[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

8 Reasons We’re Even More Hooked On “The Last Empress” After Episodes 5-8

by hgordon

c93668f410b442ea9a8c1913cb6bb836.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “The Last Empress” had such a shocking and suspenseful premiere that we were eagerly waiting to see how the drama would follow up in its second week. Would it continue to wow with the action and plot twists? Or would it try to do too much, and crash and burn in an overdramatic blaze of glory?

Well, episodes 5-8 were certainly dramatic, but in the best possible way: “The Last Empress” knows how to keep us on the edge of our seats with one sensational scene after another, and how to poke fun at itself when it borders on too absurd. This is exactly the kind of over-the-top action that we can’t look away from, so here are eight reasons why we’re even more obsessed with “The Last Empress” after week two!

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1272279wpp/8-reasons-even-hooked-last-empress-episodes-5-8

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This drama never fails to amuse me...I like how they throw caution to the wind and making  it as sensational as possible. Did you realise how clever the writer is in creating dramatic irony. One moment a reporter says how the Imperial household is keeping the wedding low key as a good example for its citizens, next thing you know someone decides that lifting her up on a decorated crane is the best way to celebrate the new empress. And honestly the secret service/ palace guards were pretty slow , they easily let her hang there for a good 5 mins - I was amused that they were too busy blocking people from going to her instead of trying to get her to let go and catch her :D . Of course this was to prepare the way for a dramatic rescue by our rocky bear .

And no,  the craziness does not end there . The emperor decides to create good publicity and do some damage control  by having his very own edition of We Got Married :joy:. I thought this is such a smart move. And dear Oh Sunny , in complete fangirl mode, still swooning over the Emperor. I am so looking forward to her finding out she has been duped. Jang Nara is a great actress, so i believe her when she says after eps 6 the tables will turn. 

So just a note about  YuRa and the actress playing her. For me she's really the scene stealer when she appears. In revenge melodramas , I am a big fan of villains that are complex and have  some layers to their character.  Not that I approve of what they do, but it is always juicier and gives the plot more substance when the antagonists are as interesting as the heroes. If you had watched Lee Mi Sook in Money Flower or Lee Hye Young who plays Cha Moon Sook in Lawless Lawyer, you will see that the villain is not just a tool to make the protagonist look good. These actresses played their characters with conviction and their roles were not one dimensional . They had their own stories to tell which made the watch a lot more fun. So Lee Elijah's  Yu Ra is giving me the same vibes, hence unlike others I actually enjoy watching her scenes. 

@Lmangla I want the option that is most OTT...because that is what the drama has been  so far...OPTION 4 :tounge_xd: 

Jang Nara Tries To Win The Emperor’s Heart In “The Last Empress”

by S. Park

7c2735f4fc0c4a63905a1eeeb62e0c80.jpeg?s=

Jang Nara is on a mission of seduction!

On December 5, SBS’s “The Last Empress” unveiled new stills of Jang Nara in the upcoming episode.

The actress currently appears as a musical actress named Oh Sunny who becomes an empress after getting married to the emperor. Her silly, bubbly appearance and sincere love for the emperor have won over viewers.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1273757wpp/jang-nara-tries-win-emperors-heart-last-empress

Choi Jin Hyuk And Shin Sung Rok Test Their Swordsmanship In “The Last Empress”

by J. Lim
fbdd8aa0e04141998202f20d6eab578a.jpeg?s=

Choi Jin Hyuk and Shin Sung Rok are about to get viewers’s hearts racing with a charismatic action scene in SBS’s “The Last Empress”!

In “The Last Empress,” Choi Jin Hyuk plays the role of Na Wang Shik/Chun Woo Bin, who becomes an imperial bodyguard after vowing revenge, while Shin Sung Rok plays the role of Emperor Lee Hyuk.

The upcoming episode will follow the two as they engage in a battle of swordsmanship. The new stills show the duo locked in a fierce battle, their competitive streak coming through as they dodge each other’s blows and try to get the upper hand. The scene is said to be riveting as the two characters move like bolts of lightning to create a fast-paced, exciting scene.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1273889wpp/choi-jin-hyuk-shin-sung-rok-test-swordsmanship-last-empress

omo the emperor and sunny had sex!.. yura was upset so she smashed photo frame and hurt her hand.. the hot hunk bodyguard saw yura.. the emperor called yura after the sex lol and the hot hunk bodyguard heard their conversation.. he knows now.. and he saw yura’s handbag.. he remembered the bag is the same bag he saw inside the house in the wood.. 

wth the emperor and sunny went to a party and sunny started singing and dancing lolzz and it was broadcasted on tv.. emperor started to like sunny i think coz he smiled while looking at her.. yura was furious. end

sorry guys i only saw a few parts of today’s ep.. not the whole ep.. 

16 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

omo the emperor and sunny had sex!.. 

Really... that is sad and stupid. I don´t see how people even care for romance anymore when they are doing this. trowing scenes like that without building the romance at least. I am out of here.  so for those that like this show enjoy :) 

hot hunk bodyguard was really sad so he went to see jedi master.. he and dongshik cried in the rain ** i dunno why.. 

the moustache man is suspicious of hot hunk now. he asked someone about him..

and emperor, yura and his mother were fighting and grandma heard the commotion. she summoned yura into her room. dunno what happens next.. and that’s it from me guys coz the stream lagged so much.. 

@Matilda_Anne thank you for the live updates :) I only saw it halfway. I'm quite amused because our writer is throwing everything there now :lol: There is drama, murder, thriller, sex, action, comedy, musical, and now there is also anime :lol: I wonder what's next...

1544021583_1419860.jpg

EDIT: Currently, the drama is on top of real time naver search. Curiosity amongst korean viewers is increasing :) Let's see what tomorrow's ratings shows.

11 minutes ago, nakatsubebe said:

@Matilda_Anne thank you for the live updates :) I only saw it halfway. I'm quite amused because our writer is throwing everything there now :lol: There is drama, murder, thriller, sex, action, comedy, and now there is also anime :lol: I wonder what's next...

shin sung rok literally kisses everyone in this drama.. the mother, yura, sunny, the first wife..

this drama should be called ‘the lusty emperor’ lol..

poor sunny she is so in love with the emperor. hope she will go on a rampage and kill him after she finds out what’s really going on in the palace hahaha

10 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

shin sung rok literally kisses everyone in this drama.. the mother, yura, sunny, the first wife..

this drama should be called ‘the lusty emperor’ lol..

poor sunny she is so in love with the emperor. hope she will go on a rampage and kill him after she finds out what’s really going on in the palace hahaha

LOL They always tease Choi Jin Hyuk to be the kiss master because of his previous drama. But that throne is taken away by Shin Sung rok now :lol: but in a lusty way. But in the olden days, emperors actually have a lot of concubines aside from their empress. It's more complicated for our emperor because he 'existed' in 2018.

It seems a lot of things have happened yet looking back, the main plot hasn't really happened yet and it's just starting. Now the grand empress dowager is in trouble and based on the abstract they gave us, we know she's gonna die and things will get messier from there. woah...it's already a mess from the start...

SSR must be having a lot of fun . Lol! This drama is really like those American soap operas ( combo of Dynasty with Desparate Housewives ) .I know in normal kdramas ( with exceptions of course ) only the OTP can kiss etc . But here all is possible. Ratings is likely to  be high :lol:

Eh why does she sing songs like from decades ago ? I think the emperor is slowyly but surely becoming smitten with her . See YR’s jealous face 

Spoiler

Not sure bout you all but I was actually expecting that they would consummate the marriage . YR went berserk 

Spoiler

Kiss master CJH has no kiss but pre upgrade NS got one - flashback . NS still really misses YR. wait till he finds out what kind of person she really is

Spoiler

Spoiler

NS goes back to see his mum’s shop & visit the kid. I feel so sad for the little boy :

Spoiler

CjH looks so cool in fight mode :wub:. Sparring session with the king. 

The problem is that Emperor has really only loved the previous empress . He keeps seeing her in place of Sunny 

He was so mad here because at the end of the day Sunny isn’t her ( the previous empress)

Spoiler

Woah what’s with this look on her face ? So is she finally realising the king does not really love her ? 

Just finished watching new episode and I must say, I really liked the inner conflict WS had after his revelations about YR. The scene were he couldn't bear to look at DS  and left him in the woods was very strong. Which made his character all the more believable with such natural reaction. I just love these complex emotions. Hands down to the screenwriter though I still a bit put off with the cartoonish inputs into the sparring scene (it was so out of place) almost ruined the whole scene which was quite beautifuly done from the point of view of fighting tecnique.

Why the heck they decided to add some anime effects? I'm afraid if it continues like this dorama would turn into a total mess being all over the place with mixing styles and such. There is a serious danger of turning a good drama into a parody which would be a total waste if it happens(((

But why do I have this sick feeling about WS planning to ruin everything that belongs to LH? Including Sunny as a collateral damage.:(

p.s. Did not expected LH and Sunny consummating their marriage. I almost expected him to continue successful avoiding  his beautiful wifey) Things are getting complicated.

5 minutes ago, juju84 said:

Just finished watching new episode and I must say, I really liked the inner conflict WS had after his revelations about YR. The scene were he couldn't bear to look at DS  and left him in the woods was very strong. Wich made his character all the more believable with such natural reaction. I just love these complex emotions. Hands down to the screenwriter though i still a bit put off with the cartoonish inputs into the sparing scene (it was so out of place) almost ruined the whole scene which was quite beautifuly done from the pooint of view of fighting tecnique. 

But why do I have this sick feeling about WS planning to ruin everything that belongs to LH? Including Sunny as a collateral damage.:(

p.s. Did not expected LH and Sunny  consummating their marriage. I almost expected him to continue successful avoiding  his beautiful wifey) Things are getting complicated.

I agree that things are getting very complicated. I am worried as well that WS is going to try and use Sunni as well for revenge...however, I think that this will backfire as he will come to love her as he gets to know her...so it may not last very long....hopefully.

I have been having a thought though that has been bothering me since the start of the show...with the mummy they found with the Empresses necklace. (think I spelled that right) I know many have wondered if it is Sunni or even the previous wife...but what if it is a decoy used by Sunni to escape the palace and then enact her revenge on the royal family? Also, wouldn't it allow her to go off and live with WS should they fall in love? 

Just a thought.

22 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

I agree that things are getting very complicated. I am worried as well that WS is going to try and use Sunni as well for revenge...however, I think that this will backfire as he will come to love her as he gets to know her...so it may not last very long....hopefully.

I have been having a thought though that has been bothering me since the start of the show...with the mummy they found with the Empresses necklace. (think I spelled that right) I know many have wondered if it is Sunni or even the previous wife...but what if it is a decoy used by Sunni to escape the palace and then enact her revenge on the royal family? Also, wouldn't it allow her to go off and live with WS should they fall in love? 

Just a thought.

That could be the case. Especially if Sunni wanted to buy herself some time outside the Palace to prepare the exposure of The Royal family.

Archived