[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

Well I just read  that could the first empress be the daughter of WS’s mentor/savior?  ((*sorry I don’t have the software for screencap ))
The vase shows her name 변(last name)현진 and WS’s mentor has the last name 변(Byeon) :o

O5dQSRT.gif

cr to DC

On 12/6/2018 at 8:37 PM, at2005 said:

Ahhh funny how I didn't find that scene heart wrenching/tear jerking. Not that JNR didn't act well enough for me to feel her pain as I could see her disbelief and her pain on her face and in her eyes. I felt a slight of happiness and found myself relieved as WS was there with her. His covering her eye action was a bit late but I could feel his intention of saving her from the same pain that caused by a betrayal of a loved one. His action touched my heart.

haha  I realize that I forgot to say it was music which made me laugh.  Right after Sunny’s bracelet broke off,  music sounded off.  The scene reminded me of typical old classic movie scene. I know it’s so cheesily sentimental, yet  I like it.  A scene like that makes my face drool over it.  haha   Yeah my head says it’s so cheesy but my emotion says more more.  lol    JNR did great by showing so much feeling in that instant when Sunny noticed what WB did for her.  :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, booha said:

Well I just read  that could the first empress be the daughter of WS’s mentor/savior?  ((*sorry I don’t have the software for screencap ))
The vase shows her name 변(last name)현진 and WS’s mentor has the last name 변(Byeon) :o

:o indeed.... I am going to say that she is his daughter and that's why he left his position in the palace. 

The mystery is getting more intricate... love it!

Btw, am I the only one who is reminded of King Elvis by that white golden long robe of LH? :lol:

updating the jailbird poll : "who put yura in jail?"

option A: penguin's mother --- she doesn't need an excuse; she will cook up something if there wasn't one... @Lmangla  @ktcjdrama

option B: the sister bird -- she is mad she lost her CEO position and is cawing like a crow

option C: grandmother -- she is sad her hairpin didn't kill her and decides to cool her in a cell --  matilda_anne's mom

option D: sunny! -- the fangs have arrived. @booha  @stella77  @Matilda_Anne  @alekaonu  @nakatsubebe @at2005 @ChewyChocolate

what is your choice chingus? do you think sunny is bloodthirsty yet?

@booha ~ ooh, the mystery deepens; so the old empress may even be a relative of that jedi master. he could be her uncle, brother or cousin besides being dad...

@ktcjdrama ~ kekekek, I sort of like his dramatic white pajamas and cape because penguin looks like a fun version of angry ghost. hahahahha.. and I love how he has tiger embroidered on even his suits and jackets. is this the elvis suit you are talking about? am not sure if penguin can pull this off though? :sweatingbullets:

c7155ee1e5572315d18977d11078495e.jpg

P.S ~ we have a new event virtual angel where we play a sort of secret santa/angel game and cheer each other on. do join us and check out the events section. kamsamihda! hoping to see some of you there.

18 hours ago, chubby^green^ said:

i find him too adorable in go back couple and kinda not ship them two in the story but was hoping that they could do a drama together as a couple

Yup me too. That's how I discovered and like Jang Ki Young from Go Back Couple. I still can't forget the way he stared at Nara's character in the drama. Looking forward to see both Jang Ki Young and Jang Nara as the main couple soon. OMG I just realized now that both of them are "Jang". So funny that I never realized it before.

21 hours ago, Lmangla said:

here's another poll: "who put yura in jail?"

option A: penguin's mother --- she doesn't need an excuse; she will cook up something if there wasn't one...

option B: the sister bird -- she is mad she lost her CEO position and is cawing like a crow

option C: grandmother -- she is sad her hairpin didn't kill her and decides to cool her in a cell

option D: sunny! -- the fangs have arrived.

Annyeong chingu deul :) hi @Lmangla chingu, I will choose Option D :D

@Lmangla

i choose sunny! my mother said the grandmama coz she has more power than sunny..

edited comment —> mom said the grandmama will put yura in jail on behalf of sunny and lee hyuk will be angry at her and kill the grandmama. sunny will see the killing and decided enough is enough.. bam! she turns salty and seek revenge. 

omo i love this thread.. always has a poll to keep us guessing.. please make a new poll every week! 

This drama moves faster than the wind and I can't wait till next week! There's so many subplots going on right now. I wonder what that nanny is up to and why did the late empress pass away that makes the King so mad thinking of her. And how will CJH and JNR get together in the palace, what about the younger brother of the king? Will the grandma pass away??? What is going to happen!! ahhhhhh

11 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

:o indeed.... I am going to say that she is his daughter and that's why he left his position in the palace. 

The mystery is getting more intricate... love it!

Btw, am I the only one who is reminded of King Elvis by that white golden long robe of LH? :lol:

The mentor had a weird expression when WB mentioned the Emperor. The emperor said WB's fighting style is very familiar.

Does anyone find it strange when they switch back & forth from 'old set' to modern? When they whip out a mobile phone or I see the ear piece the guards use, I feel I went down the rabbit hole to another dimension!

13 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I just started watching this and completed the first 2 episodes. Has anyone yet raised why the Emperor had a sudden change of heart towards Min Yura, from wanting her dead to now wanting to marry her? All because she wanted to take the fall for him on the accident? Doesn't seem to make sense to me. If I were the Emperor, wouldn't that just be the perfect end to all his troubles if she had actually died?

13 hours ago, at2005 said:

yeap, it makes more sense and cleaner to kill Yu Ra. I think he kept kept her alive to use her against his mother. I am debating on LH/the emperor's character. Sometimes he shows himself as a weak man, immature and afraid to take responsibility for his action/crime. His mother says he easily trusts ppl and has a soft heart But then other times, he seems to be a cunning, wicked psycho who us not right in the head and always manipulates ppl around him

Im actually wondering if he even really has ‘fallen’ for YR. I say this because when we find out it was LH that had been behind the crane incident, he tells his guy not to tell YR. is this maybe because he doesn’t want her to know he’s capable of hurting whoever, maybe even her, to do what he wants? Is it maybe he’s using her in his revenge scheme against his mother? He holds a grudge against her to this day cause he thinks the mom is responsible for his first wife’s death?

After the big revelation I'm wondering how Sunni decides to act? I was sure she  wouldn't let LH near her or play a happy couple card. But judging from the preview it looks just like that. Like she still can't let go of her infatuation with the Emperor and continues to fight for *their love*.  I mean I can understand that it's imposible to just shut down these feelings she had for LH for so long, but I'm surprised she still stubbornly has some faith in her husband when he lies her in the face and making it seem like she is the one at fault. I hope there is the catch. Sunni is smart and won't be easily fooled now even if deep down she wants to. She won't be able to look at LH the same way she did before even if she tries to deny the obvious. She know realized she doesn't know the man she calls her husband. So will she gives him one more chance? Or will she opts to wait and see, being on guard now and trying to test LH?

I really don't want to see the *it's all her fault, she seduced him first* scenario. I know Sunni can do better than that and she is surely not one of those who'd let to step on her like that. This girl has dignity and backbone so I do hope the preview is misleading...

Otherwise it looks like one last wake up call is needed and that is gonna be Grandma's death.

Hello. I just started watching this drama and marathon till the latest episode. I think Jung Soon is not dead yet. I got the feeling that the Ahjusshi that help Wang Shik is the Jung Soon that went missing. When WooBin and Lee Hyuk fight on the sword scene, he said the fighting style seem familiar and he ask where did Woo Bin learned it. So Lee Hyuk recognize the fighting style. It's possible that the Ahjusshi saving Woo Bin is Jung Soon. 

Throughout the show I was hoping Sunny and Lee Hyuk will be together. But now episode 12 already still no progression between their love line. So I guess there will be no romance between this two? Feel sad that they won't cause i was hoping it will happen. I guess Sunny will be with Woo Bin???? 

Yoon So Yi Gets On Her Knees To Plead With Jang Nara In “The Last Empress”

Yoon So Yi Gets On Her Knees To Plead With Jang Nara In âThe Last Empressâ

Things are getting even more complicated and tense for the characters of SBS’s drama “The Last Empress.”

SBS’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “The Last Empress” is set in an alternate universe where Korea has a constitutional monarchy. The drama has been enjoying a rise in viewership ratings, recording its personal best with its latest episode and scoring double-digit ratings.

Spoiler

The latest episode showed Empress Oh Sunny (Jang Nara) seeing Emperor Lee Hyuk (Shin Sung Rok) and Min Yu Ra (Lee Elijah) canoodling aboard a cruise ship with her own eyes. She spilled tears of betrayal, signaling the bleak future that is set to fall upon Oh Sunny.

The episode also showed Oh Sunny beginning to feel suspicious of Seo Kang Hee (Yoon So Yi), the nanny of Princess Ari (Oh Ah Rin). Oh Sunny had told off Princess Ari for treating her nanny poorly, but Seo Kang Hee directed her anger at Oh Sunny. When Princess So Jin (Lee Hee Jin) got drunk and started mistreating her daughter Princess Ari, Seo Kang Hee spoke up against her and in a fit of rage, Princess So Jin revealed that Princess Ari’s birth mother was actually Seo Kang Hee.

The new stills show Seo Kang Hee on her knees handing documents to Oh Sunny, who looks a little shellshocked. The situation is completely different from before as Oh Sunny sits with a ferocious glint in her eye while Seo Kang Hee has her head down and is stating her case with desperation in her voice. It will be interesting to see what has led the two to this point and what kind of conversation they share.

The production staff stated, “In the last episode, the truth behind Princess Ari and Seo Kang Hee was revealed, opening the doors of more conflict to come. Please keep watching to see how Empress Oh Sunny begins to fight through the hardships that keep coming her way, and what result their conversation will bring.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1275845wpp/yoon-yi-gets-knees-plead-jang-nara-last-empress

Looking at twitter, there are a lot of tweets about this drama and ratings are increasing in Korea too. It's getting the attention it deserves and more are getting addicted :lol: Welcome to everyone who just joined in and for the lurkers out there, feel free to join our crazy discussions about our crazy drama :D

Picked this up from DC and twitter. Empress dowager might have a nightmare with this :lol:

Dt5j0kZXcAAMTHm.jpg

Byeon teacher   Kim Myeong Su (60s) Head of the imperial anti-faction
Byeon Bag Ho   A benefactor who saved WS’s life.
He is a former head of the presidential guard, now living in the countryside in seclusion.
Seven years ago, he gave up and left as the guard leader, and after that he seems to cut off from the outside world,
but, in fact, he is a head of the eagle, which is the imperial anti-faction.
After he rescues WS, he helps WS to revenge and works together to topple the imperial family

@Lmangla

Here is the character description of jedi master Byeon.  Maybe he has to relate to the imperil family in some way. Otherwise how he can safely hide in the countryside?  He is 60. It means he can be the father of the first empress?
So there is this mystery connection between the first empress and the jedi master. Another mystery crumb dropped by the writer   haha  I’m still so amazed that someone spotted the name on the urn.  Or just luck  

@Lmangla said    option D: sunny! -- the fangs have arrived.

option D Sunny ;

I want to pick a granny dowager since LH might have a hard time overriding her decision but it would be more fun if it’s Sunny who put MYR in the dungeon. ^_^   The writer has proven she could come out with an unexpected plot line so why not make Sunny suddenly discover a hidden power in her sapphire necklace  to put MYR in the dungeon. haha    Sorry I don’t know actually what the hidden power is but I trust the writer’s fertile imagination to make it believable.  hahha 

Wow who would expect the mustache guy got knocked out this early. Too bad it wasn’t Sunny.:(  So here is the real Rocky for substitution.  hahaha  :wacko::lol:

vaPKL0H.gif

On 12/6/2018 at 9:26 AM, Lmangla said:

hahahaha.... take it from me, once you fall in love with makjang, you will always think it is amazing. it is like one of the comments on naver -- it a lot like instant noodles and cannot be compared with healthy food :sweatingbullets:

so caught up on ep 5 and it was fantastic. while the anime sequence made me giggle as we are not used to seeing it in drama, it was well done and apt in terms of fighting and lighting. so long time ago, one of my favourite anime was kenshin and penguin emperor reminds me of the villain shishio. he also happened to have a lady sidekick named yumi makato -- think of an anime version of penguin and yura plotting away...

Spoiler

now in terms of colours and expressions, something that they often showed in anime fight sequences is how the true self comes out. so we see almost a demonic version of penguin with his expressions, tongue slithering and blue background whereas, we see wang shik is still himself but in a red background.... with anime fight sequences, red background is all emotion and shows a person isn't quite in control and there is a lot of rage and inner turmoil whereas a blue one is almost more scarier because there is coldness and possibly dark magic.

so if we remove the comedy feel of all of a sudden seeing anime in a drama, there is almost an epic fantasy tale being told and the anime sequence tells you the inner world of these two men. it is telling us that the emperor is not all quite there and he is darker than the charming self we see outside while wang shik is in pain but that innocence/kindness is still there...

Thank you for explaining about anime.  At first I wasn’t quite sure why they put in those anime sequences.   Then I thought about what you said about their inner feelings.  Yes this anime showed their inner rage and pain vividly.  Yet we know how these two are going to deal with them.  LH is consumed by them and eventually will lose himself.  For WB, though he is still in a rage and pain but  this pain makes him understand how Sunny felt and to reach out to her with compassion(/’kindness’ )

Spoiler

0A5r5fl.png

cr to DC

Archived