.  What's up with the relationship between the nanny and LH?  was she just a one night stand for him?  I know she was the former Empress servant, and I believe that her relationship with LH lead to the death of Empress SH.  Why was she not the next empress?  

• Like 12

Yeah  little Ari can make me feel chilled yet amused simultaneously.  haha   However it seems her behavior stems from self-survivor instinct, as she is uncannily smart which makes it easy for her to scan her situation and adjust to it accordingly.  

At the beginning of EP1(which takes place 2019-1/17)  Ari was playing in the yard like any normal child at that age. And it appeared she got the princess title. 

Maybe Ari dropped her bio mom and sided with Sunny because of Sunny’s fortune but over time Sunny was able to bring her back to who she really is, a smart bright girl.   Ari can be a good asset for Sunny, because she knows many things in the palace.

I read  Oh Ah Rin(Ari) appeared in the writer’s Sister is Alive and she created great chemistry with the lead.  The writer must be impressed by her.   I have a feeling she will create good chemistry with JNR.

8dSMs65.png

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20181221192322084

** In case someone missed about this: The current eps are about the past.    In EP1, the live news shows the present time in 2019/1/17(Th) which falls on EP18 (my guessing with the actual calendar) when the mummy is discovered.  

Lk52Upc.png

On 12/21/2018 at 7:56 PM, AlexandraReid said:

filming

it seems like SSR had to use the stick due to his injured foot.

SSR also wears some kind of a special shoe for the injured foot. 

I wondered if he got injured during a rampage crashing over things like knocking down a bookcase.  I guess he couldn’t do it again till he recovers.  But without ranting and raging he might look wimpy.  Either he could use a stunt double or order WB to do it for him.  haha Maybe WB could do it topless since I don’t feel there will be any love line in this drama. :(   It seems our writer is too occupied in creating villains to think of anything else <_<

uIy3aEi.gif

cr to DC

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

conflicted about ari

amused by her wickedness and cunning thinking

vs seriously thinking that kid her age shouldnt be like that

hopefully under sunny's protection and guidance (i dunno how she will get that slotted into her revenge planner)

ari will grow into normal kid, semi normal kid at least

enjoying the last two ep

and bravo to sunny to up make her mind already

let the wheels spin now

i do hope that her family went into hiding just so that she wont be burdened with their safety just yet

though hello might come into the palace to help her sis and that might drive yoon to go back to the palace as well 

for her and woo bin

i think dont rush the romance of whatever

they can work together without working together too i guess

sunny needs to be able to save her own richard simmons before finding herself falling for someone

for now the focus should be on wrecking havoc in the emperial household

hahaha

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Lmangla said:

think she is supposed to be 7!!!! :blink: can you imagine such scheming at 7 even if she is a genius? can't remember where but based on the conversation with emperor mama, penguin had a one night stand with nanny 7 years either before or after the previous empress death. can someone confirm if I got this right?

Another poll whahaa    I agree there are many nameless minions swimming around too.  Hopefully WB with  bloody eyes will chopchop them mercilessly?    Sorry at the moment I feel rather frustrated with the pace of OTP love line which looks more like a dying breed in this crazy imperial household.  :persevere:
So option3;  yes to revolution, chopchop   haha 

PS Nanny was supposed to be a secretary to Soheon empress.  I think nanny did something to sow suspicion in LH’s head about the empress. I’m guessing she had a one-night stand before the empress died. It’s possible she is the one who killed the empress.  But why did LH cut off her like that?  

17 hours ago, supergal99 said:

:sweatingbullets:ops sorray for the sudden 'intrusion'- juz flying in to drop this award incase she really really ..disappear :grimace:

2018 Best DramaMaMa award -> child actress Oh Ah Rin*:

*phewweet...!!*

Ok chill dont throw popcorns at me ya!

*flies off quickly*:glasses:

Spoiler

Edit: ops forgot to add this (real) award:

2018 SBS drama music award

Hellooo good to see you  Hopefully there will be more of your flying by intrusion  haha   I’m glad  Ari caught your eye!! :lol:

@nakatsubebe

Oh good to know you are better.   I feel the same way about WB and Sunny. I feel like the writer is too busy with other things to think about OTP love line.  If the writer has any generous feeling for OTP, she might put down a line about a deep side glance between them.  Yeah I better wait for his next drama to see a toe curling love line from him. hehe  :P

EADxlXk.gif

zcS29AY.gif

cr to DC

• Like 8

I’m fine with the very slow brewing romance, if there’s any. 

I just want to see what schemes the empress has up her sleeves. 

Spoiler

That could also be that my thirst for romance is satisfied by other current dramas. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

@Lmangla placing my bet: Option 2, and I'm guessing the next person disappearing is Nanny.

Now I wonder, is the PM a good person being used/manipulated by Nanny? considering Grandmama wanted to hand over those documents to him..... Or is he another evil being too?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Now I wonder, is the PM a good person being used/manipulated by Nanny? considering Grandmama wanted to hand over those documents to him..... Or is he another evil being too?

my feel is that he is being manipulated by nanny. notice how she promises him that they will be together and how she and ari are grateful. she always seems keen on seducing him. so maybe he has some ulterior motives like power but there is also some romantic honey pot kind of trap happening where he might see himself as the hero who saves this woman and child and they become his family.

• Like 5

On 12/22/2018 at 4:24 PM, Lmangla said:

alright chingus -- "the kill count!" bet sword-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455363

option 1: this isn't OCN with bad depressing lighting! surprised-red-crab-emoticon.gif?12924553so maybe few : maybe another 1-5?

option 2: this is a modern saeguk! what's a saeguk without some tragedy? thinking-red-crab-emoticon.gif?129245536so a few more + miscellaneous random people from palace we don't care about: so maybe another 6-10? --  @ktcjdrama  @triplem @nakatsubebe

option 3: they are taking down the monarchy, it will be a revolution! ops-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455361: so maybe more than 10? --  @booha  @gm4queen

place your bets chingus!

also, you can place your bet on who you expect next that might disappear.... or wish that would disappear... 

my vote -- ari!

@gm4queen ~ ari & nanny

@ktcjdrama ~ nanny

I vote for option 2. Maybe some palace workers and guards will be killed with the emperor's bad temper. I also have a feeling yura and nanny will be killed too. They might also kill the prime minister since he seems to be quite hard for the mama queen to handle. Omooo..so many possible victims :sweatingbullets:. I hope sunny and her family survives till the end hohoho

• Like 6

December 23, 2018

December Brand Reputation Rankings For Drama Actors Revealed

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

Spoiler

December Brand Reputation Rankings For Drama Actors Revealed

The Korean Business Research Institute has announced this month’s brand reputation rankings for drama actors!

The rankings were determined through a data analysis of the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community indexes of 100 actors who appeared in dramas that aired between November 20 and December 21.

Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo, the stars of tvN’s “Encounter,” topped this month’s list at No. 1 and No. 2 respectively. Park Bo Gum took first place with a brand reputation index of 14,837,092, while Song Hye Kyo followed close behind with a score of 13,334,953.

Meanwhile, actor Hyun Bin came in at No. 3 for the month with a total brand reputation index of 8,110,227.

Check out this month’s top 30 below!

1. Park Bo Gum
2. Song Hye Kyo
3. Hyun Bin
4. Lee Seol
5. Han Go Eun
6. Uee
7. Kim Yoo Jung
8. Lee Min Jung
9. Jo Bo Ah
10. Park Shin Hye
11. Yoon Kyun Sang
12. Lee Jong Suk
13. Yoo Seung Ho
14. Jang Nara
15. Lee Elijah

16. Shin Ha Kyun
17. Lee Joo Young
18. Park Se Wan
19. Shin Hye Sun
20. Choi Jin Hyuk
21. Shin Sung Rok

22. Lee Yoo Jin
23. Kim Young Ok
24. So Yi Hyun
25. Jung Yu Mi
26. So Yoo Jin
27. Jang Seung Jo
28. Kim Gun Woo
29. Kim Sun Ah
30. Park Hoon

Source (1)

• Like 6

UPDATED: we certainly are a blood thirsty lot! hahahha... none of us are expecting option 1. :lol:

so far, 2 villains (Ma pil joo & chief guard) have been killed, 4 good people killed (grandma, mom of wang shik, queen so hyun, chief hong) and 1 fake death of wang shik, miscellaneous people (the royal guard who went missing, his brother who attempted to kill emperor + 2 or 3 buddies) , all together about 10ish folks. going forward, how many more characters will disappear? 

"the kill count!" bet  sword-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455363

option 2: this is a modern saeguk! what's a saeguk without some tragedy? thinking-red-crab-emoticon.gif?129245536so a few more + miscellaneous random people from palace we don't care about: so maybe another 6-10? -- lmangla @katakwasabi  @ktcjdrama  @triplem @nakatsubebe

option 3: they are taking down the monarchy, it will be a revolution! ops-red-crab-emoticon.gif?1292455361: so maybe more than 10? --  @booha  @gm4queen

place your bets chingus!

my vote -- ari!

@gm4queen ~ ari & nanny

@ktcjdrama ~ nanny

@katakwasabi ~ some palace workers and guards will be killed with the emperor's bad temper. also have a feeling yura and nanny will be killed too. They might also kill the prime minister

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello chingus! I was so sick the whole day & couldn't catch up with you guys!!!

So what's going on in the palace..? Dear @Lmangla - the list of deceased people is already exceeding 10..? Then what to expect in up coming eps..? :sweatingbullets: And am I the only one who think that the prime minister is framing/ betraying/ cunning by the nanny..?! Also, I feel that the detective guy knows something about the royal family that they are falsely framing Sunny as granny's murderer..?! :crazy:

Anyway, waiting for the next week!!

WOW! All the leads are in the list of Top 30! :thumbsup: Good luck, guys!!

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

CJH treated the staffs with a buffet.  It must be for the holiday.   CJH didn’t wear his  bodyguard uniform??    **JNR team couldn’t make it on time so the company set aside a vip section for them.

https://m.blog.naver.com/yssin2848/221425431158

Spoiler

zCNDMcv.jpg?1

7Pw8WCJ.jpg?1

tFtxkuZ.jpg?1

t9XVNeL.jpg

Spoiler

C8SAx2S.jpg?2

XrALyTR.jpg?2

nFjnjh8.jpg?1

Spoiler

xgNO2NG.jpg?1

0gwx6YQ.jpg?1

Spoiler

GFEXSqh.jpg?1

R35nXX9.jpg?1

Spoiler

oUorI4n.jpg

a61tm3F.jpg

pmJGam1.jpg

@gm4queen

ohoh  sorry to hear,  take care   fZnFtgu.gif  :relieved:

• Like 7

Thanks a lot, dear @booha :wub: I am a bit fine now!!!

And 2 days to go! Oh, did they release this week's preview or am I missing something..?!! Looks like there's a lot to happen in upcoming eps. Now I need something between Sunny & Wang Sik! We are almost half-way through the series.

• Like 10

I agree with the comments on Ari's character.  When she is acting bad, it reminds me of the Emperor's sister, the woman who all along Ari thought of as her Mother.  The only difference is that Ari has a brain and is not just acting out like the pea brain  princess.  I guess Sonny will show Ari what real motherly love is.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the festive season.  Happy Holidays to those who don't :)

• Like 8

I read that K-communications commission decided to review TLE for provocative/suggestive scenes.   There must be a lot of complaints from K-viewers about the early scenes.  Since TLE is for 15 and above, the commission has no choice but to investigate whether TLE crossed the line.   I think TLE took a chance putting such scenes at the early stage to compete against Encounter.  Now TLE has built its own momentum with viewers through crazy but addictive plot lines so it can safely discard such in-the-face kind of scenes.  hehe  I noticed the ratings for Encounter were sliding. It will be interesting to see how the commission will decide.

Spoiler

Tyf6Ndw.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20181223083005814

2 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Thanks a lot, dear @booha :wub: I am a bit fine now!!!

And 2 days to go! Oh, did they release this week's preview or am I missing something..?!! Looks like there's a lot to happen in upcoming eps. Now I need something between Sunny & Wang Sik! We are almost half-way through the series.

Still no preview    I had to assume TLE is still busy shooting for this week.    Now it’s #1 on w/th. It means TLE team must be feeling a lot of pressure to keep staying on the top. 

2 hours ago, O said:

I agree with the comments on Ari's character.  When she is acting bad, it reminds me of the Emperor's sister, the woman who all along Ari thought of as her Mother.  The only difference is that Ari has a brain and is not just acting out like the pea brain  princess.  I guess Sonny will show Ari what real motherly love is.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the festive season.  Happy Holidays to those who don't :)

haha  there is a new Ari in the opening scene of EP1.  It’s from the present time (2010/1/17 Th)   Ari is playing in the yard instead of stuck in the room with books and lessons.  If you look at closely her, she has changed.  Also she is a princess. 

Currently we are watching things that happened from a year ago.

XRdtwGk.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20181223133805345

0qZHKzI.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20181224085748003

• Like 8