Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018-2019] Less than Evil/ Bad Detective 나쁜 형사

22 minutes ago, lovehbhjw2013 said:

That's right!!!  A taste of my own medicine!   :w00t:  Make sure I get it twice the dosage!!!  :lol:  That incites further the killing instinct in me(JHM-femelle)!   loll   [Gosh!  It sounds so bad, right?]

Nah, it’s never bad to be bad. Everyone has a little psychopath in them. It’s just waiting for the right time to come out. I want them dead still. Btw. Hahahaha

• LOL 2

12 hours ago, sushilicious said:

I thinking he is related to JHM in a certain extend, like. If you help me do something, I will help you back. I think the corrupted cop wants the limelight, so rather then killing such a big serial killer, why not let him run and then tries to capture him again and thus getting more limelight (Even If it means killing more innocent lives) and plus killing JHM under police custody might ruin his career. People are going to say like “Wow under police custody and still get killed? What type of police are they? So weak!”

I just really want to see WTS being more ruthless against that two evil dudes. So that it would be fun to watch. I Don’t want to see WTS getting hurt, I WANT to see WTS giving pain and desperation to those evil dudes. #satisfaction   

I want them to get a taste taste of their own medicine...Hehehehe.

IDK i feel he is more in saving his own skin than limelight though - i dont think he is there to climb the ladders so to speak. Isn't it actually worse losing a serial killer while in custody vs killing a serial killer who's trying to escape?

But JHM is one of the faces of the poster so i guess hes not gonna die till the end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, philosophie said:
  Hide contents

What a twist, guess he isn’t as much of a righteous officer as I thought he was.

Henceforth the title ‘Bad Detective’ ehh.

Honestly I think they would focus heavily on him and ESJ. 

Spoiler

I can’t control my smile. JHM IS DEAD.

2610e890aa3b25b15415caca9b2bd9e8d2aac471

• LOL 2

@mrsj3n Are you celebrating Christmas?

Haha. Was kinda waiting for you to watch Priest and LTE. I want to know what you think hahaha. 

Random thoughts: LTE acronym strangely looks like America brand phone line company. WTS...sounds like What The Dong haha.(That’s how I remembered his acronym)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

It's a fascinating adaptation to be sure. Normally office politics sees the protagonist(s) demoted or ostracized but here, we have a cop who really wants to throw it in and the higher-ups decide to turn him into a hero and if that wasn't enough, they promote him. Expediency works both ways. Heh. Delicious irony especially when he's trying to save his marriage and get out of the game. SHK, as expected, does a good job of portraying the lead role as a world-weary detective who has a love-hate relationship with his job but is rather too good at it. A victim of his own success perhaps. I thought that in the first couple of episodes that he came across more of a Dirty Harry type cop rather than the profiling psychologist I remember Luther to be. I don't doubt that it's to establish on some level that he's one to straddle between the dark and the light.

Not a bad start... the first two episodes... A pity that the teeth-pulling serial killer survived the fall. The coma probably means that they'll bring him back. I imagine the young reporter lass is the Alice Morgan counterpart. Not really feeling her yet to be honest... but I'm not writing her off just now. Ruth Wilson was always going to be a hard act to follow so yeah... very big shoes to fill. 

Pleasantly surprised to see Park Ho San the fourth time this year... The Baeksang sure is taking him places. ;) A jolly good year for him.

• Like 5

On 12/17/2018 at 2:52 AM, larus said:

About Eun Sun Jae... Is she really Bae Yeo Wool? They had a genetic test to prove that she is but I still wonder. We found out that she had a plastic surgery (of course:rolleyes:) because of her severe wounds and even a hemispherectomy. They have explained the personality diferences because of that brain surgery? I read about this surgery and it seams that studies have found no significant long-term effects on personality. Why Eun Sun jae is so different from Bae Yeo Wool? She took the identity of Yeo wool? Did she fake the DNA test? Questions....

She mentioned to JHM that she lost "half" of her at the hospital I think.

Not sure that "half" refers to memories or the part of her that has feelings.

@sushilicious Hahaha... been away hence limited access to internet / Wi-Fi.

Just finished catching up on The Priest. I'll try to catch up on LTE tonight if not tomorrow and let you know how I feel about it.

Frankly, I'm still in holiday mood.  :lol:

6 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

She mentioned to JHM that she lost "half" of her at the hospital I think.

Not sure that "half" refers to memories or the part of her that has feelings.

Yes but that can`t explain her phychopatic behavior. I would have prefered a better explanation, a proper backgroud for Eun Sun Jae. But we could find out more in the future episodes. Maybe things aren't what they seem.

• Like 1

after this weeks episodes. We know know how soo ah died and Yeo wool and WTS little sister being witnesses.  Now everything makes so much more sense to me. 

And I so believe that Hyun min is still alive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joccu said:

after this weeks episodes. We know know how soo ah died and Yeo wool and WTS little sister being witnesses.  Now everything makes so much more sense to me. 

Maybe like those face off type haha. Plastic surgery is a normal thing in Korea...who knows he might come back as someone else :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joccu said:

I agree with you and want to see how writers bring him back.<_<

It is very unlikely but maybe ESJ saves him and had him imprisoned.:naughty:

Later she nicely chops him Hannibal style. I would love to see that.:love: 

Also, check out the recap of episode 9-12: https://www.asiandrama4u.com/less-than-evil-episode-09-12-recap/

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I like the title Less than Evil because the show does a fine job of making a study of evil in the context of a police drama. More than about the "bad detective", the show has things it wants to say about the roots of evil and how it becomes systematized. I don't know if I necessarily agree with everything it says about evil... human beings certainly aren't blank slates at birth... but at least it explores these issues in an engaging way.

Park Ho San's character is such a right royal scumbag that on the spectrum of evil that we've been presented, it's tempting to position him right of JHM on the scale. In a show populated by psychopaths and unconscionable characters, he seems scarcely better than the nutjobs he's been hired to catch. The only difference is that the badge gives him the license to kill and to literally get away with murder. He had no qualms to speak of letting JHM escape just so he can cover his rear end. It was always going to end in tears but apparently it's okay as long as he can elude responsibility for the Soo family disaster. :blink:

It's increasingly obvious that police corruption is the biggest problem. Sure the system is predictably flawed like everything man-made but when the flaws becomes politicized and perpetuated it compounds the issues.  I suppose the moral of this tale is that monsters are made... due to the usual things like family dysfunction and miscarriage of justice. Only a man who is willing to stand outside the system to be the "bad detective" can right the wrongs. But not always. At times for him it is about mitigating circumstances.

I can't say for certain if this adaptation will reach the dizzy heights of Life on Mars, which was honestly one of the year's best and one of the best K dramas ever made. As an adaptation it was second to none. I don't have particular high expectations for LTE although it's doing a good job overall of adapting the source material for its local context. But there are some things about this drama that I like more than the original Luther already. I never really enjoyed Luther's tumultuous relationship with his ex, Zoe and her new man, Mark. It always took me right out of the show with it's soap opera elements. When she got the flick, I was more relieved than upset. Here, however, I appreciated how they handled the back and forth between them. It was lowkey, less OTT  and the character more likeable. I felt the tragedy of WTS losing her much more acutely.

I can't help feeling that WTS' life is something of a tragi-comedy. There's a part of him that craves normality but he's not built for normality. He really is just too good at his job... he can't help himself being drawn into the darkness and wanting to save people. He tends to make promises he probably shouldn't especially because of the unpredictability of his situation and the kinds of situations he stumbles into. I don't think he is as much a victim of his circumstances as he thinks. He does make choices to act in certain ways but his gifts and abilities does pull him into whirlpools not always of his own making. Aside from that, he is driven to right wrongs in part, I imagine, because his colleagues are so incompetent and/or untrustworthy. As a result he is a loner. But perhaps not for long... he has his own Alice waiting in the wings.

• Like 2

@sushilicious watching first 15 mins of the drama.....

I'm boiling with anger!!!!

Aargh!!!

Die Captain Jeon!

Die!!!!!!!:angry:

Edit to add on my comments after watching the latest 2 episodes:

OMG-Katy-perry-califonia-dreams.gif

While I feel sad on the passing of WTS's wife.... and I cried along with him when he cried briefly...

Can I say how MAN he was????

And when he lit the lighter..

When he was looking at the masked killer....

And the way he is styled as a detective....

200w.gif

OK. Back to seriousness. 

Like what @joccu had pointed out.. it really does make sense now.

WTS "sarcrificed" BYW in order to protect his little sister.

That explained his guilt and his obsession in BYW as well.

BYW/ESJ - The return of BYW as ESJ...

That girl is giving me the creeps as a psychopath that is either friend or foe for WTS.

How on earth is she able to "carry" WTS to safety is beyond me....

But I can't really forgive her for reviving JHM at the first place and putting WTS through this agony. 

JHM - Is he really dead?

Even the forensic lady wanted to pursue the matter as much as we audience want to! 

I just hope that he won't return as I really don't want to see him again.

Captain Jeon - OMG... can he just get shoot in his line of duty and die and go away??

I can't believe he can act as a villian and be so good at it till I really want to strangle him hard too!!!!

He's gonna be a problem to WTS constantly till last episode maybe.

So hopefully his ending is satisfying for what we have endured. B)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

JHM - Is he really dead?

Even the forensic lady wanted to pursue the matter as much as we audience want to! 

I think he is not dead yet. Because there was another man in the car that JHM drove the dna they found might be the deceased man, not him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

I think he is not dead yet. Because there was another man in the car that JHM drove the dna they found might be the deceased man, not him.

Yeah. A bit upset that a civilian was killed in this "show down".

I wonder what goes in WTS's mind when he lit his lighter.

Why didn't he check if the poor man is alive before he do anything drastic?

And, why did he believe that JHM is really dead?

Aargh.. so many things on my head now.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Yeah. A bit upset that a civilian was killed in this "show down".

I wonder what goes in WTS's mind when he lit his lighter.

Why didn't he check if the poor man is alive before he do anything drastic?

And, why did he believe that JHM is really dead?

Aargh.. so many things on my head now.

Hahaha ikr i want to know so badly :( 

20 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

JHM - Is he really dead?

I am really struggling to see how JHM could have survived that explosion. It happened so quickly and unless he had a doppelganger stand in for him at that confrontation, I don't see how he could have gotten away that soon.

Yeah I know this is fiction and they can make what they want to happen ;) but even if JHM were to survive, he should be suffering third degree burns. 

Of course I want him dead. The final nail in the coffin. Or the stake into the heart of the vampire as it were. But they had better be prepared to give us a decent explanation as to how he managed to elude death yet again, if that is indeed the case. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 1