[Drama 2023] Arthdal Chronicles 2, 아스달 연대기 2

marykarmelina

2 hours ago, annie1234 said:

Just 2 episodes and I'm already rooting for EunSom and Tanya. :lol: Is Tagon supposed to be the villain of the story?

Perhaps. It was said by one of the writers that "The story will be about the struggle between Ta Gon and Tae Al Ha, who have immense power, and Eun Seom and Tan Ya, who relatively have almost no power.” An important storyline will be how Eun Seom and Tan Ya grow as they fight to save the people they care for most. It's probably safe to say they are both each other's enemies, since the story focuses on these four characters.

Some characters I'm curious about is that guy with a mask, Yang Cha, Moo Baek and the yet to be revealed Igutu kid who Tagon took. 

Yang Cha - some people are commenting he might be Igutu as well esp. during their confrontation with Eun Som in ep 2, seems they are on par in terms of strength.  Aside from being obviously mysterious, there's that punishment they talked about in Ep 2. Tho I wonder why he doesn't speak and why he wears a mask. Being an Igutu is a good theory since we can't see what color his lips may be, just that why would he be with Sarams if he is. He has been described as someone Moo Baek (who I pretty much guess the strongest? of the warriors) might not win against with.

Moo Baek - from Ep 1, he seems to be the storyteller of this drama. I have a feeling he might switch sides and probably betray Ta Gon. You can see how he has his individual thoughts and how he seems to react differently than the others as if what they're doing doesn't fit right with him.

The Igutu kid okay, I was confused at first so I had to watch ep 1 again and clearly, he might be or is Eun Som's older brother. Not sure if they are twins but they are both babies during that scene. So Eun Som was with the mother while the older brother was out with his father. Ta Gon's purpose is yet to be revealed as to why he took the baby despite knowing he's an Igutu. He might come in handy for him later on, that's why he's been keeping and hiding him.So if he is indeed Eun Som's brother and was born on the same day during the Azure Comet, I wonder now if he is also somehow part of the prophecy.

Neanthals aren't wiped out completely because we still have those two kids Asa Hon and Ragaz took. I had a feeling we will get to see them later and might be of help to Eun Som and Tan Ya's battle. Not to mention we have THE horse as an amazing ally :D.

For some reason, I didn't find those brutal killings offputting, it was well executed that I actually even didn't mind coz I was just raging when they were killing the Wahans, man..those kids, I thought they will be spared but that scene where this one man fired an arrow was just...I was literally crying..and the focus on Tan Ya witnessing her people being killed and when what we can just hear is her panting voice...so epic, heartbreaking yet such an eye-opening scene for Tan Ya's character.

Edited by lightbringer06
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

If the rest of the episodes are on the level of episode 2, this will be a super blockbuster.  

Kudos to the writer for showing  how various societal issues are represented by the different tribes.  Some advocate expansion of their land and gaining dominance over others to do their bidding.  Others advocate a more agrarian society. 

Writer even included different forms of governance.  Some believe in a pyramid shape model of leadership. Others hold discussions where all members may participate. 

This is not a shallow or superficial drama.  I look forward to seeing what else the writer has in store for us. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, annie1234 said:

Just 2 episodes and I'm already rooting for EunSom and Tanya. :lol: Is Tagon supposed to be the villain of the story?

I do not think so. Rather, the Tagon will be an ambiguous character. It may even be opened deeper than EunSom.
It now seems to us that he is a villain, kills people right and left, destroys the innocent. But he, in fact, considers them savages and barbarians. And he fulfills the commission of his father ... And when he is fully aware of what is happening, he is aware of his mistakes, his consciousness can turn on its head.
Do not be surprised if closer to the final episode of Tagon and EunSom will fight side by side.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Friendly kitty said:

I do not think so. Rather, the Tagon will be an ambiguous character. It may even be opened deeper than EunSom.
It now seems to us that he is a villain, kills people right and left, destroys the innocent. But he, in fact, considers them savages and barbarians. And he fulfills the commission of his father ... And when he is fully aware of what is happening, he is aware of his mistakes, his consciousness can turn on its head.
Do not be surprised if closer to the final episode of Tagon and EunSom will fight side by side.:rolleyes:

I hope so. He is an interesting one. It will be hard to hate him if he is the villain. ONE and Jang Dong Gun potraying him will make it much harder to hate him. hahaha.

• Like 2

I actually really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Not sure where all the criticism is coming from. Feel like perhaps it's because the kdrama audience is not really accustomed to fantasy genre. But to me the cinematography is quite beautiful. A lot of the lush landscapes and locations were really eye catching. I mean compared to Hollywood productions like 10,000BC, this is much better made. I feel like the people bashing are just bashing to be netizens. 

There is a bit cognitive dissonance for me watching SJK and KJW as they are so memorable from their DOTS characters, but I think I'll get over it. Their acting itself is fine. The plot is interesting and I like that the story telling is very different from traditional kdramas.

Also ppl who keep trying to compare it to GOT must not have watched GOT at all... GOT (at least the TV show) takes a lot of its roots from medieval history. Its main themes include revenge, female empowerment, moral ambiguity, climate change.

I feel like Arthdal is more of these korean writers and producers want to talk more about the dangers of modernization (technological advances vs agrarian society), colonialism + slavery (ppl of Arth essentially taking over IARK and enslaving its people to do its low-level work) and racism (SARAM vs NEANTHAL, and then Eunsom is discriminated against because he's not considered of the same  as the SARAM). Specifically, Colonialism & slavery is such an intrinsic part of the post-WW Korean psyche, that it's not surprising at all that it's incorporated into this drama.

• Like 9

@lightbringer06 I was also confused with the igutu babies first. Yet, at the burial ceremony she said that her child was born on the Azure Comet day, hence it means that they can not be twins because she should have said, her children... Furthermore, since Rottip, the little Neanthal, said that the older brother was with Ragaz, this means that they are indeed brothers. She also confirmed it by saying that she must bring her child. She was referring to the brother taken by Ragaz. I guess, the other igutu baby must be around 10 months old. Furthermore, after a second viewing of the first episode, a detail caught my attention. We hear that Tagon had been asked to mop up the Igutus indicating that Saram and Neanthals must have mixed up together and created their own clan. 

@Miky88 @ForgottenSoulx About Aramun Haesulla: It looks like the first one came from Iark and left the Wahan Tribe. This explains why they speak the same language. The prophecy says that he will return with two voices, a Ionicera flower, The Hammer of Wind and Kanmoreu. From the start, Tagon is introduced as someone who doesn't believe in Aramun Haesulla. Remember the scene where the one from the White Mountain Tribe started saying that Tagon reminded him of Aramun Haesulla and Tagon replied that this was just a legend. Even in the second episode, he keeps saying the same. However, he knows that many people from Saram believe in Aramun Haesulla therefore I think, he will use this belief for his own interest. 

Since the legend says that he will return with two voices, I can imagine that Tagon will use Eunseom's brother as a representative of the second voice. In my opinion, Tagon plans to use the cult of Aramun Haesulla by making them believe that he is the second Aramun Haesulla. Don't forget that his return is announced. The gods knew that the Saram would become cruel and greedy that's why there is this prophecy that Aramun Haesulla will come back. We shouldn't forget that Tagon performed the Ohmissil ceremony, although he had no authority. This scene underlines that Tagon will merge these powers at some point: he will take over the Asa tribe... and act as the High priest (eliminate Asa Ron).     

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Rewatched the first 2 episodes but doesnt anyone know what happened to the other two Neathanl boys that were with the mom and Raganz, Pretty sure they were the two babies that were saved by them in ep 1 and we see both grown up in ep 2. havent heard much about them other than they probably died during the hunt? Also how they did survive the disease lol, they have to explain the love between ragaz and the mom and how they cured all 3 of them from the horse diesase.

• Like 2

Hi everyone! Long time lurker first time poster :)
I'm glad I started this drama the first two episodes were really good. I'm already invested in the story and the characters. Can't wait for the next week.

Btw In the OP there is an interesting info:

On 7/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, marykarmelina said:

Tae Ha is the last surviving Neoantal, a race different from humans

What do you think? Is this legit? If it is then she is hiding her true identity but how? She is such an intriguing character I want to know more about her.

Edited by Gumiho9
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Neunji said:

Rewatched the first 2 episodes but doesnt anyone know what happened to the other two Neathanl boys that were with the mom and Raganz, Pretty sure they were the two babies that were saved by them in ep 1 and we see both grown up in ep 2. havent heard much about them other than they probably died during the hunt? Also how they did survive the disease lol, they have to explain the love between ragaz and the mom and how they cured all 3 of them from the horse diesase.

I'm also quite curious if we'll get to her more of them and that they weren't just a cameo,would be sad...Even more when those children knew Asa Hon and Ragaz and their story and what happened in those days and what Asa Hon told Rottip about the said curse upon her and the two brothers...

I'm also curious if that dream that EUnSeom always seems to have is his or if he is chanelling his brother and sees what he does...Quite intrigued if EunSeom will be able to "dream" about his mother and see his father",if this dreams limit themselves only to the future or it can also show the past...

Hope we'll also get a glimpse of the past again and what actually happend back then when the snake(more likely Aramun in god form)came to EunSeom and looked like he was attacking him..I think he was then the reason he got magically cured...

Already anticipating the upcoming 2 episodes and when Tanya will curse them,looks like such a powerful scene...

Also i was curious since yesterday but EunSeom's pink eyes are a trademark for his Igutu lineage and all Igutu's share the same common tragemark or is just him because he is Aramun...Also how beautiful is the detail they added of the Lonicera Flower on his back(the flower that the GOD is carrying)

Yang Cha really resembles a younger Yoon Kyun Sang for me,the actor really resembles him for some reason...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Furthermore, after a second viewing of the first episode, a detail caught my attention. We hear that Tagon had been asked to mop up the Igutus indicating that Saram and Neanthals must have mixed up together and created their own clan. 

Do you mind telling me at which part it is? Where Tagon was asked?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, annie1234 said:

Its pretty obvious hes the villain and i despise him for coming up with the virus plan and fire plan so i got no sympathy for this character at all.

8 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Yang Cha - some people are commenting he might be Igutu as well esp. during their confrontation with Eun Som in ep 2, seems they are on par in terms of strength.  Aside from being obviously mysterious, there's that punishment they talked about in Ep 2. Tho I wonder why he doesn't speak and why he wears a mask. Being an Igutu is a good theory since we can't see what color his lips may be, just that why would he be with Sarams if he is. He has been described as someone Moo Baek (who I pretty much guess the strongest? of the warriors) might not win against with.

Neanthals aren't wiped out completely because we still have those two kids Asa Hon and Ragaz took. I had a feeling we will get to see them later and might be of help to Eun Som and Tan Ya's battle. Not to mention we have THE horse as an amazing ally :D.

For some reason, I didn't find those brutal killings offputting, it was well executed that I actually even didn't mind coz I was just raging when they were killing the Wahans, man..those kids, I thought they will be spared but that scene where this one man fired an arrow was just...I was literally crying..and the focus on Tan Ya witnessing her people being killed and when what we can just hear is her panting voice...so epic, heartbreaking yet such an eye-opening scene for Tan Ya's character.

I also hope those kids survived and we get to see them again, im not sure if Yang Cha is as strong because from what we saw they sort of need to activate their strength through their eyes. 

7 hours ago, Friendly kitty said:

7 hours ago, annie1234 said:

I hope so. He is an interesting one. It will be hard to hate him if he is the villain. ONE and Jang Dong Gun potraying him will make it much harder to hate him. hahaha.

It does not seem like hes a villain he is a villain his people burned kids alive and he was totally fine with it.. he came up with the virus idea and fire plan that wiped out the Neanthals. If EunSom fights alongside someone who does not value life i would be surprised. 

Its not hard for me to hate someone like him after what hes done and even if hes following his fathers will hes shown no remorse for what hes done. 

5 hours ago, Neunji said:

Im not sure if they died i got a feeling they survived and the virus worked if you touched someone or something that had the virus on so most likely those two kids did not. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

Do you mind telling me at which part it is? Where Tagon was asked?

Episode 1, 31:49

Tagon announces that he will lead the hunts now, as his father has asked him to. This declaration surprises the warriors but then the man from the White Mountain Tribe adds: "I hear your contribution was glorious in mopping up the Igutus in Arthdal. We would be honored".

So this means, when the hunt started, Tagon had a different task before he joined the Daekan forces and led them.

He "took care" of the Igutus indicating that Eunseom and his brothers were not the only ones. This would explain why Asa Hon was able to speak their language. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overall, great first two episodes and I hope the pacing, editing, and writing stays consistent throughout the series even with netizen's complaints. 

Despite people constantly pitting this show as "budget-low-quality" GoT, I see this show having more resemblance to Chinese wuxia/xianxia dramas instead with the whole "prophesied one" plot line.
I remember being surprised that a Korean drama was going to delve into traditional fantasy with world-building, something never seen before. I hope this at least encourages other writers and directors to attempt more heavy fantasy genres as there's so much you can do with it. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Episode 1, 31:49

Tagon announces that he will lead the hunts now, as his father has asked him to. This declaration surprises the warriors but then the man from the White Mountain Tribe adds: "I hear your contribution was glorious in mopping up the Igutus in Arthdal. We would be honored".

So this means, when the hunt started, Tagon had a different task before he joined the Daekan forces and led them.

He "took care" of the Igutus indicating that Eunseom and his brothers were not the only ones. This would explain why Asa Hon was able to speak their language. 

Maybe this was  mistranslated or a error because if it was Neanthals instead would make more sense or maybe what you said is right.

Article: Naver 'Arthdal Chronicles' Song Joong Ki.Kim Ji Won who grew up... the chosen ones 

1. [+4067,-877]
Am I the only one who finds this interesting? It's a little unfamiliar, but it's fresh to see such a plot in a Korean drama.... Well, I guess we have to respect individual's preference too. 

2. [+1840,-360]
I'd rather you do 'Arsenal Chronicles'.

3. [+2037,-600]
It feels as if 50 billion was invested into the 'Sanaba's Morning' skit from Gag Concert, and made into a drama~ The way they talk is like the neighborhood fools gathering together... 

4. [+892,-131]
Looks like the story has begun officially. 

5. [+997,-248] 
Yes, 'Tirano's Claws' is next. 

6. [+678,-126]
You guys have so much to say, huh? It's not like they pay you to watch this. Why do you guys have so much to say? Will your disatisfactions go away after speaking ill of it? Just watch it. It's only the 2nd episode. They have to experiment with such dramas to make progess. How long more do you want them to do birth secrets, memory lost, those morning makjang dramas, 2nd generation chaebols, Cinderella stories, and childish romcoms? Would they challenge new stuff if they are scared of viewers? If you want to criticize this, go and watch 'Bride of Habaek', and you'll be calling this high quality. 

7. [+586,-94]
Why are the reactions so negative? I find this interesting... 

8. [+468,-58]
No, but today's episode is really good.  ㅋㅋㅋㅋ  I was so immersed in the second half of the episode. 

9. [+392,-18]
The horse is so good at acting... 

chronicles2.png

Article: Naver 'Arthdal Chronicles' Kim Ji Won asks Song Joong Ki, "Were you planning to leave without a word?" 

1. [+884,-109]
I find this interesting.. The CG is a little awkward.. But there are parts where it's eye candy.. I'm tired of doctors, prosecutors, and romance between the rich and the poor stories.. I like this. 

2. [+987,-227]
This is interesting for me. Why are you guys making a fuss? 

3. [+703,-96]
When the horse that Eun Seom rode on flew in the air, I was moved. That scene was the coolest today. 

4. [+538,-83]
It's interesting, but each time I see Song Joong Ki, I get reminded of the werewolf boy and whenever I see Jang Dong Gun, I think of pirates. 

5. [+495,-115]
Today's episode is more interesting. I'm a first broadcast killer!!

6. [+177,-32]
I thought it was boring seeing so many people cursing at it. Today's episode is totally interesting. 

7. [+145,-26]
It's fun.. So much better than the first episode. I think it's going to get more interesting. 

8. [+129,-10]
The scene where he rode the horse was so cool.. I was so disappointed yesterday and thought I should drop this. But it's a good thing I watched it. I have to keep watching to know if it's good, but today's episode isn't bad. Yesterday's was too confusing. 

9. [+124,-8]
But I find this new and interesting? I think the story will expand more as it goes. Can't you guys think of this as a virtual thing and watch it? 

Some better comments so lets hope they improve over time. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Maybe this was  mistranslated or a error because if it was Neanthals instead would make more sense or maybe what you said is right.

Is there another Korean comments for episode 2? 

Actually, it would make no sense if it was an error in translation as in this scene, Tagon announces indirectly, he will be the head of Daekan forces: the military forces regrouping warriors from different tribes: Asan, White Mountain Tribe. If he had been tasked to get rid of the Neanthals, why would he announce it now and surprise them? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, it would make no sense if it was an error in translation as in this scene, Tagon announces indirectly, he will be the head of Daekan forces: the military forces regrouping warriors from different tribes: Asan, White Mountain Tribe. If he had been tasked to get rid of the Neanthals, why would he announce it now and surprise them? 

Uhm you are right so i guess hes double evil he wiped out Igutus as well. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Tagon announces that he will lead the hunts now, as his father has asked him to. This declaration surprises the warriors but then the man from the White Mountain Tribe adds: "I hear your contribution was glorious in mopping up the Neanthals in Arthdal. We would be honored".

To me this makes more sense considering he came up with the idea which wiped out the Neanthals so why wouldnt he lead the hunt now? 

On the other hand, we shouldn't forget that the men knew what an igutu is... if there had been no other igutu babies before, how would they come up with this name? Remember that a name is tied to something. Furthermore, Tagon knew how to recognize an igutu quite immediately. That's why I have been thinking Asan Hon and Ragaz were not the first couple.

• Like 2