[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick one line summary: About multiple individuals at court struggling physically and emotionally to find power, love or both and more.

It is more than just cheating. Took from the above post by Maltida_Anne:

It has omedy, thriller, sex, angst, betrayal, murder..also revenge, mysteries..

Talking about cheating. Hmmm..Wonder if they were going to portray Sunny as a traditional female where she would have to constantly battle with the developing feeling toward WS since she was not only a married woman but aat the same time an empress (people's person) as well?

Just saw episode 5 — 

I am so enjoying this drama - it is all over the place and like on crack but soooo entertaining!

I

Spoiler

laughed out loud when Sunny started to sing, the card game with the Grandma Queen and the intense 2D animation intercut during sword fighting scene (which was intense!).  I also got teary when WS left his DS in the woods (so glad he went back for him)! So so happy that WS found out about Yura; oh yah I love how evil the Emperor and his mother are lol; Grandma Queen’s throwing the hairpin at Yura was amaaaaazing (I know she will probably get killed by Yura but I don’t want her to go so sooon!). Finally, a spark of a more interesting Sunny - her glare at the end was fascinating and I hope Sunny 2.0 will also be amazing! 

@blademan what is the name of the artist and the song? I really like this song. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Matilda_Anne said:

after the emperor had sex with yura, he slept with sunny. wow his stamina must be really strong.. maybe he drinks ginseng tea that day lol.. jokes aside, i read the plot synopsis by dramawiki and it says,

"Due to death of Emperor Lee Hyuk’s grandmother, Oh Ssu-Ni breaks down the royal family with the help of Na Wang-Sik and finds true love"...

guess there will be romance between hot hunk and sunny after all..oh grandmama will die soon. 

Haaaa??? The grandma's dead?? She's the only one who likes & supports the empress... So the latter will be left alone and then will find an ally in CWB? 

14 minutes ago, peyutnduy said:

Haaaa??? The grandma's dead?? She's the only one who likes & supports the empress... So the latter will be left alone and then will find an ally in CWB? 

yep she will die soon.. maybe yura will kill her in tonight’s episode. i didnt watch the stream tonight.. i think sunny will avenge her death :sweatingbullets:

15 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

yep she will die soon.. maybe yura will kill her in tonight’s episode. i didnt watch the stream tonight.. i think sunny will avenge her death :sweatingbullets:

Grandma is still alive. Don't worry :D but I don't know how and when she's gonna die. 

They always make the last scene epic and it is epic tonight. I love that scene.

Spoiler

Oh Sunny now have seen with her own eyes the infidelity of min yura and lee hyuk. She is deeply hurt and Woo bin is with her who is also hurting seeing yura and lee hyuk kiss. Woo bin knows how much it hurts for Sunny and he covers her eyes to stop her from seeing them kiss and possibly stop her hurt.

The next episode looks like it's building up more. 

But at least, there is one evil person out and it's Ma Pil Joo. 

And they tried to kill "Na Wang Shik" who they don't know has seven lives. :lol:

Hello all  :heart:  I've been following this drama trough recaps because it's just so interesting,

but I think I'll start actually watching the episodes from this week on lol

I forgot the airtime so I've saw only the very last minute of today episode:

Spoiler

there's a boat full of lights and the emperor and YR are there in front kissing passionately

SN is watching from the bridge above, gorgeous NWS is beside her

she tears up a tear fall on her bracelet and the bracelet breaks lol

NWS puts a hand in front of her eyes, they're both beautiful and devasted

love them

CAN'T wait to watch the whole thing

7 hours ago, nikki7 said:

TLE & Encounter are really fighting it off in ratings. Is anybody here watching Encounter?

me! park bo gum and song hye kyo are both gorgeous people and such good actors. the cinematography is pretty too, however, the OTP are lacking chemistry for me.. i just dont see them as lovers..i dunno why.. maybe the age gap thingy isnt my thing.. besides, the plot is quite slow and bland. i dropped it after 2 ep.. 

omo am i a newly converted makjang lover? am i slowly turning into my mother? :joy:

Just happened to watch tonight's eps just for Jang Na Ra even though I dropped the series so earlier...

At the end of the 12th ep when Oh Sunny witnessed the intimacy of Lee Hyuk & Min Yu Ra, tears feel down on Oh Sunny's hand & her couple bracelet broke down in to pieces!!! :cold_sweat: So sad!!! :( But love the cinematography!!!

So now that the real hunt begins!!! And I think I should come back & watch this just for Jang Na Ra!!!! :wub: To be honest, I am not interested in the plot!!! I only watch Jang Na Ra's parts! So if I am missing something, I hope you guys will guide me on the way!! :wub:

28 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

omo am i a newly converted makjang lover? am i slowly turning into my mother? :joy:

hahahaha.... take it from me, once you fall in love with makjang, you will always think it is amazing. it is like one of the comments on naver -- it a lot like instant noodles and cannot be compared with healthy food :sweatingbullets:

so caught up on ep 5 and it was fantastic. while the anime sequence made me giggle as we are not used to seeing it in drama, it was well done and apt in terms of fighting and lighting. so long time ago, one of my favourite anime was kenshin and penguin emperor reminds me of the villain shishio. he also happened to have a lady sidekick named yumi makato -- think of an anime version of penguin and yura plotting away...

Spoiler

99e8e0db7cb0c126c90386a6d9aa1154_480.jpg

now in terms of colours and expressions, something that they often showed in anime fight sequences is how the true self comes out. so we see almost a demonic version of penguin with his expressions, tongue slithering and blue background whereas, we see wang shik is still himself but in a red background.... with anime fight sequences, red background is all emotion and shows a person isn't quite in control and there is a lot of rage and inner turmoil whereas a blue one is almost more scarier because there is coldness and possibly dark magic.

so if we remove the comedy feel of all of a sudden seeing anime in a drama, there is almost an epic fantasy tale being told and the anime sequence tells you the inner world of these two men. it is telling us that the emperor is not all quite there and he is darker than the charming self we see outside while wang shik is in pain but that innocence/kindness is still there...

32 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

me! park bo gum and song hye kyo are both gorgeous people and such good actors. the cinematography is pretty too, however, the OTP are lacking chemistry for me.. i just dont see them as lovers..i dunno why.. maybe the age gap thingy isnt my thing.. besides, the plot is quite slow and bland. i dropped it after 2 ep.. 

Maybe if it's Jang Nara and Park Bo Gum, it would be better even with the age gap (nothing against Song Hye Kyo). Jang Nara can have great chemistry with anyone, perhaps she can do it even with a pole :lol: I actually shipped her even with Bo gum in Hello Monster and also with Lee Jong suk even if she was his teacher in School 2013. But with the previous wedding rumor between her and Bo gum, I doubt that they'll work anytime soon :(

Anyway, it's not bad to be like your mom :D I remember reading a comment before that makjang dramas especially Kim Soon-ok's are very addicting like crack. I haven't done crack but yeah, we're getting a dose of this addiction :lol: I actually would be happier if this was a daily drama like what she usually does because waiting another week is like forever.

does anyone wonder who the father of dong shik will turn out to be?

Spoiler

given this is makjang, I won't be surprised if there is some plot twist and it turns out to be the emperor's kid! hahahahah.... :lol:.... or that she was a surrogate for the previous empress but with the empress death, had to come back home all broken and decides to go back to palace.... ^_^

32 minutes ago, nakatsubebe said:

Maybe if it's Jang Nara and Park Bo Gum, it would be better even with the age gap (nothing against Song Hye Kyo). Jang Nara can have great chemistry with anyone, perhaps she can do it even with a pole :lol: I actually shipped her even with Bo gum in Hello Monster and also with Lee Jong suk even if she was his teacher in School 2013. But with the previous wedding rumor between her and Bo gum, I doubt that they'll work anytime soon :(

True, it doesn’t feel weird to see her with PBG in Hello Monster. Would love to see them together again in a different drama.

Btw anyone know what Woo Bin said at the end of ep 13/14 preview? 

2 hours ago, nakatsubebe said:

Grandma is still alive. Don't worry :D but I don't know how and when she's gonna die. 

They always make the last scene epic and it is epic tonight. I love that scene.

Reveal hidden contents

But at least, there is one evil person out and it's Ma Pil Joo. 

And they tried to kill "Na Wang Shik" who they don't know has seven lives. :lol:

had to see the ending scene even if raw... awww, rocky bear is incredibly chivalrous! am totally wanting these two to fall in love now. those looks of shared pain and protecting her. :love:

Just a couple of nagging questions before I watch tonight's episodes.

Not only am I wondering who Dong Shik's father is, but why would MYR, who was already an orphan come back, a single mother to be and then when she had the baby was so adamant about not keeping it. She didn't even want to look at her child or take care of him. Was she raped? Is the father someone in a HIGH position? I just have this feeling that at some point, she is going to use that little boy to get what she wants.

Also, how is LH able to be involved with MYR and not Sunny? Every single time he looks at Sunny, he gets some sort of flashback of his first wife, but he's not like that with MYR at all. Is it because Sunny is the Empress?

What happened to his father? The Queen Dowager does not look that old, so I am curious what happened to her husband. I sense some foul play.

Too many things happened 7 years ago. The Queen Dowager's guard came up missing. MYR came back to WS and and his mom suddenly with child. The first empress ended up dead. I feel like ALL of this is connected.

Archived