[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

I can't wait for subs so watched raw already, yeah this drama is addicting....

Yes! Ma is out of the picture... Urgh, I can't stand him since Fox Bride Star, so I am glad I do not have to see him again. And thank you for telling WS the truth about his mother's death.

I cheered when Sunny used her position to order NWS to let her know where LH is. Her fangs are growing.... yay!! And from the preview, she's playing her cards well to keep up the happily married pretense.

CJH is just :wub:  I love smiley GMS in Devilish Joy, but I also love angsty NWS here....

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/5/2018 at 8:44 AM, sal2 said:
On 12/5/2018 at 8:21 AM, Matilda_Anne said:

omo the emperor and sunny had sex!.. 

Really... that is sad and stupid. I don´t see how people even care for romance anymore when they are doing this. trowing scenes like that without building the romance at least. I am out of here.  so for those that like this show enjoy

@sal2  I am sorry that you do not like the show and I hope you find a drama that you will enjoy watching.  

I am not sure I understand what you are speaking of.  Are you upset about the Emperor and YR or are you upset about the Emperor and Sunny (his legal wife) having sex?  It is nice to build a relationship first; however, in many cultures, arranged marriages are the norm.  Therefore, there is no romance building before marriage and they have sex first once they exchange vows, they learn each once they marry.    If I used many K-dramas as a guide,  I would say poor people marry for romance, rich people marry for finance.

The show isn't so much about who is zooming who, but as it proceeds it will be about Sunny (the empress) and CWB (her body guard) solving a mystery and bringing down the monarchy.  People aren't perfect in real life and have sex for many reasons other than romance or before they build a relationship. 

Again, I sincerely hope you find a drama that will make you happy.

I really don't know if they're planning to have LH in a redemption arc...cause at this point I'm just done with him! Not even pitying him for his past and first love/wife excuse!

Now he's just evil. Manipulative and evil. Like how do you plot to kill your wife on your wedding day??! If he actually does end up 'falling' for her :crazy: I hope Sunny kicks him to the curb!

And do we need a bed scene or make out session in EVERY episode?? Is it really necessary...? I get they're having a PASSIONATE affair but do we need to see it so many times??

Don't get me wrong guys - I love the show and I can't wait for the romance between WS and OS but dang. LH and YR need to CHILL <_< And his mum (I'm not going to go there, she's a whole other set of problems) but you guys get the gist.

20 minutes ago, blademan said:

And do we need a bed scene or make out session in EVERY episode?? Is it really necessary...? I get they're having a PASSIONATE affair but do we need to see it so many times???

I feel you but let me see if I could come up with a logical valid reason for them beside the fact of securing rating :-p

I personally dont think LH loves YR but just manipulates her and uses her as a weapon to fight his mother. Unlike Sunny where he could shower her with beautiful words and she would believe him whole heartedly, YR is a different level. He has to use different tactic and way to secure her "loyalty" and both of them as well as us know that raw sexual instinct is the way to go ehhehe

Different ppl express love and accept love differently. To SN the loving words, the gentle caring..perhaps for YR, the physical touching and desire

9 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

@sal2  I am sorry that you do not like the show and I hope you find a drama that you will enjoy watching.  

I am not sure I understand what you are speaking of.  Are you upset about the Emperor and YR or are you upset about the Emperor and Sunny (his legal wife) having sex?  It is nice to build a relationship first; however, in many cultures, arranged marriages are the norm.  Therefore, there is no romance building before marriage and they have sex first once they exchange vows, they learn each once they marry.    If I used many K-dramas as a guide,  I would say poor people marry for romance, rich people marry for finance.

The show isn't so much about who is zooming who, but as it proceeds it will be about Sunny (the empress) and CWB (her body guard) solving a mystery and bringing down the monarchy.  People aren't perfect in real life and have sex for many reasons other than romance or before they build a relationship. 

Again, I sincerely hope you find a drama that will make you happy.

I see my comment was short and not very good explained. Yes I was reacting to Emperor and Sunny bed scene. I guess what made me put off about the scene is that he have been intimate with YR for every episode before that. I therefor did not feel good about It because sunny not knowing what kind of person he is and what she have signed up for. It is more then the act itself, but everything around this marriage that is to me messed up and I just feel bad for our girl getting tangled up in this sh...t.  To me even if you are naive person those not give people the right to play with you and pretend... I just feel so bad for the girl to enjoy this... I want to ship her far away from this people. But seems like she is slowly getting her head in the game at least :) And hope that CWB and her can build a relationship that is mutual based, different from her and the emperor. 

I guess knowing who the PD and writer is, I knew it would be a crazy feast with adult scene and allot of mad people. I can understand why some feel it is addictive :) I like Boyfriend that is more quite and slower witch give you time to take in scenes and think about it. but taste is different so not gonna say anything about what people should like :)  

1 hour ago, sal2 said:

I see my comment was short and not very good explained. Yes I was reacting to Emperor and Sunny bed scene. I guess what made me put off about the scene is that he have been intimate with YR for every episode before that. I therefor did not feel good about It because sunny not knowing what kind of person he is and what she have signed up for.

@sal2  Thank you for the explanation.  I can understand how you feel, because I commented when it happened that he just left the bed of someone else.  (I wonder if he even washed)  Although that and the massage room scene put me off, it wasn't enough to stop me from watching the drama.  Unfortunately, men (in real life) around the world go home to their wives after leaving their mistresses houses, one night stands, and women of the night, and I find it disgusting and dangerous to the wife. However,  when I am watching a drama, these scenes tell us what type of character each actor is playing.  From these scenes, we know that YR has no feelings for anyone, not even the emperor.  She uses people to advance her person agenda; NWS, his mother, the queen mother, and the emperor. 

The emperor's behavior tells us that he thinks he loves YR; however, he will do his duty if he must, i.e. go to bed with his wife.  He also thinks that YR will help him break away from his mother so that he can become the emperor in his own right.  

I look at this drama as a historical drama, with a modern backdrop.  The palace has always been cut throat and a dangerous place to live.  Therefore, I look at the drama through a different lens.

Wow!....

This story is nuts! It is like an american soap opera on steroids!!!

But I have to say while I am not liking the Emperor or his affair, I am liking WS more. I am happy that they are show casing his compassion and kind heart. I mean, the fact that he couldn't leave his adopted brother behind in the end despite how angry he was at YR shows how he is a good person.

Already, we are starting to see him have a soft spot for SN and clearly is going to get swept into taking care of her. I think that WS by nature is someone who takes care of people. And SN is going to bring out that instinct with him. 

empress4.png

In DRAMA

[The Last Empress] Eps 11 & 12 spoilers, Choi Jin Hyuk x Jang Na Ra x Shin Sung Rok x Lee Elijah

Posted on Thursday, December 6, 2018

Article: Naver 'The Last Empress' Yoon Joo Man dies... Jang Na Ra tears up seeing Shin Sung Rok and Lee Elijah together 

1. [+366,-9]
What should I do with you, Choi Jin Hyuk? I'll be waiting for the next episode. 

2. [+293,-7]
It's totally childish. But why is it so interesting. I've fallen for the bodyguard. 

3. [+182,-10]
Choi Jin Hyuk's eyes.. It's insane. Ever since Gu Family Book, ha.. 

4. [+116,-5]
Those mannered hands at the end. He covered her eyes with his hands!! He's so cool. ♡

5. [+96,-2]
Looks like today's the day that Choi Jin Hyuk, Na Wang Shik suffers. The King punched him, Shin Eun Kyung slapped him, he got injured when fighting against the mafia. Looks like he can't help but be wounded. His reddened expression when he thought of his mother while riding the motorbike makes me think that he's born for acting.

6. [+32,-1]
It's a makjang and it's messy. But I could only watch this because of Choi Jin Hyuk. He's cool. I started watching this when Choi Jin Hyuk appeared. Love you. ❤

7. [+26,-3]
Choi Jin Hyuk saved this drama... If not for him, I'm not watching this. 

8. [+26,-3]
Choi Jin Hyuk matches satoori well too. Choi Jin Hyuk is the best. ♡

9. [+23,-2]
I thought I was watching a movie. Choi Jin Hyuk, do everything that you want. 

lastempress.png
Article: Naver 'The Last Empress' Shin Sung Rok to Park Won Suk, "I don't love Jang Na Ra, but Lee Elijah"  

1. [+91,-4]
Oh my, what do we do? Choi Jin Hyuk used satoori. ㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+78,-3]
All I see in this drama is Choi Jin Hyuk suffering. ㅠㅠ

3. [+64,-4]
What's this? What's this? Why is it so interesting? As expected, the child is Shin Sung Rok's daughter~~ 

4. [+51,-4]
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Makjang's dignity. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Soon Ok, do whatever you want. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ The male leads are trash. Ssu Ni-ya, just live on your own. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+11,-0]
It leaves me speechless but it's fun. 

6. [+10,-0]
This is a gang of royal criminals. There are so many secrets. The King is a sexual offender, his mother is a murderer, there are so many things. 

7. [+9,-0]
Choi Jin Hyuk is so cool this time.. He's lost a lot of weight too. ㅎㅎ

8. [+7,-0]
Ah, seriously. Don't let Choi Jin Hyuk get hurt!! Why is he so cool? I'm going crazy. 

http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-last-empress-eps-11-12-spoilers.html

Wow. That little girl Ari is actually Lee Hyuk's and the nanny's daughter. Birth secrets everywhere. Both Ari and Dong Shik don't know who their real parents are.

1 hour ago, at2005 said:

Can someone kindly explain what makjang is? Thanks

The definition of Makjang accourding to dramabeans is as following:

"makjang :: a sylistic, tonal, or narrative element in dramas that chooses to play up outrageous storylines to keep viewers hooked despite how ridiculous the stories become (adultery, revenge, rape, birth secrets, fatal illnesses, and flirting with incest possibilities are some makjang favorites). Shows can be part of a makjang class of dramas (Wife’s Temptation is a makjang series), or they can have makjang tendencies (Mary Stayed Out All Night went makjang toward the end). Generally considered a negative thing (“Gah, how makjang can you get?”), unless a drama intentionally embraces the style (such as Baker King Kim Tak-gu or Flames of Desire)."

~http://www.dramabeans.com/about/glossary/

In general, when a drama starts to get over dramatic and over the top like an American Soap Opera (or even worse) then it is referred to being "Makjang". Also, the laws of logic (and actually real laws), tend to be suspended or ignored with makjang. The whole point is to get to riled up and involved with the story. The more emotionally involved you are, the better.

Hope that helps.

**Update**

I found another site that give more insight into Makjang if you are interested:

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/82724/20150427/understanding-k-drama-makjang.htm

42 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

The definition of Makjang accourding to dramabeans is as following:

"makjang :: a sylistic, tonal, or narrative element in dramas that chooses to play up outrageous storylines to keep viewers hooked despite how ridiculous the stories become (adultery, revenge, rape, birth secrets, fatal illnesses, and flirting with incest possibilities are some makjang favorites). Shows can be part of a makjang class of dramas (Wife’s Temptation is a makjang series), or they can have makjang tendencies (Mary Stayed Out All Night went makjang toward the end). Generally considered a negative thing (“Gah, how makjang can you get?”), unless a drama intentionally embraces the style (such as Baker King Kim Tak-gu or Flames of Desire)."

~http://www.dramabeans.com/about/glossary/

In general, when a drama starts to get over dramatic and over the top like an American Soap Opera (or even worse) then it is referred to being "Makjang". Also, the laws of logic (and actually real laws), tend to be suspended or ignored with makjang. The whole point is to get to riled up and involved with the story. The more emotionally involved you are, the better.

Hope that helps.

**Update**

I found another site that give more insight into Makjang if you are interested:

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/82724/20150427/understanding-k-drama-makjang.htm

Thank you very much. I didn't think to google myself (probably too lazy to do so). "The makjang elements of a drama - rape, revenge, possible incest -can be so outrageously over-dramatic, they are impossible to believe." Found this line within the article. I don't find this hard to believe. We do see real murder cases where the step father rapes the daughter and the mother ends up killing her husband, either out of hatred or protection of her kid (I am addicted to this Investigation channel in the US and always read up murder cases). Those elements reflect real life...but there is one thing that is so true: it is rare for all the things to happen to one person. That person must have done something terrible in his/her previous life in order for karma to come back and bite them in the behind. :D

Omg this show is so damn dramatic and hella CHEESY :joy: So now we find out the Princess' actual mum is the nanny?? So much fun watching every episode - it's literally a roller coaster ride LOL

I feel so bad for WS/WB though...and CJH is killing it! His controlled emotions are so obvious yet extremely subtle. And his crying scenes :tears: He's just a really good actor man.

LH is just evil! Dare I say there was some (weird) bromance between them in tonight's episode?? LH is taking a liking to him so the revenge is just gonna be sweeter (for the audience at least ;))

SUNNY FOUND OUT!! FINALLY! I was kinda tired watching her being all gullible and misled into thinking LH actually liked her. I mean, I don't blame her - he's really charming when he wants to be! But I'm glad she found out and YES! WS was by her side :wub:  their chemistry is amazing so far! Can't wait for the actual sparks...we know it's gonna be angsty by the look of the makjang-ness so far :w00t:

I can totally understand how they're nearly leading in ratings every week so far :heart:

"In the drama 'The quality of the Empress', 11th and 12th ratings on December 6 were 8.3% (National 7.9%) and 11.5% (National 10.5%) respectively, It has topped the record. The highest audience rating soared to 13.87%, ranking first in the all-round drama. "

Wow...

ps. I used google translate

13 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@at2005 If you read a few pages back, @lmangla defined makjang very well in a language easily understood by all... :lol:

If I find it, I'll tag you again.

Thank you. I don't find being dramatic is an issue as long as it is done right (keep you on your toes you know) and of course add  a smooth story line.

Take WS transformation for an example. Minus the height difference (they should/could have found someone with similar height), I don't find transformation that is hard to accept. Just google random people that lost a lot of weight. With a good hair cut, some have turned from ugly duckling into a swan (both male and female). 

With that being said, we are (viewers) are way too picky? Do we have to nitpick on every tiny little things and forget the story line and other important information? :D I have to watch all 6 eps with subtitle this weekend in order for me to analyze and nitpick the series :D

10 minutes ago, at2005 said:

Take WS transformation for an example. Minus the height difference (they should/could have found someone with similar height),

Have you googled their height difference? It's only 4cm. CHJ 186cm, THH 182cm.... THH looks much shorter because he is wider in proportion, esp.with wearing the fat suit. So yeah, I consider a difference of 4cm as similar.

11 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Have you googled their height difference? It's only 4cm. CHJ 186cm, THH 182cm.... THH looks much shorter because he is wider in proportion, esp.with wearing the fat suit. So yeah, I consider a difference of 4cm as similar.

Unfortunately, I was like most viewers who didn't check out the actual height difference and took what we saw as is (oh how visual could affect one's judgement). 4 cm is a bit over 1.5 inches which is not too bad. Well we could say he corrected his posture during the training and no longer hunches over due to the weight issue :D There, I have explained the height difference :D

Well... The ratings are getting higher!! Now I can understand what the Korean audience wants.. SEX :crazy:Yeah, now it's pretty obvious! You don't have to use your logic in this series. It's all about intimacy that no logic required!! And birth secrets are everywhere! What an emperor..??!! :angry: If any one can kick off Lee Hyuk & Min Yu Ra, then I'll happily watch this series!!!

Anyway, for those who are enjoying this show, what are you guys so addicted to..?! I am speechless! :crazy:

Archived