[Drama 2023] Arthdal Chronicles 2, 아스달 연대기 2

marykarmelina

[Arthdal Chronicles] PILOT Ep 1 spoilers, Song Joong Ki x Kim Ji Won x Jang Dong Gun

arthdal.png
Article: Naver 'Arthdal Chronicles' Choo Ja Hyun saves Song Joong Ki and dies... Jang Dong Gun  Kim Ok Vin share a 'secret' 

1. [+2413,-252]
I have no idea what they said, it was so dark the entire time, the plot is difficult, as for the acting, it seems as if everyone is just doing their own thing. And most of all, the quality of the action scenes are really bad.

2. [+1583,-70]
Air 'Signal 2' quickly instead... My neck is falling off... It's been 3 years. 

3. [+1480,-271]
I have a feeling that this is going to be the drama version of 'Race to Freedom: Uhm Bok Dong'. 
- [+41,-1]
Agree. 
- [+16,-1]
Agree... They invested so much money in it and it's so boring. 

4. [+984,-71]
I'll just watch tomorrow's episode first.. 

5. [+492,-26]
But what exactly did Choo Ja Hyun say at the end before dying?? 
- [+264,-14]
Seriously, I can't hear anything they said at the end. The dream too. It's making me dizzy. 
- [+140,-2]
Did she bring Aramoon here, or did she bring him to Aramoon? 
- [+79,-3]
She said she was cheated by God. She was used. 
- [+205,-6]
So the child that appeared in her dream was Aramoon, it could be Song Joong Ki or Kim Ji Won. Did she bring Aramoon (Song Joong Ki) here, or did she bring him to Aramoon (Kim Ji Won)? 

6. [+303,-7]
Can you guys hear the lines? I kept asking, "What did they say?" while watching. 

7. [+308,-24]
I'll just watch a few more episodes first... To be honest, there aren't many dramas that have tried this genre in our country. They have to keep trying to improve. How can they improve if they keep doing the same storylines...? First, they have started now. But still, it's a little awkward. 

8. [+286,-6]
It's kind of forced to have a young man in his teens grow up to be Jang Dong Gun 10 years later.... To add, 10 years ago, there were lots of people older than Ta Gon, but 10 years later, everyone looks younger than Jang Dong Gun. 

aseudal.png
Article: Naver 'Arthdal Chronicles' Choo Ja Hyun saves Song Joong Ki and dies... Jang Dong Gun's invasion coming soon 

1. [+1072,-77]
Make it so that I can hear the lines. 

2. [+1048,-110]
When are they going to do season 2 of Signal? They talked about doing it since 2 years ago... It's been 3 years... Rather than doing this, please give us Signal 2. 

3. [+686,-93]
Choo Ja Hyun hard carried. 

4. [+596,-73]
Kim Ok Vin's acting is still awkward. It's only the first episode but Choo Ja Hyun is gone, it's such a pity... But still, it's interesting. 

5. [+648,-286]
It's really interesting for me. Song Joong Ki is so handsome. 

6. [+188,-33]
Looks like Choo Ja Hyun is only making a special appearance. What a pity. Her acting skills are good. 

7. [+127,-7]
Lagaz is so sexy. 

8. [+113,-3]
No, but Choo Ja Hyun is still the same after 10 years, but why did only Ta Gon age not just 10, but 30 years..? 

9. [+112,-14]
I wonder who will be the person Jang Dong Gun took with him... 

10. [+96,-2]
The actor who took on Lagaz's role stood out most in the first episode. What a pity.. 

Article: Naver 'Arthdal Chronicles' The descendant of Neanderthal Song Joong Ki, hides in Iarook (?) 

1. [+1372,-55]
Oh god... Is this the standard of the dramas in our country?.. Even high school students could do better makeup than this. The skull headdress, female lead with full makeup, oh.. god.. It's so embarrassing. Don't export this to other countries, please. 

2. [+1134,-161]
It was so boring that I turned the channel. I watched the drama 'Heo Joon' that has Jeon Kwang Ryeol in it and it was so fun that I kept watching. I guess I'll watch 'Heo Joon' [t/n: MBC / 1999-2000] tomorrow too. But Heo Joon treated his patients and escaped to the mountains after being accused of taking money from them.

3. [+522,-14]
It was so cringey that I gave up watching. It's too severe. 

4. [+418,-75]
I read the article but I still don't get what's it about. 

5. [+223,-9]
They used 40 billion won for the production fees, but the headdress that Ta Gon wears looks like the one you can buy at Daiso for 1000 won during Halloween. 

6. [+252,-42]
tvN, please do Goblin 2 and Signal 2. 

7. [+170,-12]
Just what did they use the 50 billion production fees on? At this rate, you'd need the special prosecutors to conduct an investigation. 

8. [+162,-15]
Is this the downgraded version of the famous drama series 'Game of Thrones'? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

9. [+145,-14]
After watching the first episode of 'Arthdal Chronicles', I realized how high quality 'Voice 3' is. I know why they did so much promotion for 'Arthdal Chronicles' now. What are they going to do with the male actors who speak like they are reading off a Korean textbook? At the very least, Choo Ja Hyun covered up everything with her acting skills for 20 mins. Choo Ja Hyun is the only one with good acting skills. Even Jang Dong Gun, Kim Ok Vin, and Song Joong Ki who came out only for a while, they made me cringe. Should I say that they are using a tone that's for musical? I was really disappointed. They created a new world and put in effort, but everything was just bad. I'm curious where did they use that 54 billion won on... Give it to 'Voice 3', it's such a waste.

cre: melohwa

Edited by Vo Ki Trieu
Add source

Didn't have time to finish the episode.  Trying to watch in the midst of preparing for a party.  Found it interesting, but unlike a typical Korean drama, where good guys are obvious from bad guys. In this case, there are so many different tribes that it is hard to differentiate who is who.    Perhaps, the differentiation could have been achieved if the costumes had more differences between tribes.  It may have eliminated confusion for the viewers. 

I suspect that this drama will not be a good fit for the older generations.  But, the younger viewers may like it, and especially people who are into the GoT style.

As for the Netflix subs, "Let's fill our glasses..."   Duh, glass hadn't been and wouldn't be discovered for thousand of years.<_<

• Like 1

3 hours ago, honeywell said:

I watched the first and it was a bit confusing in the beginning so I had to watch it twice just to understand certain characters.  Eun som’s father - Ragaz, did he have a twin brother?  At the white mountain when the Saram were trying to make peace with the Neoanthals or the blue people, I swear it seemed like Ragaz had a twin. Or maybe it’s because of the way they transition the scene as they were leaving the mountain.

Not quite sure for now but to me the other guy was played by Song Jong Ho...At least that's what i though when i saw them...They said all of them were killed so curious if he is still alive or was just a cameo tribe member...They did look alike but they weren't the same actor as far as i saw it...

Quite sad seeing the comments,i have this idea that they are just set on hating it,not understanding the reason but the story for the first episode is solid,even more coming for such seasoned writers(come on, Six Flying Dragons!),if one pays attention it's not that hard and actually engages you to think all the theories...Might just say they aren't into heavy politics type of drama or fantasy and would be cool but saying it's too dark or hard to understand makes them sound(sorry beforehand) plain dumb an dthen indeed this drama might not be for them...

I for one i'm quite eager to see what the writer have in store for the characters and sensing it will be more politics orientated how each character has it's role into it and how they will end on their downfall and how Eum Som will conquer it...

For some time now i'm quite into chinease wuxia(fantasi)dramas and oh boy they are amazing,so i'm quite happy seeing that SK gives somehow a try to this genre in a more deep exploring...

• Like 5

THe overall production in terms of outfit, CG, set etc just seems awkward and unconvincing. I doubt those who watched GOT would buy into this kind of production quality though.  Storyline doesn't bug me, the production quality did.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kansas424 said:

THe overall production in terms of outfit, CG, set etc just seems awkward and unconvincing. I doubt those who watched GOT would buy into this kind of production quality though.  Storyline doesn't bug me, the production quality did.

I disagree but everyone can have a different opinion i found the outfits totally fine the CG was also fine. I found the sets quite beautiful. 

• Like 3

I hope people will stay around for more than just the pilot. I guess if there's a disadvantage to pre-produced dramas, taking care of complaints would be it. Anyways, I don't think it was that bad. I feel Korean people have had it out for this drama ever since it was announced. They said the same types of things about Moon Lovers, but Moon Lovers is still one of the most amazing dramas I've ever seen. The pilot showed that it was definitely worth staying around for at least the next couple of episodes. Anywho..... we shall see where this goes. 

(I've found the only time complaints about a drama were valid was with Hwarang......yikes.)

• Like 4

Just watched episode 1 and thought it was a solid, strong start to the series. The script/plot wasn’t confusing at all and I like the embedded themes of identity and the sub-theme of humanity. I also didn’t have any problems with the production. Compared to other historical-fantasy K-dramas, this is show clearly has a stronger production. Ragaz and the kid who played teenage Tagon did very well and stole every scene they were in. Young boy Eunsoem is a cutie and good too.  KOB is so pretty, JDG looking good - the second leads left a strong impression from the get go. 

Despite some stylistic similarity to GOT  - which is surprisingly minimal, especially for all the comparisons online. I am also not seeing any similarity or that this show is trying to be like a Korean GOT etc. On this note, I do think that this kind of thinking is why so many people dislike the show and find many faults. Like someone said - it was the same when Scarlet Heart - Moon Lovers came out. Someone also said that this show may not be popular with the older gen.; I disagree. I am 42 and didn’t find the show too young for my taste at all. 

Spoiler

I also enjoyed the mom + Aramun god scenes. The question really is: did the god used mom to bring E to the lark or did she bring the girl to the god? Let’s see....

• Like 2

I'm so suprised with Knet's reaction. For me, I'm impressed with the CGI and the acting skill of all characters except the actor who leads young Tagon. He can't express the power or anything that must have about Tagon. however, he just appears in few minutes so it doesn't affect the quality. Besides, when I see Kim Ok Bin, I say "Wtf, so beautiful" immediately :)). Knet apprently don't like this episode but don't nervous, it is just 1st episode, let's wait the next one and I think they will change their mind.

5 hours ago, kansas424 said:

I agree with you that the Outfits and some scenes look like GOT, but when I watch the drama, I totally notice the plot and the acting skill of the actors. About the plot, it's just the first episode so I can't make any evaluation. Anyway, everyone has their own opinion.

• Like 4

This drama will only have 18 episodes divided by 3 so only 6 episodes per Season. How can it wrapped up everything without sacrificing the plot? 

Game of Thrones fan here and the finale GoT season was highly criticized due to being hurried. 

From the pilot episode, the plot looks as complicated as GoT and 18 episodes only? I highly doubt if they can do justice to every character's storyline.

Okay, even if let's not talk about Game of Thrones, even compared to other hit KDramas with complex plot, the others had more than 20 episodes. 

1 hour ago, stella77 said:

Just watched episode 1 and thought it was a solid, strong start to the series. The script/plot wasn’t confusing at all and I like the embedded themes of identity and the sub-theme of humanity. I also didn’t have any problems with the production. Compared to other historical-fantasy K-dramas, this is show clearly has a stronger production. Ragaz and the kid who played teenage Tagon did very well and stole every scene they were in. Young boy Eunsoem is a cutie and good too.  KOB is so pretty, JDG looking good - the second leads left a strong impression from the get go. 

Despite some stylistic similarity to GOT  - which is surprisingly minimal, especially for all the comparisons online. I am also not seeing any similarity or that this show is trying to be like a Korean GOT etc. On this note, I do think that this kind of thinking is why so many people dislike the show and find many faults. Like someone said - it was the same when Scarlet Heart - Moon Lovers came out. Someone also said that this show may not be popular with the older gen.; I disagree. I am 42 and didn’t find the show too young for my taste at all. 

Hide contents

I also enjoyed the mom + Aramun god scenes. The question really is: did the god used mom to bring E to the lark or did she bring the girl to the god? Let’s see....

Spoiler

I think the god brought E to the girl. 

22 minutes ago, leek said:

This drama will only have 18 episodes divided by 3 so only 6 episodes per Season. How can it wrapped up everything without sacrificing the plot? 

Game of Thrones fan here and the finale GoT season was highly criticized due to being hurried. 

From the pilot episode, the plot looks as complicated as GoT and 18 episodes only? I highly doubt if they can do justice to every character's storyline.

Okay, even if let's not talk about Game of Thrones, even compared to other hit KDramas with complex plot, the others had more than 20 episodes. 

Every episode will be super long i think its enough time and GOT had bigger issues then it being rushed. 

Could maybe have more seasons depending how it ends and how well it does. 

I do think they were expecting Mr Sunshine levels or higher success though. 

• Like 2

• Jang Dong Gun looks fine with his mane of glory
  • The story (and bad cgi/make up) kinda reminds me of a 2007 korean drama: "The Legend/Legend", with the difference that in Legend, the story was kinda good.
  • The scenes were cheap, idk if it's the ligth/palette/the cameras, but with so much publicity and hype, the truth is that Arthdal falls short
  • And last but not least: Song Joong Ki's lipstick...

giphy.gif

I'll give one o two more eps

4 minutes ago, cafe99 said:
  • Jang Dong Gun looks fine with his mane of glory
  • The story (and bad cgi/make up) kinda reminds me of a 2007 korean drama: "The Legend/Legend", just that in Legend, the story was kinda good.
  • The scenes were cheap, idk if it's the ligth/palette/the cameras, but with so much publicity and hype, the truth is that Arthdal falls short
  • And last but not least: Song Joong Ki's lipstick...

I'll give one o two more eps, but so far, the first ep was meh and wtf-y

Which make up did you have issue with apart from the lipstick and which scenes were cheap just curious?

I dont think the story can really be judged and the people behind this show will make a good story. 

27 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Which make up did you have issue with apart from the lipstick and which scenes were cheap just curious?

I dont think the story can really be judged and the people behind this show will make a good story. 

Some cheap scenes:

• The forest scene, especially when they kill the blue blood dude, it looked like he was throwing up fluoride paint like the one we used at school.
  •  ES mother inside the cavern
  • The skull at the party thing!! LMAO, even bigger than his head.
  • When ES is walking with is mom in that desert

I actually think that a story CAN and will be judged, this has actually something to do with the people in front and behind the camera: the actors with their performance, the director, writters, make up artist, etc. Every one has a input in the drama (in different degrees of course). And so far Arthdal is much ado about almost nothin, story wise and narrative rhythm. 

• Like 1

The main issue raised by well known critics for Game of Thrones was mostly on the character developments. Like for instance how Daenerys suddenly became a mad queen without properly establishing the prelude to it. All the other issues were fans issues. GOT has the most obsessed fandom ever. This is why anyone copying it in some aspects can expect reactions from GOT fanatics. 

So this is my concern about Arthdal Chronicles, they have a complex plot but they only made 18 episodes.(Although I honestly laughed at the poor quality of poster and SJK make up.) 

• Like 2

So far, I like the story. I don't understand why people keep comparing AC with GOT implying that the story was a plagiarism because while GOT was more inspired by the Middle Age (the weapons, armors, dragons, castle...), in AC the writer used as source for his story Paleolithic, Neolithic and Metal age: the reference of the evolution (coming from the tree,the discovery of fire, wheels aso) then the use of terminologies like homo sapiens are quite evident. Furthermore the race "Neanthal"reminds us a lot of Neanderthal, an extinct species of archaic humans. This reason for this extinction is not really determined, a disease is supposed to be the cause of their extinction. The researchers even found traces of interbreeding between Neanderthals and other human species, just like in the story. As conclusion, the period is totally different.

I sense that the writer has been influenced by Avatar because here we see a fight between two civilizations too: one is supposed to be more developed hence superior and the other is more primitive. Yet, the tribes from the Metal age behave like inhumans due to the schemes and their greed. I thought of Avatar due to the blue blood of Neanthals and the Moon ceremony of Ragaz, where we see blue fireflies. 

Yet, even if I see traces of other films/series, this doesn't bother me at all because they are just sources of inspiration. Indirectly they are paying homage to Avatar and GOT. Besides, famous writers used works from other writers as source of inspiration, like f. example Rebecca from Daphne Du Maurier who was inspired by Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte).

Let go back to the story itself: the "homo sapiens" means "wise man", however they behave like Barbarians. I guess, Tagon took the little boy (an igutu) due to the "prophecy" that an igutu will bring bad omen to Arthdal. I have the impression that he is raising the boy as one of his own so that the igutu will remain loyal to him and the prophecy won't be fulfilled. Nevertheless, Tagon made a big mistake as he is not aware of the existence of EunSom.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 3

Did anyone see also that this series will be split into 3 season with the last season airing in september which gives it like a 2 month off from season 2 to season 3? Anyone seen any drama like this before because it really doesn't make sense in my mind to give it a break when filming was already completed.

• Like 3