[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

sigh, guess that is the only silver lining... ugh, was mostly watching this drama for wang shik's journey and so feel a bit cheated. oh well, on to another drama. hope I can find something to catch my interest...

It ended alright I guess, but its like something was missing..

13 minutes ago, laivla said:

I realize about something

Chun Woo Bin (Na Wang Shik) ever said if he actually gives his body and soul to Lee Hyuk. In the end he save Lee Hyuk, just like what his word to Lee Hyuk in the past. 

:bawling:

Lee Hyuk must be shock find someone who's he tried to kill protect him, not only Na Wang Shik but also Sunny, maybe he'll never met or get somebody like both Sunny or Woo Bin in his side. So he secretly act like Na Wang Shik. 

Poorly, he act alone, no one can protect him with back up plan... And maybe he also know if he run for his end, to repay what his all wrong doing. 

Your attention to detail continue to amaze me.

Yes. The end was bittersweet. The bros died. One avenging the other. 

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

RIP LH and NWS..* sobs... im emotionally exhausted after watching this drama lol but it was fun while it lasted.. :glasses:

ps can someone tell me the name of the writernim~~ she’s gonna be in my ‘’Must Ban These Writers Coz They Gonna Make Handsome Guys Suffer In Drama And Kill Them In The End’’ list... 

thnks chingus for your posts and comments in this thread.. let’s meet in another drama thread soon :rolleyes:.. now i need to go and watch a happy drama with rainbow pooping unicorns and singing birds to get rid of my blues :sweatingbullets:

2 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

Your attention to detail continue to amaze me.

Yes. The end was bittersweet. The bros died. One avenging the other. 

Thank you :wub:

Because this K-drama give a lot of clue, I'm enjoy to guess what will happen next or something.. 

Actually, they using same word or some sign of something...

About the poppy for example

1) palace maid said if she smell so strong of flower 

2) Sunny and Woo Bin just find cookies

3) Kang Joo Soung painting in mental hospital that zoom in is a picture of Papaver somniferum I recognize it was poppyseed. 

So I courios about the poppy and find if

1) it can be extracted to make cookies

2) the smell like nuts (maybe ARi allergic to this drug not because of nuts)

3) in the past it also using for beauty

When talk about beauty.. It remind me to ED that wish to be young forever... 

So in the end we know it for sure is poppy.

:tears::tears::tears: Pyeha! :tears::tears::tears:

My heart is heavy with grief. Although we expected it, it still doesn't make the pain any less.

Hyuk, you will always be remembered as the most dynamic character in TLE. Everyone did a great job, but you outshone everyone and worm your way into the hearts of the audience. We could hate you or love you, but no one could ignore you.

I started watching the show because I was hoping for a HEA which we were deprived of in Fated to Love You and also because I am a big Jang Na-ra fan. In fact, I hardly took a notice of SSR in Thank You. No, that would be wrong. I did notice him as a weak , indecisive character who made it easy for us to root for Jang Hyuk. But after watching SSR's stellar performance in TLE, I have become his big big biggggg fan!

Hoping to see him on television again, not as a weak indecisive character or as a villain please! If any writer/ PD is lurking here, please take note. We would love to see SSR as a 'good' guy but then SSR as Hyuk had proven that evil guys are more enigmatic than the good ones, more entertaining certainly!  

Thank you @ktcjdrama and @katakwasabi for the live recaps.

2 minutes ago, confusedheart7997 said:

My heart is heavy with grief. Although we expected it, it still doesn't make the pain any less. Hyuk, you will always be remembered as the most dynamic character in TLE. Everyone did a great job, but you outshone everyone and worm your way into the hearts of the audience. We could hate you or love you, but no one could ignore you.

I started watching the show because I was hoping for a HEA which we were deprived of in Fated to Love You and also because I am a big Jang Na-ra fan. In fact, I hardly took a notice of SSR in Thank You. No, that would be wrong. I did notice him as a weak , indecisive character who made it easy for us to root for Jang Hyuk. But after watching SSR's stellar performance in TLE, I have become his big big biggggg fan!

Hoping to see him on television again, not as a weak indecisive character or as a villain please! If any writer/ PD is lurking here, please take note. We would love to see SSR as a 'good' guy but then SSR as Hyuk had proven that evil guys are more enigmatic than the good ones, more entertaining certainly!  

We could hate you or love you, but no one could ignore you.

So true. Regardless of opinion, Hyuk is a character that could not be ignored. 

Thank you writernim for writing him. Thank you SSR for acting him. This show made me an instant SSR fan, to the point I requested his soompi page to be reactivated so I can spazz all I want there. Hahaha

And this: We would love to see SSR as a 'good' guy but then SSR as Hyuk had proven that evil guys are more enigmatic than the good ones, more entertaining certainly!  

I would want him to be in a romcom for some extra fluff that I was deprived from in TLE. Haha. But good written villains are just more exciting, more engaging and more enticing to watch. I also assume acting out villainous acts is absolutely more fun than acting noble acts.

His next drama will be aired mid 2019. Vagabond was never on my radar, and i feel that its too hyped up esp with LSG and Suzy as the leads. But knowing SSR is in it too, I'll give it a try.

So can we talk about how WS never got real closure or anything in his storyline? That character to me was wronged the most but nope nothing.I have no idea why they chose to have him so  undeveloped like that.All his interactions with Sunny was wasted and went no where.

The synopsis was wrong as well  ,she did not find true love or anything  

Hi. A question - I guess KJS prob doesnt know/ will never know that DS is his son?Since NWS is dead and MYR is now mad, and presumably no one else knows apart from those two?  Wondering if the dialogue said anything. 

Princess SJ’s fate was also left hanging? I always felt like her character was such a joke and it seems like the writer didnt even bother to end her story properly... sad

20 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

So can we talk about how WS never got real closure or anything in his storyline? That character to me was wronged the most but nope nothing.I have no idea why they chose to have him so  undeveloped like that.All his interactions with Sunny was wasted and went no where.

@dramaninja, totally agree with you. There is no proper closure for him :wacko:

LH is very well written .. a pitiful character with sad traumatic childhood, psychotic mom, and he himself becoming unstable and unpredictable. His ending is sad but it is a well written character from beginning to end. SSR portrayed LH perfectly.

but NWS ...  this character has been sidelined by LH's popularity... SN had promised NWS that she will protect him no matter what... The ending felt empty & weird without showing SN thinking back about her interactions with NWS in the palace or missing him. 

while BTS shows CJH on good terms with the fellow actors & actresses, i really wonder about how things are between him and the production team/pd/scriptwriter. I felt that he is not being respected as an actor and (supposedly) one of the leads in TLE.

if the synopsis  had been about SN, i would have no problem with it. But NWS is central part of the synopsis. The scriptwriter and pd had obviously steered off the original intended story.

38 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Right, I don't mind there was not any romance but it was like NWS was an afterthought, there is only so much they can do without CJH around but you would forget his involvement in the story. Considering everything he went through his ending felt incomplete. Also barely any reactions with finding out what actually happened to NWS...? At the end they should have at least had a small scene with DS, Byun visiting NWS and his mother grave, would have been moving.

2 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Yep. I suppose so. Its kinda understandable given that its about the imperial family. Its like a twisted version of Goong.

The context of the storyline reminded me of that cheesy Goong drama. That was the main reason I didn't start watching until the GED died.

1 hour ago, Matilda_Anne said:

ps can someone tell me the name of the writernim~~ she’s gonna be in my ‘’Must Ban These Writers Coz They Gonna Make Handsome Guys Suffer In Drama And Kill Them In The End’’ list... 

The writer: Kim Sun-Ok  ...well the handsome guard who was Yu Ra's no.X lover didn't die.

The drama's ending with a visit to the palace museum reminded me of Bertolucci's The Last Emperor. Lee Hyuk is probably the best written and most complex character. In the beginning he was a villain.Someone in the thread lamented his character goes crazy on wednesdays, act cute on thursdays. So was Yu Ra's character.

Thank you all for the instantaneous recaps. I just couldn't wait for the last ep. to be uploaded. OMG, Jang Nara looks even younger with a short crop.

I might have missed the discussion somewhere in these 180pages. Why was the character of Na Wang Shik switched from Rocky Bear to CJH? When I returned to watch Ep1 to 7, i realised i am biased towards NWS when CJH took over the role. Suddenly the dumb, clumsy and naive Rocky Bear became an ace.sigh! And the ace suddenly turned into ash this week.Grrrrghhhh!

5 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

A few more hours to the final ep. A personal reminder to myself and you all nice soompians in TLE land~ 

Good luck for the final ep. Hopefully it meets our expectations or whatever is left of it. and if it doesnt, hopefully it meets half way. If all expectations are not met..just forget this drama and move on to the next. Hahahaha. 

Glad to say the ending went well for me. What I speculated earlier were not really correct some even so off tangent. I expected a draggy finale after last weeks action packed eps, and I am happy that I was wrong. Despite a few (maybe a lot) shortcomings, i really enjoyed the 4 final eps.

5 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

And i'm even more curious about who is the actor that replaced CJH. I have a feeling we might see a famous cameo. Who knows right? Anything can happen in TLE land. Hahaha

Lol! Boy...was i wrong. Cameo indeed :sweatingbullets:. SSR became NWS. I didn't expect that at all. Thank you for the surprise show. Thank you.

i don't quite understand why some are upset that WS "didn't get a closure". HE ACTUALLY GOT HIS, but a tragic one just like LH. and besides, his character was bound to die anyway as per doctor's assessment.

as for SN/WS loveline, i think it was really blurry and one sided. SN did not show much affection like WS does to her. i like the ending scene when SN fades and shifts to their portrait. and that flickering light as the camera zooms out

35 minutes ago, hahanzyy said:

@dramaninja, totally agree with you. There is no proper closure for him :wacko:

LH is very well written .. a pitiful character with sad traumatic childhood, psychotic mom, and he himself becoming unstable and unpredictable. His ending is sad but it is a well written character from beginning to end. SSR portrayed LH perfectly.

Yeahh.. maybe because SSR also ever role in a romcom drama, and also ever play villain character, even he playing musical in theater, he is perfect for this role. 

39 minutes ago, hahanzyy said:

but NWS ...  this character has been sidelined by LH's popularity... SN had promised NWS that she will protect him no matter what... The ending felt empty & weird without showing SN thinking back about her interactions with NWS in the palace or missing him. 

Sometimes I'm also feel upset of Oh Ssu Ni act... she's the one can't keep her promise to protect Wang Shik 

Na Wang Shik and Lee Hyuk keep their word and promise. 

Sunny also make several death to protect her

1) GED (what she done firstly is wanna protect Sunny, then she realize she can't do anything and then commit suicide) 

2) Ms. Hong (she want to protect Sunny from wrong doing of imperial family, and also commit suicide) 

3) Na Wang Shik (he let himself cover the bomb to protect Sunny and Lee Hyuk) 

4) Lee Hyuk (he left all authority for Sunny and became hero under NWS name, he wanna reveal the truth of his mom for help Sunny maybe, so Sunny can be clear from ED's point to hurt her)  

Sunny actually can said to ED if that's Lee Hyuk, but she's quite and see.

Sunny is alive in the end, take down imperial family, and also make a lot of people die for her.

Still courious about something,

Who that put GED letter to the black box?

She left the letter in the table before drink poison and stab herself, but the letter hide in thr black box. 

I am in the meh crowd as it relates to the finally and really did not see the purpose for the extension even more so now. I guess only one of my predictions came true by 

Spoiler

Hyuk dying. I do not believe that they (Sunni and the auditors) should have ended the monarchy; instead, they should have restored the monarchy by keeping them accountable. Corruption does not end because the monarchy ends. Prime ministers pay people off and are for sale too. Anyway, making Yura with a brain injury as a way of showing contrition was lazy writing. They should have either let her die, or justly continue to show contrition like she had been doing to firmly receive forgiveness out of her true repentance. Wang Shik barely received a mention...smh

The only way that I will only watch anything from this writer and director again on purpose is if they hid their identity! This drama lost its bearings with all of its twists and turns which they could not carry out given the original theme of this show.

Archived