[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoon Jong-hoon (‘Return’) is going to make a special appearance in EP1.  Maybe PD Chu Dong Min who directed ‘Return’, asked him to appear in TLE.   

11QmzNJ.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20181116084155531

Yoon Da-hoon as Sunny dad, Oh Geum Mo who once dreamt of being a rock star but now works at the chicken restaurant

EJ7Kr3i.jpg

http://star.mk.co.kr/new/view.php?mc=ST&year=2018&no=712940

@gm4queen     haha   Yeah CJH is going to look mature/aged with his hair combed up.  His face is sensitive with a camera angle so his photo images are varied. :)

cjh does look different

he looks more rugged and edgy

then again it suited this drama since obviously this is not a fluffy preppy drama

and if he was all about revenge and revenge and oh yeah revenge

he sure nailed the look, most probably because of the hair and also the lack of smile

though in the earlier pics of him being delivery boy

he still has that adorable look too

hahaha

was browsing my cable tv schedule last nite and lo and behold the last empress popped up

yay finally hahaha, weird since i already know that it will be aired

but seeing it in the time slot makes it more real i guess

of course i'm gonna record it on my pvr

it will be a day later but better than nothing hihihi

@gm4queen   @chubby^green^

The article says TLE is about a story of conspiracy and secret strife, love and desire, and revenge happening in the imperial family.  Well this description sounds like TLE is more of a conventional type of melo drama.   It means there will be betrayal, back stabbing, and torment etc… :o
 Btw another article says CJH will do a lot of action scenes since NWS is a bodyguard. So whenever there is an action scene, he goes to the action school and practices the sequence as any action scene is choreographed.  If CJH is able to do an action scene, I have to assume his knee has recovered enough to do such activity?  If it’s true I will be very happy for him because I know he always wanted to do such scenes.  

About CJH’s changed look, I was a bit shocked at first but  as @chubby^green^  said, his new look fits well with NWS.  I agree.   I’m happy he looks totally different from the last character he played (GMS in DJ)     In truth I still can’t walk away from OTP in that drama. sob  It would be heartbreaking if I have to see CJH appear in TLE with a similar appearance.
Yeah me too  I can watch TLE in Viki thank god    His last drama was in DF only and it went off air one week before the drama ended. So I had to watch it in bad audio IG clips.  Such mess  lol  :wacko::)

44hmiWl.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20181115134253863

HcLMDiE.gif

cr to DC

Thank you so much dear @booha for the detailed update...!!

Yes.. We can assume that this series will be a combination of all the genres possible in the K-dramaland...!! Yet, I am so hated the paranormal stuff.. :o But with Oh Sunny & Na Wang Sik, I think I'll be alright...!! :wub:

Choi Jin Hyuk is definitely not the same one I am used to.... He's so fit for the bodyguard role & I appreciate his hard work..... I also hope his knee should be in a better status that he's to do a lot of stunts....! Waiting for his actions.... :)

Well, there are only 4 days for the press conference..!! :wub: And Jang Na Ra, Choi Jin Hyuk & Shin Sung Rok.... Please give us an entertaining press conference, guys!!!!! I am fed up of boring press conferences lately....:sweatingbullets:

Eagerly looking forward....!!!!!!

Nara IG update based on some previous stills... 

I forgotten about the height difference of these 2 :wub:

A making video which Im not sure if it's been posted

https://m.tv.naver.com/v/4537621

or in IG: 

Spoiler

SBS has posted character profiles of our mains. Can I count on you @booha for some translations please? 

2f12d269c6088a478143210520999bb4.png

fe87979f29ea55a5aeaa767357bf72ac.png

a4e6671d9b2c6b8f32b4e8fa6682dbc9.png

see more - https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/thelastempress/cast/56864

gosh look how cool nws is protecting his lil empress :phew:

and there's people wondering how can sunny be falling for him while still married to the emperor?

aish

hahaha

watching hello monster atm, just because i want to watch something from jang nara

hoping that oh sunny would have some spunk maybe a lil spunk like cha ji an

i am almost giving up on poster now

ah well

those bts pics are almost as amazing for me

and also the drawing of lee hyuk posted by ssr ig is looking wow

i wish i have that kind of skill to draw something

i wish or hope that someone would draw the wedding scene

i seriously like that scene so much

12 hours ago, booha said:

The article says TLE is about a story of conspiracy and secret strife, love and desire, and revenge happening in the imperial family.  Well this description sounds like TLE is more of a conventional type of melo drama.   It means there will be betrayal, back stabbing, and torment etc… :o

all of that just spell heartache for me

lots of heartaches and also most probably lots of why? being asked 

hahaha

pretty sure about more than half of the ep will be about the villains keep on winning

and hopefully the good guys get the last laugh at the end (but pls let them be happy for more than one last ep)

and since sunny is the most naive of them all, from the preview and synopsis we are reading, it does seem like she is the one being thrown in the chaos without any knowledge at all

'sacrificial lamb'

she would most probably suffered the most

especially in the first few eps in the beginning

also glad to hear that cjh's knee is getting better and that he should be good enough to do action scenes

just praying now that he would be taking extra careful and wouldn't get injured again

btw @booha i saw cjh look in dj, he seriously looks preppy in that drama (i didnt watch the drama though)

more preppy than what i saw him in fated to love you way back then hahaha

so him there and him in tle, seriously a stark different

:)

Thank you @Kasmic

**translated Sunny & NWS so far. Hopefully they aren’t too far off. 

TLE character description

Oh Sunny (Jang Na Ra)

Oh Sunny (30)  

Empress of Empire of Korea / musical actress
She had a longing for the emperor Lee Hyuk since from high school! The emperor believer! The emperor maniac!
After living as an obscure musical actress, then overnight she becomes an empress, national Cinderella!

Spoiler

Parents named her “Oh! Sunny” because they wanted her to live a full life freely on a global scale,
but in the actual reality ... she is a professional substitute actress whom directors want to avoid, and she is in charge of various odd jobs in theater companies.
But she likes so much just to dance, sing and act on stage, that she wishes to be on the stage till the end of her life, so she perseveres doggedly with a fighting spirit!

In high school, emperor Lee Hyeok told her to meet again when she became a famous actress which boosted her spirit.  
Then, 12 years later, she meets Lee Hyuk again, on the day when she gets on the stage for her first lead part,  and she gets a proposal from Lee Hyuk.
Overnight she becomes Cinderella and enters in splendidly as the empress of Korean Empire,
but its magic dissipates quickly. He has another woman already. 

It’s like a hard hit on the back of her head.  Even before the shock dissipates,  the grand empress dowager who is the only Sunny side dies suspiciously.
Sunny confronts the absolute power of the imperial family in order to reveal the truth about the death of the grand empress dowager.  

((** Bichwi-do, place?)) ( also bichwi is jade)

Na Wang Sik (Choi Jin Hyuk)
Na Wang Sik ( Chun Woo Bin ) (31) 

Imperial guard   
It's hard for him to start, but once he gives his heart, he couldn’t see nor hear, and heads in straightforward.

Spoiler

He is a Bichw(Jade)-do hoodlum punk whose talk is swearing half the time, and who is prone to swing with his fist rather than talk.    He is huge with 140kg, but he is known for his sleek body movements and hot fists, and is famous for his innate fighting temperament.   Large organizations try to enlist him with a large sum but he refuses and lives in Bichwi(Jade)-do.

It's all because of his mom!
The mother didn’t want to see her son becoming like her husband who is a hoodlum, so she threw away all the money which Wang Six earned and gave to her. At the end Wang Sik was defeated by her firm determination.
It's his dream to live happily in Bichwi(Jade)-do with mom and Dong Sik and Yu Ra. Then one night the mom is hit by hit-run and is found in terrible shape.

It's  the emperor of Korean Empire, Lee Hyuk who hits his mother and runs away.
To kill the emperor, he carries on with an intense diet regiment to give himself a new look.
With the name of Chun Woo Bin, he applies and passes for the imperial guard position.
Finally, he succeeds in infiltrating the emperor, and finds Yu Ra sleeping in his arms.
In order to punish these two, Lee Hyuk and Min Yu Ra, he begins to take revenge.

Lee Hyuk (Shin Sung Rock)

Lee Hyuk(30)

Emperor of Korean Empire

Emperor of Korean Empire.  Absolute power.
A charismatic man who is loved by the people.  Devilishly addictive man

Spoiler

He boasts of a good-looking appearance and brilliant rhetoric, but the inside is stained with rot and corruption,
Being a pathological playboy, he sleeps with a different woman every night
But to the public,  he is known as a romanticist who misses his dead empress.

While looking for Bichwi-do,  he gets tempted by Min Yu Ra and spends a passionate time with her.
Driving while intoxicated, he hits WS’s mother who appeares suddenly and he runs away.  
 For the alibi that he wasn’t  at the crime scene, he goes into a small theater pretending to be Sunny's fan.
The photo of them is taken and published which becomes the dating rumor with Sunny.

He intends to use Oh Sunny and then drop her off, but eventually he gets married to her.

It doesn’t matter. It is marriage only by necessity, without affection. Then, one day ...
he begins to feel for Sunny and starts to feel for her as a woman.
Though he loves Sunny truly, he torments her because she is not easily taken in
He expresses his love in a more obsessive and distorted way.

Min Yur Ra ( Elijah)
Min Yura (29)

Emperor’s  secretary team leader

With a glamorous look and talented ability, she comes through a fierce competition and makes entry into the  palace     Emperor’s  competent secretary team leader and Lee Hyuk’s hidden woman

Spoiler

She has the ability to think quickly to find solutions in crisis situations.
She is also knowledgeable in various fields and boast of sincerity and perfection at anytime and anywhere.

When she was a child, she lost her parents, and Wang Six’s mother, who lived in the same neighborhood, raised her as her child.
She grew up with Wang Six like a brother and sister, and developed into a lover with a persistent courtship by Wang Six.  
But when Wang Six talks about the wedding, her mind flashes out.
She thinks that she didn’t live hard just to be the wife of a good-for-nothing ...
She studies hard and gets through the secretary team, and takes over the leader position in the secretary team.  

At last, she is able to tempt Lee Hyuk in Bichwi-do , but she gets caught by WS’s mom
She goes after Wang Six’s mom because she says she is going to tell Wang Six everything. They scuffle  and have an accident.   
But she is able to fix the accident and gets the trust of Lee Hyuk, and becomes Lee Hyuk’s woman.    
She believes that the vacant empress is of course her own.  When Sunny gets empress’s place,   she hates Sunny and tries hard to depose her…

Empress Dowager  Kang ssi (Shin Eun Kyung) 

Empress Dowager  Kang ssi(50s)   
Empress Dowager of Korean Empire

An affectionate, but strict mother to Lee Hyuk. To Sunny, she is a ferocious mother-in-law.
A queen bee who is not afraid of the world enough to be called "a sword woman" in the palace!

Spoiler

She is the daughter of a prominent chaebol in Korean Empire, and she holds the real power for the imperial family.
She overcomes the strict palace life and married life  with obsession and ambition for her children.
Especially, the affection for Lee Hyuk is morbid.
Seven years ago, after empress So Hyeon died, and the crown prince’s brother Lee Yun was gone,  her obsession got worse.  

In order to separate Min Yu Ra from Lee Hyuk, thinking Sunny would be easy to control, she presses for the empress’s place for Sunny.  She thinks it is best to have a scarecrow empress since Lee Hyuk never seems to love Sunny.     

After the death of the grand empress dowager, she grabs the ultimate power of imperial family authority.  
And gradually she begins to reveal her ambitions and desires that have been concealed.
She is a misfortunate woman who has become a monster while being trapped in the palace a lifetime.

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/thelastempress/cast/56864

from Drama general manager

^

wow the description of the characters seems to be more tangled in seriously crazy knots then i initially believe

so it was yura that nws or cwb was in love with in the first place

so she started as innocent maybe then becoming ugly evil as time goes by?

and for sunny, cant believe my prediction of her was rite,

she was disillusioned with the thought of the great emperor and that she was in love with him 

now it seems like she was merely infatuated with him only

silly young girl crush maybe

no wonder she was easily agreed to the marriage

the mystery now is why she was chosen as the wife of lee hyuk?

of all people why her?

i thought that it is most probably because of the grand empress dowager but there can be others isnt it?

or maybe because of her infatuation with him aka lee hyuk that makes her an easy target?

there will be more secrets and revelations i believe

wonder how much i can stomach it before i blow up?

hahaha

OMG!  lot is going on the emperior palace :o Thank you so much @booha for the eng sub... I read them all.!

And what a twist..?! Lee Hyuk is married to Oh Sunny but he has another woman besides him.. And Oh Sunny is so helpless that she's like a hostage under the shadow of Lee Hyuk....!!!!! OH God.! He's a real villain this time :o

And Na Wang Sik is 140kg..??!!! :o:o:o:o OMO! I am shocked! And his mother was hit by Lee Hyuk & his other woman is the master mind behind the accident!! Now, I can imagine the reason for the tough look of Choi Jin Hyuk..! OMG, this is gonna be a revenge drama rather than been a historical one..... This is indeed the drama of the century!

And I am all OK with horror, thriller & mystery parts. But I am not at all OK with paranormal mummy parts. And wait a minute...WHAT..????? "He is known as a romanticist who misses his dead empress" :oDoes that mean the mummy is his ex-wife or his mom or someone..?!! :crazy: OH GOD again..!!....

Only 3 days till the press conference on Tuesday...!

1 hour ago, AlexandraReid said:

so is this means choi jinhyuk gonna be main lead? as i seen his role beside jang nara after SSR (in naver)

can anyone enlighten me? thanks!

Well one can say JNR and CJH are the leads, or JNR and CJH and SSR are too    haha  :)

observation point  =>  trio of J.C.S.   :blush:

wah i finally read all the descriptions posted by @booha thank you so much... :blush:

and now all are clear to me

lor even before the story start

dunno if its good or not :sweatingbullets:

i dont mind though

i love spoiler

hahaha

but at least now we know why both of them got married, it's all started with misunderstanding, just to hide an accident and scandal

all because of that, sunny was thrown into the chaos and turmoil

though i do believe now that na wang shik might will hate sunny in the beginning because i believe that he believes sunny was part of the scheme of being an alibi to lee hyuk for the accident,

or maybe he thinks sunny know about the accident and just pretend that she doesnt know,

and the price she gets is becoming lee hyuk's wife,

or or or

hahaha

he thinks that sunny was with lee hyuk that night instead of min yura

who actually cause the accident of nws's mom (gawd my brain is running 100 miles in all directions now)

min yura is most probably rotten from the core but at the same time she maybe actually do loves lee hyuk, just that her greed exceeded her love

lee hyuk might actually be that some sort of lonesome wolf who is pitiable even though with his royal blood and prestige though i'm still not sure whether he is redeemable

he did end up fallen for sunny

though that time it might already be too late

and what he did after fallen for her is just plain bad still

the grand empress might seems to be supporting sunny

but she also has her own reason for wanting sunny to marry lee hyuk

and also the mystery of the dead empress aka lee hyuk's first wife

what happen to her?

hahahah

i'm not crazy, okay maybe a lil just a lil...

but i tend to dwell (lets just pretend that i'm passionate about this drama) too much on things that i like

and this is obviously gonna be my next obsession

sorry guys

:grimace:

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격 - Wed & Thu @ 22:00 KST - Premieres on November 21st

Actress Shin Eun-Kyung as Empress Dowager Kang~~~~ Such a villain look on her face... 

46494679_2093538004291068_38796955796887

And yes @chubby^green^ - I am also curious over the mummy stuff now... It's obvious that the mummy is Lee Hyuk's ex-wife.! But what caused her to die..?! Some sort of a disease or a murder..?! Or am I missing something here... I hope we have no other leads about the mummy yet.. :o And now that Oh Sunny's wearing the ex-wife's necklace, could she get cursed by it??!.. And my most suspicious fact is, how can his ex-wife turns in to a mummy.?! Mummies are believed to be preserved long ago by being rubbed with special oils and wrapped in cloth. ..!! So, what's the theory here..?! I am excited...

**Okay we now have the character description for other the supporting cast too.  Will try to work on them

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/thelastempress/cast/56864

@gm4queen  @chubby^green^

I’m glad to see the char description stirred  up your fertile imagination.  Just reading yours made me very excited about this drama. Yes indeed  a lot of palace intrigue here :sweatingbullets::lol:   The writer definitely knows how to build up a story line with all these  rich details about the characters.   It’s clear that there will be some villains we are going to hate a lot.  Yeah unfortunately  Lee Hyuk seems to be one of them. But hopefully he will be a misunderstood king.      The writer gave him with this tag ‘pathological playboy’.    I know the translation sounds a bit bizarre. But it says LH  sleeps with a different woman every night. :wacko:   

Maybe there is a reason for his behavior? Under LH’s first wife (who appeared on the char description. Could it be she will show up in a flashback scene?); LH really loved her.   So maybe it was her death which caused LH to act like that? Maybe he was different before?  
The granny empress is going to get killed because she tries to correct things that happened in the palace including the death of LH’s first wife. It means the first wife’s death isn’t from natural causes? 
About MYR, it doesn’t seem she is bad at the beginning. Maybe she got into a relationship with WS because she felt obligated for his family? She is supposed to be  very smart and pretty, and a hard worker with a big ambition for her life. So I don’t blame her if she dumps WS who is just ordinary  and doesn’t have much going for himself.  But when her ambition meets a target, meeting LH, she may change to become bad. 

The reason LH’s mother tries to marry her son with Sunny is that she wants to break up  MYR from LH.  

Gosh you are right there is so much stuff intertwined with all these characters.B)

**Wow Gong Yu & Han Ji Min  sent the coffee truck for SRR saying ‘stop working’  haha Yes SRR is a workaholic.

Spoiler

Archived