[Drama 2023] Arthdal Chronicles 2, 아스달 연대기 2

marykarmelina

I have a feeling that casting Song Joong-Ki as The One is perhaps to allude that Tree With Deep Root's King Sejong is a descendant of Eun-Som. I'm expecting Han Suk-Gyu to cameo as older Eun-Som.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:20 AM, timpa pa said:

Feels more like Final Fantasy or RPG type story more than GOT.

I feel it too, like an RPG. And really, any of you who have been dabbling in RPGs will know that even GOT "borrows" a lot from (older) RPG lexicon. I guess this is why I am not bothered at all by the "unconventional" way the story play out: some are summarised and abridged, some are told in detail. I also think that there's an intended confusion as we try to learn and navigate through that world's folktales, fairytales, legends, and recent events, just as the characters do.

I do feel the "uneveness" of expositions, which are typical and sadly becoming a plague in saeguk, but here, I found them more tolerable (and hurray for inner monologues! ). So far, I am liking this for the very reason that this doesn't feel like the usual korean dramas. The director, especially, and writers aren't known for that typical k-drama/saeguk.

• Like 2

4O1xqHF.png

"arthdal chronicles was pre-produced for about 9 months from september last year to last month, but we haven't finished all the filming. this is why we postponed the part 3 broadcast to the second half" he hinted.

(from dcgall)

• Insightful 1

Hi guys! Been lurking here for a while and can’t help to comment!

I honestly worried of how this drama will goes but so far the storyline is good, the characters building also strong, some people said it’s too much but I think it’s just depends on the drama scale. This one aim to have 3 seasons, ofc it can’t only have simple characters especially with this pre-historic background.

The ones that blew my mind and made me seal the deal was Tagon and Tealha. When Tagon celebrated his last Neanthal hunt, he looks so much like I imagined his character to be. Tealha first scene was so damn sexy and beautiful. Her way of talking pretty much saying how manipulative she can be and I dig it so much! ES was innocent as I picture it to be. Nothing much now but can’t wait to see what is that innocent will turn to be. I feel Tanya was quite weak on eps 1 and 2, the ‘can’t dance, can’t dream’ thingy felt so short. But she slowly build up her story and during the curse scene you can feel the intensity that she’s about to bring.

The mysteries in my head:

- where is the two neathals saved by Asahon and Ragaz (I think it’s Rottip and idk)

- who is ES brother and why Tagon keep him

- what is Arthdal history, we know Aramun is their hero, he’s prolly an igut, ES and Tanya are his representatives. But I wanna know more. Who is Great White Wolf, etc.

- who is Yangcha and why does Tagon punished him to not talk

Can’t wait for the weekend to come soon! 

• Like 9

I have read several posts about what the critics and detractors think or have written about Arthdal Chronicles and frankly, I do not care.  If a drama catches my attention, then I watch it.  It does not matter if the actors are "famous" or unknown, if they act well and make me invested in the character they are playing, I will stick with the drama.  If the drama changes direction and the becomes unbelievable, then I will stopping watching it.  Arthdal Chronicles is a fantasy and; therefore, the norms can be stretched and bent.  I can see some inconsistencies, if the story was following history as we know it; however, since it is not following history, but an era as a backdrop; then I do not have any problems.  Fantasy genres are about, suspending what is logical and real and using our imagination to believe the other worldly.  Therefore, I have a few sincere words for the detractors and critics... don't watch.  I am sure there are other dramas that are airing that will appeal to you.  

It is my hope that we limit our comments about what others think and use this space to analyze, surmise, and summarize our thoughts and opinions about Arthdal Chronicles.  I always enjoy, whether I am in agreement or not, everyone's insights, analyses, gifs, and banter.  You are what makes me come to this post back again and again. 

• Like 7

after hearing your comments about Tagon, about how manipulative he is...it is very interesting to note that on the surface he does not seem manipulative at all.  In fact he seems like a very kind and just man who takes care of his people....someone who would sacrifice himself for the common good of the tribes. ...a true HERO!!!

His manipulation is much more undertone more subtle and effective.  He even manage to manipulate Taealha who is no slouch.

This reader hopes he picks taealha instead of the child tanya…. since the former is a great asset who can assist him with his dream, while the latter would not.   I don't see how the young ibutu can be king of anything.  Rather as he is, he is more likely to destroy the first kingdom than to raise it.

Someone may say, a world of small tribes is good...more independence, more freedom.

but kingdom has its advantage of efficiency, trades (chicken coops vs free ranging chickens),  technology and less chance of mass starvation and intertribal warfare.

This reader hopes that the end of the tale will be constructive and not a chaotic mess (like what happened with the failure of Western Roman Empire and the start of the Dark Age in Western Europe).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

after hearing your comments about Tagon, about how manipulative he is...it is very interesting to note that on the surface he does not seem manipulative at all.  In fact he seems like a very kind and just man who takes care of his people....someone who would sacrifice himself for the common good of the tribes. ...a true HERO!!!

His manipulation is much more undertone more subtle and effective.  He even manage to manipulate Taealha who is no slouch.

This reader hopes he picks taealha instead of the child tanya…. since the former is a great asset who can assist him with his dream, while the latter would not.   I don't see how the young ibutu can be king of anything.  Rather as he is, he is more likely to destroy the first kingdom than to raise it.

Someone may say, a world of small tribes is good...more independence, more freedom.

but kingdom has its advantage of efficiency, trades (chicken coops vs free ranging chickens),  technology and less chance of mass starvation and intertribal warfare.

This reader hopes that the end of the tale will be constructive and not a chaotic mess (like what happened with the failure of Western Roman Empire and the start of the Dark Age in Western Europe).

I have to disagree with you. Arthdal was already united as this was a territory where tribes worked together. No tribe ruled the others but at some point, they forgot Aramun Haesulla's words and one tribe started becoming greedy. Now, with the expansion, they forced tribes to pay higher taxes for the White Mountain Tribes which led other tribes to starve. Notice that Tagon's father was trying to increase his power while relying on Asa Ron and Hae Miho, although in reality he had to ensure that Asa Ron wouldn't win too much. Samung made sure that people's anger was targeting Asa Ron and his tribe... that's why he killed all the thieves but let the leader live. The leader would say that Samung saved his life, and blame Asa Ron for the death of the others.

Sure, the Neanthals didn't want to join them but fact is that Arthdal was already an union of different tribes that worked together. As conclusion, a kingdom is not the right answer as such, it is about equity in reality. 

• Like 7

@bebebisous33   Arthdal is a confederation of tribes (as you said a union of different tribes)….some what like the Iroquois nation where multiple tribes are united for their common good with some tribes (like the Senaca) dominate the confederation.

This is not the same as a kingdom where some leader dominate ALL.  In Arthdal there are two leaders (one religious and one political) which is not the usual for most kingdoms.  It is this division of power which causes a lot of conflict.

In a kingdom there may be multi-factions but usually one king.  This reader hopes that the young ubiti won't destabilize everything with the tribes reverting back to what they once were, before they picked up their current religion.

As for what happened to the Neanthal...it is the usual fate of less advanced society when faced by a more sophisticated one.   This reader is not sure if Arthdal really wanted the Neanthal to join their confederation (since they don't practice the same religion with 8 gods, nor have use for any arthdal goods or technology).  Most likely it was a ploy to disarm the Neanthal before exterminating them for their land....something very common in history.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@bebebisous33   Arthdal is a confederation of tribes (as you said a union of different tribes)….some what like the Iroquois nation where multiple tribes are united for their common good with some tribes (like the Senaca) dominate the confederation.

This is not the same as a kingdom where some leader dominate ALL.  In Arthdal there are two leaders (one religious and one political) which is not the usual for most kingdoms.  It is this division of power which causes a lot of conflict.

In a kingdom there may be multi-factions but usually one king.  This reader hopes that the young ubiti won't destabilize everything with the tribes reverting back to what they once were, before they picked up their current religion.

As for what happened to the Neanthal...it is the usual fate of less advanced society when faced by a more sophisticated one.   This reader is not sure if Arthdal really wanted the Neanthal to join their confederation (since they don't practice the same religion with 8 gods, nor have use for any arthdal goods or technology).  Most likely it was a ploy to disarm the Neanthal before exterminating them for their land....something very common in history.

But while Tagon dreams of an absolute monarchy, Eunseom /Aramun Haesulla represents a different type of monarchy, like a constitutional monarchy where the king is bound to respect certain laws. We heard from the cult that there are rules, like no tribe rules over the others. Since it is said that Tanya will become a prime minister, it looks more like a constitutional monarchy, where you have an assembly... here it would be an assembly of the tribes, which actually doesn't exist right now. Only the leaders of three tribes are ruling this confederation.

Yes, the story of Neanthals is nothing new but this doesn't mean that it is alright. They offered them to join the confederation (meeting on the peak of the mountain) but this proposition was actually just a bait. The Neanthals would have been exploited. Notice how the other tribes are now exploited by Asa Ron and Samung. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

This reader hopes he picks taealha instead of the child tanya…. since the former is a great asset who can assist him with his dream, while the latter would not. 

Me too. Although I love the story and characters I'm worried about the love triangle. Tagon and Taealha have a good chemistry and an interesting history and dynamic so there is no need to drag Tanya between them. But even if it happens I hope they do it smartly and don't turn Tagon into a lovesick teenager and Taealha into a jealous and bitter ex-girlfriend. And if there is gonna be a Tagon/Tanya romance then I want a romance between Taealha and a hot guy as well preferably Itzrub because why not??:D I don't want my girl to be left alone. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

If one doesn’t watch this drama in peace and carefully, it is very easy to get lost and confused. Couple times, my kids distract me and i yell at them for interrupting my focus on trying to understand what everyone is saying and doing. Then i turn off the episodes and watch again when they are asleep. 

I haven’t watched GOT despite being an international user here. So i am going to watch this drama without the thought of a GOT vibe. It’s better this way too. This drama really has potential and should be seen in its original concept ;)

@bebebisous33 hi chingu! Nice to see you here too! :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Pangiaxiong said:

Sorry but Taealha girl is a two timer and annoying character to me. Don't see her as a great assest or smart manipulative person. Just my thought. 

She is a great asset because she is the the heir to the Hea tribe and Tagon needs them if he wants to be king. and one has to be smart to manipulate someone like Sanung and lead him into a trap so easily.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 5:16 PM, tiger457_stv said:

Everything is relative. A kingdom may be good or bad depending on who you ask and what circumstances. As things were and if they agreed to a nonaggression pact nothing else was required. Everyone would benefit; however, the leaders were greedy and corrupt which has lead to the atrocities we have seen. On the surface things may look good the union as they are winning and the casualties are the “others” instead of “us” , but as seen lives of people at the bottom doesn’t look good either.

The only benefits of the kingdom I see is security in case there was another strong force, that could repeat what the union has done. The tribes may have been created out of necessity; however, at least this kingdom is out of greed.

• Like 1

I guess Tagon's Mother is the Woman that we saw in the first episode when all tribes meet...Quite curious what path and choice will Mubaek will take as like the prediction he recieved was that killing the "evil one who kills his father" aka Tagon means ending the Saram's world...

Gotta love that everything about Asdal on the surface is good,genuine when in reality is greed and fake...What u see really isin't what's real indeed...

Now i'm more curious than ever to see how they deliver the grand revelation that EunSeom is the true Aramun Hessulla...Hope we'll get some awesome moments of it,that should be epic...

• Like 5

From an illegitimate son to a hero to God's messenger to God himself:D

It seems like they've been planning to take over Arthdal since they were teenagers. Well done!  I hope they give us a flashback of young Tagon and Taealha.

Tagon keeping his identity a secret for so long doesn't seem realistic esp considering he is a warrior. I'm so curious about his mother and how and why he killed her. And Sanung and a Neanthal? Weird.

Maybe if Sanung wasn't so obsessed with the prophecy and so cold to his son Tagon wouldn't have turned out like this. Both Sanung and Mihol were abusive to their motherless children and now they are paying for it. One of them is dead and the other seems to follow sooner or later.

And Wahan tribe...:tears:

• Like 5

So Tagon is really an Ingtu. I din´t believe it when other people brought it up before because I thought as a warrior he would get hurt on the battlefild and thus it would be hard for him to hide his purple blood. But now looking back, Tagon was never active during any battle. It wals always the other soldiers that were doing the work while he stayed back. 

3 hours ago, Miky88 said:

I guess Tagon's Mother is the Woman that we saw in the first episode when all tribes meet...Quite curious what path and choice will Mubaek will take as like the prediction he recieved was that killing the "evil one who kills his father" aka Tagon means ending the Saram's world...

Gotta love that everything about Asdal on the surface is good,genuine when in reality is greed and fake...What u see really isin't what's real indeed...

Now i'm more curious than ever to see how they deliver the grand revelation that EunSeom is the true Aramun Hessulla...Hope we'll get some awesome moments of it,that should be epic...

Why do you think so? 

• Like 2