[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

I think that an episode extension is not necessary and am becoming more increasingly irritated and bored by the nuanced villains that have more nine lives than the nuanced heroes. I know that this drama is supposed to be Makjang, however, I think that the writer is confused on her direction and has surpassed Makjang. Now the dead empress may not even be dead and is looking comatose in great condition. The chief is alive...Not riveting.

Let the dead stay dead! These spare of the moment shocks have worn beyond thin!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was pretty clear

In an alternate universe where Korea is under a constitutional monarchy, the heroine, Oh Sunny is an unknown actor who has been admiring the Emperor Lee Huyk for a long time. Her life changes when she accidentally saves his life. As the new Empress, she arrives the court with hope for the future. But the reality around her is never sunshine and rainbows. The Emperor, nation's most loved and respected figure, is corrupted. The court is also full of corruption and injustice. She allied with Cheon Woo-bin, who aims Lee Hyuk for his mother's revenge, and decides to stand up against the monarch. Even though she has the title, she is an average person with no political power. With Woo-bin's love and devotion and her will to fight, there might be a chance to break down the dark castle.

These things are not wrong from what I seen,nothing has change really we knew he was going to fall for her but all of this is too late now.

1 hour ago, Crystal Kim said:

I really don’t understand how the empress looks like she’s just sleeping unless she’s comatose and being kept alive by machines or something. Again, my pre-med brain cannot comprehend this craziness 

My thought is that she is actually dead, but well preserved. Could be due to whatever youth elixir that the ED seems to be obsessed with. I do know that it is possible to preserve a body so that it does not decompose... But it could be that SH was buried elsewhere because the body was switched as some time. The only question is that was it done by the former bodyguard? or was it done by ED to prevent the autopsy from revealing how she actually died? 

But what gets me is that she is wearing the necklace Suni has...could it be that Suni has a fake? Is there a secret message in the necklace?

Also, I do agree that LH is having a redeption arc...which is why he is becoming more interesting. However, he still has to pay for the crimes that he has done. Which I think he is starting to get an idea of since he is finding out that he was wrong about his first wife this whole time. But he still does not deserve SN in the end. Yes his character is interesting and it is fun watching him make a fool of himself, but in the end, he has done too many wrongs towards her and while he is nice to her now, he has shown that he is untrustworthy. For while he may like her now, but just as easily he can flip his switch and go to have her killed again. I mean he left his last lover to burn alive. What's to say that he won't do the same to SN should anything come up. Plus she is playing him now, he is not going to take that well in the end.

I do agree though that the relationship between WB-SN has not been as exciting, but I think a big reason is because technically they cannot be due to them being in the palace, and the question of being caught in their mission to destroy the monarchy. They can bee killed for their actions. So while LH can be vocal and outwardly expressive of his emotions (which is very entertaining) WB can't, so you have to pay really close attention to his signals that he is giving. But I think we will start seeing more of WB being jealous and showing more how much he cares as SN pretends to get cozy with LH.

26 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

edit: I forgot to add, if Soo Hyun is buried wearing her necklace, then who/what is in the urn? And, what is the secret of that necklace?

This! So i've skimmed through the subbed ep. And the final scene really put a twist to the Sohyun saga

N9QJlz.gif

What on earth happened back then?

I also think its safe to assume that it is not Sohyun's ashes in that urn..i wonder what/who is in it..huaaaa

14 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

For while he may like her now, but just as easily he can flip his switch and go to have her killed again. I mean he left his last lover to burn alive. What's to say that he won't do the same to SN should anything come up. Plus she is playing him now, he is not going to take that well in the end.

Exactly. LH doesn't take well to betrayal and that's the reason why SH is dead because he assumed she betrayed him. SN, on the other hand, is playing him for real and helping the man he wants dead. It's gonna get ugly later when WB's real identity gets revealed because...well what do you guys think LH's gonna do? I don't even wanna imagine what's gonna happen.

25 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

I also think its safe to assume that it is not Sohyun's ashes in that urn..i wonder what/who is in it..huaaaa

I'm just gonna assume that urn is empty. LH is probably gonna break the urn by dropping it by accident and see that it was empty all along. What I wanna know is what's the point of burying her instead of cremating her?

28 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I thought the scene during the "double date" where WB and SN are chatting while SJ and LH are arguing elsewhere is very telling. They are both obviously admiring each other's appearances. It's telling that it's such a simple intimate moment for them, even though they are technically with other partners.

And, then during the dancing... SN appeared a bit uncertain to see WB with SJ, and WB seemed a bit uncertain to see SN in LH's arms. When SN and WB were dancing together was the only moment when they really seemed to be enjoying the dancing.

The little speech that SN gave at the beginning of the episode where she reprimands WB for expressing such thoughts (him liking her) when she's still the nation's empress and the wife of the emperor, while it served to defuse the situation, was also pretty much the truth. She is not only a married woman, but she is the empress, the wife to the emperor. For SN and WB to express their feelings to each other is not just a simple extramarital affair even, it could put the monarchy into crisis. So, I actually appreciate that their trust and liking for each other is clearly developing but without overt exposition. I do think that SN and WB have been developed as an end game couple.

Still, given LH's popularity with the audience and his clear redemption, I don't entirely trust that the drama is not going to veer away in order to give LH a happy ending as well, and he's clearly in love with SN.

They are in way too deep for that most of the stuff still isnt even in the open he did too many terrible things to Sunny and people around him. If the show runners actually listen to fans alot we would have a major problem lol.

Oh another thing I forgot to mention they have  destroy Sunny's character and her convictions as well that wont work at all.She is doing this for her family and even WB and those who died.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Despite the (secretive) longing glances that SN and WB throw at each other, I wonder if the writer is setting them up now for SN to stay with LH after all, while WB settles down with SJ who has come to his rescue and has given him the Pretty Woman treatment. For WB, it would be a case of thinking that while SJ is a bit of a wild child, that she's sincere in having fallen in love with him. I do think that WB could feel some affection for SJ because she has been putting so much thought and effort into him. It's not love, but in the strange world of kdramas where even romances are driven by viewers' desires, it would be a way of settling WB without SN, and thus WB and SN would just remain dear friends rather than ever becoming lovers.

I thought this was possible for half a second until I remembered that So Jin is Lee Hyuk's sister. LH murdered WS's mom and put a bullet in his brain. WS has feelings for SN. That would result in a very awkward family dinner :sweatingbullets: WS married to SJ. LH married to SN. HR married to LY. LH and WS being bros even though WS/SN had a thing in the past and LH killed his mom and put a bullet in his brain. Not to mention the awkwardness between SN and WS. I know this show is crazy but... :joy:

59 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

Also, I do agree that LH is having a redeption arc...which is why he is becoming more interesting. However, he still has to pay for the crimes that he has done. Which I think he is starting to get an idea of since he is finding out that he was wrong about his first wife this whole time. But he still does not deserve SN in the end. Yes his character is interesting and it is fun watching him make a fool of himself, but in the end, he has done too many wrongs towards her and while he is nice to her now, he has shown that he is untrustworthy. For while he may like her now, but just as easily he can flip his switch and go to have her killed again. I mean he left his last lover to burn alive. What's to say that he won't do the same to SN should anything come up. Plus she is playing him now, he is not going to take that well in the end.

Yup, pretty much. LH will go ballistic when he finds out that Sunny and Wang Shik have been playing him all along. 

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

These things are not wrong from what I seen,nothing has change really we knew he was going to fall for her but all of this is too late now.

Yea, the official summary of the drama says that Sunny will find true love and happiness with Wang Shik. I don't think they'll change the story. 

Another thing, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen on Twitter the list of most buzz-worthy characters in South Korea (last week), and Lee Hyuk was below Wang Shik. The first 3 were from Sky Castle and Encounter. Sunny was number 4, Wang Shik number 6, and Lee Hyuk number 10. I don't think the Emperor is as popular as it seems.The netizens are just a small part of the viewers, after all. 

Hi, everyone! Been a lurker for a while but now I'd like to join the fun! :star:

I think come rain or shine, the writer will stick to what was originally written or wont deviate far from it. 

And...these are not the words of a character who will live till the end :heartbreak:

86PJ62.gif

(But i hope he does..gets punished..and then returns as a musical actor. Don't want Hyuk's golden voice go to waste hahahaha :lol:

Anyways, I'm reminded of The reply series 'who is the husband' saga. Haha. Chilbongie was well loved by viewers but the writer still made Najung marry Trash Oppa~ same as Jungpal vs Taek in reply 1988. Hohoho 

29 minutes ago, sw33tm3lody said:

Another thing, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen on Twitter the list of most buzz-worthy characters in South Korea (last week), and Lee Hyuk was below Wang Shik. The first 3 were from Sky Castle and Encounter. Sunny was number 4, Wang Shik number 6, and Lee Hyuk number 10. I don't think the Emperor is as popular as it seems.The netizens are just a small part of the viewers, after all. 

WB's pics on TLE's page on SBS website are viewed more than Hyuk's too. Thats why i think as much as Hyuk is a popular character, Woobin is as popular or even more so and i also think CJH has a bigger fanbase~ 

Another awesome episode!! :D The one person I enjoyed so much watching in this episode is the ED... Pay attention at her various facial expression this episode, so entertaining. SEK is such a great actress. The others as well. I enjoyed watching all the development of our characters. Not gonna lie that I am glad to see MYR coming back into the equation. It's so fun to see the dynamics of the power struggle. The villains keep changing partners, but our heroes are consistent with theirs. Pretty easy to see who will lose in the end.

Had a lot of laughs and grins as well from last night's episodes.... especially the double date part...  CWB is so funny trying to hush Sojin while at the boutique. Look at all his discomfort having Sojin all over him, while at the mall or at the restaurant in front of LH and Sunny. How to ship WB and Sojin?:huh:? Then when WB and Sunny are left alone by the siblings, come on Sunny, admit it, he looks just as dashing as usual, just a change of suit color from all black to all white :D  And who do you guys think started to lead the dance away from Sojin when Sunny fell between them? My call is Sunny ;)

I cried when LH was mourning for SH. He really did love her but too weak to stand by her side against ED's lies. I hope we'll see him truly defending and protecting Sunny till the very end, even after discovering that she doesn't love him anymore. I like his resolution when he was watching Sunny and Ari hugging. I thought that was sincere. Yes, I still want to see LH redeemed as a person. When he was in KJS's cell, I kept screaming inside, look at the wall! look at the wall!! but he didn't... <_<

I've been quite busy that I haven't been posting much on the thread. One great drama has ended this week for me, and another one will soon end this week too. I might not be starting another new one soon as my three weeks ahead will be rather packed with irregular schedule that I don't know if I can keep up with new episodes or not... I will still peek into soompi threads for sure (Thanks to those who keep updating us with clips and screencaps!) But having said that, honestly I am soooo tempted to start watching SKY Castle before it ends, because it's usually harder for me to start watching a drama that ended its run.

Anyway, with the 2 hours extension, I hope we can see a proper wrap up of the fall of the monarchy and a happy-smiley NWS once again at the end. I'm glad that the finale is not happening while I'm busy, hopefully can live stream with you guys during the finale week.

Hyuk happy because he think that Sunny doesn't have a feelin' to Woo Bin, and easily forgive Woo Bin.

Sunny know how to protect Woo Bin from Hyuk's anger. Something clearly shown between both Sunny and Woo Bin heart, wanna protect each other. And also tell about their true feelin', Woo Bin worried if Hyuk really in love and attach to her, then Sunny said that her heart never fall for someone like him anymore. #hidden message : Woo Bin jealous if Sunny being to intimate with Hyuk, and Sunny make Woo Bin not to worries in her feeling toward Hyuk. 

That's truly a part of acting, Sunny give the second chance to Hyuk. When they meet in the restaurant, how cute Sunny and Woo Bin act, show their jealousy secretly and i can feel that their heart explode to more deeper feeling toward each other, Hyuk and So Jin just like an advertisement in this moment, so LoL with this scene. 

Seo Kang Hee : she have too many card to be played. She can clearly see that something happen with Sunny and Woo Bin. Woo Bin act easily read by her. 

Min Yu Ra : she come back. I think she is really lost. I don't feel that she want to find her ex-fiance or something like revenge to the imperial. She might be down when knowing his ex-fiance still alive and treated badly by ED, except she deeply unhearted. #just disbelieve that people can be so wrong without reason.

Chief Jo : He hate Woo Bin so much. And now, MYR and ED in his side. Secretly before Woo Bin in ED side. Does he tell to ED about Woo Bin? There is a small fire because Woo Bin take Hyuk order to sent ED's assistance to dungeon. 

Next Episode 

- Woo Bin in danger! Dong Shik tell that he know Woo Bin (i wish i misunderstand about next ep preview). The female servant absolutly is MYR, who bring Dong Shik to the Palace. 

How to get out from this situation, who's that will help him?? 

1. Hyuk

2. ED

3. Sunny

4. So Jin

5. Byun

6. Yoon

7. Dong Shik already get some information and learn how to act in this situation. 

This drama really makes me pity Lee Hyuk as a character. He is a villain yet he doesn't have any control over the story. I mean he is just a doll for everyone. He trust someone because he thinks they are sincerely loyal to him, and love him. Yet it wasn't the case, his mother betrayed him, his father abused him. He trust Woo Bin yet Woo Bin only want to take revenge on him. No one ever really act for his well being. Except his wife, So Hyun. (and yes this is all because of his wrongdoings, no one arguing he doesn't do anything bad. He is at fault!)

Now, as he is showing his trust and loyalty to Sunny, Sunny already mad and hate him to death. There would be no chance that Sunny forgive him ( as she directly declared  in this episode that she will manipulate Hyuk affection towards her for paying all his sins and punish him and ED).

This will only lead to another betrayal for Hyuk. As a villanous character, I never pity someone as much as him. He supposed to play on others life, yet actually his life is just a play for others as well.

I think, this is what makes Hyuk as a villanous character different. Eventually leads the netizen to emphatize with him. Because actually, he failed at being an adult and knowing whom to trust. He isn't the real villainous character that control the story. He is just a doll. 

He may take on redemption in the end of the story, realized how much in vain all his life has been. Or, when he realized that sunny never really like him, and being manipulated he could just burst  and backstabbing her. 

Either way, this what makes he character interesting and so much complexity. While others stand in their firm point, hyuk is a doll played all along. 

By the way, I doubt Lee Hyuk has changed. When WB confessed he liked SN, his monster expression came out again and tried to slap WB but the empress knew this gonna happen so she protected him by slapping him before LH. 

By rejecting the divorce, it is clear he's not in love SN but just being possesive and obsession. He was really in love with his late wife but he still can choke her, saying their unborn baby was't his and killed her. 

On the hand, I also doubt Sunny ever loved the emperor. When she was crying in front of WB, she said she cried not because her hubby n yura are cheating but more feeling humilitation to her pride. 

It is unfortunate we can't see WB's character development. He was temperament and careless but suddenly turn to strategic person with gloomy side. It will be good if the writer can give his personality back.

I never pity and feel symphaty for the emperor even he's being cute. Why? Because he never had intention to let people surrounds him happy. And after he found out SH's bodyguard is not doing wrong, he can't even let him go. If we say he rendeem his wrong doing, what actually he already did to prove that? Nothing. He just apologize to Sunny but he still reject to divorce her while he knows his mother can kill her in that palace anytime. The only way to protect SN actually give her free life not pushing her to be with him. For me, LH is the worst character all of the villain. Because he doesn't want to take responsibilty. Instead, his mother handled all the negative things he has done and still we blame it fully to ED. 

It is not easy for a person to change. But at least he is on the way there. Again, I refer to his quiet resolution to protect Sunny which I think is sincere. He was thinking to himself and not a show for anyone else to see. He really wanted to protect Sunny... whether or not he can see it through, that's another story. 

Love is sometimes selfish, we want the person to be with us, thinking that is the best way for that person. Thinking that only we can love that person the best. Only very mature and wise person can let go of the person they love. In the world, it's going to be very hard to find such person. Much less expect it from someone like LH :sweatingbullets: He can't even say the word "sorry" properly... Like when we are receiving gifts from other people, it doesn't matter what they give, "it's the thought that counts".... That's how I see it with LH...

By the way, I get the idea that Hyuk is comedic. But I am strongly against him with Sunny! There is no way their relationship could go better. Hyuk can take redemption, but that doesn't mean being with Sunny. Tolerating this, means tolerating abusive relationship. 

22 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

It is not easy for a person to change. But at least he is on the way there. Again, I refer to his quiet resolution to protect Sunny which I think is sincere. He was thinking to himself and not a show for anyone else to see. He really wanted to protect Sunny... whether or not he can see it through, that's another story. 

Love is sometimes selfish, we want the person to be with us, thinking that is the best way for that person. Thinking that only we can love that person the best. Only very mature and wise person can let go of the person they love. In the world, it's going to be very hard to find such person. Much less expect it from someone like LH :sweatingbullets: He can't even say the word "sorry" properly... Like when we are receiving gifts from other people, it doesn't matter what they give, "it's the thought that counts".... That's how I see it with LH...

This! I'm just glad Hyuk is showing signs of change. He has protected Sunny quietly a few times now. He may still be possessive but that is how he was brought up and i think that will slowly change too. I'm also happy that the writer did not make Hyuk change completely, his growth is gradual and we see he is sometimes nice and sometimes he reverts to his old self. Change is never easy.

I don't mind with who Sunny ends up with. I'm in this for Hyuk's growth arc.

I'm preparing myself for heartbreak in the 2nd half of TLE. Hyuk is my soft spot. And i feel like he'll be wrenching my heart out if he turns good or if he turns completely bad. I'll go down with Hyuk! Fighting Hyuk! Keep being on the right track as long as you possibly can, hopefully forever~ huhuhu

Ykb1543989536996-600.jpg

31 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

For me, LH is the worst character all of the villain. Because he doesn't want to take responsibilty. Instead, his mother handled all the negative things he has done and still we blame it fully to ED. 

If this is related to Sohyun's case: mummy dearest was the one who offered to cover it up. Hyuk being the lamb that he is just followed her. Neither were right in this situation. But theres more to this case that we have yet to see.

If this is related to Sunny - Ari's case : i thought what Hyuk did was right. Because Evil Mum was the one who initiated this case. He couldnt do anything during the first round because he had no evidence, but once he got something to leverage on, he used that to coerce his mum to rectify what she started.

Archived