[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

Whaha whenever I see the photos of Sunny and LH together, they reminded me about their relationship which is based on such a level of deception. :unsure:    Like their grand royal wedding photo, we know LH acted with a double face to hide his disgust for Sunny. He even tried to kill her during the wedding. haha    And then the recent adoring family photo of Sunny and Ari and LH,  this time it’s Sunny who turned to act with a double face while hiding a dagger in her heart. haha   
If there is Sunny-LH chemistry, maybe it is about JNR-SSR’s??   Besides nobody talked about their chemistry when LH was cruel to her.    It was so painful to watch how LH treated Sunny with deception and cruelty.  Now it was equally painful to watch how Sunny had to endure LH because she wants revenge.    Anytime LH was near Sunny, her whole body quivered.   lol  But then who knows some like a makjang chemistry!! hahaha

6tZPjWP.jpg

3gxER99.jpg?1

http://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no

18 hours ago, O said:

@booha It does seem like the writer is glossing over LH's crimes.  It's not just misdeeds but criminal actions.  

Yes I feel too very uneasy about what the writer will do with LH.:sweatingbullets:     But @Lmangla (thank you)  gave a wonderful explanation about who the writer is: The writer has a firm line about what is good and bad, and the bad ones will get punished according to their crimes.  
This drama is about little people fighting against a rich and powerful but corrupt monarch.  Since it’s a kdrama, the writer will make sure that justice will prevail and the good ones will defeat the bad ones.  
We know LH already crossed over to the dark side,  so, even if the writer tries to redeem LH, she will still lay out a proper punishment for LH.  I am okay with the piggyback of redemption on any punishment.
Still I’m curious how the writer will go about LH’s redemption if that’s what the writer is trying to do.  

I’m quoting @Lmangla’s comment (actually two, as they can be a great comfort when these kdrama villains get under my skin so I can remember about their ultimate punishment. haha   :lol:

Spoiler
On 1/19/2019 at 10:21 AM, Lmangla said:

feel like I keep repeating myself :sweatingbullets:....

so I get there are some who see more chemistry between sunny and lee hyuk and find him very charming,  but please see the genre of this drama. this is not a rom-com. this is not one of those school series where folks are going to debate who the lead ends up with and there are wars over which ship will sail.

this is glorious makjang with revenge theme. lee hyuk committed serious crimes. not one but SEVERAL. he is the villain and not the male lead. and this writer is brilliant old-fashioned makjang style -- this means those who commit a wrong will pay and there will be serious consequences. he, the empress mother, yura, nanny and the entire villain gang are going to get punished. it won't be a slap on the wrist where lee hyuk gets redeemed by a love story. sorry that isn't going to happen because this isn't a rom-com. he will face serious consequences because his actions harmed/killed several people.

this genre is all about showing viewers that there is justice in this world and everyone reaps what they sow regardless of power, status or money. a sob story doesn't excuse your actions. you hurt someone -- the heavens will punish you. the key message of such dramas is how the good get their due. who are the good in this drama? sunny and wang shik. 

the interactions with sunny, lee hyuk getting besotted with her, acting like a buffoon -- all of these are typical of this writer's style and occurs in all her dramas. but this is the starting of the downfall of our main villains. her dramas are all  light hearted revenge/justice feel.

sunny is not going to end up with lee hyuk. it doesn't matter if she even ends up wang shik because ultimately, these dramas are about justice. not about finding love. justice is the goal. so justice for 8-9 people who got killed and 17 fake/close/attempted deaths. that's our kill count! this drama is about sunny and her gang cleaning up the imperial family system.

don't treat this drama as a typical rom-com because it isn't. so let's move beyond who sunny is going to end up with and who she does or does not have chemistry with or whether the love story is moving or not.... let's talk about the main themes of this drama -- revenge, justice, social responsibility... as well as the crazy laughs and twists... let's have fun chingus!

Spoiler
On 1/19/2019 at 11:28 AM, Lmangla said:

yea the focus on the love lines is frustrating and takes the fun out of the discussions. you and I have seen pretty much all of the writer's previous works and we know how she writes. there is no question about who the leads are and who are the villains. lee hyuk is the villain. and the OTP is wang shik and sunny. whether or not, it is temporary or permanent does not matter as the focus is really on justice. so I get if folks don't feel wang shik-sunny pairing but the point of this drama is not a love story. and in pretty much all her dramas, there is no grand romance between OTP. the revenge arc is the main journey.

have also seen tons of daily and weekend kdramas over the years and so the strong focus on the villain or him having so much layers is not surprising or confusing to me. this writer generally writes long dramas (daily/weekend) where folks are used to seeing such villains. this isn't a rom-com where a stone hearted man with some sob story is healed by the love of a naive woman. so no matter how much folks may enjoy SSR as lee hyuk, he is still the villain. and villains have to break in spirit and truly feel the weight of their actions before any redemption arc takes place. lee hyuk is nowhere near rock bottom.. 

yea @autumna ~ as you said, the synopsis of the drama is all about the lies, secrets and bad deeds of the imperial empire. it is not a love triangle drama where we have to wonder which ship will sail...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2019 at 6:55 AM, supergal99 said:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1296081wpp/7-heart-melting-moments-last-empress-episodes-33-34

:wacko:omo... i have to disagree with this part of the article - err.... itz pretty obvious uri cute empress did not forgive him :

** Extract::blink:

"1. Hyuk’s apology

First up, Hyuk (Shin Sung Rok) finally swallows his pride and apologizes to Sunny (Jang Nara) for having received the blood transfusion that would have saved Sunny’s mother’s life years ago. As Hyuk almost never admits to being in the wrong, this is a huge step for the Emperor, and it’s nice to see that he’s trying to be a better person.

Equally touching is Sunny’s graciousness in conceding that it was not really Hyuk’s fault, which is incredibly generous considering the situation led to her mother’s death.

I think the writer of this article might've missed Sunny's troubled expression and inner thoughts.. She said -

"Yes, my mom brought me to this palace..Because she was so wronged that she couldn't make peace with it." 

And then Lee hyuk's said " I will repay for the life of your mother for the rest of my life." I don't think that's a line you should say aloud to the person who lost her mother because of you. 

Shin-Sung-Rok-93-e1548075995803.jpg

Yes..Lee Hyuk didn't know that someone lost his life when he was saved that night. But would it make a difference if he knew that? It most probably wouldn't because he didn't knew sunny back then. Even though he had a near death experience we saw how he was annoyed by the mourning of Oh family when he was passing by them. 

But let's for the sake of argument think that Lee Hyuk would've felt sorry if he knew that to save him, his mother robbed another's life. Do you think he's actually repenting killing So Hyun Hwangu. When he learned from Ari's mother that So Hyun never betrayed him he mourned with a big wail and probably blamed his mother who provoked him. And he now thinks that he couldn't protect So Hyun because of his mother, so now he'll protect Oh Sunny. But Do you see him mourning when he's trying to be all lovey dovey with Sunny. He should've been devastated that someone he loved and who loved him as well died because he choose not to believe her, he killed the one he loved along with his unborn baby with his own hand and he never looked back. he went to find Kang joon Sang in the mental hospital but he didn't feel sorry for him. He just selfishly asked if So Hyun was really innocent. He's still doubting as if that can save him from his guilt.

Now he's trying to keep Oh Sunny for himself. He's trying to force her to be with him. He's still not repenting killing Na Wang Shik's mother. He's still thinking that Na Wang Shik is the bad guy to come after him for revenge. He's only apologizing to Sunny because he now likes her. 

Remember, the Emperor once liked Min Yura. I think it's mostly because he could see that Min Yura can help him fighting with his mother because she's smart and cunning enough to find out how Empress Dowager keeping tabs on him.  He did everything in his power to keep Min Yura with him, he even cried in front of whole palace. I was like "WoW! he does like Min Yura." Then what do we see... when Chun Woo Bin, his trusted Guard showed him some proof of her association with Na Wang Shik, he discarded Min Yura just like that. He didn't even give any time to Min Yura to say her side of the story (Well I'm not saying Min Yura deserved better after she cruelly betrayed the people who was her family). His love seems to worth just that much. So his likeness(!) for Sunny is still questionable to me, so is his repentance. 

While I like seeing Shin Sung Rok's cute activities( He's without any doubt an good actor), when I see the character Lee Hyuk all I see is a bad guy who's justifying his crimes and living a peaceful life. This kind of people are not only crazy but also can do many horrible things because they don't think very deeply about this and justify their crimes by different excuses like how Lee Hyuk's excuse is his mother, Empress Dowager.

I'm not sure but I feel like the writer of this drama is trying to give us that message..if she's not..at this point of The Last Empress, I'm getting that message as a viewer.

11 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Arrggh..why can't SBS provide english sub for the behind the scene..why! 

:grimace:so far  i have only seen 2 clips with subs:

32 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

Will we have WB-SN dugun-dugun moments tonight or the royal sibling again will disturb them? Aigooo.... 

:wub: woaahh.. uri empress is learning self-defense - and i like her ponytail hairstyle.:P yap some heartbeat increasing moments tonight - "Backhug" and "rolling until sweaty" *cough~* according to google trans of this article:yum:

http://m.sportschosun.com/news.htm?id=201901240100172300013459&ServiceDate=20190123#_enliple

Spoiler

Choi Jin-hyeok create a moody atmosphere among the rugged and rugged 'self-defense classes', which heightens the heart rate of viewers. In the play, a scene where Cheonwoo Bin and Oh Sunny are taught various self-defense movements in the imperial guard practice room.If someone attack, simple action to avoid, from the wrist to the top of the harsh action, such as self-defense training continues. Moreover, as Tianwoo beats a back hug, she takes a posture of attacking Sunny from behind, and as a pose that Oh Sonny breaks down Tianwu is unfolded unexpectedly, the two people ' 

Jangnara and Choi Jin-hyuk's "subtle self-defense training" scene was shot in Ilsan, Gyeonggi-do. Jangna, who wore his black hair tied up in a black costume and watched his gaze, showed a slight tension ahead of his first attempt at self-defense.So, Choi Jin - hyeok encourages anxious Jang - ra and encourages her energy, but she has met with Jang - na since before shooting and meticulously practiced her exercises.

Especially, since they teach and learn various kinds of self-defense actions, the two of them exchanged opinions for a more natural scene during mid-intermediate standby time, while changing the action, while spreading hot rolling until they became sweaty. The staffs did not hesitate to praise the performers for their immersive performance, which caused not only the self-defense actions but also the detailed sentiments of Oh Sunny and Chun Woo-bing to breathe alive. 

The production team said, "It is a scene where the emotions of Oh Sunny and Chun Woo-bing, which can not express the subtle emotions about each other, can be expressed, and it is a scene that stirs up the smoothness." What is Chun Woo-bin's intention to intensify the hard- I need you to confirm it through the day (today) broadcast. " 

On the other hand, SBS 'Empress of the Empress' 35 and 36 times will be broadcast on the 23rd (today) at 10:00 pm. 

olzllovely@sportschosun.com

1 hour ago, sw33tm3lody said:

New Stills 

Reveal hidden contents

30000621862_700.jpg

http://sbsfune.sbs.co.kr/news/news_content.jsp?article_id=E10009366959&oaid=E10009366953&plink=CATEGORY&cooper=SBSENTERNEWS

I think it says that the physical contact between them will stir feelings, but I'm not sure. I love that he's teaching her self-defense. :wub:

my heart went dugun-dugun when i saw these new stills. i hope they give us longer such moments without them being interrupted by LH or SJ or anyone

Started re-watching episodes as I sabotaged myself and caught completely up so in light of that I'm remembering things and I'm starting to wonder. Am I the only one having doubts about whether or not the Emperor actually killed his previous wife? Like we know he didn't technically kill NWS/CWB's mom as she was still technically alive when they moved her to that back woods road (she moved and MYR covered her right back up). But the last we saw of the previous empress when he was there she was still floundering around in the pond when he left so..... not saying that the Emperor is not an evil bastard because well he is and SSR is soooo good at playing crazy evil characters. And I'm not gonna lie I went into this fully expecting to hate the Emperor because of how much I hated SSR when he was in "You Who Came from the Stars" but he's growing on me especially in these last few episodes with how cute he's acting towards Sunny now trying to win her back (and yeah I've jumped on the ship hoping they stay together LOL). So could he be innocent in the finality of her actual death? Or is this just the writer's way of wanting you to feel sorry for him and toying with us? There's something about her death for sure though......

27 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

I think SSR is doing a good job promoting his character and TLE overall on his IG.

His caption: I lie down too … Oh Sunny…it is narrow… :sweatingbullets:

Lol, is that SSR in character or just him being him :D

Those new stills though... Usually these kind of scene will be followed by some romantic skinship  :sweatingbullets:

WB-SN are actually having a sad romance. WB needs to deal with the fact that he falls for a lady that married with a man who previously cheated with his ex-lover and killed his mom. And more sad, he even take care a son of his ex lover. On the otjer hand, Sunny is married with a man that indirectly caused her mom's death. Though they have eyes on each other, they can't express it. I just hope this two have a happy ending whether they'll be together at the end or not.

BUT I wanna see that self defense lesson BTS. Always enjoy JNR and CJH off screen chemistry because they're too sweet for each other. Awwww....

56 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

is this the evil assistant of the empress dowager?

I think so

7 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

WB-SN are actually having a sad romance. WB needs to deal with the fact that he falls for a lady that married with a man who previously cheated with his ex-lover and killed his mom. And more sad, he even take care a son of his ex lover. On the otjer hand, Sunny is married with a man that indirectly caused her mom's death. Though they have eyes on each other, they can't express it. I just hope this two have a happy ending whether they'll be together at the end or not.

BUT I wanna see that self defense lesson BTS. Always enjoy JNR and CJH off screen chemistry because they're too sweet for each other. Awwww....

I think so

agree with you ... i wish the drama ends with their revenge completed and their characters being able to fall in love like ordinary people living ordinary lives

Sorry guys, been busy that I can't visit the thread.

Bit late, but here's the live recap

Spoiler

Continue from last scene.

As Byun asked about the truth in death of SH, Yoon came to vouch for him that he saw what happened 7 years ago. And revealed that he is the true Vincent Lee. ED shouted to him and called him the Crown Prince. Hello shocked.

Byun demanded the culprit. LH shaking and left the room. Reporters asking more questions. Hello angry with Yoon and left the room. Yoon went after her.

LH with CWB. He's shaking. CWB trying to ask him to calm down and assured him that he's with him.

ED and Byun in private room away from reporters, arguing about what actually happened 7 years ago. Byun even pulled on her collar. He left in anger. ED muttered that you don't even have a single evidence.

Spoiler

LH and Sunny in his office. Sunny is pretending she didn't know anything and trying to fish for information/confession from LH while recording him. But he didn't actually say it out loud. Almost... CWB listening to the conversation. Because it's not going anywhere, CWB went to ED and kinda provoked her by saying LH is with Sunny now, that she angrily went to LH.

ED entered and angry that LH is confiding in Sunny. Sunny stood up to her, and got a slap. LH and CWB shocked. LH ordered CWB to get ED out. So CWB took her out. ED gave him some orders. When she left, CWB was so furious!

CWB went to Sunny's room and gave her ice pack. He openly said he isn't happy that Sunny is in the palace and close to LH and getting hit. He prefer for her to be out of the palace to be safe. Because Sunny is determined she is okay, CWB decided to give her a self-defense lesson. OTP bonding time...

Sunny in her room and she looked at her face, then she opened the window to see the stars prepared by CWB, along with a note from him. She is happy and drew a happy face on the window.

Archived