[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

so like many have said, the scene between wang shik and his mom was lovely but it asks a very important question -- if wang shik goes on the same path, then what difference would there be between yura and him? yura scorned love. she despised the people who cared for her and saw them as an impediment to rising up. so if wang shik were to kill her, what would that solve? he has waited all this time to know the answer to the question "why" and there is no satisfactory answer to her actions other than plain selfishness. so what would be an apt punishment? for her to realize that love is bigger than ambition and to lose that love. so we see glimpses of that where she is now mad about kang joo seung. did she love him truly? or was he also about ambition? we will have to wait and see but loving sunny's super attitude and check mate actions everywhere...

This has me wondering what will happen when WS finally confronts LH, the whole scene with his mother was kind of his inner self saying that is not not him and what will his mother say. So when it comes to it will he be able to go through with it in the end..?

Also completely agree about Sunny, such a difference to how she was when she first entered the palace, now she is going head to head with the bad guys.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, autumna said:

This has me wondering what will happen when WS finally confronts LH, the whole scene with his mother was kind of his inner self saying that is not not him and what will his mother say. So when it comes to it will he be able to go through with it in the end..?

Also completely agree about Sunny, such a difference to how she was when she first entered the palace, now she is going head to head with the bad guys.

so the mom moment was sweet but it also made me giggle when she said "why are you so skinny?" LOL... that scene drove home that wang shik will become the same as the villains if he goes through with killing yura and lee hyuk. so in that case, how do we get true justice? so am guessing that we will have a happy ending so that viewers can leave with a sense of justice.

from wang shik's conversation with seo jin, it is clear he wants to live -- where he feels like a day is a treasure and he has been robbed. what he needed from yura -- the answer to the question "why" and the answer was that she was a selfish witch. so there is no satisfaction. what does he need from lee hyuk -- responsibility, accountability. just as he realized with yura, he is also going to realize that killing lee hyuk is not necessarily going to give him any closure or peace about the situation. what really makes his blood boil is how these two went on their lives without an ounce of guilt. so what he needs is them to feel the weight of their actions in order to let go. killing lee hyuk would be too easy and frankly not that satisfactory..... so by some kdrama magic, wang shik might survive and find some peace that his mom's death was not in vain.

TLE does not make its audience take a breath!.. it’s definitely getting more intense and i am actually holding my breath to see when this runaway train is going to stop!.

the imperial castle is beginning to crumble and Many secrets/truth are being revealed. This writer is really good at keeping the audience guessing what is going to happen next. However, I am beginning to see that the villains will be punished and good will triumphed. It is really about justice and repentance as @Lmangla rightly pointed out when she described the writing  style of writer Kim. Hopefully she stays true and not change her scripts!

there are 3 particular scenes that caught my attention

1. Wb telling LH to let Sunny go if he really loves her. And it did hit the emperor real bad. LH only thought of keeping Sunny by his side and making her accept him is the way to protect her. He finally realizes it later but how will he repsond to it, we do not know. Right how he is telling himself maybe it is best to let her go but I am really interested to see what happens when he finds out that the feelings between WB/Sunny are not 1 sided and the identity of Wb is revealed. 

Letting go is a form of loving her as well and protecting her. That is the diff between WB’s love for Sunny vs the emperor 

2. Sunny telling LH to act as an emperor and not just be one. More importantly she told him to stand up and not keep silent as the latter is also a crime. Kudos to the writer for adding this very important message to LH. Again .. I would like to see LH take that into action. Only then he can learn to be a better person

3.last but not least is the heartbreaking scene of WS/WB mom’s telling her son to stop hurting and not follow the path of YR. this is all about learning to forgive. 

Every character in this show uses one another for their gain and what is important is whether one realizes the damage and hurt he/she has done and pulls back/ repent and seek forgiveness . I am glad that WB stopped using SJ and apologized to her...the faster the better so that it does not drag. I am hoping that LH will get there one day... admitting that he is wrong and accept responsibility 

This  definitely did not even cross the mind of the 3 evil women. Even MYR who has faced death so many times and yet she crawls her way back by hopping onto the more powerful camp. It does not even matter if she were enemies with that person before. Boy!.. she really goaded WS to strangle her and almost hit her with a rock when she still insists that his mom was wrong and Deserved to be killed.

Although it seems odd we do not get many WB/Sunny scenes and instead more of LH acting cute ( I swear that it gives me goosebumps each time), if one looks at this weeks episode, there are subtle reminders that the two of them do care deeply for one another and the writer is constantly reminding us that Sunny does not have feelings for Hyuk or forgiven him yet. I love the way how the director/ writer added in the scene where the stars display from WB was still hanging outside the empress chamber though the light has gone out. AND LH saw it! In addition, the way Sunny hesitated in answering princess SJ if WB meant anything to her. + of course her lurking around the pillar with a worried expression when WB was hurt badly by ED

i am still hopeful that the writer will wrap this up nicely and am looking forward to next week. This time no WB to be around to investigate with her. I actually miss seeing them working together...hopefully he recovers. he really gets beaten in almost every episode 

I would like to share the english translation of the oST 5 only one day. This is exactly the unspoken feelings of our main OTP

My heart is shaking
No matter how much I pretend it’s not

When I close my eyes, I think of you
And it makes it harder

When you turned around, why did you look so sad?
I’m right next to you

Look at me, just for one day
I’ll embrace your aching heart
My heart is filled with you
My feelings keep growing, what do I do?

Don’t be in pain, turn around for a moment
I’m right here

Look at me, just for one day
I’ll embrace your aching heart
My heart is filled with you
My feelings keep growing, what do I do?

Slowly come to me
If only I could feel your breath for a moment

Even if only pain remains, the memories are so precious
Words I could never tell you: I love you

Come into my arms, just for one day
I don’t care if I’m just a passing person to you
My love is strong for you
I’ll be a ray of light to make you smile
Just for one day

After watching episode 41&42 , I must say TLE really daebak! All the actors and actress really excellent in acting. From start till last moments , every minute is pure intense action roller coaster ride :o(especially when NWS discover MYR (CJH sudden appearance give me a shock too, this guy really did a great job! thou I feel his acting like a bit underrated:tears:) .

The part when Sunni’s father come and question LH about the money, and LH’s self-reflection were done so heart wenching  (thumbs up for SSR & JNR !!) I feel that this scene LH finally learn how to love someone but too late for him already( at least now he can make Sunni forgive him for what he had done). 

I must say I really don’t know what to expect for TLE cos is too unpredictable, I really hope they don’t rush to end the drama too abruptly cos the drama, script and everything was done so beautifully. Last but not least, I wanna say Shin Eun-kyung sunbaenim daebak!! She is so amazing ,I can’t imagine TLE without her as the evil ED :D

16 minutes ago, jbeanie1709 said:

I am glad that WB stopped using SJ and apologized to her...the faster the better so that it does not drag.

what I found really interesting was that seo jin seemed to think that wang shik was genuine with her and it is because of ED's orders to seduce sunny that he wavered. so rather than get angry at her Bin or frustrated with sunny, she might accept wang shik-sunny pairing and blame ED for it..  so what would happen if seo jin loses it and decides to punish ED?... ...

16 minutes ago, jbeanie1709 said:

1. Wb telling LH to let Sunny go if he really loves her. And it did hit the emperor real bad. LH only thought of keeping Sunny by his side and making her accept him is the way to protect her. He finally realizes it later but how will he repsond to it, we do not know. Right how he is telling himself maybe it is best to let her go but I am really interested to see what happens when he finds out that the feelings between WB/Sunny are not 1 sided and the identity of Wb is revealed. 

Letting go is a form of loving her as well and protecting her. That is the diff between WB’s love for Sunny vs the emperor 

wang shik being honest this week was actually hilarious. loved how he admits that he likes sunny and that lee hyuk does not deserve her. when lee hyuk protests, wang shik's response -- umm, you tried to kill her twice? she has been in constant danger since you married her? ... and lee hyuk can't respond. :lol: it was also pretty amusing to see ED give the same line to him and roll her eyes that he expects sunny's affection after all that.. in order for lee hyuk to truly feel the weight of his actions, he needs to know what it is like to lose people you care about. so far, people have been disposable and therefore, it is more like an inconvenience or "woe me" attitude. so yea, his acting cute was actually a bit creepy but it was necessary in a way.. he needed to bond with both wang shik and sunny so that he can lose them and then feel the pinch of loss and then he will know that grief..

also had to laugh when wang shik tells ED that he has no regrets about betraying her. hahahahah...

and ED admitting to liking sunny more than hel ro -- :lol: hahahah.. makes me think that ED must have been so bored without a good chess partner and now is secretly enjoying having someone actually brainy to tangle with. what's the fun of manipulating if you keep winning right? :sweatingbullets:

4 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

what I found really interesting was that seo jin seemed to think that wang shik was genuine with her and it is because of ED's orders to seduce sunny that he wavered. so rather than get angry at her Bin or frustrated with sunny, she might accept wang shik-sunny pairing and blame ED for it..  so what would happen if seo jin loses it and decides to punish ED?... ...

wang shik being honest this week was actually hilarious. loved how he admits that he likes sunny and that lee hyuk does not deserve her. when lee hyuk protests, wang shik's response -- umm, you tried to kill her twice? she has been in constant danger since you married her? ... and lee hyuk can't respond. :lol: it was also pretty amusing to see ED give the same line to him and roll her eyes that he expects sunny's affection after all that.. in order for lee hyuk to truly feel the weight of his actions, he needs to know what it is like to lose people you care about. so far, people have been disposable and therefore, it is more like an inconvenience or "woe me" attitude. so yea, his acting cute was actually a bit creepy but it was necessary in a way.. he needed to bond with both wang shik and sunny so that he can lose them and then feel the pinch of loss and then he will know that grief..

also had to laugh when wang shik tells ED that he has no regrets about betraying her. hahahahah...

and ED admitting to liking sunny more than hel ro -- :lol: hahahah.. makes me think that ED must have been so bored without a good chess partner and now is secretly enjoying having someone actually brainy to tangle with. what's the fun of manipulating if you keep winning right? :sweatingbullets:

Haha.. in total agreement!.. the expressions on ED’s face is priceless. I am beginning to see flashes of the old WS.. who cares what LH and ED thinks!.. actually I was waiting to hear,.. I was merely following your orders to make the Empress mine and my dear emperor said it does not matter:lol: and there isn’t any part that you will fall for her... hahahahahaha

3 minutes ago, jbeanie1709 said:

Haha.. in total agreement!.. the expressions on ED’s face is priceless. I am beginning to see flashes of the old WS.. who cares what LH and ED thinks!.. actually I was waiting to hear,.. I was merely following your orders to make the Empress mine and my dear emperor said it does not matter:lol: and there isn’t any part that you will fall for her... hahahahahaha

yea hope wang shik says that as well at some point... or even better if seo jin picks a fight with her brother and call him out on this plan in cooking up the scandal of the empress and bodyguard.. ^_^

1 hour ago, guin2 said:

The part when Sunni’s father come and question LH about the money, and LH’s self-reflection were done so heart wenching  (thumbs up for SSR & JNR !!) I feel that this scene LH finally learn how to love someone but too late for him already( at least now he can make Sunni forgive him for what he had done). 

I must say I really don’t know what to expect for TLE cos is too unpredictable, I really hope they don’t rush to end the drama too abruptly cos the drama, script and everything was done so beautifully. 

I got shocked during this scene, Sunny's father just rushes in with a box and LH has no knowledge of money being inside the box. I think Sunny was starting to trust him little by little but the money part she couldn't overcome. 

But she knew that it wasn't LH that told her father and sister, I think she calmed down a bit toward LH, going to his room and telling him to get it together and fight against his mother. I think LH has come a long, long way and this drama is very unpredictable so I don't think anyone can really say for sure what's going to come next, and that's sort of the beauty of it.

I just finished watching the two episodes. Never a dull moment and I savour every minute of the show. As much as I have come to like the (ex) Emperor, I must confess, he is the biggest fool, a clown; not an emperor, and definitely not evil 'evil'. He is rash and hot tempered. He gets played by almost every body. I truly wish he would wake up and smell the coffee and act like an emperor and not like a clown! :angry:

Also, what's with all the mothers in the show? Each one of them disgust me. My heart bleeds for poor Ari. That nanny! Argh... the (ex) clown emperor had to be the biggest fool to ever give in to her charms. :lol: He has invited in all the trouble and he has no idea how to deal with it.

The (ex) emperor is always out of the frying pan into the fire!:crazy:

8 hours ago, Crystal Kim said:

Hey y’all. If you look back at the scene near the end where LH and LY are at each other’s face, you can clearly see that LY took the white flower from LH’s suit. So, idk, he’s probably the one who’s trying to frame LH. 

Yeah but he is severely injured. :( He looks dead. 

My thoughts of the drama I think  and wish that the empress with not end up in a love relationship with Wang Shik or LH.  LH is a bad person even if the write is showing his more lovely human side.  Wang Shik is also a murderer. He wants to kill Yura and LH.  I find Yu Ra way of thinking is nonsense. She said to Wang Shik that she could be in a wealthy family if his mother didn't take care of here... Seriously... That is so low of her... Not even a child would think this way. 

23 minutes ago, MissAria said:

Wang Shik is also a murderer. He wants to kill Yura and LH.  

He wants to kill Yura and Hyuk. Of course. They both so mean to him and his family. But, even has lots change, he hasn't kill both of them until now. He just need them to tell the reason, confession and proper apologies. He wants to open up their criminality. 

I don't mind either Woobin doesn't end up with Sunny. But I really hope he has a happy ending. Seems every episodes he always get slap, gun pointing, fighting and torture. 

11 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Imo. The last empress could also mean the last empress aka Sohyun since the mystery in TLE does revolve around her death. 

The title Empress Dignity can also be related to both Sohyun and Sunny. Since both their dignities are affected. Sohyun by being said to have an affair right before her death. Sunny has been involved in countless scandals by now.

With that said, i'm not sure to who the title is related to. And i can see the story go either way, 1) the monarchy survives with Hyuk being a more responsible emperor or Yoon will be the emperor and clean up the mess of a monarchy they were or

2) the monarchy crumbles down completely

agree hehe, the title is a trick, it could also mean "the last empress" of LH (the main villain and emperor of this current timeline in the show), not the last empress of the whole Korean dynasty because we still have prince Yoon and princess Ahri.

11 hours ago, Lmangla said:

that scene drove home that wang shik will become the same as the villains if he goes through with killing yura and lee hyuk. so in that case, how do we get true justice? so am guessing that we will have a happy ending so that viewers can leave with a sense of justice.

For the bold part, maybe villains taking down villains? Our good guys can just watch them kill each other, mwahahaha...

Anyway, I'm all for LH's redemption. He is realizing a lot of things due to Sunny. I'm glad that Sunny made him feel loved, when she took his hand and helped him up, when she stopped him from jumping into the pond, when she gave him that wake-up slap and told him she knew he wasn't the one who did it.... Of course he still needs to be punished for the crimes he did, but at least he now learned that humanity exists beyond the palace upbringing he's know so far. He realized that everything he loves (the parrot, Empress SH) met with misfortune because he "dared" to love them, and upon realizing that, he pushed Sunny away from him, distancing himself when earlier on he was still trying to get close to her. 

Can we please get Ari away from the Nanny already?? Yes, please, to another DNA test to make sure that Ari is indeed LH's daughter. It's sad to see that Ari is shutting Sunny away now... Her own mother had poisoned her mind :(

As for MYR... sigh, I seriously cannot understand her logic that people who showed care and love for her are the ones responsible for her plight.... so no comment on her.

LH : He began to wonder about the true identity of WB and let people go to investigate.
Now he doesn't know that Sunny loves WS. The person he hates, he thinks she hates him, loves him and can forgive him.
but he will be given the opportunity to redeem of his but her heart is not at him anymore. 
Because,she loves the true self of WB, which is WS. She said 
"Life cannot be returned." with LH
She is regret for not being able to

make WS have a longer life
What she can do is let the King repent what he does and accept it. Sorry.
The regret to what he did

WS He said to Sojin

"He wants to exchange everything that has to ask for just one day "
The thing in his heart was that Sunny.

He had never requests for her to take possession,what he wants is "Time" 
He want to do more for Sunny
and saw her life happy.

My personal opinion :

WS & King 

I just hope they won't die.
WS has a good heart,noble heart and a good person.
- Wanting a "Miracle" to happen to him in order for him to have the hope of wanting to live.
- I want to see him have a "Happy Life" After he lost a lot.

King was born in the wrong place and found a around him bad but he tried to be a good person.
- If he dies, he will die "Gracefully". To protect one's life       

Or
- Accepting offenses , Accept the

punishment , Sincerely apologize for the things done by walk down from the throne to "Show Responsibility".
In order to be able to start a new life again.

ED , SeoKangHee , MinYuRa is a character which should not be forgiven because of blackness savage that can kill people show that .They don't care right or wrong and interest need myself.
Not interested in pain other people.

How much suffering...
The only maximum sanction is what they deserve.

They are women, but more brutal.
Two men in this story ... Creepy!

I think Woo Bin break up with So Jin because of he know he'll die soon, as a couple, if you have someone that love you deeply, even you don't like her ,and then you know you'll die, what will you do? You also will make your love to continue his/her life without you. Break up is the best. So So Jin will not hurt later. She don't know that Woo Bin time is limit. In the street side, he show his stressed because of knowing he'll die soon. :bawling: Woo Bin is not heartless, he feels sorry for So Jin in front of ED, and he will take punishment because of that. 

I miss Woo Bin smile , he is cute when he smile. Sooo muucchhh cutee... 

I know Woo Bin have his heart toward Sunny, that's why he stop his step after Lee Hyuk said if he spend the night with Sunny and exhale, before continue to step out. 

On 2/1/2019 at 9:48 PM, Lmangla said:

from wang shik's conversation with seo jin, it is clear he wants to live -- where he feels like a day is a treasure and he has been robbed. what he needed from yura -- the answer to the question "why" and the answer was that she was a selfish witch. so there is no satisfaction. what does he need from lee hyuk -- responsibility, accountability. just as he realized with yura, he is also going to realize that killing lee hyuk is not necessarily going to give him any closure or peace about the situation. what really makes his blood boil is how these two went on their lives without an ounce of guilt. so what he needs is them to feel the weight of their actions in order to let go. killing lee hyuk would be too easy and frankly not that satisfactory..... so by some kdrama magic, wang shik might survive and find some peace that his mom's death was not in vain.

I think the same..Wang Shik knows that too..He could kill Lee Hyuk anytime if that's the thing he wanted.. He wants to see the downfall of those who were resposible for his now upside down life. He wants them to feel regret for what they've done. That's when the justice will be served.. So far we've not seen Lee Hyuk regreting many of his bad deeds other than those involving Sunny.. He's always acting pitiful and thinks that all are his mothers fault that he was unable to protect people close to him.. He needs to feel the responsiblity and know how to be responsible for his actions. I think Sunny's trying to do exactly that... She's giving the message to Lee Hyuk that acting pitiful will not help you to be forgiven, man up, accept the reality of what you've done and pay for your crimes by doing things right even if it means you're losing the the titled life(of place).

I was so irritated when I saw him trying to jump into the pond.. I mean the first thing you do when you know you're not an emperor(well just suspended for now) is drowning into the water...WELL HELLO...DIDN'T YOU SAID YOU'D PROTECT SUNNY..WHERE ARE YOU GOING! WELL WE KNOW WOO BIN DIDN'T MEAN IT BUT..HE SAID HE'D BE WITH LEE HYUK TILL THE END. AND AFTER SEEING THAT YOU BOASTED TO LEE YOON THAT IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO HAVE LOYAL PEOPLE AROUND YOU RATHER THAN POSITION.. SO WHY'D HE TRY TO END HIS LIFE JUST BECAUSE HIS MAMA IS NOT ROOTING FOR HIM ANY MORE! WHY DON'T YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES AT ALL..He needs a long way to go.. He's still not there yet.

So far Lee Hyuk is being suspicious of Woo Bin.. That's  an interesting turn..That means he's using his head. Though it means danger for Woo Bin.. But as long as Lee Hyuk using his head I like seeing him rather than playing a random guy trying to plan perfect dates after being suspended from Imperial responsibility.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, Lmangla said:

I also had a laugh when ED Said -

I never liked the pretty face of yours.. :lol:

I also had a good laugh when we saw Lee Hyuk meeting Min Yura while entering Sunny's chamber! Sunny has such an excellent sense of humor.. In the past he used to ignore Sunny and go to Min Yura.. Now he's passing by Min Yura to go towards Sunny.. Writer nim thanks for this scene :thumbsup:

@jbeanie1709, the three scenes you mentioned are really the part of highlight of the dirction of the storyline in my opinion as well..There are some other important sides as well but these 3 scenes are truely enlightening for the viewers.

And thanks for the translation of OST 5. Do you've a translation of OST 3? I was looking for that one but couldn't find it. While OST 5 expresses Woo Bin's feelings for Oh Sunny, I think OST 3 expressed Sunny's feeling for Woo Bin. 

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

I was so irritated when I saw him trying to jump into the pond.. I mean the first thing you do when you know you're not an emperor(well just suspended for now) is drowning into the water...

in a way, it seemed totally in tune with his character -- he is all dramatic but zero action or responsibility.

but also in a way, quite realistic in the sense that many people who lose their job or retire have a very tough time and can sink into depression. for those whose identity is wrapped up in their job/title and who haven't developed other hobbies/interests/relationships outside of work, it can be quite daunting to be all of a sudden outside that bubble. many people struggle after retirement as they aren't sure what to do with themselves.

so from that perspective, lee hyuk's reaction made sense -- what is he without an emperor title? and he doesn't even have relationships outside of his title who can ground him. after all, who would listen to him or be there if he wasn't emperor? he is in that sense a nobody -- so thats kind of a depressing thought no? so him wanting to dip in the lake ...

13 hours ago, Crystal Kim said:

Hey y’all. If you look back at the scene near the end where LH and LY are at each other’s face, you can clearly see that LY took the white flower from LH’s suit. So, idk, he’s probably the one who’s trying to frame LH. 

I rewatching a epi 41-42 and yes true what you say about LY took the white flower from LH suit..the white flower still had in grasp LY during Hello come.. i think LY trying to frame a true culprit come out not only LH but maybe SKH also..always a culprit must take the action before investigation.

Archived