[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

@butterflyempress welcome to soompi!!! I absolutely love your theory. Because I never thought of how LH would try to live out his lost life with preggo SH with Sunny and ari instead the he thought it would be if they were still alive and his baby had been born. When he killed YR, many viewers wondered (in the comments of the vid I watched it on) if he ever really loved YR...I’m starting to realize after finding out truth about SHs death, that honestly I don’t think he’s ever truly loved anyone He’s experienced obsession, like he had with SH and will probably have as you predicted with sunny. And lust with KH and YR.

Again, never would have considered the possibility that LH was getting beaten by his dad cause the dad secretly knew about him not being his bio kid (is the younger bro biologically related? Oh that would be great cause then he really is the true heir to the throne). Also if this is the case, the emperor also had a love child of his own-could it be that WB is also a blood relative to imperial family? Omomomo now that you bring up the mystery behind WB unknown father, and Sunny’s unknown mother, what do you think of YRs baby daddy/DS’s unknown appa?

Yeah it would be such a nice turn of the tales to see YR start sucking up to WB after all the horrible deeds she committed to him and everyone he loved because she wanted to be in imperial family. But the reason I truly believe in the possibility of sunny being the true sir is because of the title itself; last empress. Seems to me like at the end this is her being the last empress (cause I have toyed with possibilities that in the end ari inherits crown or LHs little brother and Sunny’s little sister inherit it). Not to mention she was the one that grandmama left all the inheritance tooo...(I feel like ari is totally gonna be the one to tell Sunny about this).

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!  It's been a while since I logged into my Soompi account for a drama.. Can I give my little two cents for this drama? I hope u all dont mind:)

Anyway.. At first I don't really want to watch the show (I cant bear the thoughts of watching that long episodes.. But then again I did it for one of TVN drama this year, lol) but CJH and JNR are parts of my fav actors.. So I got tempted and I watched it and I got hooked by it so yeah.. I kinda cant wait to see the next eps now.. Haha

I like dramas that show the capability of the actors and actresses, the depth of the story, the complicated things in it.. And I saw all of that in TLE.. I like SSR's face expressions, u can see that he starts develop feelings for Sunny (when her mother speaks ill of her at ep24/ep12).. Or CJH expression when MYR talked about scheming Sunny again (disgusted and disbelief), or JNR's eyes when she hugged LH at the end of ep22/ep10..I guess thats why he looks shocked when he sees Sunny with Chun Woo Bin (maybe he thinks that the one who really love him is her? It made me pity him a bit) 

Oh.. And I like @philosophie theories.. And.. I cant help but think that this one is going to have a sad ending (again) but a sad ending still better than the cliffhanger one, even though I'm a happy endings lover (that TVN drama made me cry just by thinking of the ending..literally cried) Guess I'll prepare tissues from now on:sweatingbullets:

Nice to see u all.. And have a great new year to all of u:wub:

45 minutes ago, junee22 said:

Oh.. And I like @philosophie theories.. And.. I cant help but think that this one is going to have a sad ending (again) but a sad ending still better than the cliffhanger one, even though I'm a happy endings lover (that TVN drama made me cry just by thinking of the ending..literally cried) Guess I'll prepare tissues from now on:sweatingbullets:

Aw thank you chingu!! I am glad you logged in and joined the discussion :) I hope it’s not a sad ending but at the rate it’s going with WB not getting his brain surgery yet, I am trying not to be too shook if the ending is tragic.

I feel YR wouldn’t die because it seems LH ordered WB to set up for the truck and fire.  If so, no matter how WB feels about YR he will not let someone die in fire.:sweatingbullets:
But other news hinted  YR died?   Maybe it’s about her character’s demise from  the rank of Ace villains and she might return later to help in bringing down the emperor LH??:unsure:

** @sbsnow_insta left a message to Iijah’s personal IG:
sbsnow_insta  Min chief secretary-nim ~ You are still a beautiful beauty ~ ^ _ ^ Soon we will see you there at 10 pm in ‘TLE’ live
l__lijah @ sbsnow_insta 2018 last broadcast, ttudung (fire emoti)

fvQfDOF.jpg?1

cr to DC

Iijah IG

Spoiler

(portion of the article)
As a villain character has been given a unique presence in Kim Soun Ok’s dramas,  MYR’s evil deeds have drawn interest.  However MYR appeared to fail repeatedly and was abandoned by the emperor at EP24 which surprised everyone.

'TLE' lijah was not the Ace villian

HR9otyY.jpg

Spoiler

MulPPIg.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20181228100614181

sunni-wbinni

Y3joIYE.gif

jZt942j.gif

5sQvIav.gif

cr to DC

18 hours ago, jbeanie1709 said:

Will we ever see this?

This was posted quite some time back.. not sure if it was cut

Cr. Choijinhyuk baidu_fan_club

That was supposed to be a winter kimchi making scene but for some reason TLE team left it out.  Usually a winter kimchi has to be made before the arrival of winter and it’s already a cold winter.  However any resourceful PD can use it in an emergency as a filler, like a flashback of OTP's budding relationship??  haha  :)

Finally got to watch it with subs. What the hell is in that island that ED is getting rid of people from left to right? Is she perhaps piling up dead bodies in the island or her milk bath which is definitely gross:crazy:? If it was gold, people would have found out about it unless she hide her cash somewhere there lol. 

The look of the emperor at the end was priceless lol. He probably regretted giving permission to WB to seduce his wife. History will repeat itself however mommy dearest won't succeed with her plans this time to throw Sunny out or kill her cuz LH will have a change of heart and ruin her plans considering the fact that he will be possessive of Sunny in the near future which I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing for her lol. 

Now the one I'm really worried about is WB. Hope he stays alive until the end. 

47 minutes ago, lu09 said:

Finally got to watch it with subs. What the hell is in that island that ED is getting rid of people from left to right? Is she perhaps piling up dead bodies in the island or her milk bath which is definitely gross:crazy:? If it was gold, people would have found out about it unless she hide her cash somewhere there lol. 

The look of the emperor at the end was priceless lol. He probably regretted giving permission to WB to seduce his wife. History will repeat itself however mommy dearest won't succeed with her plans this time to throw Sunny out or kill her cuz LH will have a change of heart and ruin her plans considering the fact that he will be possessive of Sunny in the near future which I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing for her lol. 

Now the one I'm really worried about is WB. Hope he stays alive until the end. 

History will definitely repeat itself except this time it is real between WB and Sunni.. and he will not kill Sunni.

WB will not stand still this time to have  abither beloved of his snatched by the emperor

Emperor will target WB since he" betrayed" him

17 hours ago, Lmangla said:

aughing and loving sunny and rocky bear's style of flirting.

sunny: I will not ask you if you had breakfast or if you took pain medication.

rocky bear: I had breakfast and medication but I will not answer your questions.

:lol::lol:

I lurve it ....ahahaha...while the romance here will take a back seat to the revenge , scheming and fire setting, I was very pleased to see some spark there between Sunny and Woo Bin. I like the scene she chided him when he insisted on saving DS even though he was in no condition to do so. I felt something there....or it could just be my overactive imagination??

Spoiler

ZqLMihs.png

Anyway, I am surprised @booha that ep 12 would be Lee Elijah 's last scene here on ED. While  I can't say I have any sympathy for her character MYR , I had wanted her to stay longer as I was entertained by the competitive scheming between her and Nanny. I wanted them both to ultimately bring each other down . MYR's premature downfall and demise is due to her impatience.Her confronting WB was not the right move, triggering him  to get rid of her . If she had been more careful and played her cards a lot better like what nanny is doing now , she may not have been killed off. 

(I am wondering if Lee Elijah had decided to leave because of all the harsh comments thrown at her for her trashy character here. Poor thing if that's the case cause she's just effectively playing her role. )

As shocking as the car fire scene was , I think the scene highlight for me was seeing LH's budding feelings for Sunny. The problem now is that he can't outright be angry at WB for the hug as after all it was his decree to WB to make Sunny fall for him (WB) . Also, LH has a lot of affection and trust in WB, and thus  would be very conflicted.  He won't cause any harm to WB until he finds out that WB is Nam Shik , and he has been duped . Can't wait to see how the relationship dynamics between the trio would change . 

QON2K51.png

1 hour ago, triplem said:

I lurve it ....ahahaha...while the romance here will take a back seat to the revenge , scheming and fire setting, I was very pleased to see some spark there between Sunny and Woo Bin. I like the scene she chided him when he insisted on saving DS even though he was in no condition to do so. I felt something there....or it could just be my overactive imagination?? 

No. No. you are not imagining things... I felt something there too... WB could probably be feeling something for Sunny already... I loved all WB and Sunny Interactions since the time she sprained her ankle... I found him too caring towards her as a guard. :wub:

As shocking as the car fire scene was , I think the scene highlight for me was seeing LH's budding feelings for Sunny. The problem now is that he can't outright be angry at WB for the hug as after all it was his decree to WB to make Sunny fall for him (WB) . Also, LH has a lot of affection and trust in WB, and thus  would be very conflicted.  He won't cause any harm to WB until he finds out that WB is Nam Shik , and he has been duped . Can't wait to see how the relationship dynamics between the trio would change . 

I loved this scene too! It's a pity that he had tried to kill Sunny off too many times else they will make a nice family. My guess is that he yearns for a loving family that is why he seems to be softer around Ari and Sunny. 

1 hour ago, triplem said:

(I am wondering if Lee Elijah had decided to leave because of all the harsh comments thrown at her for her trashy character here. Poor thing if that's the case cause she's just effectively playing her role. )

I know right? This could be one of the possibility if ep24 really was her last appearance in the show. It's a shame if this is the case.. Because she played her character very well, and ppl should know that whatever villain role played by an actor/actress doesnt describe who they really are.. I know Johnny Depp could be very good as a villain or a hero (just a simple example lol) If anything..a villain role is more difficult to acted..moreover if the actor's character is the opposite (nice,warm,etc) Well, I won't start blabbering about something out of topic.. Forgive me:D

Anyway.. I just want to say that I'm okay whether MYR still in the drama or not.. Guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

2 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

No. No. you are not imagining things... I felt something there too... WB could probably be feeling something for Sunny already... I loved all WB and Sunny Interactions since the time she sprained her ankle... I found him too caring towards her as a guard. :wub:

Hehe . He’s paid her a lot of attention for sure .  MYR’s suspicions of him & Sunny is not baseless . But he had a good excuse since he’s doing it under LH’s orders. But oh my wait until princess SJ finds out that her Bin - bin has been “two-timing” her . :sweatingbullets:

@junee22 I hope too it’s not the reason her character is killed off . But then again , this drama is full of surprises, she may still be alive !!!

December 28, 2018

Major networks resort to 'jump the shark' series amid falling ratings

SEOUL, Dec. 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's three terrestrial networks have been failing miserably to attract television viewers for their dramas in the last few years. They are now trying more actively than ever to capture viewers' attention with ridiculous or shocking storylines -- with limited success.

Case in point is "The Last Empress," a mystery period drama on SBS, written by Kim Soon-ok and featuring Jang Na-ra as a singer who is entangled in a murder case after becoming empress.

A scene from "The Last Empress" in this image provided by MBC. (Yonhap)

A scene from "The Last Empress" in this image provided by MBC. (Yonhap)

The drama is replete with desperate and shocking story elements, apparently intended to grab instant attention from viewers, such as a murder, violence, extramarital affairs and, of course, a love triangle.

To be fair, the series has so far successfully convinced TV audiences, as demonstrated by high ratings, largely thanks to the writer Kim's ability to smoothly weave those eye-popping elements together.

The Wednesday-Thursday series recorded 17.9 percent in viewership rating for its latest episode, which aired Thursday, according to Nielsen Korea, the highest among all the shows in the same time slot aired this year.

MBC TV's "Return," broadcast from Jan. 17 to March 22, was no difference. It was, numbers-wise, a success, with its rating peaking at 17.4 percent, but again the plotline went too far, showing disturbing and cruel scenes and indecent lines.

Aside from the aforementioned two weekday shows, only a few weekend series, such as KBS 2TV's "Marry Me Now" and "My Only One," which traditionally target family audiences, have managed to have marginal success. MBC and SBS have recently ditched shows that emphasize family values, and are airing instead more sensational dramas, like "A Pledge to God" and "Fates & Furies," on weekends.

The moves by the major networks are a far cry from the ones by cable channels, like tvN and JTBC, which have produced a wide variety of genre and trendy shows, like "Mr. Sunshine," "My Mister," "Encounter," "Misty" and "Sky Castle," that achieved commercial as well as critical success.

The trend could indicate a divergence of audiences between the terrestrial networks and cable channels, some industry experts say, as younger people tend to tune in to cable channels for fresh formats and content, while older people still opt for weekend family shows.

For the terrestrial networks, one of the easiest -- and cheapest -- ways to keep audiences engaged is to use a plotline that is as arresting and scandalous as possible, critics say. 

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

Thx for the welcome @philosophie yeah, i rly tend to theorize the most crazy stuff when it comes to k-dramas, they tend to follow a predictable formula. XD so i wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there's more birth secrets in the near future.

I haven't seen everything made by this writer but I did watch, Jang Bo Ri and Geum Sa Wol and I noticed this particular writer loves to give her female leads modest backgrounds only for it to be revealed later that bam! They actually come from influential families XD.

As much as I can't stand MYR, I feel it's too soon for her to kick the bucket yet. 

There's still the mystery of Grandmama's murder and LH still doesn't know the full scope of her involvement with WS's mother's death.

If not, then I wonder how the rest of this is going to play out. But if MYR does come back to take revenge on LH i hope they don't do a complete 180 and make her all of a sudden a good guy, it just wouldn't make sense with her character.

With the pacing of this drama, I hope this week's episodes shed some light onto the mystery behind that Island.

I wasn't expecting to get anything about the argument that led to So Hyun's death this week. So, it's possible we may get a little something about this island.

Whatever ED is hiding there might be the very thing to bring the Imperial family down. It's gotta be something more than some hidden slush fund or stolen money. It sounds to hold way too much importance for that.

As for this impending love triangle: It's about to be a hot mess! XD

But if it plays out the way I think it will, Sunny and Woo Bin got their work cut out for them because Lee Hyuk is so about to be that one crazy friend that doesn't realize he's the awkward 3rd wheel that nobody wants.

All in all, I just hope this show doesn't end with WB dying....I did NOT watch this drama to be denied JNR's x CJH's characters not ending up together at the end...AGAIN! 

Yes, i still feel a bit salty over fated to love you. XD

im really curious about the island. what is it about it? hurmm maybe that’s where omamama hides her lovers? 

hurm is it mentioned somewhere how lee hyuk’s dad died? maybe omamama faked her late husband’s death and put him in some secret prison on that island so that her son can be the next emperor and she can control him..

hehehe i love making stuffs up now after watching this drama.. i think im gonna start writing my own makjang drama soon lol :D

I am also very curious about the island! Could be something in there that protects the reign of  imperial family or maybe a torture chamber that exists there:crazy:.. well people have mysteriously disappeared.. the first empress’, the previous empress( They didn’t even let her dad see her).. She did have a contraption that pours cement on YR in the palace grounds!

has anyone wondered where is the body of WB/WS mom?. I thought the ED took it from the morgue and claimed it under WS’s name when she tried to trap emperor into marrying Sunni. and WBoverheard that YR/ma pil jo took care of the body

I also agree that it will be a shame if YR died in episode 24.. she would never find out that WB Is WS and that is very unsatisfying. I really wanted her to know that.

sorry, I am very glad MYR is out of the picture

please please please do not let her come back

she is a major pain in the butt....that is actually an understatement.....she is so evil....I don't think I can take any more of MYR

although as @jbeanie1709said, it is a pity that she doesn't know that WB is WS

I know how this writer is. She would never risk writing off such a popular villain this early. MYR isn't dead I can promise you guys that. Since she's one of the main villains she needs to get redeemed first before she actually dies. We'll see her next episode but it'll probably be at the end of the episode. She will definitely have some burns on her hands and body. This time she won't play the damsel in distress to LH. Instead she's going to threaten him not to leave her because she still knows too much. Seeing how much of a wuss LH is, he'll get controlled by her again even though he know longer wants to be with her.

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I had assumed that YR had died inside the burning truck. I can't imagine how she would have managed to get out, and there wasn't anyone else nearby to save her. I've been reading posts here, though, that she must have escaped somehow.

The instagram that you posted from I_Iijah also seems to indicate that it was her last broadcast.

If it was her last broadcast, it was a rather sudden and unexpected ending to her, but I'm okay with that given her many despicable actions to be betrayed to death by the emperor that she had schemed so to get into her bed and thus giving her some power, or so she thought. She should have known that he could change his mind, get tired of her, or as in this case, kill her in a fit of pique and anger.

While it would have been satisfying for YR to know that it was WS who brought her down, I feel that YR is not the main villain, so I'm okay if the drama wants to veer into dealing with the Dowager Empress and the Emperor who are both so evil in their own ways. SSR as the Emperor is killing it as the psychotic who was harshly dealt with by his parents which may have led him into his twisted ways. Still, I think every adult needs to take responsibility for his/her own actions regardless of where the tendency may have come from. Thus, the emperor is an amoral person seemingly incapable of distinguishing right from wrong.

Then again, I suppose I could be wrong, and they cook up a fantastical escape plan for YR. I'll just have to wait to see what the next episode does. :)

What a turn of events it would be if YR does survive the car accident but becomes disfigured and basically the opposite of how WS transformed to WB. Maybe she will physically look so different that they had to cast a new actress and she will be under a new pseudonym too. Maybe that might explain why the actress herself had last broadcast even though her character is still not dead because there’s still much more left like WB getting revenge on her (he said he would do it when she has everything but if she dies now, then all his patience and waiting will be all in vain).

@butterflyempress @Matilda_Anne @jbeanie1709 @ktcjdrama My initial thought when I heard about the island was ‘blood diamonds’ like maybe it holds some rare resource like that or gold that is much more valuable than money (since she wants that over anything else). Seeing how she enjoys to bathe in human milk, maybe the island holds some slaves or something that she uses for some other absurd method to stay young.

2 hours ago, sonequeen01 said:

I know how this writer is. She would never risk writing off such a popular villain this early. MYR isn't dead I can promise you guys that. Since she's one of the main villains she needs to get redeemed first before she actually dies. We'll see her next episode but it'll probably be at the end of the episode. She will definitely have some burns on her hands and body. This time she won't play the damsel in distress to LH. Instead she's going to threaten him not to leave her because she still knows too much. Seeing how much of a wuss LH is, he'll get controlled by her again even though he know longer wants to be with her.

I think that now more of the plot has been revealed, Min Yu Ra is quite disposable. Although I do not believe that she is dead, in the bigger scheme of things, she is not a major villain for the overall story; they are the mother and her staff, the nanny, the primer minister (to a lesser extent because he is a buffoon), etc. I do believe your portion about MYR threatening them all into silence, but she has outlived her usefulness because the story has transitioned into something greater, something beyond just the initial revenge.

Archived