[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its been awhile since i logged in to my soompi account, and that only means one thing, im hooked to a kdrama that im willing to analyze it, stay up late for the live streams. the last empress' plot is simply a mega fantasy but that fantasy is what kept me hooked.  As for the characters my eyes are on the Emperor, this affection deprived man has turned into a monster, a monster that I am hoping would soften just a little bit and continue to shower his affections to Sunny. 

P:S cant wait for the next episode 

5 hours ago, nikki7 said:

Why the emperor got so upset his mother? Did she do something to Sunny? This time around, will Hyunk being able to protect his empress? I like to read other people analyses. Falling in love and getting out love are not easy. I don’t think the Emperor loves Yu Ra. It is lust. He trusted her to rescue him from his mother. His behavior is typical for rich and powerful kids. Will he turn around and how? The key is what Woo Bin will ask him to do? I am 50/50% not sure whether Woo Bin will survive in the end. Hyunk was saved and Sunny’s Mom died for some reason. I am very excited to watch the next episode. It is so unpredictable. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:56 AM, artbox said:

Oh man I know what you mean. I felt this way at the earlier eps when he was woo-ing her because it /was/ funny and if I forget about the murder, it was fun to see him faking hahaha. I could feel the chemistry beyond the screen *_* really loved that bit when they were both singing on stage (after all, both actors have a great voice!)

Ahhhh I agree with you and the post starter as well. This was actually my first drama with the two and it totally captivated me! For some reason, as soon as the Emperor does something funny or dorky, I always forget that he tried to a) kill Sunny and b) lit Yura on fire in the car and c) he's just a murderer... SSR is really charismatic in how he portrays Lee Hyuk and his chemistry with Jang Nara seeps through the screen. I know that Jang Nara and Choi Jin-hyuk partnered before but their chemistry is on fire too! Man, knowing that the Emperor is a murderer/cold-hearted person, I can't ship him with Sunny... I hope that SSR and JNR will be reunited in another film/drama (where he won't play the villain...) So I can ship them together...

6 minutes ago, prueksa said:

Why the emperor got so upset his mother? Did she do something to Sunny? This time around, will Hyunk being able to protect his empress? I like to read other people analyses. Falling in love and getting out love are not easy. I don’t think the Emperor loves Yu Ra. It is lust. He trusted her to rescue him from his mother. His behavior is typical for rich and powerful kids. Will he turn around and how? The key is what Woo Bin will ask him to do? I am 50/50% not sure whether Woo Bin will survive in the end. Hyunk was saved and Sunny’s Mom died for some reason. I am very excited to watch the next episode. It is so unpredictable. 

Turn around? dude is a monster their no turning back and she is not his empress in and way at this point.

Also lets not forget he wanted her dead not long ago she needs protecting from everyone but WB.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:37 PM, PutriSalju said:

One of the reason why I really like WB's character is he doesn't put his ego above anything. Like someone said previously, he has intention to take revenge. But he also take care others (who didn't do anything wrong) and won't put them in harms. He protects Sunny a lot. He didn't do anything bad to Lee Hyuk's sister. He just using her to get more clues. He even safe Yura from Lee Hyuk's plan to kill her. He guarantee others safe from his plans. But seems he doesn't think calculate one bad person in the palace, the nanny. 

I kinda disagree on this.  I think that CWB is blinded by his need for vengeance right now.  And, I guess it's somewhat understandable since he is literally a ticking bomb right now due to the bullet in his head.  I don't intend to go over all the reasons why I think he's blinded and a risk to the entire operation.  I just wanted to point out that he only saved Yura so that he could learn where his mother's body is buried.  If not for that, I think he would have killed her 100 times by now.  Honestly, I cringed when I watched her being tortured.  I think the only people who can watch that without any emotions are someone who is a little unstable mentally.  We already know that LH is, and I think that CWB's ability to watch it with no emotion shows that he isn't saving Yura out of any sympathy.

42 minutes ago, xprosperity said:

:joy: In a monarchy where the nanny has had the emperor's kid... *Ahem*.... Princess Ari.... :unamused:

But even then, no empresses who have bore sons can summon the emperor. If you want to see the emperor, you have to seek an audience. 

2 hours ago, xprosperity said:

What kind of monarchy is it that the nanny can summon the emperor to her room?!

in a Makjang monarchy where the emperor is a sexual offender + sadist + instant coffee lover, and the empress is a former struggling musical actress who now have to cook instant ramen and rice on portable stove in her bedroom :yum:

this drama doesn't make sense at all.. that's y it is so fun to watch lmao

25 minutes ago, cucumbermelon88 said:

Ooo I wonder what the papers were that LH ripped up. Divorce papers? Something to do with Yoon?

Man, CJH is such an good actor. Such expressive eyes in the preview. 

I also wonder as well. It's either got to with Yoon or Yura or Woo-bin-- I personally think those are the main three (apart of Sunny now too) things that he "cares" about the most in some way. Maybe the Mother Empress dug up some things about WB and wanted to show the Emperor? And then the Emperor goes: "Screw that! WB is WB and he's not NWS! No one can tell me otherwise! He's my brother!" Something like that? 

I got really into Shin Sung-rok's eyes in the last scene where he was hugging Sunny in her bedroom. It felt... sincere for the first time unlike every hug ever from episode 3 or 7 where you could tell he was totally faking his emotions. I agree, however that CJH is also great wth the eyes. I don't know how they do it but the expressive eyes are almost what builds a part of the tension in this drama!

ssr is seriously such a good actor

actually tle is so lucky to have such amazing casts and it's like they are outdoing one another by being brilliant and amazing in their own character

it's like a breeze for them to play their roles because they are totally immersed themselves in it 

like the cougar wannabe empress dowager who is just totally cray cray

the still not redeemable but sometime cute emperor (he is still very much thumb down for me still)

the one who is in the path of his own destruction the bodyguard 

and the what are you doing? one, our lovely empress

hahaha

i adore the semi transformation that lee hyuk has these eps

but that because i admire ssr acting chops, only he can be creepy and scary in one scene and yet cute in another and then just plain tender in the next one

the leehyuk though, even if he likes sunny now, he is still crazy, still ruthless, still evil

even if he is nice to sunny, the question we will still ask would be for how long

if he truly like her or even loved (still unsure whether he is capable of that) will he forgive her and let her go if she says no

let alone if he finds out that she is out for revenge and finding way to punish him

thinking of what he may do is already enough to make me shiver and scared for her

i dont think cwb is that much of a guy with much integrity for now as well too

he is more human than others have to say, and he does seem to care for sunny and others as well

but at the same time, he is playing the cruel side just to attain his objectives and goals

we know wang shik is temperamental and hot blooded, as it is still reflected in woobin as well

just that he doesnt throw his punches freely and publicly anymore

he is the hero, not the pristine, pure, white knight kinda hero though

in order to take down the dirty, cruel, and evil villain, even he have to dirty his hands too

and i think that since he is punishing the evil, making them suffer is okay for him

killing is no problem, he has done that, watching people getting tortured is okay for him too

because it is for revenge

but it makes you wonder how far he would be willing to go after this?

finally finish watching last week eps hence the long rambling

hahaha

1 hour ago, chubby^green^ said:

ssr is seriously such a good actor

actually tle is so lucky to have such amazing casts and it's like they are outdoing one another by being brilliant and amazing in their own character

it's like a breeze for them to play their roles because they are anotherimmersed themselves in it 

yea i agreed with ya, plus he gonna have another drama with SBS in this May. he's such a busy actor. :smirk:

1 hour ago, AlexandraReid said:

yea i agreed with ya, plus he gonna have another drama with SBS in this May. he's such a busy actor. :smirk:

I'm really looking forward to that one as well, because SSR's been superb in this. (Just look at how many people "hate" his character...)

I think he also plays a villain in that one (from what I heard) but I sincerely hope he gets another drama with JNR because their chemistry looks off the charts... :joy:

7 hours ago, jechoi1 said:

I just wanted to point out that he only saved Yura so that he could learn where his mother's body is buried.  If not for that, I think he would have killed her 100 times by now.  Honestly, I cringed when I watched her being tortured.  I think the only people who can watch that without any emotions are someone who is a little unstable mentally.  We already know that LH is, and I think that CWB's ability to watch it with no emotion shows that he isn't saving Yura out of any sympathy.

I absolutely agree with this. WB only saved Yura to not really torture her more but to get the truth of where his mother was buried. He honestly couldn't care less if she had died right then and there if he already knew where his mother was. I cringed a lot during that scene and had to skip the torturing scene for Yura a little bit since it was getting to me. LH watched it without a problem because well, he's a psychopath but I definitely think WB also liked that she was getting what he thought she deserved in a way. 

Thanks for merging them for me, @triplem:blush:

5 minutes ago, triplem said:

I think I admire SSR because he is able to cajole some sympathy to his monster of a character. That speaks volumes of this veteran actor's skills. So I do enjoy watching a lot of his scenes.

While WB may seem consumed by revenge at the moment, his core is not bad. He isn't doing this for himself. He is finding justice for his mum , and by default other countless innocent people who have died under the tyranny of this crazy imperial family. If there is a romance or love line at the end of the day, it should be WB- Sunny.

I definitely tip my hat off to SSR for portraying this role in such a way. It is no wonder he won an award while the drama is not even halfway finished. With that said, I feel as if I'm in a hate-love relationship with the Emperor, but it is not to forget that he is a murderer and can dispose of Sunny after he's done with her, just as he kind of did with Min Yura. Promises can be false ones.

While I know that WB is the wiser choice between the two (clearly) because he's not a bad person deep inside, I'd truly be okay if Sunny didn't end up with anyone at all and just lived on her own, finding her own true self. But you're totally right that IF there was a romance line, it'd be WB-Sunny and not LH-Sunny (that'd just be weird. Falling in love with someone who tried to kill you multiple times on separate occasions?) Props to the writer for writing in these cutesy little scenes with the Emperor to "wash" some of his crimes away (not really.)

So, I watched the short preview again and it looks like Sunny got hurt, you can see there's a bandage on her neck while she's sleeping in the same clothes from the previous episode.

My question is; who did it? 

Does Lee Hyuk try to do something to Sunny that she didn't like at the beginning?

Is it the result of Empress Dowager trying to over work her?

Did Nanny finally show her claws to Sunny and tried to harm her?

Whatever happened, I'm guessing Woo Bin wasn't around to protect her because he looks hella sad/guilty (hence why the hesitation to want to touch her)

Gah! I'm nervous, wtf happened! I need the next Episode nowww! XD

Preview for the next episode! (I miss when they used to show the previews at the end of each episode) Seems like the writers are really embracing the love triangle from what I gather from the title and the little Korean I can understand in the preview. I have no idea what’s happening at the end though. And literally everyone is going crazy for the emperor in the comments. We are all trash XD

Archived