[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

31 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

I'm going on vacation. So i wont be checking my inbox that often ehehe. But i will pop in to see spoilers. I am thay hooked.

:blush: oh...o..kay... enjoy your vacation QjrUV7L.gif:

Spoiler

Fly off with your bias ok? Ok...heeee....:PI9zsyCG.jpg

37 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

(Nice gif by the way!)

:blink:tks (tks to my xray eyes ops!)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to also jump on this and just ask: what happened to the newest episode that was supposed to come out Thursday? (Did I miss it...?)

I'm not even looking at too much of the love lines anymore, but I definitely don't feel like shipping any of the pairs AT ALL. I've come to recognize and realize that it's more a thriller/avenge type of drama, so let me accept that truth willfully. However, as I've mentioned, I would still love to see a drama with JNR and SSR as real main leads (not complaining about CJH but I just watched Devilish Joy and his character is a whole 360 degree turn so I'm not used to it yet...).

I personally love Princess Ari and her development too; ever since she got proper knowledge and discipline from Sunny, she's becoming a different person. However, I'm unsure if her change is REAL or due to the fact that she knows that Sunny is the true heir to all of the inheritance left behind... Either or, I'm still warm inside from all of the lovely moments they share. I love how the nanny just switches side and just decides to tell the Emperor everything: from the peanut allergy to SH Empress's death... 

When SSR cried holding the ex-Empress's ashes (well, since she's buried deep underground, I think it ought to be fake ashes...), I broke into little pieces. As someone who was manipulated by his mother, I half heartedly thought that he really didn't deserve that (he kinda did....) Every death in some way was because of his evil mother, and protecting Sunny as his mission is one of the ways he's trying to repent, I think.

I really can't tell what the Emperor is going to do next, I mean- someone mentioned above that if you step on his tail, he'll literally turn around and bite you right back so he's totally unpredictable. Sunny staying around him is half safe and half dangerous. He says he'll protect her, but to what means? Eh...

3 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I cant visit here as often since i will busy starting tomorrow.

Just leaving a Hyuk pic here..cause why not? Lol. That stiff grin. That turtle neck. Most importantly that coat! I love long coats~ 

I do wonder is it Hyuk i like or actually SSR plays a bigger factor. Hahaha

Thank you. You just made my day. He is my latest crush. I seem to have a fickle heart because it changes after every K-drama I watch. 

Also, since everyone's speculating, given this a revenge drama, I can't help but think that the show might conclude like the movie, 'Bodyguard' starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston. Everyone just moves on with their respective lives doing what they had been doing. 

The actor playing LH's mother is doing such a commendable job. She has succeeded in making the  viewers hate her.

All actors in this drama are doing great job including Princess Ari. She'll be great actress in the future.

I really hope next episodes we'll see more clue about the mysteries around palace. 

For loveline, well now I'm guessing Sunny-Woobin will end up together. Just like most dramas, no matter how many obstacles and person involved, the lovers will be stayed together. 

16 hours ago, Lmangla said:

feel like I keep repeating myself :sweatingbullets:....

so I get there are some who see more chemistry between sunny and lee hyuk and find him very charming,  but please see the genre of this drama. this is not a rom-com. this is not one of those school series where folks are going to debate who the lead ends up with and there are wars over which ship will sail.

this is glorious makjang with revenge theme. lee hyuk committed serious crimes. not one but SEVERAL. he is the villain and not the male lead. and this writer is brilliant old-fashioned makjang style -- this means those who commit a wrong will pay and there will be serious consequences. he, the empress mother, yura, nanny and the entire villain gang are going to get punished. it won't be a slap on the wrist where lee hyuk gets redeemed by a love story. sorry that isn't going to happen because this isn't a rom-com. he will face serious consequences because his actions harmed/killed several people.

this genre is all about showing viewers that there is justice in this world and everyone reaps what they sow regardless of power, status or money. a sob story doesn't excuse your actions. you hurt someone -- the heavens will punish you. the key message of such dramas is how the good get their due. who are the good in this drama? sunny and wang shik. 

the interactions with sunny, lee hyuk getting besotted with her, acting like a buffoon -- all of these are typical of this writer's style and occurs in all her dramas. but this is the starting of the downfall of our main villains. her dramas are all  light hearted revenge/justice feel.

sunny is not going to end up with lee hyuk. it doesn't matter if she even ends up wang shik because ultimately, these dramas are about justice. not about finding love. justice is the goal. so justice for 8-9 people who got killed and 17 fake/close/attempted deaths. that's our kill count! this drama is about sunny and her gang cleaning up the imperial family system.

don't treat this drama as a typical rom-com because it isn't. so let's move beyond who sunny is going to end up with and who she does or does not have chemistry with or whether the love story is moving or not.... let's talk about the main themes of this drama -- revenge, justice, social responsibility... as well as the crazy laughs and twists... let's have fun chingus!

thank you and AMEN to this! :sweatingbullets: I am really looking forward to the last leg of this drama. let the battle begin starting from this

https://twitter.com/soompi/status/1086895351720603649?s=21

Are the stars display from WB?.. I hope it is but each time I think about it the image of the pleasantly plump WS comes in and then I laughed.. can he do this?..  I am not sure if anyone notices this but recently the writer always sends a reminder that although there are 2 actors portraying WS  and WB, their characters are the same.. “ if I eat more, I will get fat”.. :lol:.. “ I am really not used to dressing this way”  I would love to see a new side of WB.. the romantic side.. hahahaha

Anyways.. I just love reading the insights from everyone here. It’s a fun way to discuss a drama.!

The nanny is still a danger for Sunny-Woobin though she doesn't like ED. When WB asked Ari about the cookies, she suspicious whether WB really wanna open up who made those cookies or WB just want to help Sunny coz he really likes her. I think we can clearly see ED and YR are in bad side but the nanny, she can be in both ( bad or helping) but for sure because she wanna make sure she and Ari's position are safe in the palace. What if Ari isn't LH's daughter. Maybe Ari is the daughter of someone else. Prime minister perhaps? ED should do DNA test before accepting someone else into her fam....haha...

Go Papa Sohyun! Force some answers from Evil Mum!

the-last-empress-2.jpg

@PutriSalju lol. I did thought Ari might be the prime minister daughter. Nanny and prime minister were the ones who fought to pass a new law so princesses can ascend the throne. It is possible that once again hyuk was manipulated. Ahhh. Hyuk what am i to do if you were manipulated again. You really need to get your mind on the right track and start thinking carefully. But i hope they don't twist this around. Maintain as is, please. Show says Ari is Hyuk's daughter so be it. It would be too complicated if she isn't. Hahahaha

21 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so I get there are some who see more chemistry between sunny and lee hyuk and find him very charming,  but please see the genre of this drama. this is not a rom-com. this is not one of those school series where folks are going to debate who the lead ends up with and there are wars over which ship will sail.

this is glorious makjang with revenge theme. lee hyuk committed serious crimes. not one but SEVERAL. he is the villain and not the male lead. and this writer is brilliant old-fashioned makjang style -- this means those who commit a wrong will pay and there will be serious consequences. he, the empress mother, yura, nanny and the entire villain gang are going to get punished. it won't be a slap on the wrist where lee hyuk gets redeemed by a love story. sorry that isn't going to happen because this isn't a rom-com. he will face serious consequences because his actions harmed/killed several people.

@Lmangla, to be honest, I think the writer may have forgotten this is supposed to be a Fantasy, Suspense, Romance drama. In the beginning it felt all suspense and melodrama. Now it feels almost romantic comedy--but only from the angle of Lee Hyuk and his sister (Shin Sung Rok needs to consider doing more rom-coms instead 'villain', he's hilarious). The comic portion is also coming from Ari...I don't know what to think of the too grown little princess. She went from someone needs to discipline this child to my favorite little character. She just needed someone to show her they cared.

To be honest, I'm still not sure where the "fantasy" comes into this drama unless it has to do with the fact we have a dysfunctional royal family in the 21st century when they no longer exist in Korea. However, other modern day royal dramas weren't classified as fantasy, so I'm not sure. I don't see Lee Hyuk and Sunny being a couple, but I do see the possibility of Sunny and NWS coming out as a couple. 

I have to say that initially I couldn't get into this drama. I'm not really a fan of Jang Na Ra because it felt like she was the same character in every drama--didn't care for the acting style. However, I have to say that I'm really impressed with her acting as the character Sunny. She's had to present a range of emotions and character growth, that made me feel what the character Sunny must have been experiencing. All the actors have done a great job, including the youngest character of all...she owns the scenes she's in.

52 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

To be honest, I'm still not sure where the "fantasy" comes into this drama unless it has to do with the fact we have a dysfunctional royal family in the 21st century when they no longer exist in Korea. 

The fantasy is everyone killed actually doesnt die hahaha. They all magically survive except a select few.

20 hours ago, confusedheart7997 said:

Of course LH had committed wrongs and he must be held accountable. But LH's character reminds me of Ji Sung's character in Secret. There is a very thin line between black and white and most of us are in gray because  one can't be overtly good or bad.

LH is hilarious with his comedic side in full bloom now; however, I can't make the stretch of him being like JS' character in Secret. JS character, if I had to choose one in this drama, would be more like NWS. LH is just too darn evil, psychopathic, and childishly selfish. Yes he's falling in love with Sunny for now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to kill her in the next episode if he felt like she's betrayed him...  he's done too many evil things.  If he hadn't been so bad, I could find myself rooting for the new LH, but that ship has sailed.

23 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

The fantasy is everyone killed actually doesnt die hahaha. They all magically survive except a select few.

Yep!..Even the ex chief guard can resurrect! :blink:.. thought he was gone for good..  why on earth would Min YR save him?. looks like they are all out to go after WS.. poor guy! He is like the punching bag for everyone.. I lost count how many times he was hit in the head, slapped by various people and sustain injuries

Hmm.. wonder who will suddenly miraculously appear and who is next on the list to disappear!

On a lighter note, as I was re-watching  Thank You, I realized that SSR's characters in both the shows seem to be under the thumb of their mother's. Quite a mama's boy he is! 

54 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

LH is hilarious with his comedic side in full bloom now; however, I can't make the stretch of him being like JS' character in Secret. JS character, if I had to choose one in this drama, would be more like NWS. LH is just too darn evil, psychopathic, and childishly selfish. Yes he's falling in love with Sunny for now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to kill her in the next episode if he felt like she's betrayed him...  he's done too many evil things.  If he hadn't been so bad, I could find myself rooting for the new LH, but that ship has sailed.

What is NWS? I'm sorry. I am new to K-dramas so I am quite well versed in the titles. LH has burnt his bridges and sadly he's gone too far, whether of his own volition or as a result of his evil mom's manipulations. His is what we call 'toxic love'. The way he coldly left Min Yu-Ra to die and later on how he tortured her gave me chills.

As I think of LH and Sunny, I can't help but feel 'Then' a song by Anne Marie is just what was tailor made for this dysfunctional couple.

21 hours ago, confusedheart7997 said:

I meant that they are both gray characters. Stalking the heroine wasn't very endearing and his obsession over revenge wasn't very health either. But I enjoyed the angst fest. Secret was my first Kdrama and Ji Sung's fantastic portrayal of the character made me fall in love with kdramas. 

I request everyone to please suggest me some angsty dramas as I am new to kdramas. Thank you. 

@confusedheart7997, be careful what you ask for when it comes to angsty dramas...some dramas have so much angst that it makes you want to stop watching the drama altogether.  I have to say, for me, this one isn't bad in the angst department.....more suspenseful than anything. However, I watch long daily dramas too and those are angst overload to the point of being ridiculous at times.

I'll PM you with some of my favorite dramas...ones that I have watched over and over again over the years. 

I will say TLE to me has gotten better as the drama has gone on, which is also reflected in the ratings.

1 hour ago, confusedheart7997 said:

On a lighter note, as I was re-watching  Thank You, I realized that SSR's characters in both the shows seem to be under the thumb of their mother's. Quite a mama's boy he is! 

What is NWS? I'm sorry. I am new to K-dramas so I am quite well versed in the titles. LH has burnt his bridges and sadly he's gone too far, whether of his own volition or as a result of his evil mom's manipulations. His is what we call 'toxic love'. The way he coldly left Min Yu-Ra to die and later on how he tortured her gave me chills.

As I think of LH and Sunny, I can't help but feel 'Then' a song by Anne Marie is just what was tailor made for this dysfunctional couple.

No problem. NWS is the initials for Na Wang Shik, the family's bodyguard, that is falling in love with Sunny.  Yes, I agree with you about the song "Then".... it's a good fit for LH and Sunny.  

10 hours ago, jbeanie1709 said:

Yep!..Even the ex chief guard can resurrect! :blink:.. thought he was gone for good..  why on earth would Min YR save him?. looks like they are all out to go after WS.. poor guy! He is like the punching bag for everyone.. I lost count how many times he was hit in the head, slapped by various people and sustain injuries

Hmm.. wonder who will suddenly miraculously appear and who is next on the list to disappear!

And why keep YR alive!  But at least she is no longer the burnt victim.  She was terrible at the hospital scenes.  Now she is a villain again, her acting is up again :)  Seems she can only do slutty, mean roles!  hahaha. 

Archived