[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Hi @kaoriharang! Nice to see you again. I have to catch up on this week's episodes, so I'm a little behind. And, unfortunately, not sure about the piece of paper you're referring to, though sure that other viewers on this thread will be able to answer your question. Since you say that you've been watching this drama, what do you think thus far?

I think it's a strange mix of makjang with large doses of humor, though some of it is pretty gross (e.g. bathing in human milk?, torture by abrasion of burnt skin with no anesthetic whatsoever?). Still, Hyuk is strangely fascinating to watch, SN is radiant and feisty, and WS is lovely to watch if having a psychotic bent of his own. And, that's only talking about the 3 main characters. Plenty of other weird personalities in this drama as well. I can't decide if I like it or not, but I do find it a compelling watch. I wonder if that says something about me then. :)

Anyway, welcome to the thread. Hope to see you post more here.

Hey! Thanks for welcoming me here.
it has been a long time since I last participated on the forum so its nice to be back (sort of ^^)

Hmm, at first I think in the first like 4 episodes, I was a bit weird out because it screamed makjang? Like even with some of the editing and music choice. I think all those gross elements are really to emphasis kind of how out of touch and untouchable the Royal family are? I mean it is amazing how they manage to get away with what they have considering that they are only a constitutional monarchy right? It is a bit insane.

However, I have to admit that the three main characters (WangSik, Sunny and Lee Hyuk) are really an amazing trio - acting wise and chemistry. I have utter faith in JN and CJH as actors. I mean they are really good. The more I watched the more I got hooked haha!

I am really curious like what would happen, what curve ball the writers will throw at us.

I have to admit I am a little bummed the romance is moving soooo slowly.

But I am like you where I am like huh? at one moment and then awesome another :P

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Hi chingu!! Long time no see... Glad you now have some time to watch dramas...

I think the letter is formally outlining the things that GED wanted the PM and his team to investigate regarding the happenings within the palace ~ Empress SH's death, Attempted murder on Sunny, LH having Ari, ED's misdeeds with the finances.... She was writing it at the end of ep.16.

HEY!

Well I have been watching just I have had the time or the energy to participate in any threads. Hopefully I will a bit more here.

Sorry for coming so late into the game ^^

Correct me if I am wrong but that paper was eventually taken away by Yura right? So in others words she has that evidence? I think..

I have to admit that even though I really detest Yura the Nanny scares me more. Especially since she has manage to survive in the palace for as long as she has. I am amazed they didnt get rid of her.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kaoriharang said:

Correct me if I am wrong but that paper was eventually taken away by Yura right? So in others words she has that evidence? I think..

I have to admit that even though I really detest Yura the Nanny scares me more. Especially since she has manage to survive in the palace for as long as she has. I am amazed they didnt get rid of her.

I can't remember whether she actually took it away or not, but the actual damaging evidence, or rather reports, are all in the hand of the Nanny. She intercepted Asst.Hong and took them. And you're right, I also think she is the scariest enemy because she plays her pity role very cleverly in front of different people. Even Sunny still regards her as a victim of the Imperial family. I won't be surprised she is the one who killed GED. Having hidden herself in the room and witnessed LH coming in with the hairpin, then probably also witnessed ED coming in with the poison. So she knew to use those two things to kill GED.

Annyeong everyone

I have been lurking in this thread since this drama started and only occasionally I will join in the spazzing.

Hi @kaoriharang chingu, Welcome! and long time no chat with you in threads.

Anyway I just want to share my thoughts. Since Crown Prince Lee Yoon and Oh Hello are in love, they will be a couple after the kisses. Then I don't think Emperor Lee HyuK and Empress Sunny will get back together. From experience of watching too many Korean dramas, its usually a taboo for the Koreans if 2 sisters married to the same family. If Lee Yoon and Hello are confirmed a couple then there's no hope for Lee Hyuk and Sunny to reunite. I do ship the OTP in this drama which are Sunny and Woo Bin aka Wang Shik but somehow I can't help liking Lee Hyuk with Sunny. Yup I know.....Lee Hyuk is very cruel towards Sunny.....I'm just saying :P

57 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I can't remember whether she actually took it away or not, but the actual damaging evidence, or rather reports, are all in the hand of the Nanny. She intercepted Asst.Hong and took them. And you're right, I also think she is the scariest enemy because she plays her pity role very cleverly in front of different people. Even Sunny still regards her as a victim of the Imperial family. I won't be surprised she is the one who killed GED. Having hidden herself in the room and witnessed LH coming in with the hairpin, then probably also witnessed ED coming in with the poison. So she knew to use those two things to kill GED.

you are definitely right.

The Nanny has really been playing her cards right. All she wants is the Princess to be Empress and then she wants to have her own rightful place as her mother.

She is like another ED in the making . Scary scary!!

4 minutes ago, alekaonu said:

Annyeong everyone

I have been lurking in this thread since this drama started and only occasionally I will join in the spazzing.

Hi @kaoriharang chingu, Welcome! and long time no chat with you in threads.

Anyway I just want to share my thoughts. Since Crown Prince Lee Yoon and Oh Hello are in love, they will be a couple after the kisses. Then I don't think Emperor Lee HyuK and Empress Sunny will get back together. From experience of watching too many Korean dramas, its usually a taboo for the Koreans if 2 sisters married to the same family. If Lee Yoon and Hello are confirmed a couple then there's no hope for Lee Hyuk and Sunny to reunite. I do ship the OTP in this drama which are Sunny and Woo Bin aka Wang Shik but somehow I can't help liking Lee Hyuk with Sunny. Yup I know.....Lee Hyuk is very cruel towards Sunny.....I'm just saying :P

Hello Chingu!
I didnt realise you were on this thread!

LONG TIME ITS BEEN A LONG TIME - for me at least haha (:

haha I dont think there is anything that Lee Hyuk can do to redeem himself?

I mean even if he does fall in love with Sunny (still unsure about this) I mean I think Sunny realise his character.

He fell in love with her because Yuna is out of the picture already and he is really shaken up and frighten.

I have to consider it as OTP’s first kiss, indirect kiss??  hehe oh well it’s better than nothing.:unamused::yum:

YECISQL.gif

Spoiler

yROSN22.png

NLv7VVJ.jpg

w5fv6zZ.jpg

cr to DC

That former guard, Kang Ju Seung drew this house which seems like the one in the island??

RE6LeJE.gif

pxGrTVM.png

cr to DC

Hi Everyone!

Loving this drama so much.  I'm personally not a big Shin Sung Ryok fan due to personal reasons (he looks too much like someone IRL that I know that I really, really dislike).  That being said, boy does he nail villain roles.  Seriously, he is awesome in this one.  I do hope that he'll have the chance (unless he already has done so) to do something other than a villain.  If so, I think this drama may help him venture into other areas.  I love the very brief moments of his goofiness, like when he decided that he would "save" Sunny from her fall off the ladder in Wednesday's episode.  Loved that expression on his face.  I also loved his reaction to the mixed coffee.  I normally only put cream in my coffee, but I also have a weakness for mixed coffee.  Something about it.  I loved everything about his reaction to it, from how he tried to taste it like a coffee connoisseur to that moment when he realized that it's delicious to when he kinda of flirted with it.

But, I am getting a little bit frustrated with the makjang elements being introduced.  Particularly, the many risks that CWB is taking.  I know he wants revenge and vengeance and he is literally a ticking time bomb, but he is completely blinded to the risks he poses for others.  It's about more than just him at this point.  There is a whole secret organization of people who have been abused, killed, or hurt by the imperial family and he risks putting all of them, their sacrifices for this "cause" and their mission all for his own personal revenge/vengeance.  In a way, I know that it's making him stay true to his character because NWS seemed hot-headed and not very bright.  However, he underwent some sort of character change in order to discipline and educate himself to become a member of the imperial guard.  So, I wish the drama would be a little tighter on that issue.

Regarding the strong smell in the DW's gardens, I think she is involved in growing plants and manufacturing drugs or poisons with them.  The court lady who ate Sunny's kimbap felt faint and head strong headaches.  I don't think that dead corpses alone would cause that.  Also, I would think that if Empress SH had found corpses in the gardens, then she would have told the Emperor and others about it.  Bc my sense is that she was still a bit naive about how complicit the Emperor is in the DW's crimes.

Finally, AB- blood is rare, but having AB- blood means that the Emperor could have received any blood that is negative, such as O-, A-, B-, and AB-.  If plasma is what he needed, then that would be different because that's the opposite and AB- plasma is indeed rare and can only accept AB- plasma (the universal plasma donor).  Plus, given that he has such a rare blood type, you would think that the palace keeps it in supply for emergencies.  I know, I know, it's all for dramatic effect, but I just wish that these drama writers would research some of these things more clearly.

6 hours ago, booha said:

That former guard, Kang Ju Seung drew this house which seems like the one in the island??

Is that the former guard..? And yes, I too got it that it's the same island on the painting! Thanks for conforming my suspicion, dear.. :wub: Even the guards know about the island! Then what it could be..?! I wonder whether it is related to the former empress So Hyun!

And I must have missed the blood type part completely! So I watched it again. There were certain K-dramas that included AB blood type as a key factor in the plot recently... I hope it's the same reason here as well. AB blood type is very rare. You can receive any other blood type when you have AB... And AB- is highly rare. Then Lee Hyuk only can accept any negative blood from another person. But if he gets any positive blood, his life will put in danger!! So now it's clear, Lee Hyuk has a dark secret that everyone is framing him without knowing himself.. His mother is so cruel. He is the puppet of his own mother!! :o And I sense that his life will depend on his blood type in upcoming eps....

And 10 yrs ago, he somehow received AB- blood to survive. But it seems like the blood was for Sunny's mom out there... :o And she couldn't receive the blood & she lost her life...

On 1/4/2019 at 7:48 AM, philosophie said:

So guys, what do you think is the ‘awful smell of flowers’ in the secret room of the garden? Drugs? Dead bodies (was it where the corpse was found in episode 1)?

The dungeon is under the garden.

7 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Is that the former guard..? And yes, I too got it that it's the same island on the painting! Thanks for conforming my suspicion, dear.. :wub: Even the guards know about the island! Then what it could be..?! I wonder whether it is related to the former empress So Hyun!

And I must have missed the blood type part completely! So I watched it again. There were certain K-dramas that included AB blood type as a key factor in the plot recently... I hope it's the same reason here as well. AB blood type is very rare. You can receive any other blood type when you have AB... And AB- is highly rare. Then Lee Hyuk only can accept any negative blood from another person. But if he gets any positive blood, his life will put in danger!! So now it's clear, Lee Hyuk has a dark secret that everyone is framing him without knowing himself.. His mother is so cruel. He is the puppet of his own mother!! :o And I sense that his life will depend on his blood type in upcoming eps....

And 10 yrs ago, he somehow received AB- blood to survive. But it seems like the blood was for Sunny's mom out there... :o And she couldn't receive the blood & she lost her life...

Or Sunny is also AB- and LH will have to repay in exchange for the past.

4 hours ago, gm4queen said:

That's my issue with that part of the drama. From what I have read, it seemed that in the state of emergency, there are doctors that administered RH+ for patients if the hospital runs out of blood because the patient would not develop an immediate adverse effect (but there are, in some cases when the patient reacts adversely to the blood would immediate develop antibody to attack the wrong blood cell...but a crossmatch test would have been done to ensure that the unit of blood could be administered) until a few weeks later...and RH+ blood have been used on patients with RH- in a state of emergency. With AB-, that can get from A, B, and O, I can't believe that their two lives cannot be saved. If it is only because their blood type is AB-, then I find that harder to believe. Furthermore, in most cases, the hospital would resort to asking for immediate blood donation from immediate family members or relatives that are present. 

http://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=2667567

However, if there are other condition such as Bombay blood...that is easier to believe. 

Edit: By no mean am I a doctor, so everything I said could be wrong. I just find the scene kind of unbelievable (but most of this drama is unbelievable as well...:sweatingbullets:)

It says a lot for this drama and for Shin Sung rok that a despicable character that repulses you one minute can melt your heart and make you go awwwww the next.

I was charmed by Lee Hyuk in the first few episodes, but grew to loathe him when I found out how horrible he was.

This episode, I'm charmed by him again. Well, it actually started again after the episode where he and Sunny and the little princess were playing that kicking game on camera. The little smile he gave when he watched Sunny's antics was just lovely. It melted my heart. It was so fast that I thought that I had imagined it.

Then this episode, all the best moments for me were his moments.

His face falling when he sees Sunny with WS.

Him saying to himself, why should I avoid them?

Him forcing himself in between the other two. 

Him saying churlishly, I want to drink coffee, then yelling like a spoilt child, Everything belongs to me! but too shy to say, That includes you, my empress.

Grinning with satisfaction at the packets of instant coffee.

Stuffing them guiltily in his pockets when he sees his mother.

Breaking my heart when he says slowly, and reluctantly, looking so lost, But I don't want to divorce her.

Coming to Sunny's aid, acting silly when he's always so careful with his public image.

Looking at Sunny as if he's hurting, seeing her cry, and saying, Don't say all these things, my empress has a tender heart.

Hugging her tightly, desperately, even though he knows she hates him.

The rare blood will be significant, I think. He'd probably give her his blood to save her life, and that will be the real proof that he loves her.

I think that he's learning to be human, and what it means to be human. He's no different from Princess Ari, who doesn't know what it means to treat others with respect. Both of them were brought up in an environment where they were taught values which are warped. Sunny will teach them to be human and this drama is telling us that no one is beyond redemption, that revenge begets revenge, and that love, not revenge, is the way forward.

6 hours ago, jechoi1 said:

Finally, AB- blood is rare, but having AB- blood means that the Emperor could have received any blood that is negative, such as O-, A-, B-, and AB-.  If plasma is what he needed, then that would be different because that's the opposite and AB- plasma is indeed rare and can only accept AB- plasma (the universal plasma donor).  Plus, given that he has such a rare blood type, you would think that the palace keeps it in supply for emergencies.  I know, I know, it's all for dramatic effect, but I just wish that these drama writers would research some of these things more clearly.

Hahaha. I thought the same thing. If he's AB- than he could recieve blood from 4 blood types as long as its negative. It wouldnt be as hard as finding O- blood that could only accept O-. Ditto about plasma. If  he needed plasma than AB- would be totally rare since then he can only accept AB- plasma.

As for palace bloodstock, well maybe the royals didn't forsee themselves to be the ones bleeding :sweatingbullets:.

3 hours ago, ChewyChocolate said:

It says a lot for this drama and for Shin Sung rok that a despicable character that repulses you one minute can melt your heart and make you go awwwww the next.

I was charmed by Lee Hyuk in the first few episodes, but grew to loathe him when I found out how horrible he was.

This episode, I'm charmed by him again. Well, it actually started again after the episode where he and Sunny and the little princess were playing that kicking game on camera. The little smile he gave when he watched Sunny's antics was just lovely. It melted my heart. It was so fast that I thought that I had imagined it.

I logged in just to say I am in the same boat!

tbh I stopped watching after the first few episodes because I thought that the writer was missing this chance to develop a complex relationship between Lee Hyuk and Sunny, especially back when he was still trying to pretend. I wanted to see more interactions that would’ve introduced this conflict earlier: an earlier LH who wanted to kill off Sunny but was either touched or curious about her. I think it would’ve been better to show these scenes earlier, so even Sunny’s quest for revenge won’t feel too easy if he’d been helping her unexpectedly before he tried to kill her.

better late than never, I guess.

LH is a complex character that I would’ve been more invested in had he been written by a better writer haha. I feel like the writer can’t balance or pace things very well because the gradual changes happens in chopped moments, instead of consistently. I.e. that time when Sunny was angry at LH in his study, and it was his first time seeing her feisty, stubborn side that Shin Sung Rok showed this slightly taken aback expression after Sunny left the study. And then...that development stopped for a while. So after a drought, the recent episodes show us LH’s other side again - that person who, when not fighting his family for greed and survival can respond to goodness in others. Then he could contrast it to his relationship with Yu Ra even before he learned of her betrayal. That moment would’ve been a highlight of how Sunny is different from how the women around him treat him (as the only one who didn’t use him, or expect anything from him). Oh well. I will leave myself to just imagine the could-have-been’s.

I don’t expect Sunny to fall for him ever again since he’d really done disgusting things, but it would be nice if the show could integrate these grey areas smoother. Even criminals in RL are layered and gray — serial killers who are otherwise loving fathers or sons, etc. Ah well, this is makjang  drama after all. I shouldn’t try to find something like Hundred Million Stars haha.

This has been on my mind for the longest time... Is WB less guilty than LH when it comes to murdering Sunni?

In my opinion they are equally guilty... I guess that is why I find it hard to ship her with both of them.. 

Both men have their issues..both are quite scary when they try to mete out punishment on their enemies.... 

2 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

This has been on my mind for the longest time... Is WB less guilty than LH when it comes to murdering Sunni?

In my opinion they are equally guilty... I guess that is why I find it hard to ship her with both of them.. 

Both men have their issues..both are quite scary when they try to mete out punishment on their enemies.... 

I think the reason why most people are not so harsch on WB when it comes to killing Sunni is the fact that while he did pushed her down the cliff he made sure that she wouldn´t die and would be rescued. If he had rejected the order it would have caused issue with LH and most importantly LH could have done it himself or hire someone else to do it and in that scenario she would have died. 

17 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

He did this multiple times to save her life how do you think the other guy found her?

How many times have he risk his life and his cover for her now?

No they are NOWHERE near the same at  all LH is a monster that orders all of this  WB pretends he follows but then an alter the plans.

Hi guys...I'm new comer in this thread. I really love this drama. It's complicated but makes me addicted to watch. Until now, my fav character is Na Wang Sik. Because he always protect person he loves (his mom and Dong Sik), respect Sunny ( I don't think he loves her at this stage) and very strategic. He knows how to handle the emperor and makes him 'follow' his plans without him realizing. Sunny is a good girl, but I think she's a nit careless which make her sometimes in danger. I see rare character like Na Wang Sik in any drama because he's like the combination of smart and strong guy. I do feel symphaty to emperor but I think he's really weak person to become a king. His brother is much more brave and smart than him. For me, the emperor is cute but scary at the same time. I think he has bipolar. Whatever it is, I hope he pay what he's done. For romance, I'm enjoying small romance development of Wang Sik and Sunny. I hope after all the messy stuff we have in this drama, they will start show affection towards each other. I want their relationship comes clean. So now, I enjoy their interaction as partner to solve the mystery in the palace. At least we see Sunny starting care and worry about her bodyguard. 

6 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

It all boils down to the intention. LH's intention was to get rid of Sunny, whereas WB's intention was to save her and keep her away from the danger that was in the palace. WB never intended to kill her, whereas LH did. So...no, they aren't the same. 

In many ways, WB is not as scary as LH. WB tries to avoid getting others involved with his revenge. Although he was manipulating the princess, he also tried to prevent her from signing the document that her mother gave her (and would ultimately causes harm to her). He watched out for Sunny, even though he puts his plan at risk because of her. He's more "noble" in his mission...whereas LH doesn't care who he hurts as he continues his goal and disposed of others when they have served their use. He only treats two people differently: his first wife and his grandmother (his attempt to kill her was induced by his mother, but once he committed the act, and his grandmother accused him for it, he didn't kill her...and that was different from how he react to his opponent, even though he knew his grandmother would ultimately do something--audit--to harm him).

As for Sunny...I am glad to see how much she has grown. Remember how she fell in love with LH? He caught her as she fell from the stage. The show mimics another situation like that because this time, she fell from the ladder, and WB was the one who caught her. LH didn't catch her this time because the first time he did, he didn't hold onto her and treasure her, so this time, he caught nothing...indicating he had let his opportunity slipped away. And this time, Sunny didn't immediately fall in love with WB because he saved her from the fall. As she said, when she replied back to LH about her simplicity, that she was simple enough to fall for his fake sympathy. She's more rational than in the past.

Also, I can't see Sunny falling for WB as for now. She was worried about him because she felt guilty for what had happened to him, and she felt grateful for his help and care. For now, Sunny cared for him as a friend, a comrade, and a companion in the dangerous palace, and she is more worried about solving the mystery and correcting the wrongs she had committed (being used as a cover-up for the murder of WB's mom) and the wrongs that were committed against her.  WB might subconsciously know he was starting to like Sunny (because WB was concerned he would developed real feelings for Sunny as he went through with the "seduction" plan), but his goal takes preceding and that's why he told Sunny she must make the emperor like her. 

Archived