[Drama 2023] Arthdal Chronicles 2, 아스달 연대기 2

marykarmelina

@maribella

@scarletlover1

This reader feels sorry for Saya, Taealha, Tanya.... all of them are victims of their circumstances.  They all grows/grew up in a harsh world where the bigger fish eats the small ones, where dangers lie outside and within, where nothing is sacred...even their religion can be bought and sold to the most adventageous.

Saya grew up in the ivory tower where he is has privileges but at the same time has to hide his secret.  He saw how the slaves and ordinary people are treated... brutally.  This is his norms, and that of society.  He knows no other ways... so it's not ironic that he deliberately mistreats Tanya and makes her miserable, just as he was when his puppy love was squashed.  He wants to see other suffer (including his "MOTHER") just as he did.  He learns to be vindictive from MOTHER.  But he is lonely and needs a pet...which obviously won't be Hae Tu-ak!

Taealha as a young girl of 17 thought that she will get to be with her half-breed prince charming Tagon…. even got a new dress, the best in Arthdal,.... and end up with his father instead!  It taught her that blood is second, politics is first.... this experience along with the brutality of this society, along with her AMBITIONS and INSECURITIES makes her into what she is... an insecure resentful  woman who wants to be top dog.  Not sure if she can have a kid (or the Sanung was sterile or she used herbs from her tribe), so what's better than a half-breed mongrel son with blue blood and another half-breed mongrel for a mate!

Tanya is the most unfortunate of the three since she grew up free, in a carefree world where danger is all external (other tribes, wild boars and tigers), where she can bathe in the warmth and security of her family, her clan.  Then the family (almost) disappears, the clan dissolved and she's a slave... sit/stand/sit/stand... like a dog.  Then her puppy love got cooked (she thought)...and now she starts to go through what Taealha went through at approximately her age... that arthdal world is cruel and treacherous and one is not safe unless...one is TOP DOG!  So which top dog will she try to go after?  The big dog or the little one?!

@uuugogirl

HOPE TANYA  DOES NOT GO AFTER THE TOP DOG.. because that would MAKE TAEALHA MAD.. which would not be good for her longevity!!

Poor Eunseom… he is changing too and start to understand about politics!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

But what pissed me off was the way he talked to her about ES. He knows what it is like to lose someone that you love, be more considerate of how she's feeling.

I actually liked the way he did it. It opened up Tanya's eyes and got her out of "eunseom's gonna come save me phase" Saya wasn't doing it to hurt her, he was doing it to help her. He knows what a dark place it was, he was borderline suicidal when it happened to him. So he did tanya a favor actually by letting her accept eunseom's "death", and he also gave her another reason to live, even though he'll be used by Tanya. 

1 hour ago, maribella said:

Saya struck me as amoral. He was brought up in seclusion by a conniving ambitious woman. He did not seem to care for what is right or wrong, just follows his feelings.

Being locked up in a tower for 20 years with only books to read as your daily companion tends to do that to a person, even if he occasionally roams the night it makes no difference cause he didn't have any normal relationships with people. Not to mention he has been emotionally manipulated by Taellha. Still can't get that scene of saya crawling towards tanya out of my head. argh. 

Eunseom is great, i love him, but Saya is actually my favorite character at the moment. He just excites me more cause i can't seem to predict what he's gonna plot next. And he is the most in line with the 3 heavenly things on the prophecy. He Mirrors things in such way that if you do him good, he's gonna be good to you. If you separate him from his lover, he'll also do the same thing. Also he was acting as a mirror in showing Tanya how to properly remorse and accept eunseom's death. 
Makes me also wonder what will Saya and Eunseom do to Tagon when he learns that he was the one who killed their father, and plotted their mother's death. 

I'm not really more into the love story part cause this series is not that promising in terms of our leads getting a happy ending. I'm much more looking forward into the power dynamics that's gonna involve Saya, Tagon, Taellha and Eunseom. Now we can add Tanya in the mix as well. It's gonna be interesting to watch who's gonna side with whom, and who's gonna betray whom. 

Also I love that short scene with the Wahan Kids. Makes me more firm in my resolve that The Wahans are the bestest tribe there is. 

• Like 10

I am late but just saw episode 8 and wow another great episode. 

Spoiler

I am really enjoying Saya’s character. He is a total result of his adopted parents, situation of isolation, the revenge plotting and the way they developed his character with Tanya is really interesting. Happily surprised at the turn of events re his arc.

I like cried buckets re the flashback of children E and T playing. It was like a goodbye to innocent, first & pure love and potentially their relationship as they can’t be who they are now as they continue on their path for answers and survival. I didn’t expect Tanya to jump S in that scene about E’s death! Curious as to if she will ever tell Saya about his twin or if Saya will tell her that he saw her in the dreams too. 

Ouch re the Wahan betrayal of each other. One thing I really appreciate about this show is their brutal honest depiction of real human nature and emotions (SJK is killing it as Saya btw), including the real ugly truths like friends selling each other out due to fear and resentment etc. 

I was hoping Magically Kanmarou would save E (maybe next episode?!?) but I agree with another post that said earlier that all this is to teach him a lesson - to be more cautious and cunning. He should have planned better this rescue operation. It will be interesting to see how the big guy that betrays them turn out in the future.

• Like 7

On 6/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, tiger457_stv said:

them are victims of their circumstances.  They all grows/grew up in a harsh world where the bigger fish eats the small ones, where dangers lie outside a

The three of them are at the top of the food chain, so being surrounded by intrigues is expected. Unlike TY who is from a small clan with little wealth for others to covet, she would have had a more carefree life. 

I think sadly, ES and SY will fight over TY without knowing they are twins. SY is a fast learner, could he take the position of Danpyeok?

• Like 6

@deenchan said

Being locked up in a tower for 20 years with only books to read as your daily companion tends to do that to a person, even if he occasionally roams the night it makes no difference cause he didn't have any normal relationships with people. Not to mention he has been emotionally manipulated by Taellha. Still can't get that scene of saya crawling towards tanya out of my head. argh. 

Eunseom is great, i love him, but Saya is actually my favorite character at the moment. He just excites me more cause i can't seem to predict what he's gonna plot next. And he is the most in line with the 3 heavenly things on the prophecy. He Mirrors things in such way that if you do him good, he's gonna be good to you. If you separate him from his lover, he'll also do the same thing. Also he was acting as a mirror in showing Tanya how to properly remorse and accept eunseom's death. 
Makes me also wonder what will Saya and Eunseom do to Tagon when he learns that he was the one who killed their father, and plotted their mother's death. 

I'm not really more into the love story part cause this series is not that promising in terms of our leads getting a happy ending. I'm much more looking forward into the power dynamics that's gonna involve Saya, Tagon, Taellha and Eunseom. Now we can add Tanya in the mix as well. It's gonna be interesting to watch who's gonna side with whom, and who's gonna betray whom. 

Also I love that short scene with the Wahan Kids. Makes me more firm in my resolve that The Wahans are the bestest tribe there is. 

This reader agrees with you totally.  Saya is highly unpredictable because of his circumstances and his knowledge.. he is not pure like Eunseom.  He also wants to play power games, not muscle strength game hence is very dangerous.

This tale is definitely not a romance... kind of like Japanese Historical TAIGA dramas.

What is fascinating to me is that just like in modern time when the primitive tribes got wiped out by infectious disease from the civilized nations, that was what happened to the primitive Neanthal.  Those diseases (like measles, small pox) originates from domesticated animals (like pigs and chickens) then mutated and spread to crowded human environment of civilization.  The primitive who don't have domesticated animals stand no chance (measles and small pox wipe of most of the Indians population of Hispaniola, and enslavement killed the rest ...1-2 millions to zero within 50 years!) just like the Neanthal.

@maribella said... The three of them are at the top of the food chain, so being surrounded by intrigues is expected. Unlike TY who is from a small clan with little wealth for others to covert, she would have had a more carefree life. 

I think sadly, ES and SY will fight over TY without knowing they are twins. SY is a fast learner, could he take the position of Danpyeok?

The worst tyrant is a Resentful one with Power (top of the food chain as you would say).  Look at Hitler!  Unfortunately the twins will be in for a disappointment.  There is only on Tanya.  Hope she won't die in this process.  Little Saya has the advantage of knowledge and intrigues.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, sasha1818 said:

He calls Tagon father but more importantly, he asserts his right as Tagon's heir to the throne. I think he purposely goaded Tanya like that to snap her out of her dazed state and considering the fact that he saw her in his dreams, may have realised she could be an important person for him to have beside him. It almost mirrors the relationship Tagon and Taelha have. It's kinda ironic that tagon's heir turned out to be just as cunning as him even though they aren't related by blood and it would be befitting if Saya is the one to turn on Tagon similar to how Tagon killed his father. 

Well said. Saya is a Tagon wannabe. He sees him as a great role model and wants them to rule together as father and son. He also thinks Igutus are the superior race which is problematic.

3 hours ago, sasha1818 said:

I don't think Saya is a bad character BUT, I do think that after he lost his first love, he immediately had a heel face turn similar to Tanya and decided to have ambitions of power so that he would never be that vulnerable again. 

I think both Tagon and Taealha had this heel face turn when they were younger too. They were both vulnerable and abused by their powerful fathers so they decided to become more powerful than them by any means necessary.

• Like 7

It makes sense why Mubaek will save Tanya's father first because Mubaek will need him. I suspect that Tanya's father will be the one who knows how to make bronze weapons since he has always been an inventor. So far, Mihol thinks, he is the only one with the secret hence his life can not be threatened. Another reason why Mubaek needs Tanyal's father is that he has a huge influence on the Wahan tribe.   

First, Tanya's father was sent to the Hae tribe as a mole and hostage. He is working for Tagon as a mole so that Tagon can get intel about the Hae Tribe, Taealha needs him in order to control Tanya. Yet, Tagon and Taealha will be too busy to notice that Mubaek has already left their side. He knows that Tagon is not the real Aramun.

As for Tanya, I am glad that she decided to look for the answers because so far, Eunseom had been too busy on trying to save the Wahan Tribe that he didn't think in a long term. I was actually disappointed by the behavior of the members from Wahan Tribe. Yes, he did leave them behind but he came back and that's what matters. I believe that the one who betrayed them will do far more worse with the excuse that he wanted to survive.  

I have the feeling that the episodes 7-12 are about the establishment of Tagon's kingdom. So far, he is still perceived as the Union leader framed with ministers from all the tribes. Tagon acts as if he cares about tradition (he wanted to use an old tradition from Aramun). But just like in Hitler's case who was framed by ministers from other conservative parties, little by little he will remove one by one all the ministers or or force them to accept his ruling. If the ministers are removed, then Tagon will use the law for that... saying that they conspired against Tagon aso. At the same time, we will observe the rising of Saya and Tanya.  

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I was actually disappointed by the behavior of the members from Wahan Tribe. Yes, he did leave them behind but he came back and that's what matters. I believe that the one who betrayed them will do far more worse with the excuse that he wanted to survive.  

It was disappointing but realistic. Human nature is the same, Wahans are no exception.

Btw, when doctor said he will try to bring back Tagon's dead brother it reminded me of Tanya's curse about mothers eating their dead children and then the dead children eating their mother. I hope they don't add zombies to this story. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

10 Most Searched Dramas In Korea (Based On June 23 Data)

D9uzgWsU8AABHvo.jpg

The ranking does not show much change compared to last week.

“Arthdal Chronicles” keeps on being the most searched drama with first place. Others dramas keep on being at the center of the attention. 

read full article>>> https://www.kpopmap.com/10-most-searched-dramas-in-korea-based-on-june-23-data/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My sooooo pretty boy! :heart:

tumblr_ptkf0khfcF1wht2r7o2_250.giftumblr_ptkf0khfcF1wht2r7o1_250.gif

• Like 4

@bebebisous33  I think you are mixing up Mubaek and Tagon here based on your previous comments, their attire do look similiar.  It is Tagon who is keeping Tanya's father as hostage for 2 key reasons (i) to keep Tanya in check (2) to take advantage of the man's interest and ability to learn about this new world especially bronze technology which Mihol has the strange assumption that he has a monopoly on.

The Wahan's all underwent a drastic change as to the peaceful life as they know it, however they have shown their ability to learn, adapt and change which is what was clearly shown in the last 2 episodes.  The changes to their personalities with this tragedy came a nasty reality check.  The present them were isolated from other tribes excluding there neighbors until the Asa/Arath came and took over were of the belief they were okay and strong and blessed by the White Wolf.  

Mubaek is protecting Tagon's brother because his role is important in the future especially when the power dynamics comes in play.  Plus the brother, should he recover is likely to go on Mubaek's side in the future.  Tanya realized that the present her is weak and in order to become strong and fulfill her role to her tribe and Eunseom "E" must gain power by using the stone beside her (Saya).  Dalsae who did not understood and disliked Eunseom in the first place learned to appreciate "E's" efforts to save his people but at the same time confidence got shattered with his people becoming slaves and inability to save/protect them.  He experienced betrayal from his own people for the first time as well as they are blaming him for doing nothing as one is a weakling and the other a coward.  "E's"  underwent change due to his somewhat free interactions with Saram, however he did not expect to be betrayed by his own people i.e the coward.  That chained walk/talk was enlightening and "E's" horse calls him weak because that what he is at the moment.  But that is a typical kdrama or novel trope to transform someone from weak to strong through encountering hardships and changing for the better.

As for romance, not in a rush for it and if I see it in part 3, would understand because this part is focusing on Tagon's/Taelha power dynamics and the growth of the 3 children of prophecy and in a way some of the people of the disbanded Wahan tribe.  Mubaek, knows that "E" is of the sword but have not yet found the other 2 which is critical.

Looking forward to the next episodes as it looks like fun.  Take care,

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@chasen8888 No, I am not mixing up Tagon with Mubaek. It is just that you misunderstood me. :)

- Tagon used first all the members from that tribe as hostages. But once he saw how Tanya's father reacted in that workshop, he saw an opportunity. So Tanya's father has been sent to the Hae tribe as spy. In my opinion, he wants him to discover the secret how to make bronze weapons.

- Tagon made it look like a show of trust by sending him there.

- For Taealha, she saw it as a necessity because she could use him as a thread in order to control Tanya.

Then I said that Mubaek visited Tanya's father for two reasons. So in the preview, Mubaek visits Tanya's father and this is important because from that moment, Mubaek is acting on his own, while Tagon and Taealha are focused on destroying the Union and creating a kingdom. So far, Mubaek has not caught Tagon's attention. Mubaek will be the one who helps Eunseom to gather forces. Tanya's father is the lead of the Wahan Tribe. His words will have an impact on the other members. 

• Like 9

I'm glad that even though this drama is a fantasy one, but it touches the most about human nature intricately. You can actually relate to it and to each character that you would literally still understand whatever things they're doing, either good or bad. Because we're all humans in the end, indeed.

And poor Eunseom, never gets to take a break. Tagon is now the union leader while he is captured as a slave. I wonder how he'll make a comeback. I'm still quite upset that Kanmoreu left him..ha ha.

As with Saya, I agree with everyone here that he's the most interesting character thus far, probably even than Eunseom currently. I won't say I like him or not, but I'm glad he cares for Tanya even not knowing as to why. Which I think has to do with him seeing her in his dreams (which isn't a dream actually because he's just literally seeing what Eunseom is seeing). The chemistry between KJW and SJK is just perfect. We haven't seen Tanya and ES together since they separated so I'm not complaining because at least Saya is still SJK :D. I get to see them together.

Happy to finally see Tanya upping up her game, I know many of you here said that we may probably not see pure Tanya again after this, however I still believe she will always be, but one who is no longer ignorant. Now, she even put a curse on Saya. She have the twins all wrapped up now in her fingers ;)...Eunseom bound to her by the name "Dream" and Saya by the name "Master". I remembered again when the director and writer said Tanya is the scariest character, now I get it, because of how powerful her curse will be. 

22 hours ago, deenchan said:

You know, I totally agree with you. They are indeed. I feel sad for what they have to go through. They were just so happy and contented with what they have. Now, they are learning about human nature  the hard way, even to the point of betraying their once so-called brothers just to survive. I can never bring myself to hate them because this is all new to them. Dalsae, whom I actually quite dislike from the start, at least redeemed himself in my eyes from the moment he helped Eunseom and Tanya when they were being captured in the first episodes. He may not be Eunseom's number one fan from the start, but I like how he was so concerned about him, especially when they were beating him after knowing he's an Igutu. I hope he survives as well until the end.

• Like 10

I believe that Eunseom couldn't use all his strength as he had been injured before. First, he was still recovering from the wound caused by Yangcha and later he got beaten by the soldiers. That's why he was weak.

However, we shouldn't forget that he is linked to the sword which means his fighting skills will improve and he will become a real good strategist. But he needs Mubaek's assistance for that. 

Tanya's power is symbolized by the bell implying that her strength will be the words. We already saw that her words ("dream", "master") have a huge influence on the people she talked to. She will be able to manipulated Saya and others. She already succeeded with Taealha, the latter didn't even dare to kill her due to the revelations. Even Taealha fears her as she has the impression that she is connected to the spiritual world. 

• Like 15
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

I'm glad that even though this drama is a fantasy one, but it touches the most about human nature intricately. You can actually relate to it and to each character that you would literally still understand whatever things they're doing, either good or bad. Because we're all humans in the end, indeed.

And poor Eunseom, never gets to take a break. Tagon is now the union leader while he is captured as a slave. I wonder how he'll make a comeback. I'm still quite upset that Kanmoreu left him..ha ha.

As with Saya, I agree with everyone here that he's the most interesting character thus far, probably even than Eunseom currently. I won't say I like him or not, but I'm glad he cares for Tanya even not knowing as to why. Which I think has to do with him seeing her in his dreams (which isn't a dream actually because he's just literally seeing what Eunseom is seeing). The chemistry between KJW and SJK is just perfect. We haven't seen Tanya and ES together since they separated so I'm not complaining because at least Saya is still SJK :D. I get to see them together.

Happy to finally see Tanya upping up her game, I know many of you here said that we may probably not see pure Tanya again after this, however I still believe she will always be, but one who is no longer ignorant. Now, she even put a curse on Saya. She have the twins all wrapped up now in her fingers ;)...Eunseom bound to her by the name "Dream" and Saya by the name "Master". I remembered again when the director and writer said Tanya is the scariest character, now I get it, because of how powerful her curse will be. 

You know, I totally agree with you. They are indeed. I feel sad for what they have to go through. They were just so happy and contented with what they have. Now, they are learning about human nature  the hard way, even to the point of betraying their once so-called brothers just to survive. I can never bring myself to hate them because this is all new to them. Dalsae, whom I actually quite dislike from the start, at least redeemed himself in my eyes from the moment he helped Eunseom and Tanya when they were being captured in the first episodes. He may not be Eunseom's number one fan from the start, but I like how he was so concerned about him, especially when they were beating him after knowing he's an Igutu. I hope he survives as well until the end.

This reader agrees with you.  To survive people do all kind of things, including betraying each other.  Look at prisoner of war camps where some people become the snitch, spying on the guards against their brothers so that they can have food and an easier life.  My own uncle didn't cooperate and end up  eating lizard and insects for lack of food... and he beat up a guy who snitched on the group, and ended up getting tortured by the guards almost to death....but he survived.

No we cannot hate these people who do almost anything.  we may despite them for their weakness but not hate them.  It is this selfishness that probably keeps this species alive.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2