[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

@gilaswan @rita96 like I said previously, Sunny isn't well trained yet :lol: that's why she went around telling others about the cards she has in her hand. But then again, Grandmama did the same thing, by announcing to Dowager and LH and YR about the emergency Internal Affairs meeting she called for the next morning. Since the Grand Empress Dowager even did the same, I think we can cut the newly minted Empress some slack... :D 

I can only hope the documents that Grandmama had written earlier about the recent happenings in the palace have been safely sent out somehow. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@gilaswan @rita96 like I said previously, Sunny isn't well trained yet :lol: that's why she went around telling others about the cards she has in her hand. But then again, Grandmama did the same thing, by announcing to Dowager and LH and YR about the emergency Internal Affairs meeting she called for the next morning. Since the Grand Empress Dowager even did the same, I think we can cut the newly minted Empress some slack... :D 

I can only hope the documents that Grandmama had written earlier about the recent happenings in the palace have been safely sent out somehow. 

This one also could be one of my point that there must be a fake Grandmama's death. She won't tell it if she knows it might be dangerous to her.

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

After watching the latest episode, I must say I'm a little disappointed in the way they have written Sunny's character. She is indeed coming off as the Dowager has described her - vulgar in temperament (entirely not befitting that of royalty) and thus not wise at all. Yes, she does explain it off herself when she tells the Grand Dowager that she has a temper. But it's really more than just having a temper. If she had not gone off telling everyone that she had the Grand Dowager's backing, I doubt Grandma would have been murdered. Surely with her uncovering the shadiness of the preceding Empress's death, she should have known well enough to bite her tongue and bide her time. I'm a little disappointed in Sunny here, actually.

In my opinion, she actually was able to control her temper. Looking back on the episode where she first discovered the affair, she is calm, yet we can still see her bravery when she invited yura to have breakfast with her and lee hyuk. Even if in reality she wants to pull Yura's hair out and make it a wig, and also skin her alive, she controlled her emotions well in front of them.

But after she was nearly killed by her own husband (twice!), framed to be an adulterous woman, told to her face that she was just toyed by everyone except grandma, I would expect her not to remain calm and collected. Any person would burst and would want to "get back". She just lost her credibility in the whole of Korea just because her husband and his mistress just want to continue their shenanigans. Credibility and dignity are two of the most important virtues in East Asian countries. People die and even commit suicide when they lost it. 

Grandma will eventually die anyway. She is the only one who is righteous to abide by the imperial family law. Others just want to stay in power even if they commit horrific crimes. She will eventually discover things and the empress dowager is not afraid to kill anyone who will try to remove her from the palace.

This is different from Wang Shik who works calculated and quiet. Compare to Sunny, he has no connection to the imperial family, no power at all and he can be removed from the palace in no time if discovered. Sunny is different since she is the empress. She has the power and it is not easy to get her out (but looks like she will since she is a murder suspect now). I like that she made the emperor and yura feel her wrath and it is not yet done. In fact, as she is continuously hurt, the more that I look forward on how she gets her revenge done. It will really be a tug-of-war between yura/lee hyuk vs woobin/sunny.

21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

13 minutes ago, tiaralavender95 said:

This one also one of my point that there must be fake Grandmama's death. She won't tell it if she knows it might be dangerous to her.

Then let's say Sunny & Granny blew it all by revealing their inner-selves to the public! :o I am also willing to think that granny is fine, but she seems not! Then it could be a plan of Granny & Sunny to catch everyone in the act! And how Lee Hyuk entered granny's room at the exact time after she got killed & amidst Sunny's presence! It can't be a coincidence! Am I the only one who suspect Yu Ra here..??!!

Omigod; all the long discussions here:- I'm lovin it! Will read afterwards. Watched the episode and it was a total Sunny show! Jang na ra slayed that emperor and his mistress washing scene *rofl*. All the three of them were surprised by her words and afterwards empress dowager too haha.

That hoodie boy i guess i yoon (from his physique)..maybe he came to meet grandmama? Because he was shown staring at Ms. Hong who was then going into her chamber with food. Or he can be LH? Running after the work was done? And I'm guessing that either the poison was on chopsticks/hairpin because her face turned deep blue color. Also; why am i getting feels that GED was murdered twice- hairpin and poison. Maybe LH had given her poison and then yura came to stab those hairpin from last time. Empress dowager can never kill GED because then the internal affairs get activated highly and it could demolish whole monarchy. She knew that. LH already said he could do anything once he get psycho.

Either the will or that nanny/Prime minister can support her now. Nanny was also missing before GED murder and who's seo kang hee?

I need to watch episode again haha. 

9 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

Then let's say Sunny & Granny blew it all by revealing their inner-selves to the public! :o I am also willing to think that granny is fine, but she seems not! Then it could be a plan of Granny & Sunny to catch everyone in the act! And how Lee Hyuk entered granny's room at the exact time after she got killed & amidst Sunny's presence! It can't be a coincidence! Am I the only one who suspect Yu Ra here..??!!

Then it must be LH plan to capture Oh Sunny kills GED. That's why he comes right after Oh Sunny noticed GED died! 

17 minutes ago, nakatsubebe said:

In my opinion, she actually was able to control her temper. Looking back on the episode where she first discovered the affair, she is calm, yet we can still see her bravery when she invited yura to have breakfast with her and lee hyuk. Even if in reality she wants to pull Yura's hair out and make it a wig, and also skin her alive, she controlled her emotions well in front of them.

But after she was nearly killed by her own husband (twice!), framed to be an adulterous woman, told to her face that she was just toyed by everyone except grandma, I would expect her not to remain calm and collected. Any person would burst and would want to "get back". She just lost her credibility in the whole of Korea just because her husband and his mistress just want to continue their shenanigans. Credibility and dignity are two of the most important virtues in East Asian countries. People die and even commit suicide when they lost it. 

Grandma will eventually die anyway. She is the only one who is righteous to abide by the imperial family law. Others just want to stay in power even if they commit horrific crimes. She will eventually discover things and the empress dowager is not afraid to kill anyone who will try to remove her from the palace.

This is different from Wang Shik who works calculated and quiet. Compare to Sunny, he has no connection to the imperial family, no power at all and he can be removed from the palace in no time if discovered. Sunny is different since she is the empress. She has the power and it is not easy to get her out (but looks like she will since she is a murder suspect now). I like that she made the emperor and yura feel her wrath and it is not yet done. In fact, as she is continuously hurt, the more that I look forward on how she gets her revenge done. It will really be a tug-of-war between yura/lee hyuk vs woobin/sunny.

Bold- i agree on that point that any person at her place was bound to worked up to that level but where sunny went wrong was 1st time when she told everything to dowager and 2nd time when LH came in front of her chamber. She shouldn't spoke to LH that she told everything to GED and nor to dowager. But then; GED calling LH and YR to beat them unnecessarily crashed everything. She would die even then too unless if the murder was committed by a third party. Tug of war is now including nanny/prime minister too as they envy upon yura/leehyuk. Also; lee hyuk's theory is sharp clear:- An emperor can do anything but still innocent; after all he is the emperor. It was said by emperor himself in the starting and i guess WS now heading to trap him in his own saying.

15 minutes ago, tiaralavender95 said:

Then it must be LH plan to capture Oh Sunny kills GED. That's why he comes right after Oh Sunny noticed GED died! 

Maybe he was only expecting to frame her with poison in the food but the he saw hairpin and got shocked because then in his opinion he was thinking about his removal and yoon's installation.

And the Dowager laughing maniacally in the preview can be about how LH and YR killed GED and hers can be the next chance

1 hour ago, tiaralavender95 said:

This one also could be one of my point that there must be a fake Grandmama's death. She won't tell it if she knows it might be dangerous to her.

Grandmama is dead for certain. That's already written in the synopsis. We are told about that even before this show started. 

18 minutes ago, violette00 said:

Bold- i agree on that point that any person at her place was bound to worked up to that level but where sunny went wrong was 1st time when she told everything to dowager and 2nd time when LH came in front of her chamber. She shouldn't spoke to LH that she told everything to GED and nor to dowager. But then; GED calling LH and YR to beat them unnecessarily crashed everything. She would die even then too unless if the murder was committed by a third party. Tug of war is now including nanny/prime minister too as they envy upon yura/leehyuk. Also; lee hyuk's theory is sharp clear:- An emperor can do anything but still innocent; after all he is the emperor. It was said by emperor himself in the starting and i guess WS now heading to trap him in his own saying.

I agree. Like what other commenters said, Sunny still doesn't know the ways of the palace. She underestimated the evil of the people she is dealing with. Perhaps, as the most elderly in the palace, Sunny would not expect that GED will be a target and she is the only person she believes to be on her side. GED is Sunny's weapon to all the threats she is receiving. I like how each of them thinks they underestimated their opponent (Empress dowager, for example, said this too many times). I wouldn't say that a character in this drama is dumb, in fact, they are smart to outwit each other even if the other person is in the bottom of the food chain.

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

Pretty Weird talking about her temperament after all that was done to her.

Thank you for pointing this out. No offence, but the woman was thrown from a cliff the night before and is dealing with her husband's betrayal. The murder of GED happened and we expect her to watch her temper. I'm surprised she is not sitting in a corner crying about her fate lol.

And if I may add. I think it is not Sunny who is behaving like a child. It is Princess So-Jin. Considering that she grew up in the palace and had an upbringing of a princess, she still throw tantrums LOL But she is a princess who probably did not get any favor throughout her life and also became a front for his brother's wrongdoings. 

Everyone, get your popcorn or whatever you prefer. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show!

GO SUNNY! GO GRANNY! BEAT THEM UP!:thumbsup:

When Granny took the wig off, you knew it was about to get real!:lol:

giphy.gif

LH... Just because you're emperor, don't expect that you can do whatever you want and not get away with it. It doesn't work that way. Do stuff like that and it will come back to bite you in the butt later. Same goes to YR. Then WS... Come on man! My poor Sunny, she can't trust anyone but Granny.

I can't wait to see the look of LH's face when he realizes that Sunny was never playing him. Her feelings for him were truly genuine, she was never after his money and actually cared about him until he pulled this mess.

Now I have been thinking how they will develop the relationship between S & WS after these recent development. If Sunny forgives too easily, I would be bummed because it is a cop-out since WS made some bad decisions at her expense for his own goals. I can’t accept if they go with the usual ‘ I have saved you before and/or again now that you have feelings for me - forgive me etc.’ He better earn back her trust lol. I just recall the Princess and swimming pool scene. I think it is setting up something....(if anyone finds out about her white swimsuit please tell me! I love it!)

Sunny is already suspecting WS is a double agent when she saw the mark on his hand. When she found out Byun's connection with WS, she'll know that WS never mean to harm her. Maybe even Byun will tell her directly... anyway, we're only about one-third into the drama, still so far from the end, many things can still happen. 

I finally caught up. 

-Ms. Hong is still in contact with the former Chief Guard Buyn. What will Ms. Hong's role be in the master plan? Is she as simple as an assistant to the GED? 

-WB purposely raised his hands to fix his suit jacket. I believe he meant for her to see the scar. I think he knew she was there.

So let see how many teams do we have in this game:
Team A: Dowager Empress
Team B: Emperor and Yu Ra
Team C: Woo Bin and Byun
Team D: Empress/Sunny 
Team E: Nanny and Prime Minister

May the strongest man standing.

Side notes:

-Emperor has a strong taste, perform bedroom act in public :D ..none of the windows on the yatch has curtain
-Prince Yoon climbed through the ceiling's plenum without a single dust on his white shirt..wow..
-When Sunny saved the woman, what she told her was like telling it to herself.
-I like Sunny's sister. She is strong, physically and mentally/emotionally as well. The way she threw a man over her shoulder, dang..Sunny should recruit her to be on her team. 

-For a moment I felt bad for the Emperor (the memory of his father). He was just a kid then, instead of explaining the expectations, they just yelled at him, berated him then turned around and praised his younger brother. Such actions would affect a child mentally. No wonder the emperor turned out to be a lunatic with nothing but rage, jealousy and delusion.

-I like the bird (emperor's sister). She might be selfish and petty but she is not evil, more like simple minded. She probably doesn't have the brain for evilness.

I also think that Granny was killed by two different people. 

Hyuk put in the poison.  Yura, not knowing about the poison, stabbed her with the hairpin.  (Just like in Murder on the Orient Express.)

And, when the truth is revealed, they will have a Romeo and Juliet ending.

Hahaha, a makjang drama utilizing Agatha Christie and Shakespeare.  :w00t:

Archived