Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

14 hours ago, mouse007 said:

I finally was able to watch the final episode of TSYB and I must say it did not disappoint. I loved that it ended in the same style that it began - light, lovely and just fun to watch. 

I thought it was lovely to see YB be so different from how he was in the earlier episodes where he was arrogant, impatient and self-centered. In the last episodes (especially the final episode), we see the complete opposite of all that. He was happy and content being on the island with KS, away from all the limelight. He was patient and understanding when she asked that they wait at least a year to get married so she can pursue her own dreams. He showed humility in how he spoke to those reporters, he was patient in answering their questions and not rude like how he was before. I even like that he didn't hesitate to help KJ when he asked for a cameo. Even when he was making his way to the awards ceremony, he didn't mind driving himself since his manager was having a diarrhea attack.  It's like YB had always been a good person but built this wall around him to protect himself and KS broke down that wall and helped the good in him to come out. 

I also actually liked that until the end, we don't really see YB and his mom fully reconciling. I think this is more realistic considering all the hurt he's endured because of her. Their relationship had been frayed for many years so we can't expect them to just mend it that quickly. 

One of the best scenes in the final episode for me was when KS disguised herself to see him and she embarrasses herself by unknowingly interrupting a scene and then bumping into a van. She attracted the notice of those reporters and just the way YB handled the situation, you could see how much he loved her. YB was all about his image and his "top star" reputation and in that scene there was no hint of embarrassment from him at all. He was concerned for her and was even proud to call her his girlfriend. I also love the way he answered those reporter's questions about her.

I wish there were more than 11 episodes.:love:

Episode 5- it is exactly same as the first episode- it dawn on me that Yoobaek is a tortured or tragic pure soul that was covered with so many thorns and misunderstandings. It is most moving and turning point. The island life helped him realise the pain of others so he could heal himself. He actually has a good heart earlier on. He put up the wall consciously. He was so careful and calculating. Now in episode five, we entered his world; his private world- a private pain no one could imagine. It is filled with betrayal (fans poisoned him), misunderstanding (his mom), and mourning (death of his father). Het was so lonely. Everyone misunderstood him making him even more sad. He hid it with anger and rudeness. The thing is that, the public build him that way. What do we want from the celebrities or anyone under spotlight? They couldn't be themselves. The public want someone handsome, smart, or anyone with perfect image. If there is flaw, they will be scorned. The CEO realised first but too late. Namjoo became instrumental later on. His mother was the instrumental and fated to hurt him but it is a painful fate and destiny for yoobaek to understand love and healing through Oh Kangsoon and the Island people. Kangsoon was bind to him with painful fate. Their true love requires a lot of sacrifice, realisation, and pain. It makes them love each other even more with happiness. It gives you deep thought about how we judge others, and we should look into inner soul rather than outer image. Jiseok painfully and masterfully showed the difference. It is one of the most powerful message that shocked me to the core when we entered into his eyes, his heart, and his soul. We saw his pain, his mother, and hurting himself. His cries, his way of hiding pain that no one could see. He masked it with anger. That was heartbreaking. Because I experienced that. I have to deal with that with my deafness. People always look and judge me by my speech, my intelligence, and all kinds of things. It became my stigma. They tried to define me. I had high and lows. I had a good and supportive parents but they tend to worry all the time. I had to go to mainstream school for being only deaf around. I was struggling but I learned to put the walls around me to protect myself. No matter how people think of me, I had to pretend to see them have good views on me. I spend a lot of growing up trying to prove everyone wrong. I didn't have time or forgot to do what I really love to do or what I really love. I was a bright bubbly girl who turned into aloof. I am not trying to share my pity story, but it is such a lonely world to try to plan your life around. Yoobaek was so alone to plan everything. I don't have Yoobaek's great heart and talents that he did all of these things to provide and protect his mom. HIs wall of privacy is to protect his mom. He didn't want the public to think badly of his mom. So he hid it all, and it just made it worse and worse. He is such a great soul and met a great yet charming soul, Oh Kangsoon. Kangsoon also gained something from Yoobaek. The diary of her exam entrance was one of the source of her fear and pain. She became braver, and stronger with Yoobaek as her safe harbour in harsh world. She was able to get through and make some friends who appreciates her tastes and mannerism. Kangsoon and Yoobaek shines more brightly together more than apart. 

Not only Kangsoon saved him, everyone saved him in both places; Seoul and Island: 

Grandma and Kangsoon lost their love ones (Kangsoon's parents)- Grandma was the one who didn't give up Yoobaek. She just give love and care for someone since it is a small island. Seeing new people excites her. She may have seen him as her son she lost long time ago. She is just like many other mothers- all about tough love, and not giving up. 

Madol- unrequited love- letting Kangsoon go and treating Yoobaek with respect (Namjoo is big part of it) Madol saved both Yoobaek and Kangsoon when he decided to let her go. 

CEO- gave up his life and gambled everything for Yoobaek's success. Took place of his father who passed away. 

Namjoo- his competitor but later on became the person who understood him the most and the only one who knows the truth about him. 

Dongman- the kid gave wise lessons to Yoobaek to win his true love. DM experienced the love of his parents, he saw that in Yoobaek and Kangsoon. 

Many more.. everyone is symbolic to his life, his heart, and his soul. 

It is a great and healing drama. I felt that ending is too rushed. I wish they could give us more kiss between Yoobaek and Kangsoon. All of their kisses are too short or covered with sunlight or etc. Their kisses are so sweet, romantic, and even heart fluttering. Their chemistry makes them best partners. In real life, Jiseok is like male version of Somin. I thought they are exactly the same. I'd like to see them to work together again. They are so much fun to watch together.

I think the drama didn't deserve the low ratings. It has to do with time slot. A lot of Koreans posted in IG that they were watching Yoobaek on following day or during reruns. The reruns and viewing online is higher than showing live. 

The drama is touching and wholesome. I wish the last episode will show us now he will bring Grandma to visit his mom, and ask her to move with her to island so his mom can heal and support herself in island. His mother already suffered enough. So it will allow Kangsoon and Yoobaek to continue to chase after their big dreams together. I wish they show us their wedding- country style meets seoul elite. =) I wanted to see his mom's reaction to meet a country girl with weird accent and charming demeanour to be impressed but sort of confused. She really doesn't seem to be type a guy like Yoobaek will fall his heels over and get swept over. It will be cute and funny. Grandma will be scrambling whole lots of eggs for Yoobaek in their apartment when she comes to visit him in Seoul. The ending is bit rushed for me. I wish they would walk hand in hand after clubbing overnight that they will walk towards the sunlight to catch the boat to Island. Then give us a long kiss in the boat on the way to island. =) So we could let them go. I think their kisses are really beautiful but too short. =( They have a great chemistry and comedic chops. It is best quality drama in terms of plot, deep message behind, great cast, and most of all the chemistry of Jiseok and Somin. I couldn't believe their chemistry is so good. 

Can we imagine Soon-Baek's wedding? 

It would be chaotic because of two different worlds clashed together. =) The two worlds would be judging each other but later one when there is music, there will become one. =) Music is universal language. =)

Netizens reviews about Yoobaek is sweet. There are a lot of good reviews. We also all wondered where are people not being able to see the amazing drama! I think time slot is one of the problem. 

However I also saw some comments that netizens even want to re watch the drama over and over again. I just started re watch it and still can't get over with it. Be still my heart, I moved to IG, ahhh. 

Hope you are all with me. =) SUPPORT DVD survey to increase demand for the DVD and unlimited BTS scenes of their kisses i hope. Recommend your friends even better if your friends are Korean to watch that drama! 

Edited by Christina Leong
corrections 3
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

@Christina Leong Pls Don’t post consecutively within an hour . Edit to add your previous post . If the post gets too Long , you can put in spoiler button . It’s the button with The Eye . Thanks  ( I have merged your previous posts ) 

_____

Edited by triplem
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

This one has a more translations about the interview...the kisses, the chemie with JSM...shippers might be a little disappointed :D

slide to read

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Did he really say they were hungry like the fans? Like hungry for hot kisses? I don't know if that's what he meant, but I'm going to assume it is cause that's awesome B)

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I forgot this, but I read on naver knetizens mention on Running Man a year ago Jeon Somin drew a sea urchin, who knew she'd be linked with it in her drama, sea urchin Yoobaek. Also since Kim Jiseok mentioned in his exit interviews his bff Ha Seokjin starred with Somin in 1% of Something, some TSYB fans are watching it now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am watching the last episode and I've just realized that Joon So Min is not the only one who was in dramas with both Kim Ji Suk and Ha Suk Jin. Joo Hee Bong's (Yoo Baek's agency CEO) last drama was Your House Helper. I feel like his relationship with the male lead was somewhat similar.

• Like 4

The interview might disappoint the shippers....

Click the hidden contents after you read the interview... it is my opinion and theory. =)

Spoiler

The thing is that, everyone especially actors have to be careful of what to say to avoid scandal. Sometimes the movie or drama chemistry is too good that it is almost close to dating in real life rumour, it is safe and normal for the actors to distance themselves with their co stars. The thing is that, the way I see, Jiseok is trying to get everyone to focus on Yoobaek and Kangsoon rather than Jiseok and Somin.

Usually actors distance with their partners for a month or two to get out from their character, and consider their feelings. They meet up again and get to know each other. The feelings will become real.

The thing is that, Jiseok and Somin are so similar and so much fun to see their interactions. They have similar aura. They seem to have same humour, warmth, affection, and creativity. They share exactly same variety persona; psycho but cute. I have no doubt that they will like each other very much or become best friends. 

I think Jiseok decided to distant himself from Somin because their drama chemistry is too strong. He is giving Somin's a space and time to consider her feelings. I think he is distancing himself so he could see real Somin. He'll enjoy her personality. Who doesn't? Hehehe. Ha Seokjin and Somin often meet up together with their team to eat and hang out.

I believe it is rule of thumb for actors to distant themselves when their movie or drama chemistry is too strong. He is doing consideration for himself and Somin to return to their true self and true feelings. Then they will see what will happen. 

If actors dated too quickly after the drama or movie ended, it will end disastrous in real life because they didn't know what is their real self or not. Usually they break up faster than the news will come out. It is rare to see successful one. I have some of it. However, most actors started to fall in love after they spend time apart. 

The thing is that, he confessed quickly that Han Se Yuel is his type. He is trying to get the viewers to draw in his drama with her. It started to pique a lot of interests. The kiss are amazing! I still love Jiseok and Somin pair so much. I couldn't watch 1 percent of anything and 20th century boy and girl same way again. I just re watch Top Star Yoobaek over again. =) Be still my heart! =)

8 hours ago, topstarubdvd said:

I forgot this, but I read on naver knetizens mention on Running Man a year ago Jeon Somin drew a sea urchin, who knew she'd be linked with it in her drama, sea urchin Yoobaek. Also since Kim Jiseok mentioned in his exit interviews his bff Ha Seokjin starred with Somin in 1% of Something, some TSYB fans are watching it now.

I am fan of Somin from Running Man. I love her out of world personality and creativity especially with role plays. But when I was looking through IG with Yoobaek hashtag, I saw a lot of kisses from one percent of something and 20th century boy and girl all over the place before Jiseok and Somin kissed. It took so long to see them kiss. So everyone is pretty much relieving their angst looking at the kisses from both dramas. We were so hungry for Yoobaek and Kangsoon's kisses! Finally made it last two episodes. It is so good. 

Somin drew sea urchin-- gave the role to Ji Seokjin. (oh dear-- Ji Seokjin is like combination of Kim Jiseok and Ha Seokjin). 

However, after watching Top Star Yoobaek, I couldn't watch one percent and 20th century drama same way ever again. My heart goes to Soon-Baek couple.

I wanted to apologise again to the staff or moderator for this thread for not be able to merge my comments. I really don't know how to merge and delete the rest of the comments. I will try to remember again. My apologies. 

Edited by Christina Leong
Spoilers2
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, Christina Leong said:

wanted to apologise again to the staff or moderator for this thread for not be able to merge my comments. I really don't know how to merge and delete the rest of the comments. I will try to remember again. My apologies. 

I recommend to just add to your previous post what you wanted to say if you happen to have more to say within an hour . If after more than an hour , you may put a new post .

———

More translations from the article 

Awww he was so encouraged by viewers comments 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I have news, good & bad. i'm in contact with a korean fan who is part of the dvd demand survey promotion daum cafe team. bad news is they have no leader to take charge and basically be the contact between tvn and the promotion team to organize and keep them up to date, they need to find a leader. they also had a problem finding a leader when helping with the wrap party.

the good news is TSYB PD did exit interviews, and mentioned season 2's possibility if the actors and crew are willing and if the writers have a good story, since they never planned/expected to do season 2, tvn is open to the idea. Gist of what the PD mentioned: KJS cried a lot after the last filming, he really put his all into it and was a perfectionist, praised JSM for natural acting talent and going without makeup as OKS which isn't easy for an actress, LSY's CMD character was loved as much by viewers as YB was. Even though the ratings weren't great, the positive response from viewers gave them a lot of encouragement. He talked about kiss scenes, he's not into adult kisses, but pure love, so that explains his directing style. The attic kiss, KJS and JSM took charge basically. After the proposal, JSM kicking her shoes off on the sofa was ad-lib. btw some of the staff became a couple, spending a lot of time together on the island was romantic.

sources:

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20190201140005869

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20190201140103931?f=m

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20190201140202957?f=m

you can try papago naver translator, i find it does a better job than google sometimes

https://papago.naver.com/

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

So Director-nim had an interview (there are 3 articles) and it seems like he wants a Season 2 too? Let's see if this ever happens, I like that it's not totally out of the question! He has high praises for the actors, especially KJS and JSM, so heartwarming to see that they're all close. It was nice that those two had quite a bit of say in their scenes, and looks like they took their ideas and ran with it. One thing though, seems like Director is a fan of 'analog romance' (innocent pure love?) hence we didn't get any particularly steamy kisses. Director-nim, if we get a Season 2 could you please reconsider your thoughts? :lol:

Presenting translations of the day. They're not too bad:

Spoiler

Top star Yoo Baek-yi' PD "Spring 2 Prospects 有 If only the actors and actresses are involved"[EN: Interview1]

Although they failed to achieve enormous performance in terms of viewer ratings, the audience's satisfaction was great. "Top Star Yoo Baek" was also loved as a "healing drama" and achieved a significant performance among its most popular competitors. 

TVN's "Top Star Yoo Baek-i" (played by Lee Shi-eun/played by Kim Ji-seok) is a movie about a "civilistic clash" in which top star Yoo Baek (played by Kim Ji-seok) meets his girlfriend Oh Gang-sun (played by Jeon So-min) on the island of Slow Life. It was aired around 11 p.m. on Friday when the competition was fierce, but it was loved by viewers. The ratings of the two percent (based on the national standard of the Nielsen Korea paid platform), however, the opposite was true of the ratings.

Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan, who directed the production of "Top Star Yoo Baek-i," talked to Newsen at his home in Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul on Sunday. He said, "The hearing rate is too bad. "The ratings people officially evaluate are ratings," he said. "It's not just words, it's a good response." More than the result, the feedback came. She also admitted to TVN. "Even with the ratings of 5 percent, there are still quiet dramas, and I often watch "Top Star Yoo Baek-yi" again," he said with a smile. 

In fact, 'Top Star Yoo-yi' was not a lucky drama. It is a time when MBC's "I Live Alone" has been in full swing for a long time, and JTBC's "SKY Castle" has become a hit. Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan, however, was more interested in the audience's desire for Season 2, rather than thinking about the competition. 

I am so happy to be remembered as a drama loved by people. Just the comments on why it's over and why it's good to have a season. I was really worried. I thought actors might feel depressed because viewership is important. I've noticed a lot. Kim Ji-seok cried out as soon as the last shooting was over, and I thought he'd put a lot of effort into it. When people call me after shooting, I think it's a good thing to see them."

In fact, "Top Star" viewers are raising their voices for Season 2. It was a happy ending for the main characters Yoo Baek (played by Kim Ji-seok) and Oh Kang-soon (played by Jeon So-min), but he wants to see more of these "healing dramas." What can be done only when the production staff and actors work together? Was producer Lee thinking about this? 

"It wasn't a drama that I made with the thought of season two," he said. "The viewers are worried about season two. Season 2 for Season 2. It is important to save the points you liked in season 1. I am considering whether I have an idea. "If I and the writers find such things, it's ok for the company," he said. Finding stories with us and writers is a priority. The actors are satisfied. "I want to do whatever form they want unless they abandon me," she added with a smile. 

At the same time, he Because there were viewers who loved "Top Star Yoo-yi," they could make plans for the second season. He said, "It was so helpful. It was good that the comments encouraged me. I wanted to convey my intention of planning well, but I was appalled by your love of that point. It was helpful and rewarding."

Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan said, "I hope you can promote it a little more." I think we're seeing each other again. As a viewer, I was touched by the drama. "Top Star Yoo Baek" is also so popular that I hope the actors know how to work. I don't just giggle, laugh, or be moved, but I hope that actors' efforts will shine more as many people get to know."

Spoiler

Yu Baek-chan, producer of the program, said, "All So-min's bare face shooting. I saw a celebrity at the party."[EN: Interview2]

Producer-turned-director Yoo Baek-yi attributed all the credit he received to the actors. Kim Ji-seok, who went on a diet, Jeon So-min, who took photos without makeup on, and Lee Sang-yeop, Kimura's Madori. He showed affection by mentioning the names of the actors. 

"I've proposed a sudden lightning strike today," said producer Yoo Baek-i of TVN's "Top Star" (published by Lee Si-eun (previously known as Lee Sang-am-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul) who met with Newsen at a place in Seoul on January 31. He added a smile to the joke, "I don't even treat you to go." 

Producer and main actors are not very different in age. I heard that the story worked well throughout the shoot. That's why it's so empty. "(Kim) Ji-seok left the troublemaker for a few months, and So-min also played the "running man." The skin condition is important for actors. "It wouldn't have been easy to move back and forth," he said. 

Jeon So-min, who plays the main female character, stood in front of the camera bare-faced for "Top Star Yoo-bak." Since she played the role of an island girl, her skin was not white and her dark makeup was impossible. The decision was made to save the character. "I didn't know much about women's makeup, but I knew the difference during the last performance," said producer Lee Hak-chan. There was someone like Jeon So-min walking in. It was so pretty. "You're an entertainer," she smiled. 

"I didn't think I was considerate that day," he said. My skin was so white when I watched it for the first time. So it was darker. "The most natural and dark side is what I see in "top star Yoo Baek"," he said. "I listened to her as well as well. I could have done an X there." It`s an idea-rich actor. When I was filming a god with a wart, I thought I was born. There is something strange, too, said actor Jeon So-min. 

Then, what about Kim Ji-seok in the set of "Top Star Yoo-yi"? Kim Ji-seok even tried to lose weight in making a body for the film. Producer Kim Ji-seok, who studied abroad, described Kim as a "perfectist." "I was surprised at the first shooting. It's so serious. "I didn't have a word to say because I joined the movie," he said. "I was an actor who hit a lot of fun and had wit. After the last shooting, I came back to Kim Ji-seok. It feels like I finished preparing for the college entrance exam. "I'm back in that mode," she said with a smile. 

There were also stories about Kim Ji-seok's exposure scene. "I thought I was going to make it, but I've made Lee So-ryong's abs," he said. "You don't have to peel it off. Don't you want to? I took it off on purpose. "I didn't know it would be that much," said Bihind. 

Lee even gave Lee the nickname "Kimura Madori." Lee plays Choi Mar-dol, who loves Oh Kang-soon (Jeon So-min). Although he is a male sub-mainstream character, he is not a character hated by viewers at all. The man who is loved as much as Yoo-baek (Kim Ji-seok) is Choi Ma-dol. In the last episode, he drew a romance with Nambo-ra and received a happy ending. 

"Lee Sang-yeop was called 'Kimura Madori.' The melodrama look should be the talk of the town. "It's a bit disappointing," he said. "Please use it. "I'm sorry, Sangyeop," he added, revealing his affection for Lee Sang-yeop and Choi Ma-dol.

Spoiler

"Kim Ji-seok, former So-min kiss scene, cut it too real" [EN: Interview3]

Producer-in-chief Yoo Baek-yi revealed the behind-the-scenes story. From Kim Ji-seok and Jeon So-min's kiss scenes to the staff couple who were born in Daemodo. The behind story was as interesting as the story of the drama. 

After finishing the TVN drama "Top Star Yoo Baek-i" (written by Lee Si-eun/played by Lee Sang-am-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul), the producer of the drama, Lee Hak-chan, met with Newsien at a place in Seoul's Sangam-dong on January 31. Top star Yoo Baek-yi ran an all-location shoot in Daemodo, an hour away from Wando. That's why there are so many memories and episodes. Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan recalled what happened in Daemodo on the day. 

How did Daemodo become the next most urgent choice for top star Yoo Baek-i? "There are many beautiful areas, but there are many modern ones," said producer Lee Hak-chan. There's an island that I gave up because it didn't match our synopsis concept. The shooting itself was impossible because there were places like analog and old villages. "I was looking for an island that would be a compromise, and that's exactly how it felt," she said. "It's been about a year since we did our research and shoot, but now I have asphalt." If the shooting had been delayed by one year, it would not have been a place to meet. 

After a long time shooting in Daemodo, there were many difficulties. Both eating and sleeping were different from usual places. Of course, there are couples who are created by such circumstances. "It was difficult for me to sleep outside of bed," said producer Lee Hak-chan. But I love young men and women because they have been together for a long time. Even if you don't want to see it, you have to watch it. We have to eat together. "It is an island where there was romance," she said with a smile. 

The love between Yoo-baek (played by Kim Ji-seok) and Oh Kang-soon (played by Jeon So-min) in "Top Star Yoo-baek" was also born there. Therefore, their romance is naturally depicted in Daemodo. According to Kim Ji-seok, he also tried to capture the beautiful scenery and kiss scenes of Daemodo with the staff. When asked about this, the producer of the program said, "Direction was nothing but a camera walk." 

"(Kim) Ji-seok and (Jeon) So-min all came up with the idea. There are many scenes like adult kisses and adult melodies. I don't really like that kind of kiss scene. Especially, the scene that I filmed in Haneul Park is a scene that confirms love to each other, but I wanted to revive analog romance. I wanted to talk about pure love. The actual shooting is more realistic."

"In the attic, when should I cut ?" said producer Kim Ji-seok. It didn't hang up. "They did it all," he said. "There is a god who goes to the sofa after receiving a proposal at the last meeting. At that time, So-min threw his shoes at the ad-lib. "The back was more fun, but I cut it off for an analog romance," he said, adding, "I was curious. 

Last but not least, producer of the program, Yoo Baek-i, announced his future plans. She has produced not only dramas such as "Reply 1988" and "Ahn-soo Boy," but also entertainment programs such as "Candy in My Ear" and "Albatross." He said, "I'm a hard worker. Now, I want to play "Top Star Yoo-bak" season 2. There are always many things I want to do. 

He added, "The reason why TVN gives young producers opportunities is that it can create a resolution drama that the production team of ordinary dramas can't do." Shin Won-ho, the producer of the "Reply Me" series, also challenged him in other ways. Young TVN producers make unusual preparations. It pushes performance manager's headquarters is Lee Myung Han, if I can't. This year and next year. "We can even go bankrupt," he said. "We have increased expectations by announcing other new contents. 

Edit to add: @topstarubdvd Thanks for all your effort! I added the translations here and just saw your post.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

As an international fan, I wish I could somehow contribute to their ratings to make them feel better! It seems there are a lot of dramas (esp Rom coms) that don't get high ratings but are beloved by int'l viewers. I hope they know how much we love TSYB! Season 2 would be fantabulous. I think their biggest obstacle would be with plot. I've been trying to think of a good plot for a season 2 but so far haven't come up with much. My problem is I'd be happy just to watch them together no matter what they were doing haha. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe we could somehow pass it onto the writers to encourage them :D

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Love to you both @tibba @topstarubdvd. Thanks so much for The articles , the translations gives us some hope for season 2. I’m not holding my breath but it’s just nice to know it’s not been written off .if rude ms young ae can have so many Seasons ( I think one of the writers also wrote TSYB) , this show can too especially if domestic viewers are so supportive. But like what @turtlegirl says , the script needs to be as sharp. If not I’d rather them reunite in a different project 

hmmm so dearest director cut off all the hot kisses eh ?  Should I throw potatoes? :D. Analog romance - that cracked me up 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Well... to think about top star yoobaek, 

the plot and twist will be hard to think about but there are things we would like to see that will come to contribute to build a plot.... click hidden content to see the list of things that could be possible for Yoobaek 2. 

Spoiler

- memories of Soon-baek wedding- chaotic and clash of cultures and worlds. 

- yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom-- possible a twist or funny twist will come around like how grandma misunderstood yoobaek's eunuch prolbem. 

- identity of mystery cupid- why is he part of the story. I still could not connect him to the moral aspects of the whole story. It is still a mystery. I analysed several times but i still wonder the link of this cupid. 

- Madol- Dr Hae-won's dating- I was thinking that Madol may hit another obstacle that he may not get approval of her parents or Hae won got accepted to grad school for medicine. She had to figure out whether she can stay with Madol or leave to pursue her studies. Madol will face obstacle whether to follow her or wait for her behind. They may break up briefly. Madol will go series of weird blind dates or funny dates like how they set up a guy with Kangsoon and Haewon. Fishes of the sea- to relate Madol's gentleman-like aura to attract many wonderful yet weird fishes of the sea. It will be interesting and funny to meet different women he would set up with. But Haewon and Madol shared very strong attraction. The thing is that, they are entirely different people. Madol is more like Kangsoon while Haewon is like Yoobaek-- she is neurosurgeon. Madol will think about advancing his career. It will take a while for him to figure his path with her. It will be interesting plot for them. To have Yoobaek and Kangsoon involved, it will be setting up hilarious string of blind dates competing with Madol's  mom. However, Yoobaek may give advice to Madol, and it would go hilariously wrong (dating eunuch). Kangsoon will be the one to correct or balance it. Madol is still inexperienced. I would love to see funny bromance between Yoobaek and Madol. 

- Kangsoon wanted to have family- however she had to hold back or have infertility problem. That will give setbacks and it would be her journey to overcome it with Yoobaek and Island's love. A lot of women in society are suffering from that. It would give example for another healing journey for Kangsoon to face as a married woman. It also give challenge to men like Yoobaek to deal with it too. 

- Grandma will learn more about Yoobaek through his mother. She will help to heal both Yoobaek and his mom too. In return, it could heal her pain and trauma for losing her son and daughter in law in the sea. However, she gains not only Kangsoon, also a grandson in law, and his mom. It would be such a meaningful meeting between them to understand and heal each other. I would love to see grandma cooking all kinds of food for yoobaek when she visits him in Seoul. Especially the return of scrambled eggs! 

- I would love to see more lovey dovey kisses and bickering between our beloved Soon-Baek couple. =) 

Jiseok is very kind and affectionate guy. He is very very very considerate of Somin in his interview. He denied the dating rumour with somin out of consideration whether they are dating someone else or not. They are not there to talk about their dating news. They want people to focus on their drama not their personal life. However,  his emotions and interactions with Somin tells me how he felt comfortable around her without realising that he could have a lot of interest in her. He is working on separating himself from Yoobaek and Somin from Kangsoon. It is quite too early for us shippers. =) 

I really hope we are able to resolve with leadership for DVD survey. They said the comments by netizens will make a big difference. So any of you have Korean friends-- give them heads up to send them comments as possible. =) I hope for the best!

Analog Romance-- pure love-- cutting off most of the kisses-- I would throw potatoes too. That is probably reason why the ratings were low. Viewers are not really that innocent. Haha. I saw that viewership went up when Jiseok and Somin kiss. The first two was a bait. Then small peck. And whole another long angst. Kangsoon's rejection on Yoobaek. It started to tire out the viewers to wait until episode 9 for the beautiful kiss but to be blocked by sunlight. I was like really trying to feel the heart fluttering kiss. It was so good but there comes sunlight-- oh dear. The BTS shows better view of their deep kiss. It was so good! Oh dear. It gets better in episode 10 but it was brutal one week wait. We don't even know whether they would kiss. And it was a surprise! Then episode 11-- viewers know and want to see pure love and kisses of Soon-baek coupele. It is kind of rushed to cram everything in one episode. I hope to see the proposal kiss longer. They cut it too short. The thing is that, they would have been voted for best kiss at least despite low ratings. 

Somin and Jiseok did a great job to build the chemistry to fulfil what the director wants, so much for cutting kissing scenes to make it more like pure love. I think it is mixed up with the idea of pure love versus true love. They did an amazing job. Viewers can feel it even though they kept on giving us kiss baits! =) 

So much hope for Yoobaek 2. However, I would rather to see Jiseok and Somin in another drama where they have director who does not cut off or ask them to tone down their long kiss scenes!!! haha. 

Jiseok mentioned that he and Somin had to balance the intensity of kiss versus what the director ask them to do. You can really tell the sky park kiss, proposal kiss, and attic kiss-- is more of them two. The director choose the angle (mostly showing their backs), covered with window and went outside. Hehe. However, the kisses are intense despite what the director really ask for. I wish the director would give us better angle. But it is all shooting at their backs mostly. Jiseok and Somin had to use a lot of hand movements while we tried to look at their kisses. We saw good grasp of their kiss. It is really good but could have been better if we can see more of it. =) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I am not that keen on another season. Actually, I am more curious about their next projects. TSYB, though with low ratings, seems to be loved by its audience and I think it must have helped them to strengthen their position. All the actors could portray a different side of them. OKS's satoori, humour and the effort she took to portray the character such as not holding back in anything will benefit her I think. I hope the leads will get a variety of projects now. I think Somin does two dramas per year though this may depend on the project available to her. The shooting was really hard and I think she is going to appear on the second season of Michuri also so her break could be a little longer. KJS, JSM and LSY are all talented actors and I really hope that they will get the deserved attention and fame.

• Like 5

On 1/29/2019 at 4:51 AM, Christina Leong said:

I am so happy that you felt the same way I did. I was dying here too. Wah!!!

I love love love Jiseok-Somin pair and their chemistry. I cannot cannot cannot believe that they no longer have any more episodes. Made me so sad. Season two will be wonderful but I wish they could ADD more episodes-- More about yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom along with Grandma and Kangsoon. I wanted to see the wedding of Yoobaek and Kangsoon to see them falling in love even more than ever. I wanted to see how Yoobaek respects Kangsoon and loves everything about her. I love how they bicker. I love how Kangsoon loves Yoobaek for who he really is, and she is making him realise it. 

Yoobaek's journey is very close to my heart. I have struggled a lot with my deafness and moving all over the place. I have a lot of emotional instability dealing with situation. It took me a long time to heal myself because of what happened in the past. That is why it is a very special drama. When he talked and acknowledged people from the village, it is a powerful and heartfelt message. The whole drama focus on inner soul, not outer image. 

The beginning of drama talked about the viewer point of view. It was very difficult to watch. Jiseok did a great job to embody the great exaggeration of narcissism behaviour. It is we see others around us especially celebrities or anyone under spotlight. Jiseok did a great job of portraying in that point of view. He is such a fine fine fine and great actor. They continue his behaviour from Seoul to the Island. He still continue to behave the same way but what is big difference is how the island people see him for the first time. They started to see his rude behaviour but they always see through it. They look at his strengths: his looks and what he wears. His personality is more like oddity or out of the world to them. Island people don't really judge but they tend to meddle other people's business. 

Madol is a very interesting character. He is perfect in the beginning and even more perfect in the end. In between, his flaw started to show. It was not very flattering of him trying to force on Kingston's feelings to manipulate to his own to make her believe rather than realise about love. Madol also have very pure heart. He just too naive. He saw Yoobaek crestfallen face when he thought they were getting married. In that way, Madol realised the true love. Yoobaek and Kangsoon showed their pain of being apart and making decision to make others happy. Madol decided to save Kangsoon by letting her go to save Yoobaek. Because if Yoobaek dies, Kangsoon's world will be crushed. She would never ever know how to love again, even towards Madol. She will give up marriage and become spinster. He realised that Yoobaek is her other half. He felt the pains of her cries at the sea looking for the man she loves. Namjoo was instrumental part of helping Madol to make a decision. He didn't know Yoobaek too well until he heard the truth. He started to see Yoobaek a new light. In return, Yoobaek took Madol as an example of a great gentleman when Madol told them not to mind him and he approves of their relationship. He is willing to be friends with Yoobaek for Kangsoon's sake. It sent Madol free from unrequited love. His heart is free already and when he met the doctor, his heart was so free to find his true love and true happiness. Kangsoon doesn't deserve Madol. He doesn't deserve to have someone who is forced to love him even though he confessed to her. 

I love the healing journey Kangsoon and Yoobaek which covered the last two episodes. I felt it is too rushed. It is the best part of the drama. I love the part when Kangsoon held Yoobaek's hands to comfort him from the pain in the past that cause him to become so angry and sad. She said something that is true about yoobaek all along. He is a great person even from the beginning. She respects him even more and falling in love with him even more. Their primitive attraction is amazing icing to a cake. It was so far the most romantic couple I have ever loved. 

I really love the chemistry of two great and tender souls of Kim Jiseok and Jeon Somin. Jiseok is a great actor with great sense of humour and warm heart. He is so outgoing and so affectionate. He is so bright and talkative. He is really smart. He called himself psycho but cute. And I felt that he met his match or female version of him; Jeon Somin. Somin's personality was shown in Running man. She was so bright, brave, and funny. She is very witty and very poetic. She loves arts, poem, and creative stuff. She is even crazy. Running man consider her as their show's psycho. She has warm and affectionate  personality and demeanour. You can see that how she treated Kwangsoo. She is so warm and so sweet. She loves to talk. I was like, what it would be like to have them together as a couple. They nailed it on and off screen in top star yoobaek. Their chemistry makes them great partners. I really like to see them together again in future dramas or variety together. I love top Star Yoobaek because of them, and the healing journey that is very close to my heart. I hope they will extend the drama. Season two is a must. 

I will comment on Madol's determination to first marry Kangsoon. I felt that he was being a bigger person by letting her go. As I think I've said, I thought he was extremely selfish by forcing KS to marry him and tying her down. But I think him slowly recognizing that "if you love something, let it go" was the true philosophy from his side of the story-and I think it's not portrayed in a lot of dramas today. 

I agree that the last two episodes felt super rushed and I didn't like it that it was in rapid speed. I hope that if season 2 does come (please do...) that it provides more than just a fast forward of what entirely happened in the time period that we missed.

And I agree that everyone played the fantastically well, I was absorbed in the drama for a good few days (actually still under withdrawal). I haven't brought myself to watch the special episode or any BTS yet but I'll get there... 

I personally love your insight by the way! I agree that I found the narcissism quite funny when the islanders keep pushing it aside and ask him to sit down and eat, totally ignoring his looks of disgust in some ways. I will say that I enjoyed YB's storyline quite a lot and the character development has been A CHANGE, to say the least. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, akiera said:

I am not that keen on another season. Actually, I am more curious about their next projects. TSYB, though with low ratings, seems to be loved by its audience and I think it must have helped them to strengthen their position. All the actors could portray a different side of them. OKS's satoori, humour and the effort she took to portray the character such as not holding back in anything will benefit her I think. I hope the leads will get a variety of projects now. I think Somin does two dramas per year though this may depend on the project available to her. The shooting was really hard and I think she is going to appear on the second season of Michuri also so her break could be a little longer. KJS, JSM and LSY are all talented actors and I really hope that they will get the deserved attention and fame.

The thing is that, despite tough shooting between the island and the city according to their schedule, I think they may have another way to handle the shooting schedule. They may spend little time in Island and more time in Seoul for shooting since Kangsoon has moved on to city to pursue her studies. I heard after the ending of the shooting, the island will begin to do renovation and development. SO if they have season two, the accommodation will be readily available. Season 2 will be a challenge due to location and weather. A budget posed a problem too since they have to provide travel and accommodation for whole team, casts, and staffs.  

However you mention about being curious about their next projects, I was more interested seeing them working again together in the future. They have the best and great combination in terms of chemistry and acting. They have very similar persona when it comes to comedy, drama, romance, and even variety. I am very curious to see them in variety together. They have same persona, and I felt it would be chaotic, fun, and funny. 

I believe the low ratings does not reflect their drama quality. It has to do with time slot and severe competition. The thing is that, even though there is competition, they did well in rerun and viewing online. 

The budget, location, and long distance travel were taking toll on them, and shortening the number of episodes. However, it is very good quality drama with best acting, chemistry, and plot. The drama has a lot of meaningful message: 

Yoobaek- overcoming his trauma- through love and truth about him have set him free

Kangsoon- overcome her fear to step out of comfort zone to become a woman she wants to become. 

Madol- to be free from unrequited love- his actions and wisdom have made him a better man but happier than ever when he met his true love. 

I would like to see more in Season two- to provide us more development on their growth. I am looking forward to see continuation of Jiseok and Somin's chemistry, Kangsoon becoming Seoul woman, Madol's growing relationship with Haewon, Yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom, and many more. The first one is Island life and the second one could be about life in Seoul. It will pose a lot of challenge for Kangsoon to provide a plot or twist. 

Some netizens and I like how the drama make it like a healing journey, and growth of character. A lot of comments said that this drama gave them sense of healing. It is rare kind to find in any other drama. 

The thing is that, the last two episodes is too much to crammed and rushed. We would like to extend little more to give us breather and glimpse of Kangsoon's experience in Seoul and Yoobaek's protectiveness over her in a strange world. 

Somin will continue to shoot with Running Man. I think she will agree with one drama offer and others will be mostly running man and small projects. She seems to be picky to do a big project. She dropped several offers. Jiseok will continue with Problematic Man. I think he will accept more offers since he showed a lot of great acting in top star yoobaek. I think he may get movie offer. I don't know it will be another male lead. He will be like second lead again to take a break. It is a lot of work to be first lead. In top Star, he had to a lot of work to make it more visible pleasing to bring popularity. He worked so hard. 

I actually like the the quality of Top Star Yoobaek. It has so many meaningful message behind it. And i really enjoyed Jiseok and Somin chemistry. They have so much to give. Even though they may not have season two, I would love to see them work together again or star their variety as guests. 

The huge part of the drama is the chemistry of Jiseok and Somin. They showed all acting skills from comedy to romance to drama. They are realistic, fun to watch, and lovely. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Hey guys, I attempted to make some KJS wallpapers. Check out the KJS actor forum for links :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

No to KJS taking a 2nd lead role ...:D . The guy has done his time with enough dramas of him not getting the girl . He needs to ride the wave of his popularity since Another Miss Oh & his MBC wins . He’s already 38 & has got plus minus 3-4 more years to be at the prime of his career.

———

A better translation of PD’s interview 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Christina Leong said:

The thing is that, despite tough shooting between the island and the city according to their schedule, I think they may have another way to handle the shooting schedule. They may spend little time in Island and more time in Seoul for shooting since Kangsoon has moved on to city to pursue her studies. I heard after the ending of the shooting, the island will begin to do renovation and development. SO if they have season two, the accommodation will be readily available. Season 2 will be a challenge due to location and weather. A budget posed a problem too since they have to provide travel and accommodation for whole team, casts, and staffs.  

However you mention about being curious about their next projects, I was more interested seeing them working again together in the future. They have the best and great combination in terms of chemistry and acting. They have very similar persona when it comes to comedy, drama, romance, and even variety. I am very curious to see them in variety together. They have same persona, and I felt it would be chaotic, fun, and funny. 

I believe the low ratings does not reflect their drama quality. It has to do with time slot and severe competition. The thing is that, even though there is competition, they did well in rerun and viewing online. 

The budget, location, and long distance travel were taking toll on them, and shortening the number of episodes. However, it is very good quality drama with best acting, chemistry, and plot. The drama has a lot of meaningful message: 

Yoobaek- overcoming his trauma- through love and truth about him have set him free

Kangsoon- overcome her fear to step out of comfort zone to become a woman she wants to become. 

Madol- to be free from unrequited love- his actions and wisdom have made him a better man but happier than ever when he met his true love. 

I would like to see more in Season two- to provide us more development on their growth. I am looking forward to see continuation of Jiseok and Somin's chemistry, Kangsoon becoming Seoul woman, Madol's growing relationship with Haewon, Yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom, and many more. The first one is Island life and the second one could be about life in Seoul. It will pose a lot of challenge for Kangsoon to provide a plot or twist. 

Some netizens and I like how the drama make it like a healing journey, and growth of character. A lot of comments said that this drama gave them sense of healing. It is rare kind to find in any other drama. 

The thing is that, the last two episodes is too much to crammed and rushed. We would like to extend little more to give us breather and glimpse of Kangsoon's experience in Seoul and Yoobaek's protectiveness over her in a strange world. 

Somin will continue to shoot with Running Man. I think she will agree with one drama offer and others will be mostly running man and small projects. She seems to be picky to do a big project. She dropped several offers. Jiseok will continue with Problematic Man. I think he will accept more offers since he showed a lot of great acting in top star yoobaek. I think he may get movie offer. I don't know it will be another male lead. He will be like second lead again to take a break. It is a lot of work to be first lead. In top Star, he had to a lot of work to make it more visible pleasing to bring popularity. He worked so hard. 

I actually like the the quality of Top Star Yoobaek. It has so many meaningful message behind it. And i really enjoyed Jiseok and Somin chemistry. They have so much to give. Even though they may not have season two, I would love to see them work together again or star their variety as guests. 

The huge part of the drama is the chemistry of Jiseok and Somin. They showed all acting skills from comedy to romance to drama. They are realistic, fun to watch, and lovely. 

Just to build off this post but does anyone know where this "island" is? I'm just curious as to its location.

And it was healing for me as well. It had no evil villains and it was sort of the first time when I didn't have to think about who the "bad person" was. It was an enjoyable piece that I thoroughly enjoyed watching when I was under a lot of stress at the time of broadcast, so I was very grateful to have found a work that I liked watching so much.

• Like 4