Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

All actors in this drama are doing great job including Princess Ari. She'll be great actress in the future.

I really hope next episodes we'll see more clue about the mysteries around palace. 

For loveline, well now I'm guessing Sunny-Woobin will end up together. Just like most dramas, no matter how many obstacles and person involved, the lovers will be stayed together. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, xprosperity said:

I personally love Princess Ari and her development too; ever since she got proper knowledge and discipline from Sunny, she's becoming a different person. However, I'm unsure if her change is REAL or due to the fact that she knows that Sunny is the true heir to all of the inheritance left behind... Either or, I'm still warm inside from all of the lovely moments they share. I love how the nanny just switches side and just decides to tell the Emperor everything: from the peanut allergy to SH Empress's death... 

It may have initially been motivated by the fact that AR thinks SN has power and money, but also because of the royal family, SN was the only one who really wanted to spend time with AR. AR has been taught in that household that there are people who matter (the royals) and people who don't (everyone else), and of the people who matter, SN was the only one who paid her sincere attention rather than pushing her away or finding her a nuisance. As a child, that kind of attention and approval from SN was probably rain to a parched plant. So, AR finds herself more and more drawn to her. And, even though after her recognition as a royal princess, AR starts receiving more attention from her father and grandmother, AR recognizes that SN is the only one who still gives her unstinting attention and care. I think AR's development under SN is sincere because AR continues to want SN's love and approval.

In a way, I do feel bad for the nanny, though she's pretty much an evil character who betrayed her friend and allowed the Emperor into her bed for the potential benefit that she might gain. It was also hinted at one point that she planned to get pregnant to have LH's baby, and given that she conceived after only 1 night, I find some credibility to that. But, anyway, she is a true mother after all, fighting for what she thinks is best for her daughter. Unfortunately, that included raising AR to be an insufferable snob "aware" of her position and with very little joy in her life. In her nanny's position, probably in order to cultivate what she sees as the proper royal attitude, it doesn't seem that she cultivated much love into AR, nor showed her much, if any, actual affection. Thus, AR's rejection of her nanny as her mother, despite knowing that the nanny was the one who actually gave birth to her.

Anyway, the nanny has redeemed herself a bit to me in the latest episodes because she realized how much harm the DE might do to AR as a pawn in one of her schemes. Despite being AR's grandmother, it's clear the DE doesn't care at all if AR lives or dies, and the nanny has finally fully realized it, versus SN who has always protected and cared for AR. Despite her jealousy of the relationship between SN and AR, I think the nanny has cast her lot with the one who will protect her daughter, and thus, she's quick to switch sides. The switch was quick and it wasn't the most deftly handled, but I'm willing to give it a stretch since I do think that AR is the only person the nanny truly loves, and that characteristic has been consistent through the drama.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Lmangla said:

feel like I keep repeating myself :sweatingbullets:....

so I get there are some who see more chemistry between sunny and lee hyuk and find him very charming,  but please see the genre of this drama. this is not a rom-com. this is not one of those school series where folks are going to debate who the lead ends up with and there are wars over which ship will sail.

this is glorious makjang with revenge theme. lee hyuk committed serious crimes. not one but SEVERAL. he is the villain and not the male lead. and this writer is brilliant old-fashioned makjang style -- this means those who commit a wrong will pay and there will be serious consequences. he, the empress mother, yura, nanny and the entire villain gang are going to get punished. it won't be a slap on the wrist where lee hyuk gets redeemed by a love story. sorry that isn't going to happen because this isn't a rom-com. he will face serious consequences because his actions harmed/killed several people.

this genre is all about showing viewers that there is justice in this world and everyone reaps what they sow regardless of power, status or money. a sob story doesn't excuse your actions. you hurt someone -- the heavens will punish you. the key message of such dramas is how the good get their due. who are the good in this drama? sunny and wang shik. 

the interactions with sunny, lee hyuk getting besotted with her, acting like a buffoon -- all of these are typical of this writer's style and occurs in all her dramas. but this is the starting of the downfall of our main villains. her dramas are all  light hearted revenge/justice feel.

sunny is not going to end up with lee hyuk. it doesn't matter if she even ends up wang shik because ultimately, these dramas are about justice. not about finding love. justice is the goal. so justice for 8-9 people who got killed and 17 fake/close/attempted deaths. that's our kill count! this drama is about sunny and her gang cleaning up the imperial family system.

don't treat this drama as a typical rom-com because it isn't. so let's move beyond who sunny is going to end up with and who she does or does not have chemistry with or whether the love story is moving or not.... let's talk about the main themes of this drama -- revenge, justice, social responsibility... as well as the crazy laughs and twists... let's have fun chingus!

thank you and AMEN to this! :sweatingbullets: I am really looking forward to the last leg of this drama. let the battle begin starting from this

https://twitter.com/soompi/status/1086895351720603649?s=21

Are the stars display from WB?.. I hope it is but each time I think about it the image of the pleasantly plump WS comes in and then I laughed.. can he do this?..  I am not sure if anyone notices this but recently the writer always sends a reminder that although there are 2 actors portraying WS  and WB, their characters are the same.. “ if I eat more, I will get fat”.. :lol:.. “ I am really not used to dressing this way”  I would love to see a new side of WB.. the romantic side.. hahahaha

Anyways.. I just love reading the insights from everyone here. It’s a fun way to discuss a drama.!

• Like 10

The nanny is still a danger for Sunny-Woobin though she doesn't like ED. When WB asked Ari about the cookies, she suspicious whether WB really wanna open up who made those cookies or WB just want to help Sunny coz he really likes her. I think we can clearly see ED and YR are in bad side but the nanny, she can be in both ( bad or helping) but for sure because she wanna make sure she and Ari's position are safe in the palace. What if Ari isn't LH's daughter. Maybe Ari is the daughter of someone else. Prime minister perhaps? ED should do DNA test before accepting someone else into her fam....haha...

• Like 4

Go Papa Sohyun! Force some answers from Evil Mum!

the-last-empress-2.jpg

@PutriSalju lol. I did thought Ari might be the prime minister daughter. Nanny and prime minister were the ones who fought to pass a new law so princesses can ascend the throne. It is possible that once again hyuk was manipulated. Ahhh. Hyuk what am i to do if you were manipulated again. You really need to get your mind on the right track and start thinking carefully. But i hope they don't twist this around. Maintain as is, please. Show says Ari is Hyuk's daughter so be it. It would be too complicated if she isn't. Hahahaha

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so I get there are some who see more chemistry between sunny and lee hyuk and find him very charming,  but please see the genre of this drama. this is not a rom-com. this is not one of those school series where folks are going to debate who the lead ends up with and there are wars over which ship will sail.

this is glorious makjang with revenge theme. lee hyuk committed serious crimes. not one but SEVERAL. he is the villain and not the male lead. and this writer is brilliant old-fashioned makjang style -- this means those who commit a wrong will pay and there will be serious consequences. he, the empress mother, yura, nanny and the entire villain gang are going to get punished. it won't be a slap on the wrist where lee hyuk gets redeemed by a love story. sorry that isn't going to happen because this isn't a rom-com. he will face serious consequences because his actions harmed/killed several people.

@Lmangla, to be honest, I think the writer may have forgotten this is supposed to be a Fantasy, Suspense, Romance drama. In the beginning it felt all suspense and melodrama. Now it feels almost romantic comedy--but only from the angle of Lee Hyuk and his sister (Shin Sung Rok needs to consider doing more rom-coms instead 'villain', he's hilarious). The comic portion is also coming from Ari...I don't know what to think of the too grown little princess. She went from someone needs to discipline this child to my favorite little character. She just needed someone to show her they cared.

To be honest, I'm still not sure where the "fantasy" comes into this drama unless it has to do with the fact we have a dysfunctional royal family in the 21st century when they no longer exist in Korea. However, other modern day royal dramas weren't classified as fantasy, so I'm not sure. I don't see Lee Hyuk and Sunny being a couple, but I do see the possibility of Sunny and NWS coming out as a couple. 

I have to say that initially I couldn't get into this drama. I'm not really a fan of Jang Na Ra because it felt like she was the same character in every drama--didn't care for the acting style. However, I have to say that I'm really impressed with her acting as the character Sunny. She's had to present a range of emotions and character growth, that made me feel what the character Sunny must have been experiencing. All the actors have done a great job, including the youngest character of all...she owns the scenes she's in.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

To be honest, I'm still not sure where the "fantasy" comes into this drama unless it has to do with the fact we have a dysfunctional royal family in the 21st century when they no longer exist in Korea. 

The fantasy is everyone killed actually doesnt die hahaha. They all magically survive except a select few.

• LOL 6

20 hours ago, confusedheart7997 said:

Of course LH had committed wrongs and he must be held accountable. But LH's character reminds me of Ji Sung's character in Secret. There is a very thin line between black and white and most of us are in gray because  one can't be overtly good or bad.

LH is hilarious with his comedic side in full bloom now; however, I can't make the stretch of him being like JS' character in Secret. JS character, if I had to choose one in this drama, would be more like NWS. LH is just too darn evil, psychopathic, and childishly selfish. Yes he's falling in love with Sunny for now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to kill her in the next episode if he felt like she's betrayed him...  he's done too many evil things.  If he hadn't been so bad, I could find myself rooting for the new LH, but that ship has sailed.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

The fantasy is everyone killed actually doesnt die hahaha. They all magically survive except a select few.

Yep!..Even the ex chief guard can resurrect! :blink:.. thought he was gone for good..  why on earth would Min YR save him?. looks like they are all out to go after WS.. poor guy! He is like the punching bag for everyone.. I lost count how many times he was hit in the head, slapped by various people and sustain injuries

Hmm.. wonder who will suddenly miraculously appear and who is next on the list to disappear!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

On a lighter note, as I was re-watching  Thank You, I realized that SSR's characters in both the shows seem to be under the thumb of their mother's. Quite a mama's boy he is! 

54 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

LH is hilarious with his comedic side in full bloom now; however, I can't make the stretch of him being like JS' character in Secret. JS character, if I had to choose one in this drama, would be more like NWS. LH is just too darn evil, psychopathic, and childishly selfish. Yes he's falling in love with Sunny for now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to kill her in the next episode if he felt like she's betrayed him...  he's done too many evil things.  If he hadn't been so bad, I could find myself rooting for the new LH, but that ship has sailed.

What is NWS? I'm sorry. I am new to K-dramas so I am quite well versed in the titles. LH has burnt his bridges and sadly he's gone too far, whether of his own volition or as a result of his evil mom's manipulations. His is what we call 'toxic love'. The way he coldly left Min Yu-Ra to die and later on how he tortured her gave me chills.

As I think of LH and Sunny, I can't help but feel 'Then' a song by Anne Marie is just what was tailor made for this dysfunctional couple.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, confusedheart7997 said:

I meant that they are both gray characters. Stalking the heroine wasn't very endearing and his obsession over revenge wasn't very health either. But I enjoyed the angst fest. Secret was my first Kdrama and Ji Sung's fantastic portrayal of the character made me fall in love with kdramas. 

I request everyone to please suggest me some angsty dramas as I am new to kdramas. Thank you. 

@confusedheart7997, be careful what you ask for when it comes to angsty dramas...some dramas have so much angst that it makes you want to stop watching the drama altogether.  I have to say, for me, this one isn't bad in the angst department.....more suspenseful than anything. However, I watch long daily dramas too and those are angst overload to the point of being ridiculous at times.

I'll PM you with some of my favorite dramas...ones that I have watched over and over again over the years. 

I will say TLE to me has gotten better as the drama has gone on, which is also reflected in the ratings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, confusedheart7997 said:

On a lighter note, as I was re-watching  Thank You, I realized that SSR's characters in both the shows seem to be under the thumb of their mother's. Quite a mama's boy he is! 

What is NWS? I'm sorry. I am new to K-dramas so I am quite well versed in the titles. LH has burnt his bridges and sadly he's gone too far, whether of his own volition or as a result of his evil mom's manipulations. His is what we call 'toxic love'. The way he coldly left Min Yu-Ra to die and later on how he tortured her gave me chills.

As I think of LH and Sunny, I can't help but feel 'Then' a song by Anne Marie is just what was tailor made for this dysfunctional couple.

No problem. NWS is the initials for Na Wang Shik, the family's bodyguard, that is falling in love with Sunny.  Yes, I agree with you about the song "Then".... it's a good fit for LH and Sunny.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jbeanie1709 said:

Yep!..Even the ex chief guard can resurrect! :blink:.. thought he was gone for good..  why on earth would Min YR save him?. looks like they are all out to go after WS.. poor guy! He is like the punching bag for everyone.. I lost count how many times he was hit in the head, slapped by various people and sustain injuries

Hmm.. wonder who will suddenly miraculously appear and who is next on the list to disappear!

And why keep YR alive!  But at least she is no longer the burnt victim.  She was terrible at the hospital scenes.  Now she is a villain again, her acting is up again :)  Seems she can only do slutty, mean roles!  hahaha. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waffles09 said:

New preview

Yeyyy .. 

The servant really Min Yu Ra...  But, Min Yu Ra, how she find Dong Shik? Dong Shik under Byun and Yoon protection,

What will he do after meet Woo Bin aka NWS?

What Sunny will do that make ED angry?

Lee Yoon... is he come back to the palace?

What Lee Hyuk do in the Garden?

• Like 7

Wow!.. new preview looks intense. Gosh.. how to wait till Wednesday!:wacko:

this is really the beginning of the downfall of the imperial empire. Teacher Byun’s “army”/alliance coming strong in full force and Sunny is playing her cards right!

I fear for Dong Shik. Please keep this poor boy safe. 

Found this Translation of preview

https://www.instagram.com/kdrama.scene1/p/Bs5vuMuhE4q/

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

Yes, Lee Hyuk's recent acts are cute, funny and amusing. 

But it still doesn't seem like a redemption arc to me. He is not sorry for the other things he had done, simply apologizing to Sunny because he wants to earn her forgiveness and love back. For the sorry he uttered, it was not out of regret but more of the fact that he realized Sunny was angry with him for robbing her mother's chance to be alive. But he did not regret that he lives while her mother died because of him. He felt rightful so because he is the emperor. If it was another person's death, he would never have apologized. Only because the death was related to Sunny, hence he apologized to regain her trust, 

It does show that he is starting to love Sunny but is it the beginning of redemption for him? I am not sure. He still has his mean side out to play at times, only showing his kind side to Sunny. So I am still not buying that redemption arc for Lee Hyuk even though I do feel that he is getting to be more sincere towards Sunny. Being care and loving to one person, don't make a bad person turn good overnight. For all the darkness in a person, there is always a spot of light, and for Lee Hyuk, his current spot of light happened to be Sunny. But whether the light will cause him to change for better is still yet to be seen. We can hope but it would be too soon to cast him in a positive light now.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4