[Drama 2023] Arthdal Chronicles 2, 아스달 연대기 2

marykarmelina

(just came here to say that Arthdal Chronicles has hands down the tightest mythology I've ever seen or read. I am going to be so disappointed when this ends.)

(ps, I am still shipping Tanya with Saya (b/c hoping we'll get a redemption arc). then eun-seom with chae-eun... @ me but I've a history of 2nd lead syndrome that just won't disappear)

• Like 3

Hi all

Ep 16 was so fabulous, I can't help sharing my personal thoughts on it! =)

Spoiler

I have always felt Arthdal to be quite draggy. The plot is heavy and meaty, but some scenes can be quite long and plot progress was rather slow. They finally stepped up in ep 15 and 16!! 

Episode 16 is one of the best I have seen! Quite a number of impactful scenes!

I must say Tanya's role is quite legendary! Her scene when she was cursing, doing the ritual dance, and also today's scene. Really amazed by how she is innately strong and ambitious. 

Have been feeling annoyed by how Eunseom's plight is so repetitive for 80% of the past episodes- get captured, escape, save somebody, get captured again. Was thinking how in the world can someone be so weak and dumb. Episode 16 was so amazing cos' it dissolved these thoughts. Apparently, the write meant Eunseom to be that way and made him realise that. He is actually getting to make connection to what he was taught and his experiences to form his own belief. Seeing how different personalities from Wahan tribe respond to their situations, as well as the change in Tagon, Tanya and etc, the idea of belief and principles is probably one of the lingering theme of Arthdal. 

Looking forward to the final 2 episodes! Please don't leave us with some ending without proper closure because there might be season 2????

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Eunseumtanya said:

Now I am confused...

Is Eunseom Aramun Haesalla or is he Inaishingi?

EP. 16 seems to hint that Eunseom is Inaishingi, so does that mean that Saya is Aramun? Maybe Tagon? But what about Eunseom and Kanmoreu? I need explanations!

What if he is both and Inaishingi and Arum are actually the same person? Or he is still Aramun Haesulla, but the story of Inaishingi survived the trial just accidentally happened again to him.

And Xabara with her tribe really have a lot of badass scenes lol.

• Like 4

Mind blown by the true identity of the Momo Tribe :scream:

I'm really liking the drama and with more tribes/ppl being introduced I don't think this drama will end with 18 episodes. 

I wonder how long Tagon's reign of fear will last. I can't wait to see how Eun-seom, Tanya and Saya are going end Arthdal together (considering how Saya is and now they both like Tanya). But with Tagon as the antagonist one can only guess...

Kinda sad to see that the Wahan Tribe has already bought into the materialistic things of Arthdal (and only Tanya and a child and see through it all).

Really intrigued by this drama and the development of the characters.

Btw when did Tanya develop the ability to read minds?!?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, balletgoddess said:

Mind blown by the true identity of the Momo Tribe :scream:

I'm really liking the drama and with more tribes/ppl being introduced I don't think this drama will end with 18 episodes. 

I wonder how long Tagon's reign of fear will last. I can't wait to see how Eun-seom, Tanya and Saya are going end Arthdal together (considering how Saya is and now they both like Tanya). But with Tagon as the antagonist one can only guess...

Kinda sad to see that the Wahan Tribe has already bought into the materialistic things of Arthdal (and only Tanya and a child and see through it all).

Really intrigued by this drama and the development of the characters.

Btw when did Tanya develop the ability to read minds?!?

Back in episode three when she gave the horse a name

wonder when the horse will come back I hope soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, Claudia Ximena said:

Back in episode three when she gave the horse a name

wonder when the horse will come back I hope soon

Ahhh that's right, thanks!!

But I thought that was only for animals cause we haven't seen her use that ability again since so it slipped my mind. 

Whatever happened to that horse after insulting ES?!

• Like 3

I think for the sheer amount of characters in this drama, more episodes should have been added to the 18. 

ES has been flailing nonstop for the past 16 episodes and we finally have some sort of breakthrough today. I just want to say that out of all the characters, I find him the least interesting because he's a spot of pure white in a world of grey. And I think that's why he doesn't fit for me in this show because everyone else seems to have more layered intentions whereas he's just forever doing the good thing. Which is awesome in real life but sucks to watch onscreen.  He's like the antithesis of Robert from GOT where Robert conquered and then had no freaking clue what to do. ES would make an awesome King but his path there seems to be by sheer luck and literally, the wills of the god. 

Saya was raised by Taelha so LOL, he's going to do what's best for him and has no clue what good or bad means. Tanya went through all sorts of realisations today. Now that she's had her first taste of power, I think it has changed her more than she realises. And the Wahan tribe will never be the same again because it's not just the trauma of losing all the people and what was dear to them but also, now that they've seen the good life, it's hard to go back to the forest and forage for food. 

Tagon and Taelha will be each other's undoing. Also, Tagon made a fatal mistake by appointing Yangcha as Tanya's bodyguard(my shipper side SQUEALS) because Yangcha has already showed that he isn't as loyal to Tagon as before. If Tanya can sway his loyalty, Tagon will find himself with a knife to his back faster than ES getting captured and marched through another camp again(joking)

• Like 10

Poor Tanya... right and wrong, selfishness and righteousness, security and uncertainty, violence and peace, power and helplessness.... all of which have their consequences.

she is innately a good person who now feel guilt, to no fault of her own.... (I wish to return to Iark… but is that even possible now that she is the person with some power!).

Tagon and Taelha who are innately good but now become monsters who do not hesitate to kill anyone to protect what they thing are theirs.

the twin brothers Igutu eunseon/saya  who are diametric opposite of each other one good and relatively innocent by his simple environment,  the other mean-spirited and worldly beat down by his depressing environment.

There is a saying that to be magnanimous, one has to feel strong and secure.  None of these people are secured, even if they hold power!

Modern human who see this story may be sickened by all the unfairness that happened, but in modern time, we can afford to be magnanimous and judgmental.....thousands of years ago can they afford to be??? this reader is not sure!

Tanya always dream about and long for her eunseon….   Will the eunseon she finally see look like the carefree eunseon she remembered or a tyrant like tagon/saya.   will she be able to survive in this dangerous world?

This is one of the most complicated Korean Drama this reader has ever seen!… where goodness and badness mixed and it becomes hard to know what to think about each person (to empathize or reject them for their deeds)!  Great story!

• Like 9

About Tanya and Eun Seom meeting again, I'm holding all my hopes on this interview. At 1'30'', Jang Dong Gun says that ES And TY will dance together again, and SJK confirms.

. I reaaly want this to happen, this is all I'm waiting for. 'Course, I would want the kissing scene for the two, cause I've been longing for it since DOTS, but it seems really hard to happen. I won't grow a hope just to be disappointed.

• Like 5

Its heartwarming to see :

1. EunSeom thinking of Tanya at the brink of his death as he plunged down the waterfall.

2. Tanya thinking of EunSoem as she's out of idea what to do & wished he's beside her. 

Both still place each other as priority in times of desperation... 

Yet their screen time together are so minimal! :( 

Side note:

YangCha's expression when Tagon assigned him to guard Tanya. Adorable!!!

The reluctant eyes, not wanting to be close to the girl who could read his thoughts. 

This couple is interesting too if there were ever to be matched! ^^ 

Two more episodes. So much can happen! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

@sasha1818 said "ES has been flailing nonstop for the past 16 episodes and we finally have some sort of breakthrough today. I just want to say that out of all the characters, I find him the least interesting because he's a spot of pure white in a world of grey. And I think that's why he doesn't fit for me in this show because everyone else seems to have more layered intentions whereas he's just forever doing the good thing. Which is awesome in real life but sucks to watch onscreen.  He's like the antithesis of Robert from GOT where Robert conquered and then had no freaking clue what to do. ES would make an awesome King but his path there seems to be by sheer luck and literally, the wills of the god. "

This reader agree with you about Eunseon.  If Arthdal is broken down, what can Eunseon do?  He knows nothing about governing,   Will he abolish taxation and the guards also? Make everyone equal so they can equally try to kill each other and create a world of chaos?  He cannot even read!

Tanya would make a better leader in that she is very smart and think clearly and can choose to do things that is bad if the alternative is worse.... the judgment of the white mountain tribe's leadership is a great example.  she did not want to punish the innocent children, but she was a priestess, powerless even to protect her tribe... so she did the next best thing, by turning the inevitability into her favor.  She is a realist and in her core will do whatever to protect her people.  BUT she is a woman, and is not feared, hence cannot rule.

So will it be Saya who rules?  He certainly is level-headed, calculating and Ruthless.  what ever the end of the tale, there cannot be chaos.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Sorry to say this but it seems that you overlooked this post I wrote myself. See below. However, even if his upbringing was the reason why he sought power in order to free himself from that darkness, he made a choice as an adult. A man should be defined and judged by his actions and decisions but not by his words. Furthermore not every abused person will abuse their own child later... See, Ipsaeng has changed, even if it took him a long time. Tagon never questioned the society and their belief, he always tried to please his father expecting love and recognition from him. He was the one who proposed the plan how to eradicate the Neanthals and how to diminish the power from the Ago tribes. His plans were ruthless and cruel.    

Thanks for sharing your post and opinion. :)

Whatever you commented on Tagon bad character and his choices, it is what the writer's intent. Tagon is an intentional role, and a contrast role to ES, written by the writer. His intent is to magnifying how cruel, ambitious and evil he is to be a king. Using a villain role is a great storytelling tool. In a classic good versus evil story structure, the hero is motivated by the bad guys actions and this makes the story more appealing to the audience.

No baby born to be evil, it is only influence by external factors including upbringing environment and his journey of learning. We don't quickly define and charge a murderer on  the surface unless we try to understand and assess his initial motive and family background and other associated factors. As mentioned in my earlier post, the writer did not create a mentor for him to meet in his learning journey which I think it's his intention....I stress that it's because, everyone in our lifetime, if you ever met once, this good mentor can turn you to be a better person , a successful person, and help us to reach out to the right course of destination we want. If we refer to all the greatest heroes from the history that drawn from a wide range of eras and spheres of influence, they tend to meet some good mentors who can inspire them to grow and become who they are. That is why I mentioned earlier that the writer had done a good job in creating tagon role as a controversy one which is required in this drama. I hope you do understand my message. Cheers and have a good start of the day :)

PS : I remb there was a youtube video shown the interview with 4 main lead actors, when asking which challenging role they wish to play the most, the answer was all of them wanted to play Tagon role. :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe to make an account.

Spoiler

I can't believe this drama will end at Episode 18. But I also have a reason to believe this drama will end at Episode 18. right now, Arthdal is WEAK. after what Tagon did at episode 15-16, everyone in fear. deep on people hearts, they want someone else strong enough to defeat Tagon. Ago + Momo Tribe are enough to defeat Tagon. It will an easy win in my imagination. I mean, the only one who want to fight at Arthdal right now is Daekan Army. the guards (the red army?) didn't want to do the bad things too, some of them maybe will fight with Eunseom but some of them won't because of people and Tanya(?). of course when Eunseom come to Arthdal, Tanya will tell people to believe in Eunseom. 

I hope this will be wrong so I can see another next 3 seasons next year. :lol:

• Like 7

A second season is definitely needed as this set has shown the start of Tagon as ruler of the Arthdal kingdom and ES's journey to power.  As such there is much more of the chronicles to tell  as when you watch all 3 sets of this season it feels like the culmination of the start of the story.  The prophecy, the journey of the key characters, what drives/motivates their decisions/actions/heart, the consequence of those choices.  What is going to happen when all 3 instruments meet - bell, sword and mirror in Arthdal?  Not only will they be affected but Tagon/Taelha, the various tribes to name a few.  In addition we now have the question as to which main character is ES - is he Inaishingi or Ararum Haesulla?  Can he be both with the responsibility of uniting all the tribes and overturning Arthdal?  Or is he just one of them and if so which one is he as one gets the impression that Ish was a rival of Ararum.  Will Konmaeru return reveal ES's identity? With the knowledge of the twins, how are they going to react when they see each other their upbringing is completely different as well as their thought process.  Saya was raised to do whatever it takes to be in power, killing is irrelevant only strength matters.  ES is just smart and he learns not only from his tribe but from experiences.

After watching the subs- Saya overheard the prophecy, Ipseang got a conscience,  ES gets more subordinates - imagine DS recognizes the Momo tribe as allies of ES through the flag, the military now fears Tanya because of Mugwang's death - they know of her predicting how he died etc. and is of the belief that its due to his disrespect of her, Tanya realizes she along with her people have changed inwardly after being in Arthdal, we find out how much more cool are the Momo tribe, Yangcha gets promoted to Tanya's bodyguard, ES learns another lesson and gets more info on Ago tribe.  I liked this episode and am going to miss it after the final 2.

Therefore, I really hope that there will be a season 2 as even when ES arrives at Arthdal, the story is incomplete and all the other characters have not fulfilled their roles as yet.

Take care.

• Like 4