[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Elijah Makes A Confident Return To The Palace In “The Last Empress”

by R. Jun

2ce049ac4e80428dbf27ab7dd37f7507.jpeg?s=

In new stills released for the upcoming December 5 episode of SBS’s “The Last Empress,” Lee Elijah (playing Min Yoo Ra) has returned to the thick of palace maneuverings after having been expelled from the palace in a previous episode by Shin Eun Kyung (the Empress Dowager).

Lee Elijah, once again a thorn in Shin Eun Kyung’s side, bears a look of determination and smug confidence in contrast to the intense displeasure of Shin Eun Kyung.

A source from the drama production said, “This scene will be exciting to watch, with the villainy of of both characters.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1272923wpp/lee-elijah-makes-confident-return-palace-last-empress

I enjoy watching the clash of these two characters.:)

HELLOOOOOOOO FELLOW PALACE CHINGUUUUS!!!!!!!

I am so glad to see so many people I have seen on other threads, and what a drama to be watching as we end the year. I knew I wanted to watch this drama as soon as I saw Choi Jin Hyuk, (yes he is hot, but he is also a really great actor), and Jang Nara. I have watched all of the episodes and I have a few takeaways.

I knew from the very beginning that YR was after the Emperor. That the Emperor had a weird relationship with his mother. That Sunny was a fangirl of the Emperor. However, the writer has taken us to the extreme on all three of these points. YR went to the bitter extreme to get a man that she shouldn't be with. No, I am not in the group that thinks she shouldn't be with the Emperor because she had a child or was in a relationship. She shouldn't be with him because she works for him. When you accept a position like that, you are accepting responsibility and pledging loyalty to the royal that you assist. This is not an opportunity for you to get hitched. 

That episode where she hits her mother/mother figure over the head and then watches as she walks out in the road and gets hit literally took the breath away from me. No matter how much I may dislike someone, watching them die is not in the equation. What struck me was how all it took was one night with the Emperor, and she stomped her way into Eomoni's restaurant and cut ties. I just wish the mother had accepted it. She just had to follow her for such a long distance, then walk up to the vacation house and then argue with her in the woods. You could feel it and sense that something terrible was going to happen. If there is one theme to this drama, it is, "When people show you who they are, BELIEVE THEM"! 

The Emperor is an overgrown mama's boy. At first, I thought he would get his way because of his position and his desire to break from his mother's watchful eye. But, he's weak and honestly, kind of stupid. He is one of those men that has to be coddled and told what to do which is a clear sign that he is the worst at being the emperor. When they first showed him and his mother together in the car and she was talking to him in this sultry voice and asking him what was the first thing he wanted to do when he returned home, the red flags went off. The Queen Dowager is like so many others I have seen in historical dramas. Once the emperor (their husband) dies and their son has to take over, they become drunk with power and instantly replace the husband with the son. She treats him like he is her lover. At first, I kind of understood why she didn't want YR with her son, but I don't think she wants him to be with anybody. Also, did I hear that right? Did they say that he had been married before?

Sunny, Sunny...I get fangirling. As a k-pop fan, I have had my moments. However, her character is 30 years-old. She still lives at home with her sister and father, a father who has been quite the burden on them and yet she walks around with this almost childlike disposition. I was trying to figure out if it was a defense mechanism or if she was really that stupid. When she was offered the money for saving the emperor's life, she succumbed to peer pressure and turned it down. Then later on, showed up at the palace randomly and begged for money in a cringey and embarrassing way. She worked for that sleazy theater director, yet the first opportunity he got an investment, he kicked her to the curb and replaced her with someone less talented. What does she do, turn around and grovel and even goes to the extent of asking the replacement for a loan. I get that she wanted to help her father, but her decision making is super flawed. Then there is her involvement with the Emperor. This is where I rolled my eyes the hardest. They had spent four moments together and ALL of them were embarrassing at best. First, she fell on him at their initial meet-cute and the take-away was all about him being a gentleman. The second time was the lunch at the palace where she showed up and damn near leveled the place as soon as she walked in the door. The third was when he showed up unexpectedly at her play as she was thrown all over the stage in a crow outfit. The fourth is when he came to the after party, where she forced fed him food most people don't eat and then proceeded to get drunk and once again, embarrass herself in front of the press. The writers have not given her one real redeeming moment to shine in front  of this man. Even when she saved his life, it got overshadowed because she almost drowned and needed NWS to save her. Someone posted that her character is supposed to have a change and some serious development and to that news, I applaud because she needs it badly. Because of her naivete' and her father's willingness to just sell her off, she has entered the palace and it is full of evil that her character couldn't handle on her best day. She is so unbelievably outmatched, that if she doesn't change, she may not make it out alive.

Here they had not even actually said, "I do", and she ended up hanging from a crane. What did her in-laws do? They ran for safety. Everyone else stood by and watched as the situations escalated and got worse. I thought, I hope her father remembers this moment as he spends the money he was given to sell of his daughter. I hope he reflects on how he almost watched her die before she could make it in the family good. The Emperor did not even bark orders to save her. He literally ran into the palace with his mother. Her family and the grandmother were the only ones who cared what was happening to her. And even after all of that, she walked around upset that the Emperor hadn't come to dote on her, even though she almost died. It's like exactly idiot, that is how much you mean to him.

All of that aside, this drama is fascinating. The acting is superb, especially the actress playing YR. Her ability to switch from pretending to be innocent to smiling sinisterly at the queen dowager is brilliant. I predict that NWS will get the chance to kill the emperor, and in that moment, he will find out YR's role in his mother's death, and his revenge will get derailed.

1 hour ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Here they had not even actually said, "I do", and she ended up hanging from a crane. What did her in-laws do? They ran for safety. Everyone else stood by and watched as the situations escalated and got worse. I thought, I hope her father remembers this moment as he spends the money he was given to sell of his daughter. I hope he reflects on how he almost watched her die before she could make it in the family good. The Emperor did not even bark orders to save her. He literally ran into the palace with his mother. Her family and the grandmother were the only ones who cared what was happening to her. And even after all of that, she walked around upset that the Emperor hadn't come to dote on her, even though she almost died. It's like exactly idiot, that is how much you mean to him.

You are spot on, but funny... I was in stitches as I read your post. 

You forget to add the massage scene; I would have loved to read your thoughts.

Many thought that this drama posts would be polarizing; however, so far, I have had a blast reading everyone's posts. Everyone have a great sense of humor.

Great post.

@nara0603

Thank you for MV video.  Gosh so much feeling in it   For the first time I began to visualize something about Sunny & WB’s love line. They look better than I expected. haha I couldn’t hardly wait to see how they would carry on and what kind of chemistry they would make. At the moment WB is completely preoccupied with LH and revenge, and Sunny is someone who is outside of his world/interest.   Still I can see how he felt about Sunny from one scene.  When he got permission for a short break from Sunny, he grabbed Sunny’s iv pole and walked off so Sunny had to follow him clumsily. I thought it was cute because it showed how THH’s WS would act like that.  Maybe he felt comfortable with Sunny because she seemed ordinary like him even though she is an empress, or he acted like that because he was still new in palace etiquette. Maybe I’m reading too much from this one act but I like a bit casual and sniping kind of interaction by them.    

hyS7mH1.gif

Spoiler

OhV5irA.gif

oFHx5Wz.gif

S0zHQwX.gif

cr to DC

11 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

HELLOOOOOOOO FELLOW PALACE CHINGUUUUS!!!!!!!

I am so glad to see so many people I have seen on other threads, and what a drama to be watching as we end the year. I knew I wanted to watch this drama as soon as I saw Choi Jin Hyuk, (yes he is hot, but he is also a really great actor), and Jang Nara. I have watched all of the episodes and I have a few takeaways.

I knew from the very beginning that YR was after the Emperor. That the Emperor had a weird relationship with his mother. That Sunny was a fangirl of the Emperor. However, the writer has taken us to the extreme on all three of these points. YR went to the bitter extreme to get a man that she shouldn't be with. No, I am not in the group that thinks she shouldn't be with the Emperor because she had a child or was in a relationship. She shouldn't be with him because she works for him. When you accept a position like that, you are accepting responsibility and pledging loyalty to the royal that you assist. This is not an opportunity for you to get hitched. 

That episode where she hits her mother/mother figure over the head and then watches as she walks out in the road and gets hit literally took the breath away from me. No matter how much I may dislike someone, watching them die is not in the equation. What struck me was how all it took was one night with the Emperor, and she stomped her way into Eomoni's restaurant and cut ties. I just wish the mother had accepted it. She just had to follow her for such a long distance, then walk up to the vacation house and then argue with her in the woods. You could feel it and sense that something terrible was going to happen. If there is one theme to this drama, it is, "When people show you who they are, BELIEVE THEM"! 

The Emperor is an overgrown mama's boy. At first, I thought he would get his way because of his position and his desire to break from his mother's watchful eye. But, he's weak and honestly, kind of stupid. He is one of those men that has to be coddled and told what to do which is a clear sign that he is the worst at being the emperor. When they first showed him and his mother together in the car and she was talking to him in this sultry voice and asking him what was the first thing he wanted to do when he returned home, the red flags went off. The Queen Dowager is like so many others I have seen in historical dramas. Once the emperor (their husband) dies and their son has to take over, they become drunk with power and instantly replace the husband with the son. She treats him like he is her lover. At first, I kind of understood why she didn't want YR with her son, but I don't think she wants him to be with anybody. Also, did I hear that right? Did they say that he had been married before?

Sunny, Sunny...I get fangirling. As a k-pop fan, I have had my moments. However, her character is 30 years-old. She still lives at home with her sister and father, a father who has been quite the burden on them and yet she walks around with this almost childlike disposition. I was trying to figure out if it was a defense mechanism or if she was really that stupid. When she was offered the money for saving the emperor's life, she succumbed to peer pressure and turned it down. Then later on, showed up at the palace randomly and begged for money in a cringey and embarrassing way. She worked for that sleazy theater director, yet the first opportunity he got an investment, he kicked her to the curb and replaced her with someone less talented. What does she do, turn around and grovel and even goes to the extent of asking the replacement for a loan. I get that she wanted to help her father, but her decision making is super flawed. Then there is her involvement with the Emperor. This is where I rolled my eyes the hardest. They had spent four moments together and ALL of them were embarrassing at best. First, she fell on him at their initial meet-cute and the take-away was all about him being a gentleman. The second time was the lunch at the palace where she showed up and damn near leveled the place as soon as she walked in the door. The third was when he showed up unexpectedly at her play as she was thrown all over the stage in a crow outfit. The fourth is when he came to the after party, where she forced fed him food most people don't eat and then proceeded to get drunk and once again, embarrass herself in front of the press. The writers have not given her one real redeeming moment to shine in front  of this man. Even when she saved his life, it got overshadowed because she almost drowned and needed NWS to save her. Someone posted that her character is supposed to have a change and some serious development and to that news, I applaud because she needs it badly. Because of her naivete' and her father's willingness to just sell her off, she has entered the palace and it is full of evil that her character couldn't handle on her best day. She is so unbelievably outmatched, that if she doesn't change, she may not make it out alive.

All of that aside, this drama is fascinating. The acting is superb, especially the actress playing YR. Her ability to switch from pretending to be innocent to smiling sinisterly at the queen dowager is brilliant. I predict that NWS will get the chance to kill the emperor, and in that moment, he will find out YR's role in his mother's death, and his revenge will get derailed.

Wow, well said! ( and yes Choi Jin Hyuk is quite hot but a really good actor - excited to see him in the forthcoming weeks!)

YR has to be one of my favorites so far in the show in terms of villains and then comes Queen Dowager. Her facial expressions are absolutely great :lol: . YR does go wrong in the terms of keeping a relationship with the Emperor (never mix business with pleasure:phew:), but I think YR wants power and she knows that the Emperor is really easy to win over...and she does like him? (Do they both like each other or are they are just confusing lust with love LOL?) 

Yeah I think Queen Dowager is obsessed with her son.. especially the scene when she shaves his face? LOL what?! Queen Dowager for sure has a hand in his first wife's death (he actually liked her) and I think sons and mothers have this really weird relationship/affection where the mother does get jealous when the son starts to give attention to another woman in his life and vice versa. This is kind of off-topic but I did learn in Literature (ino lit class? LOL) where baby boys would purposely cry just to get their mother's attention if the mother wasn't looking at them or doing something else...

The Emperor is the guy who walks around that he knows everything and has everything but really has nothing. He does have a childish/baby side to him especially how bad he feels when he found that his mother spies on him. 

Sunny is a really clueless girl but is someone who has been happy in she has gotten from life. I think because she really hasn't "ever" fallen in love and thinks her fangirling is love and her dream has come true - she really is happy with whatever she has currently. I do see her trying to manage it with the Emperor but after finding out that he doesn't love her and has been doing adultery behind her back (even though she may deny it, and accept his mistake) but slowly she's getting hints about him that he doesn't care for her even though he said he "liked" her. Right now Sunny is in that dream mode/happy space (I totally can relate LOL) but I do think her bubble will burst and that's when she'll really fight. And the father of Sunny - don't even get me started on him, he's really selfish and doesn't care for the two daughters, he does but then he doesn't.

And yes, YR is a great actress, and Jang Na Ra does a clueless/post-it girl (Fated to Love You reference LOL) great, and Choi Jin Hyuk he's my new crush along with the Emperor minus his adultery :lol: 

Well I do agree that Fathers-Daughters; Mothers-Sons often have a special bond.  I think this mother and son are really weird.  The Mother acts more like a lover.  

I do agree the actress playing YR is great but i am a bit tired of seeing her in these roles.  Like she's one-dimensional and can only be a wicked richard simmons! 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:13 AM, jjangnarafan said:

Still 

CWB vs LH

fan service!!! should we sing happy song? that too from both rocky bear and penguin emperor! :lol: ... and it is not even shower scene and so we will get to see them swimming. maybe even some swimming competition? I like watching aqua sports. :D

updating the poll -- we are all romantics at heart and so we are secretly hoping that sunny will be the one to find out about rocky bear's identity. but we can't take away the fact that rocky bear is an idiot and has the problem that all of us on diet do -- he loves food! .. and he thinks he loves yura the angel... so whose guess is correct? we will have to see... anyone else want to jump in, please do! ^_^

let's have a poll "who will find out first about rocky bear's secret identity?"

option 1: so, we love rocky bear but let's face it, he is not exactly bright is he? so he will reveal himself to yura because he believes she loves him. idiot! hahahaha....  --  @Lmangla   @zba72   @chubby^green^   @celebrianna @ktcjdrama

option 2: yura may have ignored rocky bear but because he followed her like a stalker in the old days, she will find him familiar and start to guess rocky bear used to be chubby bear.  -- @O  @stella77

option 3: sunny may be ditzy because of her fan girling but when she's not fan girling, she does have some brain cells. so she will find out the owner of the chain and locket is rocky bear and he used to be chubby bear...  --  @tianaa  @Carmarie  @guinearoyal @philosophie @sonequeen01 @booha   @zba72 , gm4queen, @alekaonu

option 4: grandmother and jedi master have some connection and so grandmother will find out about rocky bear... @triplem

option 5: emperor villian, shall we call him penguin, will find out rocky bear is still alive and start to suspect when he wonders why rocky bear has something against yellow pick up trucks...

option 6: rocky bear is like us and finds it hard to keep diet. poor fella. so yura recognizes him as he becomes chubby bear. so sad. -- @ChewyChocolate   @Matilda_Anne

option 7: moustache man sniffs around the palace and wonders why rocky bear is so fit. and then he finds out rocky bear climbed the mountain to become fit.... @celebrianna   @Lmangla

for some like myself who are torn between several choices, have put in for 2 choices. it is all for fun. kekkekek... so folks, if you do want to put in your suggestions, please do.

matilda_anne -- am curious to see what your mom would pick from this poll. hahahaha... but yea, i can understand you wanting a place where your mom is not there. :lol:

O -- for some reason, there are lots of Os with that name. hopefully picking you because your DP has a blue O. perhaps, you can change your DP so you stick out from other Os in soompi?

@philosophie  @booha

my mom cant really type on her phone lol..the screen is too small for her.. if she really has a soompi acc, she will make me type every single alphabet if she wants to post something on this thread haha..  but yeah she’ pretty cool lol  :sweatingbullets:

@Lmanglai’ll read the available options to her when i go home this weekend.. :D

@Lmangla if i have to really choose, i would rather that nws himself reveal who he is 

not because he is dim or just to rash

instead he will reveal himself to sunny on his own willingness

knowing that he and sunny are allies and fighting toward the same goal

and he finally realised that sunny is not one of the bad guy, and she can be trusted

i am not willing to let myr or lh have more upper hand in this battle

and having myr knowing first who is nws seems plausible and more make sense

but i just dont want it

same with letting the empress dowager finding out nws's real identity before anyone else

they both will surely use that information for their own advantages

so if that were to happen

i want nws to have an ally already with oh sunny

still in my holiday vacation now

only now i have some time to come to this thread

looking forward for tomorrow's ep

and hopefully i got to watch it as soon as i possibly can

happy watching peeps!

Watch: “The Last Empress” Cast Has Fun Hanging Out Between Takes

by R. Jun

e65fc743a6404c1fb28cc4d0cba05213.jpeg?s=

December 4, SBS’s “The Last Empress” released a new behind-the-scenes reel.

In the opening scenes, we see Choi Jin Hyuk preparing for an action scene. The actor goes over fight choreography with a stuntman and takes care of his partner, making sure to brush dirt off of him and periodically ask if he is okay.

The cast then celebrates Shin Sung Rok’s 36th birthday with a small party prepared by Jang Nara.

During the wedding scene between Jang Nara and Shin Sung Rok in the drama, Shin Sung Rok teases Jang Nara, saying that with her headdress, she’s now two meters and seven centimeters tall.

Jang Nara and Choi Jin Hyuk discuss how to prevent breath condensation in the cold weather, and in between takes, Jang Nara hangs out and snacks with the elder royalty in the drama.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1273521wpp/watch-last-empress-cast-fun-hanging-takes

On 12/3/2018 at 10:48 AM, nubianlegalmind said:

She shouldn't be with him because she works for him. When you accept a position like that, you are accepting responsibility and pledging loyalty to the royal that you assist. This is not an opportunity for you to get hitched. 

You forgot one more thing. Her and Wang Shik never officially broke up. So she's basically two timing as well.

16 hours ago, Matilda_Anne said:

@philosophie  @booha

my mom cant really type on her phone lol..the screen is too small for her.. if she really has a soompi acc, she will make me type every single alphabet if she wants to post something on this thread haha..  but yeah she’ pretty cool lol  :sweatingbullets:

@Lmanglai’ll read the available options to her when i go home this weekend.. :D

@Lmangla  said: matilda_anne -- am curious to see what your mom would pick from this poll. hahahaha... but yea, i can understand you wanting a place where your mom is not there.

Huum  I’m beginning to be curious what your mom would think about it.  Maybe you could be her surrogate and answer on behalf of her haha  You might enjoy dual soompi activities of you and your mom.  haha  okay okay  I don’t recommend anyone for soompi as a place for joint family activity.  haha :mrgreen::naughty:

**CJH will be on vlive tonight(12/5, 9:30 pm KST)  before the show.

https://www.vlive.tv/video/102412

Spoiler

Archived