[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

1 hour ago, kaoriharang said:

As a predicted the Nanny and ED joined hands to get rid of Sunny. I guess ED realise she rather keep the Nanny than the ED. I do feel bad for the Nanny I mean princess Ari doesnt exactly treat her right but i guess because she doesnt know that the nanny is the mother? no?

With no preview gosh I am excited to see what happens know. Clearly I think Yura knows WS real identity so its no how will she make a comeback.

And Yura had a relationship with the guard who was previously linked to the 1st Empress .... what does this mean!??? oh my goodness!!! @alekaonu

The only easy answer I can give you is that it means DS's father is the guard... LOL... just kidding, that was an obvious one... I truly don't know and it made me wonder was the initial reason YR studied hard and wanted to work in the palace is to investigate the missing boyfriend? Then later on she was consumed by greed?

I think Ari knows that her birth mother is Nanny...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Ari does know that her birth mother is the nanny, however, she considers SN to be her mother. I think part of that is because AR sees SN as being strong, powerful, and happy, while she considers the nanny to be powerless and a drag.

Or could be that Ari heard SN will inherit all of GED fortune during the original will reading...

19 minutes ago, nikki7 said:

Or could be that Ari heard SN will inherit all of GED fortune during the original will reading...

That too... she also mentioned it to Sunny last night, so I hope Sunny caught on to that later on...

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

It was rather terrifying to watch AR put the nanny down in the most recent episode for not knowing her place. The nanny is furious but given that AR is a part of the royal family while the nanny isn't, not sure there is much the nanny can do about it.  Odd thing is that the nanny seems to still expect to take her place as AR's mother at some point, possibly as regent if AR should become empress. As strong-willed as AR is, I'm not sure why the nanny keeps expecting that. Actually, both nanny and AR are pretty scary people.

Everytime Ari is so mean to the Nanny, I hold my breath, waiting for Nanny to snap...

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I truly don't know and it made me wonder was the initial reason YR studied hard and wanted to work in the palace is to investigate the missing boyfriend? Then later on she was consumed by greed?

i think maybe ~after yura entered the palace to investigate about her bf, she found out that her bf was having an affair with the empress before went missing and she turned bitter.. maybe that's y she dont like dong shik (maybe she thought dong shik's father was being unfaithful to her)..after that, maybe she realised the only way to go up is by obtaining power in the palace, hence seducing lee hyuk..  

I just watched the most recent episodes, and I must say, this episode showed LH's development. 

When Sunny kicked him on the shin and lectured him for never regarding the impact of his actions on others lives, his expression and later actions demonstrated how much her words impacted him. Just like how Ari was impacted by Sunny, the emperor is slowly learning how to be a "human" from her. 

When Yoon told them about the cause of Sunny's mom death, it is clear to see how much Sunny's words came back to bite him. Because of his reckless behavior, he got into an accident, and because of his accident, a life was lost to save him. As he stared at Sunny, he tried to convince himself that was the proper action to take, but even then, he wasn't able to convince himself. 

And when his mother tried to kill Sunny, he definitely felt guilty and responsible for Sunny's life. It was evident when he was appalled by his mother's action even after they found out about what happened to Sunny's mother. And when ED called him out for wanting to kill Sunny in the past, the emperor's guilt could be seen in his face.

This seems to be a turning point for LH. He had always been under his mother's thumb and manipulation. She had used his fear and her false concern to control him, but today, at the end of the episode, it showed LH breaking away from her spell. When he vowed to protect Sunny, it was said with conviction. He had failed to protect his first empress and he had failed to protect his parrots from his mother's hand. This time, I think he would protect Sunny even if he discovers that he is not in her heart. 

I'm excited to see LH's development...he's capable of feeling guilty, which shows that he is capable of redeeming himself by repenting his past errors and making up for them. Also, I suspect that he felt WB might be in love with Sunny, because even though WB pretend he was rude to the emperor because he wasn't aware that the emperor had arrived, from the look of LH's face, he's not entirely convinced. 

Edit: By the way, Ari is kind of scary for the way she acts, but with Sunny's guidance, she should become a better person. 

The emperor Hyuk's problem, from a armchair diagnosis perspective, is that he has borderline personality disorder full stop from his fears of abandonment, difficulty emotion regulating unless he engages in impulsive behavior or some other destructive in the attempt to regulate, lack of trust, attention-seeking, insecure attachment issues, jealousy, chronic feelings of emptiness, pervasive instability in interpersonal relationships, paranoid ideations, SPLIT/ BLACK OR WHITE THINKING etc.

HYUK meets ALL DSM IV & DSM 5 CRITERIA.

For people that struggle with borderline personality disorder or have borderline traits, borderline emotions and behaviors swing from left to right. It is hard for them to emotionally regulate which is why they often engage in self-harming behaviors rather it's cutting, using drugs, drinking too much alcohol, highly and overly sexual, etc. They tend to be highly anxious and are often misdiagnosed with general anxiety disorder or bipolar. Someone that has borderline personality, their feelings emotions weigh on them like 20 elephants stacked on their chest.

This is how Hyuk can want to kill Suni last month & love and protect her this month. This is why he can love his grandma  and then turn around and try to kill her  and then have guilt about it .  This is how he can be in love with Yura and have her almost killed twice... it is that black or white/split thinking. You're either for him or against him,  you're either in or out,  for him there is rarely an  in-between. He has parental trust issues with abuse which is one of the few underlining precursors of borderline personality disorder.

Empress Dowager is an anti-social narcissist full stop! She does not empathize with anyone and can emulate emotions to get what she wants.

7 minutes ago, foreverempress said:

The emperor Hyuk's problem, from a armchair diagnosis perspective, is that he has borderline personality disorder full stop from his fears of abandonment, difficulty emotion regulating unless he engages in impulsive behavior or some other destructive in the attempt to regulate, lack of trust, attention-seeking, insecure attachment issues, jealousy, chronic feelings of emptiness, pervasive instability in interpersonal relationships, paranoid ideations, SPLIT/ BLACK OR WHITE THINKING etc.

HYUK meets ALL DSM IV & DSM 5 CRITERIA.

For people that struggle with borderline personality disorder or have borderline traits, borderline emotions and behaviors swing from left to right. It is hard for them to emotionally regulate which is why they often engage in self-harming behaviors rather it's cutting, using drugs, drinking too much alcohol, highly and overly sexual, etc. They tend to be highly anxious and are often misdiagnosed with general anxiety disorder or bipolar. Someone that has borderline personality, their feelings emotions weigh on them like 20 elephants stacked on their chest.

This is how Hyuk can want to kill Suni last month & love and protect her this month. This is why he can love his grandma  and then turn around and try to kill her  and then have guilt about it .  This is how he can be in love with Yura and have her almost killed twice... it is that black or white/split thinking. You're either for him or against him,  you're either in or out,  for him there is rarely an  in-between. He has parental trust issues with abuse which is one of the few underlining precursors of borderline personality disorder.

Empress Dowager is an anti-social narcissist full stop! She does not emphasize with anyone can can emulate emotions to get what she wants.

This explains everything. Thank you! When I was writing my post about LH, I was hesitating because I felt that in one moment, he would save or be kind to Sunny, yet I wouldn't doubt he would turn on her immediately. That's why I felt like I got a whiplash when I said he loved his grandmother and wouldn't harm her, only to find out that he did try to stab her to death. 

I thought it was an inconsistency with the writer, but I didn't realize it was a disorder. Thank you for your insight!

All i can say for ep 15 is that i'm awaiting Hyuk's development. It's nice to see how he's slowly changing his thoughts about Sunny, especially since the clock bombing is the last straw for him to wanting to protect Sunny. 

But.. i'm still on team bin so heh. 

ps: Princess Ari is really such a good actor (both the character and the actress herself) omg. at such a young age she knows how to play palace politics. I love her and Sunny moments too, like a real mother-daughter relationship! 

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Ari does know that her birth mother is the nanny, however, she considers SN to be her mother. I think part of that is because AR sees SN as being strong, powerful, and happy, while she considers the nanny to be powerless and a drag.

It was rather terrifying to watch AR put the nanny down in the most recent episode for not knowing her place. The nanny is furious but given that AR is a part of the royal family while the nanny isn't, not sure there is much the nanny can do about it.  Odd thing is that the nanny seems to still expect to take her place as AR's mother at some point, possibly as regent if AR should become empress. As strong-willed as AR is, I'm not sure why the nanny keeps expecting that. Actually, both nanny and AR are pretty scary people.

When Hello and Vincent are caught by Hello's father, that is totally hilarious. Hello is all "Don't object to our relationship, dad. I'm an adult woman, and you know that Vincent is a good man." And, her father's response is "I know! He's too good for you. He can do a lot better than Hello." Then the father drags Vincent away from Hello and pulls him into his side like a protective mother hen over his chick.  ROFLOL

As dark as this drama is, there are a number of these totally funny, crack up moments.

I think it is clear that YR is ambitious so is the Nanny - just that unlike YR the Nanny kind of knows how to play her cards right. The fact that she didnt get axed at all amazes me. I mean technically you dont need her anymore do you...

Ha it is nice that the drama injects funny moments it does balance out all the dark and just weird things going on sometimes in the drama.

I fear for Ari because she can so easily turn into another LH or ED. I just hope Sunny is a good influence over her.

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

The only easy answer I can give you is that it means DS's father is the guard... LOL... just kidding, that was an obvious one... I truly don't know and it made me wonder was the initial reason YR studied hard and wanted to work in the palace is to investigate the missing boyfriend? Then later on she was consumed by greed?

I think Ari knows that her birth mother is Nanny...

hmm, i dont think YR entered the palace for the boyfriend. But it is a noble cause if she did. I think with the amount of power she held she could have easily investigated actually. But rather she wants to be empress.

Clearly the Nanny had something to do with the death of the former Empress, I think at least along the lines of perhaps setting her up.

The Empress was pregnant when she died (correct me if I am wrong) so clearly, like YR the nanny saw her as competition.

1 hour ago, nikki7 said:

Well if Ari is close to Sunny because of that will - then she is more calculating then I thought. I do hope that there is some innocence left in Princess Ari I mean sadly or not the palace does change a person.

54 minutes ago, triplem said:

Can someone enlighten me ? Was there any mention that Dong Shik could be YR & the guard’s kid? 

Hi @kaoriharang! Good to see you here 

Hi chingu (:

it has been a long time.

Nope there was not mention of it explicitly but there were flashback scenes that showed the guard and YR. so the reasonably conclusion is that they had a kid but well we wont know that for sure.

At the end of last night's episode LH made a declaration that he wants to protect Sunny. ohhoo declare war huh.

Spoiler

Just a random question
but is the ED born a royal or was she a commoner first?

oh preview is out! @stroppyse think you can help translate?

haven't watched it yet... but wondering why it is red scarf... is the writer making some snarky fun reference to goblin. wasn't there a red scarf there too? ...

and chingus, come see our empress dignity inspired madness. we are having a ball at this event! :lol:

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Can someone enlighten me ? Was there any mention that Dong Shik could be YR & the guard’s kid?

It was a flashback of the guard. He was shopping with YR who was pregnant. And Nanny told ED that the guard has someone he was going to marry soon.

1 hour ago, kaoriharang said:

Clearly the Nanny had something to do with the death of the former Empress, I think at least along the lines of perhaps setting her up.

The Empress was pregnant when she died (correct me if I am wrong) so clearly, like YR the nanny saw her as competition.

I personally think Empress SH's death is purely the doing of ED by sowing seeds of doubt in LH's heart about the baby's father. Nanny overheard everything, and played her cards from then on. ED was also the one who sent her to LH's room to sleep with him, although we don't know whether that happened before or after SH's death..

Just watched last night's eps with eng sub... And Oh gosh... The things in the Imperial world are getting interesting day by day!!

First of all, I am so happy that Sunny & Wang Sik's ship is slowly sailing on its own! :wub: And to be honest, I want Lee Hyuk to end up as a good labeled guy in the last ep of this series. When Sunny kicked him out of her room, his reactions seemed pure & sincere.! I love his character development here... And it's good that he's now aware of his mom's evil moves. And now Sunny has 2 guys to protect her, Wang Sik & Lee Hyuk!! :wub: It's like as if Sunny has already won the game... :D

And Empress mom is an evil _itch!! :angry: She has a special power to provoke other people against each other! It's still unclear that why she's so greedy towards money & power but, is she planing on being immortal or something..?!! I want to know her dark secret!

And poor former guard is in a mental hospital now... Yu Ra should get to know about it! :blink: And what about that island..?! It's the main source of all the secrets in the royal family!

Love these two... :love: Cutest pic ever.....

49435930_2128178657493669_89807287356405

January 9, 2019

Notorious drama writers tapped in to rescue falling viewership 

Spoiler

optimize

Yoo Jun-sang, center, and other cast members of KBS new family drama "Live or Die" pose during a press conference at Amoris Hall in Seoul, Wednesday. Courtesy of Hankook Sports Economy

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

In a bid to draw in fans and recover from prolonged viewership slumps, major broadcasters are calling in drama writers who are infamous for their controversial plotlines. Unlike cable channels such as tvN and JTBC that are becoming increasingly influential due to their high-quality dramas, major TV channels rely on the shock elements provided by soap operas.

With Kim Soon-ok's offering, "The Last Empress," on SBS currently topping ratings in the Wed-Thus drama time slot with 16-18 percent viewership, KBS called in notorious writer Moon Young-nam to rescue falling viewership. 

KBS' new Wed-Thus drama "Live or Die," penned by Moon Young-nam, premiered Wednesday, is a story about Lee Poong-sang, played by Yoo Jun-sang, and his four troublemaking siblings. 

Middle-aged Poong-sang, running a small car repair shop, has lived his whole life as a father figure, dedicated to his brothers and sisters, but his siblings always cause troubles. 

"Traditional family values have crumbled and we face horrible news articles where families kill their own kin nearly on a daily basis. Families can be so much meaner to each other than to strangers," director Jin Hyung-wook said during a press conference at Amoris Hall in Seoul, Wednesday. "The writer wondered whether family is a source of power or burden to a person and that question led to this drama. Confronting dead-end situations, the drama will feature how each of the characters as a family go forward without losing hope."

As writer Moon was famed for taking cliched and predictable tearjerker plots and making them into powerful melodramas, as seen in her previous dramas "Famous Princesses" (2006) and "Wang's Family" (2013), drama fans can expect another tearful family story. "Wang's Family" had almost all characters arose uproars from drama fans in the provocative settings of adultery, marriage to kin and unfounded hatred, but its peak viewership reached nearly 50 percent. 

"The dramas will not be without teary-eyed scenes. I think the writer's strength is in bringing characters to life, so that drama fans can feel empathy towards those characters," the director added. 

In the meantime, SBS is faring well in ratings with "The Last Empress." The drama, written by Kim Soon-ok, shocked from the first episode, with explicit scenes of murder, violence and extramarital affairs to grab instant attention from viewers. A corpse was found in the palace garden; a female character hits the head of a mother-like figure and kills her; and there was a bubble bath scene between the king and his secret lover, to name a few popular points. 

Industry insiders say that major TV networks have hired controversial writers as a safe choice for somewhat guaranteed ratings, rather than challenging themselves to make quality dramas. "After repeated failure in the viewership race against cable channels, those major TV stations chose instant and visible viewership over quality improvement. I hear often that our target is lifting viewership, not making influential quality dramas. That is to secure ratings and profits from TV commercials," said an official of a local TV station.

jinhai@koreatimes.co.kr

The 10 most-talked-about TV series this week

By Yim Hyun-su The Korea Herald

20190109000249_0.jpg

These were the 10 hottest South Korean drama series during the first week of this month, according to big-data analyst Good Data Corporation’s weekly monitoring report. 

Sky Castle, drama

“Sky Castle” held onto the top position as the most-talked-about TV series in South Korea for the fourth consecutive week, accounting for nearly a third of the online conversations. This figure is determined by the volume of articles and blog posts written about it, as well as reactions on social media and in online communities.

The latest episode, which aired Saturday, was the most watched to date, drawing in nearly 16 percent of the viewership. The show’s growing popularity has spilled over onto the internet and inspired a plethora of memes and videos.

The show garnered praise from both critics and viewers over its dark but humorous depiction of the country’s education craze. There are six more episodes to come.

Memories of the Alhambra, sci-fi

The 16-episode sci-fi suspense drama featuring Hyun Bin and Park Shin-hye was the second most discussed last week. Billing itself as the first show to center on augmented reality games in Korea, “Memories of the Alhambra” is packed with sword fights and exotic Spanish scenery.

Hyun plays Yoo Jin-Woo, the CEO of an investment company, who travels to Granada after being contacted by an AR game developer about a groundbreaking project. Yoo’s business trip does not go as planned, however, and he gets entangled in a mysterious incident involving a fight with a friend-turned-rival.

The Last Empress, thriller

SBS’ flagship Wednesday-Thursday series has consistently proved to be a ratings success for the TV network.

Actress and songstress Jang Na-ra plays Oh Ssu-ni, who plays a musical actress on the show. Set in a modern-day Korea that is still a monarchy in the show’s alternative reality, Oh marries her way into the royal family and becomes the wife of Emperor Lee Hyuk. 

She enters the palace against the backdrop of rampant corruption in the country and falls in love with a bodyguard from the imperial family. Having found true love, she rebels against the royal family.

Spoiler

Encounter, romance

The tvN romance series began with a bang as the first episode broke the record for the most watched first episode of any show on the drama-focused cable channel.

Starring Song Hye-kyo, who returned to the small screen nearly three years after “Descendants of the Sun,” the show centers on a relationship between a hotel CEO and her newly employed assistant played by Park Bo-gum. 

The two cross paths in a chance meeting far away from home in Cuba. In a separate ranking from last week, Park and Song were named the most-talked-about cast members of a TV series, leaving behind the likes of Hyun Bin from “Memories of the Alhambra” and Kim Bo-ra from “Sky Castle.”

Children of Nobody, thriller

Actress Kim Sun-a plays counselor Cha Woo-kyung, who works with children, in MBC thriller series “Children of Nobody.” The 32-episode show, which began in late November, has just six more episodes to go. Over the course of the last two months, viewers saw Cha unravel mysteries surrounding a child by finding clues in poems. 

My Only One, drama

This long-running weekend series began airing on KBS2 in September. Seasoned actor Choi Soo-jong stars opposite singer and actress Uee as a father who meets his daughter after 28 years. The two untangle the secrecy surrounding their relationship, providing a new twist on the classic theme in Korean drama that is family affairs.

The Crowned Clown, drama

This is a TV adaptation of the megahit film “Masquerade” from 2012. Just like the original film, the show is set in the Joseon Dynasty. In the face of mounting opposition, a clown named Ha Sun, who looks indistinguishable from King Yi Heon, is brought in to impersonate the king and prevent an assassination. 

Quiz of God: Reboot, crime

The last episode of OCN’s nighttime thriller airs this week after two months during which viewers saw forensic doctor Han Jin-woo return to his job after four years and wrestle with mysterious investigations. The show is the latest installment of the cable channel’s “Quiz of God” series, with the first season dating back to 2010, which makes for good binge watching. 

My Strange Hero, romance

Boasting a star-studded cast including Yoo Seung-ho, who rose to fame as a child actor, the romantic comedy sees Kang Bok-soo, whose name translates to “revenge,” return to school as an adult to avenge himself after being wrongfully expelled following false accusations of violence.

Top Star U-back, comedy

A top actor who goes into hiding and a young rough-around-the-edges islander girl make for relaxed TV viewing. Yoo Baek is a self-centered former idol who has taken shelter in a small island town to avoid the spotlight after a major scandal. Oh Kang-soon has a few lessons up her sleeve for the star.

By Yim Hyun-su (hyunsu@heraldcorp.com)

Just wondering..random caculation in TLE how many times have  CWB/NWS carried Oh Sunny :D:

1. After being pushed by Hyuk..He carried her to her room

2. Slipped from stairs

3. When bomb exploded

He didnt need to do exercise :)

Archived